OT: - NCAA Softball | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: NCAA Softball

Reaction Score
Wow, what a game tonight with offense, offense and more offense, though very little of it by Oklahoma. There was one MAJOR BOMB hit that was really impressive. And last I had heard, the UCLA pitchers had not struck out ANY Oklahoma batters yet still won in a landslide. The 2 games back to back and late night finish and early media sessions did no favors to Oklahoma. I agreed with Jessica Mendoza that maybe the tournament should give a day to allow for rest and the proper media attention and promotion. Must win for Oklahoma tomorrow.
And the best news for me was no Adam Amin to have to listen to! :rolleyes:

my daughter's ex high school teammate finally got to up as a pinch hitter for UCLA in the seventh inning and proceeded to a hit a two run double..............she's never going to forget that one especially against Oklahoma in the big tournament.............just shows how deep UCLA is as she'd be starting for almost every other team in the country

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
my daughter's ex high school teammate finally got to up as a pinch hitter for UCLA in the seventh inning and proceeded to a hit a two run double....she's never going to forget that one especially against Oklahoma in the big tournament...just shows how deep UCLA is as she'd be starting for almost every other team in the country
I SAW THAT! It was awesome! You and I had discussed this a few times so you know I have passion for this sport and love this time of
Year. Sad it has to end.
I watched the UCLA -Loyala Marymount game last night after and the announcers were talking about the softball game with the new Hoop Coach who
Wanted to fly out to OKC with the rest of the AD today but has a recruiting visit to make.
Came full circle to basketball!

Reaction Score
I think part of the problem with softball (if it has one) is shared (based on the folks at PTI) with baseball - it is an age of home run hitting. There were several games this season where Arizona lost because of a lack of timely hitting - but we hit the 2nd most home runs in the country and have the individual leader. Even allowing that balls travel well here, we hit plenty on the road, as well.

That's why RISP is looked at more closely. Solo HRs don't kill you. It's walks and hits that lead to giving up HRs. HRs can be a deceiving stat. Timely hitting is what wins games.

South Carolina led the SEC in HRs this year in baseball but was one of the worst teams in the league. MS State's softball team had two of the best HR hitters in the country but was not a good team.

Reaction Score
I SAW THAT! It was awesome! You and I had discussed this a few times so you know I have passion for this sport and love this time of
Year. Sad it has to end.
I watched the UCLA -Loyala Marymount game last night after and the announcers were talking about the softball game with the new Hoop Coach who
Wanted to fly out to OKC with the rest of the AD today but has a recruiting visit to make.
Came full circle to basketball!

I feel badly that she gets so few at bats but that's big time sports for ya.............college softball can't be doing too badly, didn't the announcers say they are adding another four thousand seats to that stadium in the next year or two?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Well she's not a clutch hitter for nothing. Down to their last out and Oklahoma got a solo shot from Knighten to tie it up. UCLA still has the bottom of the 7th though.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
UCLA gets the lead runner on base, sacrificed her to 2nd...then on a sharp ground ball to short stop she tried to get to third and got nailed. I don't quite get that.

Well never mind, UCLA just won a Championship. Congrats to the Bruins.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I've seen some issues brought up about the size of the field in softball. I haven't watched every game, but from games I have watched, most outfielders just have weak arms. They can't make plays as is, expanding the field would make it even worse. UCLA just won on a bloop single to shallow LF with a runner on 2nd. Throw to the plate was bad. Catcher had to move several steps up the line and field it on one hop, couldn't apply the tag.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've seen some issues brought up about the size of the field in softball. I haven't watched every game, but from games I have watched, most outfielders just have weak arms. They can't make plays as is, expanding the field would make it even worse. UCLA just won on a bloop single to shallow LF with a batter on 2nd. Throw to the plate was bad. Catcher had to move several steps up the line and field it on one hop, couldn't apply the tag.

Yea a legit good throw, she would have been out at home easily

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
UCLA gets the lead runner on base, sacrificed her to 2nd...then on a sharp ground ball to short stop she tried to get to third and got nailed. I don't quite get that.

Well never mind, UCLA just won a Championship. Congrats to the Bruins.
Cue Bill Walton's refrain: "Conference of Champions!"

Reaction Score
I've seen some issues brought up about the size of the field in softball. I haven't watched every game, but from games I have watched, most outfielders just have weak arms. They can't make plays as is, expanding the field would make it even worse. UCLA just won on a bloop single to shallow LF with a batter on 2nd. Throw to the plate was bad. Catcher had to move several steps up the line and field it on one hop, couldn't apply the tag.

I can assure you there are some very strong outfield arms in softball, I think it's often just the pressure of making a good throw in a big situation.............

Duke softballer's throw impressed Yasiel Puig

Reaction Score
The WCWS was by far the most engaging entertaining sports venue this month! Better than the NBA, better than college baseball, better than any other sports. The entire tournament was great, but UCLA-Oklahoma was exceedingly exceptional. What great performances! No losers in that series...

Reaction Score
There are a lot of in game meetings that slow things down. Also, some batters leave the box and walk 25 feet away to consider the next pitch/sign. These two things slow things down and could be changed.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Some great discussions on here so let dissect:
The game ending play was awkward for the center
Fielder as the run to the ball was carrying her to 3rd base requiring her to Pick up the ball in her glove hand (left hand) and the transfer and throw across her body towards home. She actually made a strong throw that was inaccurate due to her body position.
The Oklahoma freshman shortstop made an awesome play from deep in the hole and showed a cannon of an arm.
Rachel Garcia, as noted, is an absolute stud both on the rubber and at the plate. The two games she pitched against this #1 offense in the country to hold them to 5 runs in 12 innings is impressive. This Oklahoma team hits singles, doubles, triples and home runs in every spot in the order. The point is they don’t just rely on HRs. To shut them down is truly impressive. I think she hit 72 or 73 mph a few times as well. That is a hardball equivalent of 102.
She is only a Junior!
The games were great this year so despite 15 of 16 seeds making the Super Regionals and 7 of 8 top seeds making the WCWS, most games were close affairs. Most ball and strike calls were consistent from game to game as well (which in past years was a major issue).
I could do without both Amin and Mowins over dramatizing every hit or out and sometimes allow silence to appear but I do like Mendoza and Smith.
One absolute stupid segment was Holly talking about diet and nutrition with UCLA. Seriously?
Great tournament overall.
So...now what do we do :confused:
Lastly, thank you administrators allowing a softball thread here and to all those who contributed as it was great to participate with you and indulging my interest. Drinks on the house!

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
There are a lot of in game meetings that slow things down. Also, some batters leave the box and walk 25 feet away to consider the next pitch/sign. These two things slow things down and could be changed.
The leaving the batter's box after every pitch drives me bonkers. One player, I believe that she might have been OK State's leadoff hitter, would step out and jump and down a few times and then return to the box, taking up time. There should be a rule that a batter can only exit the batter's box once per at bat and if they leave a second time, it's a strike - unless a timeout has been granted for another player (like the pitcher). As far as leaving to get a coach's signal, they can do that while in the box.
Another thing that gets me are players that hold up their hand, requesting a TO, when returning to the box. If you leave it, then get back in, ready to swing.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Some great discussions on here so let dissect:
The game ending play was awkward for the center
Fielder as the run to the ball was carrying her to 3rd base requiring her to Pick up the ball in her glove hand (left hand) and the transfer and throw across her body towards home. She actually made a strong throw that was inaccurate due to her body position.
The Oklahoma freshman shortstop made an awesome play from deep in the hole and showed a cannon of an arm.
Rachel Garcia, as noted, is an absolute stud both on the rubber and at the plate. The two games she pitched against this #1 offense in the country to hold them to 5 runs in 12 innings is impressive. This Oklahoma team hits singles, doubles, triples and home runs in every spot in the order. The point is they don’t just rely on HRs. To shut them down is truly impressive. I think she hit 72 or 73 mph a few times as well. That is a hardball equivalent of 102.
She is only a Junior!
The games were great this year so despite 15 of 16 seeds making the Super Regionals and 7 of 8 top seeds making the WCWS, most games were close affairs. Most ball and strike calls were consistent from game to game as well (which in past years was a major issue).
I could do without both Amin and Mowins over dramatizing every hit or out and sometimes allow silence to appear but I do like Mendoza and Smith.
One absolute stupid segment was Holly talking about diet and nutrition with UCLA. Seriously?
Great tournament overall.
So...now what do we do :confused:
Lastly, thank you administrators allowing a softball thread here and to all those who contributed as it was great to participate with you and indulging my interest. Drinks on the house!
I always enjoy the softball championship series. This year was exceptional. Lots of teams with more than one gifted player. UCLA had enough right handed hitters to get to the Oklahoma ace, I wish Bama had a few more righties, and we may have faced Garcia and her ursine mates.

Reaction Score
Another thing that gets me are players that hold up their hand, requesting a TO, when returning to the box. If you leave it, then get back in, ready to swing.

Players can only ask for time. If you noticed, the umpires almost never grant the batters time when they put their hands up.

Reaction Score
I can assure you there are some very strong outfield arms in softball, I think it's often just the pressure of making a good throw in a big situation...

Duke softballer's throw impressed Yasiel Puig
Yes, I totally agree--I saw some very strong arms, some great defensive plays, and very athletically gifted players. The pressure of throwing someone out to prevent the WCWS winning run is pretty incredibly formidable... I am never amazed by the lint-picking scrutiny and extremely acute critiquing that women's athletics seem to endure...

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I also saw outstanding defensive plays, didn't say otherwise. Some of the infield throws impressed me. I can only recall seeing 1 outfielder throwing to home and getting a runner. Most of the teams take an aggressive approach to base running, it doesn't seem like they have much respect for the arms of the outfielders. Compared to baseball it's night and day difference.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I also saw outstanding defensive plays, didn't say otherwise. Some of the infield throws impressed me. I can only recall seeing 1 outfielder throwing to home and getting a runner. Most of the teams take an aggressive approach to base running, it doesn't seem like they have much respect for the arms of the outfielders. Compared to baseball it's night and day difference.
They have gotten even more aggressive since the rule change about blocking the plate. Catcher cannot impede the progress of the runner (block the plate) unless they have the ball in their hand. Eliminates collisions and injuries, I get it, but the margin of error - not only on the throw, but on the catcher handling it - is much smaller than it was, because the catcher is waiting in a less than ideal position for the throw.

Arms do vary. Arizona has had some first rate outfielders who could get the ball in very well. Others not so much.

Reaction Score
If you are comparing the play of WCWS to pro baseball I agree that the level of defensive throwing is not as high,, but that isn't a fair comparison. A better comparison would be with the mens' CWS. If you watched the women's professional softbball league play I think you would be more impressed with the throws from the outfield.

A softball is larger than a baseball so there are differences in getting a good grip on the ball than there is with a baseball. On the catcher's end, handling the bigger ball and squeezing it in the glove to make a swipe tag is different than the same play with a baseball.

Reaction Score
I was impressed for a while with TN delayed steals against Barnhill and FL. I also noticed that in the World Series, stealing was replaced with conservative aggressive base running.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom