NCAA Softball Tournament | Page 15 | The Boneyard

NCAA Softball Tournament

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
It's all my fault. I turned the game on just in time to see Alo's 2 run blast. After the next 2 batters got on base and there were still no outs, I turned the game off so Florida St. might have a chance. I definitely jinxed them.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
This is the point where Florida St gets the Oklahoma we all know would show up eventually. All 3 pitchers have been used from both sides, no more secrets at this point.

Taylon Snow is playing on 8 fingers, btw. I mean she's out of the game currently, but just find that interesting.

Regardless what happens in game 3, this game needs to go to a Game 3. Just a pity the game is so early on Thursday because of the NBA.... I forgot the NBA was even around anymore after 1998.

Reaction Score
I need to figure out how I can watch it live. May be a little late tuning in. Oklahoma needs to finish it today first.

Reaction Score
I really thought FSU had enough to hold on until that OK top of the 6th. Congratulations to Jocelyn Alo for being named NPOY. From watching her during high school, there was a reason why she was the most feared at bat in Hawaii HS softball. So proud to see Hawaii athletes be successful on the national stage.

Reaction Score
That game ran more to the expected form. FSU's bats cooled off (G. Jaurez had something to do with that of course) and Oklahoma's bats woke up. On to game three.

It's been an interesting series. Unfortunate that the final game is not being played in prime time.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
My observations of this years full WCWS has been one of glaring coaching and base running mistakes costing teams best opportunities to comeback to win. Game 1 of this Ok-FSU series proved the point Gasso screwed up a BASIC coaching principle in sending a running home while losing 8-4 in the 6th for the second out. The tying run is in the on-deck circle so sending the runner is so unbelievably dumb, it’s confounding. The fact Michelle Smith nor Jessica Mendoza highlighted that huge gaff was also highly frustrating. I wouldn’t expect Beth Mowins to even remotely understand that context. I shouldn’t be that surprised as Alabama also has some huge gaffs on the bases and nothing was said.
While I want to like Gasso, some of her comments leave me perplexed and thinks she’s feeling entitled. Yes, it’s unfortunate that rain delays caused UCLA-Oklahoma to run late and the FSU-OSU game to last until 2:20 AM (Central time) but that’s what happens in tournament play when the next days schedule demands winners to play. It happens all the time in travel baseball and softball and the players love it!
Yes the COVID testing the next morning was unfortunate but Loni was not the least bit irritated and rolled with the punches, yet Gasso wants to sound off? Gasso makes the most money in WCSB and needs to behave as the leader and ambassador she’s paid to be. I was with her on the lack of committee transparency but this bit of whining is a “bridge too far” for me.
The other issue that was unfortunate but necessary was the postponement of both 2nd games Sunday night that caused today’s title game at 3 PM. Hey, weather happens and roll with the punches. So everyone please Stop complaining.
The Oklahoma offense is impressive but this is not the best team ever as was being touted. The fact #10 seed FSU is one game away from the title leads credence to @SimpleDawg comments that Loni may be the best “coach” and Gasso the best recruiter. Tune in at 3 PM to see who wins.

Reaction Score
If the game is close.....FSU may want to consider walking Alo. She IS impressive.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Lonni Alameda putting the season on the line testing a freshman pitcher whos rarely pitched.

Reaction Score
Game. Sooners WCWS National Champs. 5-1. Juarez impressive. MVP.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Is it maybe time to talk about not having OKC host every year? The Sooners enjoy a ridiculous advantage every year, w/ 90% or more of the crowd vigorously rooting for them.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Is it maybe time to talk about not having OKC host every year? The Sooners enjoy a ridiculous advantage every year, w/ 90% or more of the crowd vigorously rooting for them.
You can talk about it. Don't expect anyone to listen. The expansion of the stadium triggered a contract into the 2030's.

On the plus side, OKC is a great place to visit. The stadium was nice before (we went in 2004 and 2012) and now, wow.

The 2 negatives are the OKC weather (we didn't go in 2013 because of the predicted and on-going spell of bad weather they were having) and the home field advantage for Oklahoma.

Reaction Score
Men’s is the same every year. Omaha. Cornhuskers would have same advantage.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Men’s is the same every year. Omaha. Cornhuskers would have same advantage.
Yeah, but they aren't a powerhouse like OU softball are they?

edit--it would be more like if the women's volleyball Final 4 was in Omaha every year--it's only there every third year, or at least it seems like it. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score

edit--it would be more like if the women's volleyball Final 4 was in Omaha every year--it's only there every third year, or at least it seems like it. :rolleyes:

I think it’s an interesting debate. OU made the WCWS from 2000-2004 and didn’t return again until 2011. Since 2011, they have made the WCWS every year with the exception of 2015 and of course 2020.

Their last championship win before this afternoon’s happened in 2017. They’ve only been runner up twice in 2012 and 2019. Overall, they won the WCWS in 2000, 2013, 2016, 2017 and 2021. While I do agree there is an advantage, it doesn’t necessarily result in them winning as much as one would think.

Reaction Score

I'm not sure that's the point whether or not they're a powerhouse. If they did make it to the World Series, then it's an issue?

I agree that it's an advantage to have the home crowd, but until they randomly choose different sites, it's not going to change.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom