NCAA slams Louisville - 2013 banner coming down | Page 5 | The Boneyard

NCAA slams Louisville - 2013 banner coming down

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Just saying, Louisville was the school you'd think had the first pick in the "new head coaches draft." Wonder if all that's come out will make Mack reconsider? Not saying he's coming here, if not there though.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Always felt vacating wins is the most hollow punishment ever. USC tells their recruits about their most recent championship regardless of what the record books state, and Louisville will do the same. Kevin Ware already spoke up about how he still has his ring, nothing has changed. At least they're making them pay back some money, but I guarantee you they made a lot more than $600k off a title and 2 final fours
That ring has already increased in value at least 10 times because of the anomaly that this decision created
However if the FBI decision cause others the same type of action to others - it's back to whatever the weight of gold and jewels demands

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Just saying, Louisville was the school you'd think had the first pick in the "new head coaches draft." Wonder if all that's come out will make Mack reconsider? Not saying he's coming here, if not there though.
I doubt this will have any effect on a coaching search
1. No future sanctions as far as conference or NCAA tourney appearances
2. Lville plays in the ACC
3. They play in an arena fit for a pro team
4. Their on campus facilities for the team are awesome

Without future sanctions this means nothing to incoming kids or coaches. UConn got hurt worse in 2012-2013 as far as negativity in recruitment

Reaction Score
I doubt this will have any effect on a coaching search
1. No future sanctions as far as conference or NCAA tourney appearances
2. Lville plays in the ACC
3. They play in an arena fit for a pro team
4. Their on campus facilities for the team are awesome

Without future sanctions this means nothing to incoming kids or coaches. UConn got hurt worse in 2012-2013 as far as negativity in recruitment
Except the NCAA will investigate them further as they are clearly one of the schools under FBI investigation. And because they are already on probation there will be further penalties.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
May take:

1) The NCAA, which is one of the most corrupt, vile and tone deaf organizations, are the ones handing down the ruling.

2) The fact that there's a good chance every major college program has done, or continues to do, the same things that got Louisville in trouble.

The games were played, the results happened and anyone who's a fan of the sport knows damn well who won.

The idea that you can wipe away history is just stupid.

UCLA was more corrupt than any school in the history of the game. Call me when they vacate their titles and than I’ll take nonsense like this more seriously.

Vacating things is no penalty at all.

It’s like someone screaming ‘I never loved you’ in the middle of a breakup.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
While your overall point isn't off, I'm thinking that a professional prostitute ring run by the coaching staff and sponsored by the athletic budget ain't all that common.

Go to a football game in the south.

They print the girls pictures in the game program.

Somehow it’s worse if the women get paid? Seems to me I’d prefer my school bring in pros and leave the coeds out of it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Go to a football game in the south.
They print the girls pictures in the game program.
Somehow it’s worse if the women get paid? Seems to me I’d prefer my school bring in pros and leave the coeds out of it.

Went to school in the SEC.

Leaving legality aside, there's a different dynamic to being an enthusiastic participant versus a hired hitman.

I consider it in a similar vein to cheerleading, spirit squads etc. Coeds are 50% of the reason to attend college after all.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
That ring has already increased in value at least 10 times because of the anomaly that this decision created
However if the FBI decision cause others the same type of action to others - it's back to whatever the weight of gold and jewels demands
I was told today (from a very good source) that there is little chance that whoever wins the tournament this year will walk away unscathed from the FBI investigation. Basically every school that is reasonably in the hunt will take a hit from this.

Reaction Score
Yeah, this is just dumb........Louisville is the 2013 Champion, leave the banner up & just remove "NCAA" from it.

Also, the Fab Five made 2 Finals, no matter what the NCAA says.

You can take whatever you want from the Squid but once you let UNC off the hook for their decade long "fake separate athlete college" I say everyone else gets a lifetime pass.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I feel bad for the honest, hardworking staff and students of the university. It's a shame that their lives have to be negatively impacted by the sins of a few but...
It's kind of you to take note of this, because there are honest, hardworking staff and students there. And UofL was notably using athletic prominence to raise the university's profile academically. Both have been a source of pride for a pretty nice medium-sized city, and this hurts.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's kind of you to take note of this, because there are honest, hardworking staff and students there. And UofL was notably using athletic prominence to raise the university's profile academically. Both have been a source of pride for a pretty nice medium-sized city, and this hurts.

Does it?

They could vacate every UConn win over the past 25 years and it would not change anything in my mind.

Reaction Score
The only people who focus on the past are those who are going nowhere in the present and future. Louisville and its fan base can get over this very quickly by being good.

Reaction Score
Cringed pretty hard at the doing it but the Sportcenter snap story today was them piling on about Pitino’s tattoo

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The only people who focus on the past are those who are going nowhere in the present and future. Louisville and its fan base can get over this very quickly by being good.
Would "being good" include arranging for prospective recruits to get paid $100,000 to go to Louisville?

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I am sorry if I sound naive but what does vacating wins do? I mean, the games happened, you can't take that away. I guess I don't get the punishment. Is there any real impact besides taking down a banner in the arena?
That is a great point. Could imagine, just saying, all those wins are transferred over to the losing team? AND they missed the Big Dance by 1 win? Ouch. Never happen. Or a team who missed the NIT because they were short 1 win for 500?

Reaction Score
The only thing it really means is that they are no longer listed as national champions in the record books. It is effectively no penalty at all in my view. It isn’t a forfeit so nobody else gets to claim the title.

I know people like to compare this with UNC but this is a totally different beast. UNCs matter in effect was a question of who gets to decide which classes count. No way the NCAA could win that. This one is providing whores for basketball recruits. They always win that

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The only thing it really means is that they are no longer listed as national champions in the record books. It is effectively no penalty at all in my view. It isn’t a forfeit so nobody else gets to claim the title.

I know people like to compare this with UNC but this is a totally different beast. UNCs matter in effect was a question of who gets to decide which classes count. No way the NCAA could win that. This one is providing whores for basketball recruits. They always win that
Well unless they were available free of charge for any student, then the UNC rule would apply.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
If only The Squid could receive a dose of similar karma...

Reaction Score
Well unless they were available free of charge for any student, then the UNC rule would apply.
Even then, nope. Unless they were being graded. And the grades counted toward a degree. That only happens at Wesleyan.

Reaction Score
2011 is really when recruiting took off for Louisville. That year they signed Behanan (#22), Blackshear (#27), Zach Price (#58), and Ware (#71). Interestingly, none of those guys really panned out. Price transferred to Winthrop after two years on the bench, Behanan was booted from the program in the middle of his junior year (though he was quite productive on those two teams), Ware transferred to Georgia State nine games into his junior season, and Blackshear stuck around all four years but was never really that good.

But the two final four teams - especially the one in 2012 - were heavily reliant on kids like Stephan Van Treese (#268), Russ Smith (#295), and Kyle Kuric (#280 or so). Jared Swopshire, Chris Smith, Mike Marra, and eventually Luke Hancock were pretty far off the grid as well. Add Dieng and Siva, who were well regarded top 50 prospects, but far from can't miss, and that's pretty much your foundation for those teams. Louisville won all the games they did by recruiting for their system and then working their balls off. If you want to make some moral declaration, have at it, but from a basketball perspective it'd be pretty ridiculous to downplay their accomplishments. I don't take any pleasure in the skewering of Louisville and Pitino for the reasons that they're such easy targets. The calculus here was the same as it was when they banned UConn - we're not going to disrupt established royalty and prestige so instead we'll bring the hammer down on really good program that's more expendable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom