NCAA Tournament Week 2 of 3 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NCAA Tournament Week 2 of 3

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Didn't notice it in game, but per several trials of my very unofficial cell phone timing, it was 5.2-5.3 seconds. Not sure how this qualifies as a lame gripe, it's a cut and dry textbook rule of college basketball that you have 5 seconds to get the ball inbounds, and if you aren't able to inbound the ball in under 5 seconds, you lose possession. If the Huskies went over 5 seconds (which it appears they did) and the call was made, NC State would've had the ball back down 2 with 10 seconds to go.
Mine counted 4.9. Phew. Just made it. Lucky UConn.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
The lamest. Haters are left saying the refs counted to 5 too slowly. Okay.
The hilarious part is that the twitter video itself has a countdown timer on it. Liv gets both hands on the ball at 0:02 and releases at 0:06 (see bottom right of both screen caps).
Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 9.39.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 9.39.40 PM.png

If folks were critical of the refs on the Texas Tech / Arizona non-call at 2 seconds left when the TT guard was falling back aiming for a Hail Mary trey, there's no credible ref in the country calling a 5 second violation at 4.5 seconds with 10 seconds left in double overtime.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The hilarious part is that the twitter video itself has a countdown timer on it. Liv gets both hands on the ball at 0:02 and releases at 0:06 (bee bottom right of both screen caps).
View attachment 74959 View attachment 74960
If folks were critical of the refs on the Texas Tech / Arizona non-call at 2 seconds left when the TT guard was falling back aiming for a Hail Mary trey, there's no credible ref in the country calling a 5 second violation at 4.5 seconds with 10 seconds left in double overtime.
It's inaccurate. The ball is handed to her at the 1 second count

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 9.45.30 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 9.45.30 PM.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 106

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Didn't even need to continue reading after this. No more need be said.
Exactly. We now need an analysis of how UConn has benefited from uncalled 5-second violations over the past 20 years. I'm sure there's one at the ready.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Clock starts at the time of "disposal" of the ball by the ref to the inbounding player. "Disposal means the official has either handed the ball to the inbounding player or has otherwise made the ball ready for play."

In your screen cap it's clear Liv has just been handed the ball in one palm and is moving it into her other hand to prepare to be able to pass. IMHO, the ref has not "made the ball ready for play" when Liv barely has one hand on it. The second she gets her second hand on the ball is when I stopped and screen capped.

The Dijonai one was much more colorable than this, IMHO.
When Liv grabs the ball from the ref, she had two hands on it at her waist, then brings the ball overhead, smacks the ball to trigger the other players to start the play and puts two hands on it. In your screen cap it's after she's smacked the ball and you can see the ref is already signaling the first second. Based on the rules, IMO the ball was disposed before she brought it overhead.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'm sure they're as devastated as Notre Dame and Ivey were on Saturday. Sports can be cruel like that
Fall Over Oh No GIF by UEFA

At least ND is still a young team with most everyone of note returning. That was the most gut wrenching loss in the history of State WBB. Not sure when or if State gets back this far in the tournament again.

Reaction Score
While not as dramatic as that double OT last night, I'd like to give Michigan credit for a valiant effort against Louisville last night. Not sure if many thought they'd keep the game close after getting beat by 30 the last time. They went cold in the fourth and unfortunately were not able to capitalize on the stops they got in the second half.

Happy for Louisville at the same time. Watching Engstler with this team has been very entertaining in comparison to her playing days at Syracuse. The announcers are right, seeing her play man to man defence is something else! I think they match up well against South Carolina in some areas. Looking forward to this game.

Reaction Score
Congrats to both UCONN & Louisville. The UCONN vs NC State Game was so fun to watch. Geno looked spent after the game. Paige & Fudd are tremendous young players. Some serious clutch in both. I really like Wes Moore, and hope this helps his recruiting.

Reaction Score
Congrats to both UCONN & Louisville. The UCONN vs NC State Game was so fun to watch. Geno looked spent after the game. Paige & Fudd are tremendous young players. Some serious clutch in both. I really like Wes Moore, and hope this helps his recruiting.
I hope so as well. He's worked hard to rebuild this program. If recruits can't see that he develops players, they're not doing their research. I'd pay attention if he were calling my kid.

Reaction Score
Congrats to UConn and tip o' the hat to State - who proved that they were worthy of a one seed.

Best game I've seen in a while. Both teams gave it their all and left nothing on the court Uncontested shots were rare. Even the 3 pointers were well defended.

"One for the ages" might not be an overstatement.

Reaction Score
Congrats to UConn and tip o' the hat to State - who proved that they were worthy of a one seed.

Best game I've seen in a while. Both teams gave it their all and left nothing on the court Uncontested shots were rare. Even the 3 pointers were well defended.

"One for the ages" might not be an overstatement.
And definitely not for my heart rate................oh the stress last night! The shots of Elle Duncan's reactions were very relatable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom