NCAA Revenue Sharing Update | Page 5 | The Boneyard

NCAA Revenue Sharing Update

Reaction Score
Looks like NIL will come in house per ESPN

"Nick Carparelli, executive director of Bowl Season, told ESPN at the Fiesta Bowl Spring Summit this week that his understanding from speaking with conference commissioners and NCAA president Charlie Baker is that NIL collectives are destined to be brought in-house and there have been discussions about contracts in exchange for NIL payments."
Yeah, that's kind of what I was expecting. Looks like the shortest route to capping potential liability. Now they just have to figure a way to get thousands of student athletes to agree to collective bargaining without employment protections and we're ready to roll! ;)

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Take UConn for an example. They are arguably the top program right now in Men's and Women's basketball and they don't make money in their athletic department. How does a school that isn't the top of their sport expected to even come close to having money to pay athletes?
Syracuse has that media money, they will be just fine.

Reaction Score
As I said, the money will be coming out of the NCAA Men's & Women's Basketball Tournament. Instead of BBall being revalued to its actual worth, the football schools and the NCAA have somehow managed to DEVALUE basketball by taking a $240m chunk of the $1.1b in annual revenue and giving it to past athletes.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
As I said, the money will be coming out of the NCAA Men's & Women's Basketball Tournament. Instead of BBall being revalued to its actual worth, the football schools and the NCAA have somehow managed to DEVALUE basketball by taking a $240m chunk of the $1.1b in annual revenue and giving it to past athletes.

That's interesting. I can't recall article I read over weekend, but it stated that the NCAA made about $1.3 bn this year, with expenses of $1.17 bn, leaving $130 million for their coffers. Which obviously is less than $240 million, so let's see how this is structured.

Reaction Score
That's interesting. I can't recall article I read over weekend, but it stated that the NCAA made about $1.3 bn this year, with expenses of $1.17 bn, leaving $130 million for their coffers. Which obviously is less than $240 million, so let's see how this is structured.
Yes, but it does ding the hope that the NCAA tourney will be revalued once there is a split between the P4 and the others. I was hoping the tourney would be autonomous and thus fully valued for the actual money it produced, while the NCAA would wither away...

If the NCAA is responsible for everything, I'm not sure the big schools will ever leave it in the next 10 years, or else the NCAA would go bankrupt.

Reaction Score
I hope they made more than that because they may be on the hook for $2.7 billion to settle antitrust suits.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I hope they made more than that because they may be on the hook for $2.7 billion to settle antitrust suits.

That might just be the D1/2/3 mens & womens hoops tourneys, but that's the biggest piece of the pie.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The proposed settlement is disastrous.

NCAA will pay out its share from reduced distributions which make up a disproportionate amount of our revenue. Revenue sharing of up to $20,000,000 per year. We don’t have it. Expanded scholarships so instead of say, 11.5 scholarships for a baseball team now, schools can offer everyone a full ride. We can’t afford that.

We simply can’t afford to do what power conference schools will be able to do.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

It’s not rocket science. Most of their expenses involve distribution to D1 schools; those distributions will be reduced.

Reaction Score
It’s not rocket science. Most of their expenses involve distribution to D1 schools; those distributions will be reduced.
The only possible good thing to come out of this is that it binds the P4 to the NCAA for another 10 years. But other than that, it's a disaster.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately the NCAA is too stupid or corrupt to realize that they will never have more leverage over the top football schools than they do right now. Sb locking in every mutually beneficial item on the wishlist in exchange for this kind of liability protection instead of negotiating against the best interests of 95% of member institutions. Literally provide no cap and restructuring and let these mega schools and conferences directly participate in an uncapped liability scenario. The current proposal is bad and you'll end up with other schools and conferences suing the NCAA thereafter. NFPs negotiating with big businesses never fails to entertain.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
The proposed settlement is disastrous.

NCAA will pay out its share from reduced distributions which make up a disproportionate amount of our revenue. Revenue sharing of up to $20,000,000 per year. We don’t have it. Expanded scholarships so instead of say, 11.5 scholarships for a baseball team now, schools can offer everyone a full ride. We can’t afford that.

We simply can’t afford to do what power conference schools will be able to do.
We don't need to. The 30 million is a cap; not a floor. We just need to revenue share at the same level as the P4 for M/W basketball.

We won't be able to compete in baseball or soccer any more but those are the sacrifices that will need to be made.

I actually don't think a lot is going to change. Our budget deficit will probably get about 5 million per year worse but that is about it. We won't be funding more baseball or soccer scholarships. I expect the rest of the Big East to drop about 5 million between their sports (aka something painful but manageable).

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom