OT: - NCAA Softball | Page 7 | The Boneyard

OT: NCAA Softball

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Well at least my Huskies battled back to be one of the last 4 teams left. I think they have to play Oklahoma next? Won a pair of elimination games today. This last one was another putrid offensive performance but if you can get a complete game 16 K 3 hit shut out from your pitcher then I guess it's okay.

If Arizona can beat Alabama then it's a Pac 12 Invitational and they were nice enough to let Oklahoma join in.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Oops, UW vs. UCLA tomorrow. Oklahoma gets winner of Arizona-Alabama.

So...UW swept Arizona in Tucson, Arizona beat UW in OKC. Arizona took 2 of 3 from UCLA in LA, UCLA beat UA in OKC. UCLA swept UW in Seattle so clearly that means UW will beat UCLA in OKC, right?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Other than Alabama's drubbing of Florida, another day of not much offense. Pitchers are definitely the story of the WCWS so far this year.

UCLA vs. UW first game up tomorrow (UW has to win twice) and Oklahoma vs. Alabama to follow (Bama also has to win twice).

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Oops, UW vs. UCLA tomorrow. Oklahoma gets winner of Arizona-Alabama.

So...UW swept Arizona in Tucson, Arizona beat UW in OKC. Arizona took 2 of 3 from UCLA in LA, UCLA beat UA in OKC. UCLA swept UW in Seattle so clearly that means UW will beat UCLA in OKC, right?
Yes , and all men are Socrates!

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Another pitching duel. Not a lot of hits for either team, but more of the Huskies stranding base runners. 1 stinking run will win this game, they can't even do that.

edit--heading into the bottom of the 7th, scoreless, UCLA w/ 1 more at bat or we're heading to extra innings

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Extra innings we go. Garcia has been mowing down Huskies. Plain had a good outing but was lifted after walking the first batter in the 7th. Alvelo plowed thru the next 3 UCLA batters.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Alvelo saved in bottom of 8th by great catch by leftfielder on Garcia screaming liner. Wow.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Garcia wins it in bottom of 10th with 3 run homer after being robbed in 8th. NPOY shows up. Fantastic.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I have been trying to get into softball and I gotta say it would be more entertaining if anyone ever scored.

Pitching feels way too dominant. I guess it shows you what the MLB playoffs would look like if every team could start their ace every game.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I left after the top of the 9th. Dang. Well hats off to Garcia. Good season for the Huskies, there's always next year.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I have been trying to get into softball and I gotta say it would be more entertaining if anyone ever scored.

Pitching feels way too dominant. I guess it shows you what the MLB playoffs would look like if every team could start their ace every game.
I tend to agree. It’s been hard for me to get thrilled by it. Very pitching dominant.

I wish they’d just let women play baseball. The notion that females can’t pitch overhand or need a larger ball and a smaller field just seems so antiquated.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I also am not a softball follower in general but I was fascinated by the control and dominance of the top line pitchers. And the tension in the OT games was great. Nice to watch a game when you do not have any skin in it.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
In my opinion, Florida State does not have the quality of pitching that they had last year. Not surprising since their number 2 and number 3 pitchers are freshman. Meghan King is a proven and very good pitcher, but she is not what I would call overpowering. She has come up big when it counts the most, though. Florida State's defense is good also. However, they will have to continue to score runs in bunches to repeat as national champions (which I would like to see happen).

I think the final two will be Oklahoma and UCLA.
Looks like you have a leg up on @Carnac in the prognostication department. Bama gave the Sooners a run for their money, but faltered in the rubber game of the match. And you did it all without the turban too!

Reaction Score
It is said in baseball that good pitching beats good hitting. This may be even more true in softball. UCLA and Oklahoma have the best pitching although Garcia's arm may fall off by the end of the series. Oklahoma started hitting the ball last night. If they keep that up, UCLA will have their hands full.

Reaction Score
Someone on the OK bench figured out something and passed it on to the hitters. This explains the OK hitting explosion late in the game.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I tend to agree. It’s been hard for me to get thrilled by it. Very pitching dominant.

I wish they’d just let women play baseball. The notion that females can’t pitch overhand or need a larger ball and a smaller field just seems so antiquated.
Having coached baseball for 20+ years and played it for another 15 years, I can tell you the Major league diamond distances do not translate well for females. Very few would hit for the power and have the speed to leg out hits or throw with the strength needed. This is purely a physiological discussion.

They could do a modified field of 50/70 and fences of 300 that would be on par with the current male equivalent based on size and strength.

The women do play with a smaller basketball due to hand size.

Mostly just moving the mound back 5 more feet would make the game more interesting. That and better analytics to show bunting is wasting an out. Do more hit and runs or allow runners to steal when the pitchers start their lunge forward in the windup and slightly before the ball Leaves their hand. Also re-entry of pitchers should not be allowed unless they stayed in the lineup and on the field after they were taken out.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
UCLA and Oklahoma have the best pitching

I honestly think Washington's pitching is that the same level, but their offense was M.I.A. in OKC.

Reaction Score

Softball is really its own game, and even some baseball fans will tell you it's a better product as a game. Faster pace, 7 innings, small ball. Those are all things I enjoy about softball.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Wow, what a game tonight with offense, offense and more offense, though very little of it by Oklahoma. There was one MAJOR BOMB hit that was really impressive. And last I had heard, the UCLA pitchers had not struck out ANY Oklahoma batters yet still won in a landslide. The 2 games back to back and late night finish and early media sessions did no favors to Oklahoma. I agreed with Jessica Mendoza that maybe the tournament should give a day to allow for rest and the proper media attention and promotion. Must win for Oklahoma tomorrow.
And the best news for me was no Adam Amin to have to listen to! :rolleyes:

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Wow, what a game tonight with offense, offense and more offense, though very little of it by Oklahoma. There was one MAJOR BOMB hit that was really impressive. And last I had heard, the UCLA pitchers had not struck out ANY Oklahoma batters yet still won in a landslide. The 2 games back to back and late night finish and early media sessions did no favors to Oklahoma. I agreed with Jessica Mendoza that maybe the tournament should give a day to allow for rest and the proper media attention and promotion. Must win for Oklahoma tomorrow.
And the best news for me was no Adam Amin to have to listen to! :rolleyes:
Glad to see Mendoza back! I seriously believe the loss to Bama, and therefore the necessary third game , put Oklahoma off their game. Sooners star pitcher Giselle Juarez struggled against right handed batters , and mowed down nearly every lefty on Bama's team. UCLA knocked her out early with some nice contact hitting coupled with Oklahoma errors , and they never let up. Big game tonight. Beth Mowins swoons over and talks incessantly about the great dynasty at Oklahoma. I think she might get disappointed this year.

Reaction Score
Didn't get to see the game last night as I had other pressing things that needed to be dealt with. I wonder if the Oklahoma seniors might be pressing a bit?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Mostly just moving the mound back 5 more feet would make the game more interesting. That and better analytics to show bunting is wasting an out. Do more hit and runs or allow runners to steal when the pitchers start their lunge forward in the windup and slightly before the ball Leaves their hand. Also re-entry of pitchers should not be allowed unless they stayed in the lineup and on the field after they were taken out.
I think part of the problem with softball (if it has one) is shared (based on the folks at PTI) with baseball - it is an age of home run hitting. There were several games this season where Arizona lost because of a lack of timely hitting - but we hit the 2nd most home runs in the country and have the individual leader. Even allowing that balls travel well here, we hit plenty on the road, as well.

Also, the change in rule regarding slapping - no portion of the foot outside the box when contact is made - has also had a factor.

Arizona's field is made of concrete (just joking). But it is (intentionally) hard, because in addition to power Arizona made a living with slapping and small ball for years.

I doubt you'll see a change to softball's substitution rules, because I doubt they would single out a pitcher as unable to return when everyone else can. Given the roster size and lack of depth at most schools, enabling a starter to come out once and return makes sense and even livens up a game. Plus you have the whole DP and flex stuff to deal with. And as to leading off - in the way you suggest - probably too difficult to enforce.

But I do agree that some games are just snoozers. Also, they have been taking longer postseason than they seemed to in season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom