NCAA rules on SC's Cooper | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA rules on SC's Cooper

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
They are completely different cases.

Shepard's request was for "personal reasons". We don't know exactly what those are. We do know that Natalie Romeo left Nebraska in the wake of Connie Yori's resignation and was cleared immediately to play for Washington, so perhaps it had to do with the coaching situation even though Shepard stuck around a year with the new coach. We also know that Shepard left Nebraska in good standing and Nebraska cooperated with the transfer request.

Cooper's "hardship" was having to sit out a second straight year after missing last year with an injury. Well...don't transfer, then. I can't imagine that the NCAA wants to set a precedent that anyone who sits out a year with injury gets to transfer and have the residency period waived. In theory, she chose to transfer. But we know why she transferred. Per local media, Tennessee was not going to renew her scholarship due to her role in a dorm-room fight with Jaime Nared. What's the hardship? That her old school didn't want her there any more?

If she hadn't got in disciplinary hot water, she could be playing for the Lady Vols right now. The supposed "hardship" is totally of her own making.
On their face the two situations are different, but it’s always been baffling to most of us what Shepard’s “personal reasons” could have been after deciding to come back to Neb for her sophomore season, and by all accounts, having an excellent year playing for a fine young coach. If anyone had “personal reasons” to transfer, clearly Cooper did.

While some fault the NCAA for inconsistency, I think the responsibility for Cooper not being eligible clearly lies with Dawn. If Staley had initiated a well considered waiver request around the same time as ND, it would have been far more difficult for the NCAA to accept one request while rejecting the other.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
We are perhaps digging too deep to find difference and ignoring the most obvious. Chatrice White (Illinois) and Jessica Shepard ( Nebraska) both had the support of the school from which they departed for the waiver request because they left those schools on good terms. Cooper did not leave TN on good terms.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
On their face the two situations are different, but it’s always been baffling to most of us what Shepard’s “personal reasons” could have been after deciding to come back to Neb for her sophomore season, and by all accounts, having an excellent year playing for a fine young coach. If anyone had “personal reasons” to transfer, clearly Cooper did.

While some fault the NCAA for inconsistency, I think the responsibility for Cooper not being eligible clearly lies with Dawn. If Staley had initiated a well considered waiver request around the same time as ND, it would have been far more difficult for the NCAA to accept one request while rejecting the other.

Cooper had personal reasons to leave but I can't imagine "I had to transfer because they pulled my scholarship" or "My teammates don't like me because I started fights with them" are ever going to be the basis for a successful waiver request.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The biggest difference between the Cooper and Shepard waiver cases is that in the Cooper case we pretty much know the entirety of the arguments in support of her waiver petition and in the Shepard case we know next to nothing about the arguments in support of her waiver petition. Shepard initially said she was transferring to Notre Dame so she could play for championships and develop her game. Once the waiver petition was filed, the transfer became about a "hardship" (Muffet's term) and "personal reasons" (Shepard's term).

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The biggest difference between the Cooper and Shepard waiver cases is that in the Cooper case we pretty much know the entirety of the arguments in support of her waiver petition and in the Shepard case we know next to nothing about the arguments in support of her waiver petition. Shepard initially said she was transferring to Notre Dame so she could play for championships and develop her game. Once the waiver petition was filed, the transfer became about a "hardship" (Muffet's term) and "personal reasons" (Shepard's term).
I don't know that that is entirely true. We do know much of the Shepard context and have two conflicting statements from her-1. A Quote that she wanted to contend for a championship to someone (I have not seen it but it has been referenced many times) and 2. Her request to the NCAA on a "personal reasons" basis. They both conflict.
What we also know is the Yori situation led to the NCAA allowing any athlete from that team to transfer and immediately play. Shepard stated she would stay and give the new staff a chance. She stayed a year, decided that she wanted to transfer after having given the new staff a chance and receivec the public blessing of the staff to transfer. I think her good standing with the staff and the fact all her teammates (I thought there was one other besides Romero?) who did transfer and were allowed to play right away, forced NCAA's hand to allow her to play also.
Cooper, who had numerous minor infractions with the Lady Vols and I repeat numerous game suspensions, was by all accounts a bad seed, so her petition never made sense to me. Why Dawn thought it logical escapes any sense of logic, plus she doubled down by taking verbal shots at the NCAA. I do think she would get a 6th year to play if she petitioned. I also am bemused that some think her game is WNBA/pro eligible even though we don't know the skill set. She showed glimpses her freshman year but so what, we all need to see more. Maybe she is, maybe she isn't and how she plays next year will the determining factor...if she elects to stay. I hope she does but something doesn't quite feel right on this...

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
If it were up to me, I'd grant a waiver to anyone who wanted to get away from JPM :p
"whistle"...that's a two minute infraction on an unsolicited body check to an unsuspecting party! I hear ya but in fairness to JPM, she has behaved very well since the allegations and her off-court contributions to numerous charities and community involvement are second to none in her profession.

I am curious as to what the dialogue is around ND and why Boley, in particular, transferred. That hurt ND the most.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
We are perhaps digging too deep to find difference and ignoring the most obvious. Chatrice White (Illinois) and Jessica Shepard ( Nebraska) both had the support of the school from which they departed for the waiver request because they left those schools on good terms. Cooper did not leave TN on good terms.

Perhaps. Occam's razor.

Although I've been critical of Dawn's public statements about Cooper's petition (more hurtful than helpful), I do get the sense that Dawn knows a lot more about the Shepard case than any of us will ever know.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
"whistle"...that's a two minute infraction on an unsolicited body check to an unsuspecting party! I hear ya but in fairness to JPM, she has behaved very well since the allegations and her off-court contributions to numerous charities and community involvement are second to none in her profession.

I am curious as to what the dialogue is around ND and why Boley, in particular, transferred. That hurt ND the most.

Yeah, I'm just joking about JPM. She just looks awfully unpleasant on the sidelines at times. But that can be said of most coaches.

I don't know anything about why Boley transferred and yes, it was a major blow. I did think it was interesting that Lindsay Allen retweeted this on April 11, one day after the Patberg and Boley transfers were announced.
upload_2018-1-26_11-13-22.png

LA is not prolific on social media and about the last person who I normally would expect to throw shade, so I thought that retweet was awfully interesting. Could be unrelated/coincidental, though.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Perhaps. Occam's razor.
Although I've been critical of Dawn's public statements about Cooper's petition (more hurtful than helpful), I do get the sense that Dawn knows a lot more about the Shepard case than any of us will ever know.
Nailed it!
Shepard visited South Carolina before visiting and deciding on ND.

Reaction Score
Nailed it!
Shepard visited South Carolina before visiting and deciding on ND.

You can be pretty sure that Shepherd never disclosed a personal hardship to Staley as a reason why she was transferring and Shepherd was quoted stated her reason pretty plainly. Staley would not have known what Notre Dame put in the waiver, but she was extremely surprised and frustrated when it was granted. Remember, Staley has taken transfers before and would have a good idea of the process. They may have even asked for a waiver for Davis or Gray.

Now maybe Shepherd shared some reason with Notre Dame she did not share with South Carolina and maybe it would good reason and maybe even the NCAA saw that on the third review. Or maybe Notre Dame just gave themselves enough time to fight and the NCAA chickened out at at the end as they are prone to do in the face of conflict.

I don't really see the purpose of having a sit out season if whether you actually have to sit out is an exercise in complete ad hoc discretion by NCAA officials who apply no consistent standard. I'm more irritated at the waivers granted than the ones denied.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You can be pretty sure that Shepherd never disclosed a personal hardship to Staley as a reason why she was transferring and Shepherd was quoted stated her reason pretty plainly. Staley would not have known what Notre Dame put in the waiver, but she was extremely surprised and frustrated when it was granted. Remember, Staley has taken transfers before and would have a good idea of the process. They may have even asked for a waiver for Davis or Gray.

Now maybe Shepherd shared some reason with Notre Dame she did not share with South Carolina and maybe it would good reason and maybe even the NCAA saw that on the third review. Or maybe Notre Dame just gave themselves enough time to fight and the NCAA chickened out at at the end as they are prone to do in the face of conflict.

I don't really see the purpose of having a sit out season if whether you actually have to sit out is an exercise in complete ad hoc discretion by NCAA officials who apply no consistent standard. I'm more irritated at the waivers granted than the ones denied.
I'm only in agreement with you on your second to last sentence.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Curious about what particular dialogue? Erin Boley?
Like Orangutan, I have not heard anything about why Boley left, but do know ND put no restrictions on the transfer and did so immediately.

As for her transfer being the happening that hurt the most... gosh when Joe Frazier fires in jab after jab after jab, which one do you remember more? ;) Which was causes the most damage?

ND's had so many moving parts this year that it would've been interesting to see where and how Erin would be used. My gut is she would have probably be used as part of a "big" rotation with Jessica Shepard and Kat Westbeld, with Koko Nelson coming into fight behemoth types.

Late last season, she was hitting the elbow jumper well once Westbeld went low last year to fill the low post once Brianna Turner went down.

On the other hand, she could have been used as a small forward from time to time against larger teams. In the last few games, you see MM playing some combination of Shepard, Westbeld, Nelson and freshman Danielle Patterson across the back of 2-3 zone to give a bigger look and also give Jackie Young, Arike Ogunbowale and/or Marina Mabrey a spell. Boley could've been used in a similar fashion.

The obvious offensive area I think she would've helped most in is, not surprisingly, shooting. Mid- to long-range shooting. Mabrey's added responsibilities have affected her long-range accuracy, so it would've been great to have Erin out there to spread out the defense.

Next year will be interesting when -- knock on hardwood -- Brianna Turner returns, presumably to the low post, with Shepard setting up in the high post made vacant by Westbeld's graduation. Shep might do more damage there, particularly with her passing abilities. If Boley was still around, she'd still be in a rotation. Since she's not, one of the Danielle's will get a shot at spelling Shep in the high post: sophomore Patterson or frosh Cosgrove.

Meanwhile in Oregon, I expect Ionescu's assist total to notch up even higher once Boley steps on the court in Eugene to start shooting her accurate and picture-perfect-form jumper.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Curious about what particular dialogue? Boley?
Like Orangutan, I have not heard anything, but do know ND put no restrictions on the transfer and did so immediately.

As for her transfer hurting the most, gosh when Joe Frazier fires in jab after jab, which one do you remember more? ;)

ND's had so many moving parts this year that it would've been interesting to see where and how Erin would be used. My gut is she would probably be used as part of a rotation with Jessica Shepard and Kat Westbeld, with Koko Nelson coming into fight behemoth types.
She was hitting the elbow jumper well once Kat went low last year to fill the low post when Turner went down.

On the other hand, she could be used as a small forward from time to time against larger teams. The area I think she would've helped most in is, not surprisingly, shooting. Mabrey's added responsibilities have had an effect on her long-range bombing, so it would've been great to have Erin out there, along with Mabrey and Ogunbowale.

Next year will be interesting when -- knock on hardwood -- Brianna Turner returns and Kat Westbeld graduates. Turner will presumably go back to the low post, with Shep setting up high. She might do more damage there, particularly with her passing abilities.

I expect Ionescu's assist total to fly even higher once Boley steps on the court in Eugene.

Not sure you should get too excited over the prospect of a Turner/Shepard duo just yet considering how rocky the Stevens/Collier start has been.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Not sure you should get too excited over the prospect of a Turner/Shepard duo just yet considering how rocky the Stevens/Collier start has been.

I actually think it will work pretty well. Shep and Bri played together on U.S. teams and they're very much complimentary players. Offensively, Shep can pull it out a little where she has a surprisingly nimble first step. And, if anything, she'll be able to uncork the mid- to long-range jumper that she has. This has been shelved a bit because she is the low post at ND this year.

As stated, they know each other's games. Just as importantly, they like and respect each other -- Turner is probably one reason Shepard came to ND.

Will their be some growing pains? Sure. But I think this one will bear some fruit.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I actually think it will work pretty well. Shep and Bri played together on U.S. teams and they're very much complimentary players. Offensively, Shep can pull it out a little where she has a surprisingly nimble first step. And, if anything, she'll be able to uncork the mid- to long-range jumper that she has. This has been shelved a bit because she is the low post at ND this year.

As stated, they know each other's games. Just as importantly, they like and respect each other -- Turner is probably one reason Shepard came to ND.

Will their be some growing pains? Sure. But I think this one will bear some fruit.
Dillon, thanks for the overview-my one question is will Turner actually return? Given the short shelf life a player has and her skills well known by all, what does she gain by coming back? I am all for her to return but similar to Tuck, what is her upside-to win a National championship would be the only one I can think of.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
From today:

However, Staley also said she has yet to hear the official explanation for why Cooper’s waiver was denied from South Carolina’s chief compliance officer, Chance Miller, or the NCAA.

“Here’s what I believe happened,” Staley said. “They called our compliance officer who worked at the NCAA. So they gave him the answer, and then they were going to follow up with why. And I want to know the why. And obviously I don’t have it yet, but he’ll get it to me.”

So, someone from the NCAA calls SC's compliance officer -- who used to work at the NCAA -- and delivers the bad news but not the reasons why. Is there a written decision that's being delivered by carrier pigeon?

Te’a Cooper’s case for hiring a lawyer? It’s worked elsewhere, Staley says

Reaction Score
From today:

However, Staley also said she has yet to hear the official explanation for why Cooper’s waiver was denied from South Carolina’s chief compliance officer, Chance Miller, or the NCAA.

“Here’s what I believe happened,” Staley said. “They called our compliance officer who worked at the NCAA. So they gave him the answer, and then they were going to follow up with why. And I want to know the why. And obviously I don’t have it yet, but he’ll get it to me.”

So, someone from the NCAA calls SC's compliance officer -- who used to work at the NCAA -- and delivers the bad news but not the reasons why. Is there a written decision that's being delivered by carrier pigeon?

Te’a Cooper’s case for hiring a lawyer? It’s worked elsewhere, Staley says
It's like pro sports. Everyone is in the whirlpool of the beast. It's why new coaches are always old coaches. Teams that hire former NCAA employees seeking an edge should get screwed.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Dillon, thanks for the overview-my one question is will Turner actually return? Given the short shelf life a player has and her skills well known by all, what does she gain by coming back? I am all for her to return but similar to Tuck, what is her upside-to win a National championship would be the only one I can think of.

Hey there: Will be short and sweet this time because I'm running out the door for a road trip. Everything my colleagues (and I) have read coming out of Notre Dame/related press/Bri seems to indicate that she intends to come back next year.
Maybe she feels she has unfinished business on the court and wants to make a run with Shep, Marina, Arike and Jackie?
Has a decent grad course chosen? Combo thereof? Could she change her mind? Sure. Hope not.....

Reaction Score
Time to make the money! I agree!

Reaction Score
Dawn should not have applied for a waiver for Cooper! Cooper should have to sit out this year by the SEC! Shepard deserved hers because of Yori.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom