OT: - NCAA Softball | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: NCAA Softball

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Watched 2 games today. In both there was a runner going home called out when it was not that close - the runner was safe. In one the color commentator on play back told it like it was. Really unfortunate calls. Hate to see it.
Oddly enough, softball went to 4 umps for postseason this year, up from the usual 3. Not so much calls at home, but calls on the base-paths didn't seem to improve, and I would think they should have. As near as I can tell, the umps were having problems with positioning, being used to a whole different set of circumstances.

In general, I find softball calls to at times be arbitrary and, unfortunately, just wrong. Unlike women's basketball, where one can argue "is it / isn't it a foul", safe and out are kind of basic. The closest to judgement calls are the "interference" calls, some of which can be as bizarre as your worst WBB Sally Bell or whomever nightmare.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Oddly enough, softball went to 4 umps for postseason this year, up from the usual 3. Not so much calls at home, but calls on the base-paths didn't seem to improve, and I would think they should have. As near as I can tell, the umps were having problems with positioning, being used to a whole different set of circumstances.

In general, I find softball calls to at times be arbitrary and, unfortunately, just wrong. Unlike women's basketball, where one can argue "is it / isn't it a foul", safe and out are kind of basic. The closest to judgement calls are the "interference" calls, some of which can be as bizarre as your worst WBB Sally Bell or whomever nightmare.
Sally Bell ... to this day I just shake my head in bewilderment at how an official of her caliber could've ever been deemed to be at the top of her field.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Sally Bell ... to this day I just shake my head in bewilderment at how an official of her caliber could've ever been deemed to be at the top of her field.
Just to clarify my comment - I used her because so many folks on the board agree with you. I actually don't, I thought Sally was a good ref and the proof being that everyone dissed her, regardless of teams. The worst I can say is that when she was wrong, it was spectacularly wrong, but I didn't think it was particularly often. Some others I could name . . .

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Ah Sally Bell: " Therefore, send not to know. For whom the bell tolls, It tolls for thee." Her personal motto I understand.
577537915467d.image.jpg

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Oklahoma St. took game 1 @ Florida St. tonight. Announcers were saying whoever wins the first game at Super Regionals advances 79% of the time. Alabama beat Texas in the other game tonight.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
folks had a softball on a desk signed by 'bertha tickey.' as a kid, I asked 'whatsa bertha tickey?' gramps said 'you have no idea about a world, long gone, where brakette softball literally ruled it, and thousands would head over to Stratford to watch 'our girls.' if I was around then, i'd be there since there'd be at least one, maybe two, ice cream cones innit for me, after one of those famous stratford hot dogs. gramps would also talk about 'the king and his court, the queen and her court' and other softball stuff from wayback. sounded like good times.
Bertha, Joan Joyce, Donna Lopiano, Mickey Stratton, the Frog Pond and fireworks on the 4th of July were huge memories of my childhood as well.
That said, I was able to listen to the end of the FSU-OSU game and the whole Alabama and Texas game. The highlight for me was listening to Coach Murphy’s in game interview right after Merris Schroeder HR. He was extolling her effort as she has a teaching internship that limits her practice and was so sincere while also welcoming Jessica Mendoza back to softball. It out a huge smile on my face. i know @Bama fan must be very happy tonight! Congrats.
The OSU game was good and has been believing in them much to my own surprise.
What a great weekend ahead!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Two good games last night, although I didn't like the outcome of the first game too much. The umpire in the Oklahoma State - Florida State game had a very tight, but consistent, strike zone. Credit to both pitchers that they kept both offenses in check for most of the game with that restriction. It's hard to keep good offenses held down when you don't get calls allowing you to extend the strike zone off the edges of the plate.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Two good games last night, although I didn't like the outcome of the first game too much. The umpire in the Oklahoma State - Florida State game had a very tight, but consistent, strike zone. Credit to both pitchers that they kept both offenses in check for most of the game with that restriction. It's hard to keep good offenses held down when you don't get calls allowing you to extend the strike zone off the edges of the plate.
There seems to be n emphasis on calling a tight strike zone in this tournament. Many umps have tightened up their zone. As long as it stays consistent, then it is fine. But several games have been plagued with inconsistency. However, the FSU vs Ok St game was not one of them. It was a good game, with an unexpected outcome.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
Bertha, Joan Joyce, Donna Lopiano, Mickey Stratton, the Frog Pond and fireworks on the 4th of July were huge memories of my childhood as well.
That said, I was able to listen to the end of the FSU-OSU game and the whole Alabama and Texas game. The highlight for me was listening to Coach Murphy’s in game interview right after Merris Schroeder HR. He was extolling her effort as she has a teaching internship that limits her practice and was so sincere while also welcoming Jessica Mendoza back to softball. It out a huge smile on my face. i know @Bama fan must be very happy tonight! Congrats.
The OSU game was good and has been believing in them much to my own surprise.
What a great weekend ahead!
Patrick Murphy is a great ambassador for NCAA softball. He always thanks fans for coming and watching. He is a gracious host to former players regardless of their school affiliation He drives me nuts with some of his tactics in game, but I am glad he is at Bama. RTR!

Reaction Score
There seems to be n emphasis on calling a tight strike zone in this tournament. Many umps have tightened up their zone. As long as it stays consistent, then it is fine. But several games have been plagued with inconsistency. However, the FSU vs Ok St game was not one of them. It was a good game, with an unexpected outcome.
I have noticed that as well. Perhaps the NCAA wants to have higher scoring games as that is perceived to make the game more exciting and fun to watch (although I don't necessarily agree that this should be the approach).

Reaction Score
I noticed last night the slappers were called out for contact outside the batters box.

Bama fan

Reaction Score
I noticed last night the slappers were called out for contact outside the batters box.
This trend began last year, but really took off this year. Brown, Bama's lead off batter was called out twice last night. And she has struggled all year with this issue. Texas also had a batter called out for it. Guess these slappers just cannot help it. It is terribly frustrating to have a player called out, and it be such a waste. Last weekend Ms Brown was on base an insane percentage of times, and really sparked the team. So perhaps some umps are just more inclined to call it? It causes my wife to have apoplexy each time Brown bats though! ;)

Reaction Score
I think the addition of the fourth umpire was to, in part, help the plate umpire with the enforcement of the rule as it is very difficult for the plate umpire to see both the slappers' feet and the pitch coming in.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
One thing that I don't like about the strike zone emphasis that occurred during the Regionals and now in the Supers is that many of the home plate umpires peer over the shoulder of the catcher, the right shoulder when a lefty is batting and vice versa. I don't remember a lot of umpires doing this during SEC games but IMO, they miss a lot of outside close calls and basically look at where the catcher catches the pitch. Last weekend, the catcher set up outside for the pitch at the last moment, the pitch went exactly where planned...right down the chalk and the ump called it a strike. The announcers were speechless. That was just the most obvious of many missed calls so far.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I actually prefer strikes to be called that actually cross a part of the plate and not in the other batter box as was the case in prior years. Watching K after K looking was not fun nor interesting. Most of the games I have seen this season have been consistent for each team (good and bad). I also feel there are a lot more left handed pitchers this year compared to prior years. All in all, this years field is more wide open than in the past. Even mighty Oklahoma has only scored 3 runs today.

Reaction Score

The NCAA changed the rule last year from the foot having to be completely out of the batter's box to any part of the foot being out of the batter's box.

I personally don't like the rule change. With that said, I don't like slappers either. I'm a grip it and rip it person!

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Arizona vs. Ole MIss is sloppy so far. Whoever makes less mistakes wins, but it's a dead heat at this point.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Here I was thinking outfielders never, ever throw anybody out at the plate, and then it just happened. Generally speaking though, the outfielders really do not have cannons for arms. Saw one yesterday w/ a pop up to shallow left field and the runner was still able to tag up and score from third.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Arizona got in a groove after a shaky start, Ole Miss kept making mistakes. UA did a good job of playing small ball. 5-2 win, no home runs.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Never seen that before. Alabama laid down a bunt, Texas catcher tried to throw to 2nd to get the lead runner but beaned her own pitcher in the head. Damn. She was down on the ground for a while but was able to get up on her own eventually.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well that's a bit surprising. Washington pulled Alvelo after only 3 2/3 innings. She didn't have her best stuff but she has a shutout going still. Runners at the corners w/ 2 down for Plain. Huskies up 2-0.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Wow. Texas was down 4-0 and their own catcher knocked their starting pitcher out of the game, but they've come back to take a 7-5 lead in the 5th. They've won 4 straight elimination games.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Washington wins 3-0. Offense was fairly anemic but you don't need much if you can get a shutout. Again Bates and Flores were involved in one way or another with all of the scoring. Bates scored a run and had an RBI and Flores hit a solo shot (her 4th HR of the playoffs).

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Florida St.-Oklahoma St. and Alabama-Texas are both going to a game 3 tomorrow.

Reaction Score
This trend began last year, but really took off this year. Brown, Bama's lead off batter was called out twice last night. And she has struggled all year with this issue. Texas also had a batter called out for it. Guess these slappers just cannot help it. It is terribly frustrating to have a player called out, and it be such a waste. Last weekend Ms Brown was on base an insane percentage of times, and really sparked the team. So perhaps some umps are just more inclined to call it? It causes my wife to have apoplexy each time Brown bats though! ;)
Slappers cheat--everybody knows it--until they get caught but it doesn't usually happen. That why slappers try to obliterate batters box if ump will let them get away with it. It's only in higher profile games that umps try hard to call them on it. But if you've been cheating the entire season, it's hard to correct at that point if it is the first time you've been called on it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom