NCAA Tournament, week 1 of 3 | Page 11 | The Boneyard

NCAA Tournament, week 1 of 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am surprised that I haven’t seen any posts on the Ohio St vs MOST game yesterday. That may be due to its telecast overlapping with the end of the UConn game and then with the Tennessee game. For those of you who didn’t tune in MOST jumped out to a huge lead during the first half. In the second half Ohio St came back. From the middle of the third quarter to the end of the game the score was very tight. With about 30 seconds left Ohio St had a short lead. Neither team had any timeouts. MOST had possession when their ball handler slipped to floor near the baseline. Rather than allowing herself to get tied up, and knowing no timeouts were available, the MOST player tried to throw the ball out of bounds off an Ohio St player. The attempt backfired as Ohio St recovered the ball and got fouled to victory. One of the announcers (I believe it was Holly Warlick) praised the MOST player for trying to make a great play with no timeouts. Unfortunately it was not a great play for MOST. It appears that the MOST player, the announcer, and maybe the MOST coach were not aware that MOST had the possession arrow pointing their way. All the MOST player had to do was let herself get tied up. It may have made a difference in the final result. This serves as a reminder to all coaches to make sure the players know the status of the possession arrow when telling them the timeout status at the end of a game.

Reaction Score
Kentucky hasn't reached the 2nd weekend even once in Rhyne Howard's career. Second round loss in 2019, 2nd round loss in 2021, 1st round this year.

I did just discover a cool bit of trivia. This was an exact rematch of a 1st round game in 2019, a 6/11 game between Kentucky and Princeton, which Kentucky won by 5 points. That was Banghart's last game as Princeton HC before selling out leaving for the UNC job.

So in that sense. Carla Berube has already one-upped her predecessor :)
Ryne Howard never beat Louisville in state rivalry. She sure looked her best down the stretch this year. Played like she cared.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kentucky hasn't reached the 2nd weekend even once in Rhyne Howard's career. Second round loss in 2019, 2nd round loss in 2021, 1st round this year.

I did just discover a cool bit of trivia. This was an exact rematch of a 1st round game in 2019, a 6/11 game between Kentucky and Princeton, which Kentucky won by 5 points. That was Banghart's last game as Princeton HC before selling out leaving for the UNC job.

So in that sense. Carla Berube has already one-upped her predecessor :)
It would appear that Banghart’s departure proved to be beneficial to all parties.
By the way, did anyone notice if Carla was pulled aside by a strange woman wearing gold lame after the Kentucky victory?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
So far in the Iowa/Creighton game Iowa is showing themselves to be the team I thought they were. They're offensive minded and defensive shy. They're susceptible a motion offense, to the 3 and the back cut. UConn beat them soundly last year and I don't see how that's changed.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Creighton is also getting away with a lot of rough stuff that isn't being called, especially against Clark. Creighton's experience playing against Paige is really paying off against Clark. The BE really stinks huh?

Reaction Score
Creighton is also getting away with a lot of rough stuff that isn't being called, especially against Clark. Creighton's experience playing against Paige is really paying off against Clark. The BE really stinks huh?
I thought Creighton had a shot in this game because they can hit shots. Iowa will outscore a lot of teams, but is open to giving up a lot of points. A lot of time to go, but if Creighton can get and hit open shots, they’ll give themselves an opportunity.

Reaction Score
For sure, JordyG. Caitlin has been mugged several times without a whistle and then gets caught reaching in. Looks like this'll be a test of her patience as games vs. Indiana were this season.

Mixed feelings for me, since I'll enjoy the tournament more with Iowa in it, but I'd love to see the Big East score an upset win.

JordyG

Reaction Score
BE looking real good right now. Creighton is rebounding, playing tough defense, and shooting

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
There were 2 drives to the bucket w/ a TON of contact and no foul for Iowa in the first quarter. Bluder was about to come unglued it looked like. On one of them the Iowa player got stitches in her chin after the "non foul."

Reaction Score
I'm surprised the 15,000 was the largest attendance since early 2000s. Especially with South Carolina and Tennessee arenas.

Reaction Score
There were 2 drives to the bucket w/ a TON of contact and no foul for Iowa in the first quarter. Bluder was about to come unglued it looked like. On one of them the Iowa player got stitches in her chin after the "non foul."
Block was clean. The ball hit her when she was on the floor.

Reaction Score
aLt8C7L.jpg

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Dang feel awful for Czinano...had a great look at the end and just missed it after carrying Iowa offensively today. Disappointing exit for Iowa and a rough finish for Clark who couldn't buy a shot in the 2nd half.

Serious props to Creighton and Jensen though. 19 points, game winner against her old team. Their ball movement and effort on the glass was phenomenal. Deserved win.

Reaction Score
But, but, but... according to our resident expert here, Creighton ISN'T a legit team. lololol

Reaction Score
Good for Creighton!! Representing for the BE. A Paige/Clark would have been fun to see; not this year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Congrats to Creighton. Strange game, started out at an incredible pace, but somehow turned into a grinder, with 2 high scoring teams. Both teams shot in the mid 30s. Brutal day for Clark, just couldn't find her shot. Even Czinano missed a bunch of shots she's usually money on. And nobody other than the Big 2 stepped up for Iowa today. Offensive rebounding and second chance points were huge for the Blue Jays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom