NCAA Top 16 Reveal set for Thursday Jan 18th | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NCAA Top 16 Reveal set for Thursday Jan 18th

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Mulkey decided to schedule UCLA Stanford and Kentucky. While both Stanford and Kentucky have fallen far short of expectations, is it fair to hold that against the coach as a poor scheduling decision?

Mississippi State has two top ten teams on its schedule
Baylor has three.

Three is more than two.

Why aren't we discsussing why MS State got dinged in the selection?

MS State's SOS per Massey is just barely above Baylor.

I get that the NCAA is probably not using the Massey measure, but maybe they should.

Reaction Score
Welp the Triangle swiped Connecticut's NHL team back in 1997. guess Connecticut's got its revenge almost 20 years later by swiping the Triangle's best WCBB player.... Id take that trade any day of the week.

View attachment 27874
As silly as I may sound: I'm pretty darn silly about Uconn having Azura and honestly I am pleased Duke warmed her up --and Geno got her. Some don't go along with my assertions that Azura Stevens is the player Uconn can ride to the NCAA NC--of course with lots of help from the core 5. Thanks Duke..

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Welp the Triangle swiped Connecticut's NHL team back in 1997. guess Connecticut's got its revenge almost 20 years later by swiping the Triangle's best WCBB player.... Id take that trade any day of the week.

View attachment 27874

Despised Karmanos then, despise him now. I will always have good feelings about Ron, Kevin, Ulf and the rest of the team.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Despised Karmanos then, despise him now. I will always have good feelings about Ron, Kevin, Ulf and the rest of the team.

Well as you may or may not know..... the team was sold.... was finalized last week. Hopefully the new owner will inject some new blood in the franchise. I dont live in the Triangle.... but from what I gather... Karmanos wasnt/isnt particular well-liked down there.

Reaction Score
Mulkey decided to schedule UCLA Stanford and Kentucky. While both Stanford and have fallen far short of expectations, is it fair to hold that against the coach as a poor scheduling decision?

Mississippi State has two top ten teams on its schedule
Baylor has three.

Three is more than two.

Why aren't we discsussing why MS State got dinged in the selection?

MS State's SOS per Massey is just barely above Baylor.

I get that the NCAA is probably not using the Massey measure, but maybe they should.
I will give her that. She also decided to schedule Lamar, Coppin State, Central Arkansas, North Dakota, McNeese and Nicholls.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I have no problem with this seeding at the moment. And if all of the teams given better seeds than Baylor continue to win then Baylor will have to be happy with the seed that they get. However, I Baylor were to beat UT twice, maybe a third time, how could the committee leave UT ahead of Baylor.

I hope that this motivates Mulkey to schedule some better OOC teams in the future. As a Baylor fan, I am bored to death with these OOC schedules. I want to see Baylor tested by other top teams, even it it results in a few losses.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
That was my thoughts exactly. Knowing she had a young team and not much depth I'm sure she tried to do a decent one but not too aggressive to give players time to learn and also help keep people off the injured list. I mean we did lose one in the Kentucky game to an ACL injury. I am fine with what they unveiled. Like they said if we started the tourney today this is where everyone would be seeded. ND deserves to their spot just like others ahead. Baylor may be better based on the eye test, but the eye test isn't the only factor. So in a few weeks when we do this again, I am sure this will change.

Even if they still ended up a no.3 seed maybe they would play with a chip on their shoulder.

That was my thought exactly, that a 3 seed could be a little chip on the shoulder that gives this team the “us against the world” mentality. The 1 and 2 seed certainly hasn’t helped us out in the past 7 seasons.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Didn’t the committee communicate this clearly? To me it seems like getting dinged was a conscious choice on Mulkey’s part.

The funny thing is, I haven’t heard any Baylor fans who are upset about this seeding. Nor has Mulkey said anything about it.

Which brings up the question, if Baylor supporters are not upset, why does everyone want to point out why we should be upset?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
None of this matters. By tourney time Alexis Morris will be playing lights out and Baylor will ready

Morris is ready now. Chou continues to be unpredictable on offense (0 points vs ISU) and will get less and less playing time as tourney time approaches. She allows Wallace to move to the 2, which is her natural position, which makes Baylor as talented a team as there is.

Reaction Score
The funny thing is, I haven’t heard any Baylor fans who are upset about this seeding. Nor has Mulkey said anything about it.

Which brings up the question, if Baylor supporters are not upset, why does everyone want to point out why we should be upset?
That occurred to me too - that she hasn’t complained. Good for her. Not sure the January “First Reveal” seedings are something anyone complains about anyway (except for Charlie Creme). I trust Kim will not be complaining in March either when she gets sent to Albany as a 3 seed?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
That occurred to me too - that she hasn’t complained. Good for her. Not sure the January “First Reveal” seedings are something anyone complains about anyway (except for Charlie Creme). I trust Kim will not be complaining in March either when she gets sent to Albany as a 3 seed?

Wouldn’t that be awesome. Get these girls out of the south.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I knew Duke was in, when I saw UGA on the screen. I looked at their remaining schedule... they get Lower Carolina, and Mizzou at home.... and TN on the road. They have a chance to be something like 25-4 or 24-5 headed into the SEC tourney.

Im still not sure if they are any good or not. They only had a 3 point lead @NCAT headed into the 4th quarter... and only won by 10.

When we play at Georgia it's more like a neutral court, kind of like some other games in neighboring states. :p

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score

Wow! Surely you have read the Baylor thread (that you just posted on twice in the last hour or so under a different handle) where the majority of Baylor posters are upset and in disbelief about the #9 ranking.

NCAA "First Reveal" | SicEm365

Last edited by a moderator:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Wow! Surely you have read the Baylor thread (that you just posted on twice in the last hour or so under a different handle) where the majority of Baylor posters are upset and in disbelief about the #9 ranking.

NCAA "First Reveal" | SicEm365

You will see multiple posts in that thread saying that we got the seeding that we deserve due to our cup cake schedule.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Well, the first #1 seed has taken it on the chin. What does it say about the committee that one of its #1 seeds has already lost?

Reaction Score
3 in the top 10 have lost. Baylor playing 3 in the top 25 before next reveal so if Baylor runs the table is it enough to replace OR as a 1. Cuz we know Or tenn & Ohio State are dropping

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Some good ol SWC rivals going back and forth on a AAC board :D

No more back and forth for me. I have an Ignore option and I’m not afraid to use it whenever I encounter an irritant.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Well, the first #1 seed has taken it on the chin. What does it say about the committee that one of its #1 seeds has already lost?

It says that Corvallis is a tough place to play, that's what it says. Were the #1 seeds from the first reveal supposed to go undefeated for the rest of the season?

JS

Reaction Score
No more back and forth for me. I have an Ignore option and I’m not afraid to use it whenever I encounter an irritant.
Feel free. Beats me having to edit some of the recent posts in this thread to civil them up.

And the edits are because I'm Mr. Nice Guy (or maybe because I share Triad's bemusement).

One-click solutions are easier.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Mulkey decided to schedule UCLA Stanford and Kentucky. While both Stanford and Kentucky have fallen far short of expectations, is it fair to hold that against the coach as a poor scheduling decision?
Actually, the Kentucky game was sort of forced on Mulkey as part of the SEC/Big 12 challenge. So, no way of knowing if she would have scheduled a weaker/stronger opponent in their place. Texas got Georgia, and Miss. State go Oklahoma State in that same conference challenge.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I think it is worth asking why Duke was not considered yet Georgia is in.

• Duke has a better RPI than Georgia.
  • Duke has a better SOS than Georgia (as measured by the RPI)
  • Duke is ranked higher by Sagarin than Georgia.
  • Duke is ranked higher in the coaches poll than Georgia
  • Duke is ranked higher in the AP poll than Georgia

What is the selection committee looking at?
I didn't see the Georgia pick coming at all. I don't know what to say about it other than, the committee must have been *very* impressed with Georgia's win over Texas A&M. It's true that Georgia doesn't have any bad losses (only losses are to Miss St and Texas), while Duke has losses to Miami and Villanova.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

For someone who claims to not be the least bit bothered by the topic at hand, you sure seem easily irritated about it.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I didn't see the Georgia pick coming at all. I don't know what to say about it other than, the committee must have been *very* impressed with Georgia's win over Texas A&M. It's true that Georgia doesn't have any bad losses (only losses are to Miss St and Texas), while Duke has losses to Miami and Villanova.

You could be right, but those two are not exactly chopped liver. Both have been in the top 25, both are likely Tournament teams. Given that the SOS of Duke is so much stronger than Georgia's they are essentially penalizing them for playing a tough schedule. I can't do the math easily, but if you take out those two losses, I wouldn't be surprised if the remaining schedule would still be tougher.

So which is it NCAA - should you schedule tough or not?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom