NCAA rules on SC's Cooper | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NCAA rules on SC's Cooper

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Dawn should not have applied for a waiver for Cooper! Cooper should have to sit out this year by the SEC! Shepard deserved hers because of Yori.
"Deserves"? Based on what? Shepard stayed a Nebraska 1 full year after Yori was gone.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Based upon her "personal reasons " whatever those were. Whatever they were, it worked for her. Oh, yeah and it's the Golden Dome. :rolleyes:
I feel you, HOWEVER, I was on this board (mostly solo) complaining a year before when NCAA made Chatrice White of FSU immediately eligible. What was most outrageous about that decision is that White had a teammate at Illinois (Brooke Kissinger) who transferred at the exact same time to Creighton and Brooke Kissinger had to sit and Chatrice White did not. That was not right so when Shepard situation came around I kind of expected the NCAA to do something that was inconsistent.

Reaction Score
Maybe the Shepard decision for ND helped Dawn's decision to request a waiver even though she still waited quite a while after that NCAA ruling
Ya think? However I would think a less volatile person would think ---hey let's give a try, nothing to lose and would have not done the interim comments they added nothing positive to the decision making

Reaction Score
Based upon her "personal reasons " whatever those were. Whatever they were, it worked for her. Oh, yeah and it's the Golden Dome. :rolleyes:

I know this is not the thought process of choice but:
The NCAA made the decision on the poetry or verse that ND handed to them. Unless Muffet has a file of infidelities on the decision makers--I would think the NCAA alone is responsible for any decision.
Like ND (I do) or don't--you can't blame them for the decision.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
The decisions, for or against, are so random. I don't think players should have to sit for a year. Students on academic scholarships don't have to sit out of their major for a year if they transfer. The NCAA promotes this bogus argument that they're "for" student athletes, but they're not; they're "for" making money and their member institutions making money.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I know this is not the thought process of choice but:
The NCAA made the decision on the poetry or verse that ND handed to them. Unless Muffet has a file of infidelities on the decision makers--I would think the NCAA alone is responsible for any decision.
Like ND (I do) or don't--you can't blame them for the decision.
I don't blame ND directly nor am I implying that they did anything wrong. I just believe some schools are treated "special" solely based upon their reputation and the money that they probably make for the NCAA. Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
I don't know why everyone appears to assume Cooper has a pro career ahead of her.
A light in a darkened tunnel. Apparently, though, Dawn thinks the kid has game--or why would she rant so?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The decisions, for or against, are so random. I don't think players should have to sit for a year. Students on academic scholarships don't have to sit out of their major for a year if they transfer. The NCAA promotes this bogus argument that they're "for" student athletes, but they're not; they're "for" making money and their member institutions making money.
In full agreement with you on the first two sentences. Don't see how money factors into this situation, my guess is the NCAA & schools loses more money by making then sit out. The athlete are still on scholarship, room and board, meal money are still dished out. If a star athlete is sitting that is less people coming to see the team play & less eyeballs if you on TV. Take the year Diamond had to sit at TN for example.

Reaction Score
I don't blame ND directly nor am I implying that they did anything wrong. I just believe some schools are treated "special" solely based upon their reputation and the money that they probably make for the NCAA. Just my opinion.
\

It was not my intent to imply infer or otherwise think you said or did anything wrong--this is an OPINION FORUM--as such ALL opinions should be seen, agree or don't.
Some organization, like ND, have many years of experience writing grants, applications, waivers--they know how to do it. That would give the image of "special treatment" . I won't deny there may be some--only those inside know yea or nay. My oft posted words were to indicate ONLY---that just because ND presented a waiver that was accepted ND didn't do anything unusual or illegal.

Reaction Score
I tend to agree with this posting on the basis : No decisions involving young adults should be "random" to the extent possible, which means full and complete rules for transfer should be published. Without exceptions. EXCEPTIONS are always questionable, up for bias, special treatment--or the image of .

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, the team that the person is transferring from also has insight on the waiver. I had read somewhere where Nebraska did not oppose Shepard playing right away. While I betcha Tenn did oppose Cooper playing without sitting a year.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
But one has to wonder why the NCAA granted the waiver to ND and not to USC.What could have been the differences and deciding factors in the 2 cases? I can't blame Dawn for being a little angry.

Very simple. ND makes more $$$ for the NCAA than SC does. These things really aren't complicated.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Very simple. ND makes more $$$ for the NCAA than SC does. These things really aren't complicated.
Not so simple, Texas and Ohio State are top 2 money makers. Ohio State has more WCBB transfers than anyone, yet every tOSU and Texas transfer for WBB has had to sit.
FSU is middle of the money pack some FSU transfers like Imani Wright had to sit while others Romero and White were immediately eligible. Money is clearly not the explanation.
The 27 schools that make at least $100 million in college sports

Reaction Score

I like players having to sit out a season, but coaches should have no ability to limit transfer destinations and I think they ought to look at exempting the sit out season from eligibility limitations (i.e. sitting out a season should not count against your 5 to play 4).

It's an instance where the schools that have provided scholarships are probably deserving of a little protection against poaching, but you should definitely let players leave if they have a mind to.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
While looking at the HoopGurlz ratings from 2014, I was reminded of Chatrice White who initially went to Illinois under Matt Bollant. However after her sophomore year and amid racial discrimination charges (some other stuff too), White asked for and got a release from Illinois (April 2016). It was reported that her father said she did not transfer due to the charges and just wanted to compete in the postseason somewhere. She enrolled at FSU and immediately applied for a waiver. The waiver was granted on Sept 26th 2016.

I bring this up as the NCAA has been on record as doing this for players (maybe it's just players from Nebraska???) when there has been disharmony in programs and the player was deemed a good soldier.

Bollant was summarily dismissed in March 2017 with one year left on his contract. So to me, the NCAA has been fair to students and not biased towards "programs".

SC was reaching too far on this one due to Cooper's own behavior.

This did lead me to wonder about Natalie Butler who left Georgetown after their coaching shakeup and Z leaving Duke after that flair-up and if they applied, would they have been granted immediate eligibility?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
W

I bring this up as the NCAA has been on record as doing this for players (maybe it's just players from Nebraska???) when there has been disharmony in programs and the player was deemed a good soldier.

Bollant was summarily dismissed in March 2017 with one year left on his contract. So to me, the NCAA has been fair to students and not biased towards "programs".
Couple of knowledge gaps here:
Bollant initially survived the discriminations allegations and law suit and was allowed to coach an addition year at Illinois. Only an assistant coach was fired I believe. One of the people making the allegations was Taylor Tuck, Morgan's sister. Taylor graduated from Illinois. Two other Illinois players Jacqui Grant & Amarah Coleman transferred to DePaul. A third Illinois player Taylor Gleason transferring to Oakland University. ALL three Illinois players involved in the discrimination suit against Bollant had to sit out a year after transferring.

Chatrice White & Brooke Kissinger played an additional season after the discrimination charges against Bollant. Kissinger transferred to Creighton at the same time Chatrice transferred to FSU. Kissinger had to sit a year at Creighton, White was granted a waiver request by the NCAA. White & her father vocally supported Bollant. Illinois "likely" supported White’s waiver request -aka thanks for supporting the coach. The NCAA is not being biased IMO it is being stupid. If the circumstances were bad enough for White to get a waiver then it should have been bad enough to grant the players involved in the suit the same protection. In fairness I have no idea if Kissinger or any of the other players involved in the suit requested a waiver. Regardless, it is not a good luck when the only person transferring that receives a waiver is the one that so vocally supported the coach.
This did lead me to wonder about Natalie Butler who left Georgetown after their coaching shakeup and Z leaving Duke after that flair-up and if they applied, would they have been granted immediate eligibility?
Natalie Butler was not the only player to transfer from Georgetown as a result of that very messy coaching situation in Nat's Freshmen year. Shyla Cooper also transferred to tOSU after the first semester. Both Shyla and Natalie had to sit a year so there is at least consistency. To the best of my knowledge neither player pursued a waiver request. Regarding Azura Geno was quoted as saying UCONN looked into the waiver request and decided not to pursue it because “there was nothing there and it would have been dishonest to make someone think there was.”

Reaction Score
Regarding Azura Geno was quoted as saying UCONN looked into the waiver request and decided not to pursue it because “there was nothing there and it would have been dishonest to make someone think there was.”

That could be a relatively pointed thing to say perhaps.

I get the sense more and more programs are pushing the hardship waiver in WBB. Strange because it isn’t really happening much in the major men’s sports.

The waiver parameters need to be better defined and more consistently applied. So a rule change seems like the thing if that’s where they are going with it.

I hate to be more restrictive but what’s the sense in the rule if it’s going to apply to matters of convenience or be up to the former school’s recommendation.

NCAA needs to figure out whose interests they are looking out for and hold a line somewhere.

Reaction Score
North Carolina anyone

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom