NCAA slams Louisville - 2013 banner coming down | Page 4 | The Boneyard

NCAA slams Louisville - 2013 banner coming down

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
rickpitino_tat02.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am sorry if I sound naive but what does vacating wins do? I mean, the games happened, you can't take that away. I guess I don't get the punishment. Is there any real impact besides taking down a banner in the arena?

Exactly. They've already reaped the benefits from those seasons in terms of recruiting and their brand; vacating the wins does nothing.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
....by cheating. No it doesn't change that. It that's important to you.

By providing impermissible benefits under NCAA rules.

Lmao. Yes, only Louisville has provided impermissible benefits to players.

Gotta love the Boneyard. The NCAA is the most corrupt organization in the world, until they penalize one of our rivals.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How did they cheat? Use 6 men on the floor? Get extra timeouts? Please.
Lmao. Yes, only Louisville has provided impermissible benefits to players.

Gotta love the Boneyard. The NCAA is the most corrupt organization in the world, until they penalize one of our rivals.
So if anyone cheats anywhere, everyone can cheat everywhere?

C'mon CHB you are better than that.

Reaction Score
The only desired outcome from a UConn perspective isn't happening. They sell out their football games or close. ACC won't touch the money.

Academics? Hello UNC.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Always felt vacating wins is the most hollow punishment ever. USC tells their recruits about their most recent championship regardless of what the record books state, and Louisville will do the same. Kevin Ware already spoke up about how he still has his ring, nothing has changed. At least they're making them pay back some money, but I guarantee you they made a lot more than $600k off a title and 2 final fours
Louisville has to give back all the Conference monies they received for the years in question with estimates of
$1 - $15 million.
Louisville appeal denied; must vacate '13 title

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
What do you call "Campus Recruiting Hostesses"? It doesn't absolve Louisville, it's more of an indictment on college athletics than anything.

Unpaid college students looking to have a good time? And I'm quite certain they aren't required to have sex, unless they want to. Not in the same ball park.

I mean, it's kind of a lame move, but the recruits are going to be taken to the best parties available anyway. Doesn't change the dynamic all that much.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Louisville has to give back all the Conference monies they received for the years in question with estimates of
$1 - $15 million.
Louisville appeal denied; must vacate '13 title
It is all the conference NCAA Tournament money where the divide the tournament revenue between all teams in the conference. NCAA is not touching the true revenue stream which is the Conference TV contracts with ESPN.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
More proof that Louisville getting the invitation to the ACC is one of the biggest scandals ever in NCAA history (although surely a step down from the sex assault cases of Penn State, Baylor, Michigan State and others of that ilk).

They cheated, lied and allegedly bribed their way in - shows that trying to do it the right way does not work. Sure, there has been room to hate on Herbst and Hathaway/Manuel. But I submit once again that they had to be willing to get in the mud to win that invitation, and they were not willing to go there.

I for one have pushed the narrative in other threads over the last few years that Florida State and Clemson along with Boston College and Syracuse played a major role in keeping us out, and there is plenty of evidence to back up that angle of how Louisville was chosen over us. But it is also crystal clear that Louisville sold their souls in so many ways to get there.

Just proves that guys like ACC Commissioner John Swofford, many of the ACC school Presidents combined with Jurich and Pitino are some of the dirtiest, scummiest people out there. And what do they all have in common? They have all lined their pockets by using and abusing this system of exploitation they themselves helped to propagate.

God, I hate this whole damn intercollegiate athletic system. It has gone a long way to ruining what was one of the fun parts of my life since starting college - rooting for our beloved UConn Huskies. The highest rewards continually go to the biggest cheaters - and most if not all of the collateral damage seems to fall on the innocent people, and not the perpetrators themselves.

And before anyone points out that "they took away the title and the Final Four appearance from the year before in addition to Pitino and Jurich getting fired last September" as if this is some kind of significant retribution, just remember that Pitino still has his millions of dollars earned through his continual misdeeds and malfeasance, AND he is still a member in good standing of The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame - and I'll wager they never kick him out, either. Jurich still has his millions, too.

Pathetic and Disgusting... and yet the beat goes on.
I feel just as you do
God, I hate this whole damn intercollegiate athletic system. It has gone a long way to ruining what was one of the fun parts of my life since starting college - rooting for our beloved UConn Huskies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So if anyone cheats anywhere, everyone can cheat everywhere?

C'mon CHB you are better than that.

Let me reframe my argument. What Louisville did was pretty bold and pretty bad. I'm not absolving them for that. I just think it's a lot more common than anyone wants to admit.

I'm just rolling my eyes at vacating a past title. That doesn't deter anyone from committing and certainly does nothing to cloud my memory of them winning the title. Financial penalties (which they did) and removing future scholarships would be better if you want to punish the program.

Unpaid college students looking to have a good time? And I'm quite certain they aren't required to have sex, unless they want to. Not in the same ball park.

I mean, it's kind of a lame move, but the recruits are going to be taken to the best parties available anyway. Doesn't change the dynamic all that much.

As mentioned, Louisville was probably worse than most. I just think people that are shocked (not saying you are) but the end game is pretty much the same.

Reaction Score
NCAA never wants to touch the thing that would make the biggest difference. Take their money. NCAA goes after the small $$ from tournament and bowl revenue, but they need a process to take the teams off TV and relinquish TV related conference revenue.
The minute something like that is on the table is the minute the P5 finally does what it's ultimately going to do anyway: fully break away from the NCAA to form their own semi-pro sports league.

Reaction Score
Always felt vacating wins is the most hollow punishment ever. USC tells their recruits about their most recent championship regardless of what the record books state, and Louisville will do the same. Kevin Ware already spoke up about how he still has his ring, nothing has changed. At least they're making them pay back some money, but I guarantee you they made a lot more than $600k off a title and 2 final fours
Maybe it does mean something.

Josephine Potuto, a law professor at Nebraska, said when she served on the NCAA committee on infractions, they ended up doing more when it came to vacating wins.

"Initially, everybody thought this is something additional we can do, but it's not going to have much impact," said Potuto, who served as committee chair from 2006 to '08. "We were all wrong. It has a lot of impact. Schools don't want to lose those wins. Coaches don't want to lose those wins, and they fight like crazy over the vacation. It has more impact than you may be giving it credit for, particularly if they're going to lose a national championship off it."

Louisville's fall always comes back to Rick Pitino

Reaction Score
Maybe we, as Uconn fans, can hold of on the gloating until Uconn is cleared of any wrongdoing?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Maybe we, as Uconn fans, can hold of on the gloating until Uconn is cleared of any wrongdoing?

Maybe so, but we don't have anything else at the moment. I miss crushing our enemies, seeing them driven before us, and hearing the lamentations of their women. Let me have this. One time.

I'll worry about the future when it gets here.

Last edited:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
In a round about way you could say seeing that we are Uconn we are always under investigation as far as Emmert
is concerned

UCONN exists in a perpetual state of NCAA double secret probation!

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
I'd prefer loss of scholarships and sanctions on recruiting over vacating wins.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
What do you call "Campus Recruiting Hostesses"? It doesn't absolve Louisville, it's more of an indictment on college athletics than anything.
FWIW it looks like college athletics (men's basketball at least) is on its way to being indicted, basically as a whole.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom