NCAA tournament update | Page 14 | The Boneyard

NCAA tournament update

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Much of the talk now among various conference officials and pundits is the NCAA Tournament, and presumably the NIT, should be postponed. This seems like a right decision, rather a motion to cancel. Obviously, health is the primary concern here, but postponement leaves open the possibility of post season play. We'll see what happens as the story develops.

Reaction Score
My son owns a Italian restaurant in Savannah. He was wondering what is going to happen. Well the mayor cancelled the the St. Patty's parade. However, it is still a huge draw. There still will be thousands roaming the city. So?

Not to worry, the Irish don’t know food, so they were not coming anyway, lol - FYI I’m both Sicilian and Irish

Reaction Score
If they do cancel the NCAA will likely claim "no fans" is not enough. Fans will travel and congregate at and around the arena anyways. With the hope they can somehow get in. The only solution will be to cancel outright.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
St Johns played #7 Creighton then at half time they canceled the game ...
That's even more dumb.

Reaction Score
Much of the talk now among various conference officials and pundits is the NCAA Tournament, and presumably the NIT, should be postponed. This seems like a right decision, rather a motion to cancel. Obviously, health is the primary concern here, but postponement leaves open the possibility of post season play. We'll see what happens as the story develops.
I could see them postponing and then doing the 1st 2 rounds on home courts so one team would not have to travel.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The bubble has officially popped. For everyone.

I am currently unemployed and looking for work.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
I could see them postponing and then doing the 1st 2 rounds on home courts so one team would not have to travel.
Not a bad thought...kind of like the NIT. Take every precaution to make sure we're in the clear in terms of minimizing health risks, and then if there's still a window, proceed with post season play. No one knows the timetable on this but I think it's good to be optimistic.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Not to worry, the Irish don’t know food, so they were not coming anyway, lol - FYI I’m both Sicilian and Irish
You have the best of both worlds. Wow Siggi and Irish, do you argue with yourself much? LOL

Reaction Score
Not a bad thought...kind of like the NIT. Take every precaution to make sure we're in the clear in terms of minimizing health risks, and then if there's still a window, proceed with post season play. No one knows the timetable on this but I think it's good to be optimistic.
Take a couple of week hiatus to see where we are. Play true regional games to minimize travel.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I'm all for a 2-3 week postponement or pausing to see where this is going.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
You’re speaking as if there is a 100% mortality rate in the elderly community... currently it is in the single digits, probably lower due to people having it and not even knowing. The hysteria is out of control. In the grand scheme of things SARS was much worse.... the Wuhan virus is killing around the same rate as the seasonal flu. Let’s not freak out people

If you were in a room of 100 people where half would become ill and 3 would die, you'd think a little differently.

What makes this not the flu my uninformed friend is that it can be spread for up to two weeks before symptoms show up and there is no vaccine to slow or halt the spread.

Hospitals will be overrun and even people who don't have corona will also die because said hospitals are overrun.

That is why this isn't the flu.

Reaction Score
1% fatality rate is insanely high for an airborne illness. Pandemic is the right word. A month of restricted travel and suspension of large gatherings seems about right.

The one thing the experts need to emphasize way more is the "airborne illness" aspect of this. Too much emphasis on washing hands and touching faces, which will have virtually no effect on the spread of the disease.

You only need to breath the same air as an infected person and you're likely to get it. It's the airborne transmission of the virus that makes this so difficult to deal with.

Not sure which doctor it was, but one of those infectious disease experts was quoted saying this virus is not tranmitted through the air unless someone coughs or sneezes right onto your face or other body part that you then touch to your nose, mouth or eyes.

He stressed it's transmitted from viral residues on surfaces and those can be active for a week. Someone else mentioned you should sneeze or cough into a kleenex and throw it away rather than sneezing or coughing into your elbow because the virus can remain active on your clothing for a week.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Pick the 66 teams and run an NBA 2k 19 (or whatever) tournament.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom