NCAA Puff Piece on UConn APR Turnaround | The Boneyard

NCAA Puff Piece on UConn APR Turnaround

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can someone please acknowledge the fact that the APR had nothing to do with how our guys performed as students, and had everything to do with the ungodly number of transfers and fringe NBA prospects trying to forge a professional basketball career?

Reaction Score
Can someone please acknowledge the fact that the APR had nothing to do with how our guys performed as students, and had everything to do with the ungodly number of transfers and fringe NBA prospects trying to forge a professional basketball career?

“The University of Connecticut is a top 20 research university, and academics are central to what we do. Original research is our mission from the state,” Herbst said. “We are a global university. We expect the highest academic standards here, from our faculty and our students. So we expect the same thing from our athletes. And I’m so proud to say that they’re stepping up beautifully.

The same message over and over...top 20 research....B1G message there!

rbny1

Gotham Husky Fanatic
Reaction Score
The article is total NCAA BS. The implied message is: UConn had awful academics, we the NCAA made them do better, aren't we wonderful? I feel like barfing.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Herbst is an awful President. I was a student there for her first few years and just seeing some of the stuff she does is puzzling.

Yes, we've suffered horribly under her tenure. Who the hell needs all that STEM cash?

The NCAA needs a rule stating that it is illegal to use light gray text on a white background.

Reaction Score
Herbst is an awful President. I was a student there for her first few years and just seeing some of the stuff she does is puzzling.
Try to get some photos of the UConn campus from 10 or 15 years ago and then offer an opinion.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I may be in the minority but I think Herbst & Manuel are doing a very good job. We are not as clueless as we were. And, of course, Kevin and Geno are the best

If Manuel had handled the Ollie/Calhoun transition by genuflecting to JC's will, he would probably be loved on here.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think he didn't automatically capitulate and he wasn't too stubborn to acknowledge JC was right.

Reaction Score
David 76 said:
I may be in the minority but I think Herbst & Manuel are doing a very good job. We are not as clueless as we were. And, of course, Kevin and Geno are the best

I'd be shocked of you were in the minority. They are doing a good job. Get us in a conference and literally no one would have one complaint.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I'd be shocked of you were in the minority. They are doing a good job. Get us in a conference and literally no one would have one complaint.

Seems I hear more complaints than compliments.

Reaction Score
David 76 said:
Seems I hear more complaints than compliments.
Sometimes, complainers are loud and make a lot more noise than those who see the positives and compliment. Other times, a few people search more for negatives than positives in life. Of course, never on the Boneyard, and generally that only applies to some people. ;)

What if they're actually doing a pretty good job? Or, even better than most of their predecessors?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
What if they're actually doing a pretty good job? Or, even better than most of their predecessors?

I'm not sure you'll find a poster with more than two brain cells who doesn't think Manuel is doing a better job than his esteemed predecessor.

Reaction Score
The students don't like her. There's an entire twitter page devoted to her with the hashtag #thankssusan . While it's mostly in jest, many of the complaints are real.
When you say "the students," you mean "some students," correct?

Because most of the people I know like her overall.

Reaction Score

B.Bazz: If you were at UCONN, as you wrote, for Susan Herbst's first few years then you were also there for at least a year of Philip Austin's disengaged caretaker year after Michael Hogan bailed on us unexpectedly, because Susan Herbst has only just now finished her third year. Austin had to be called out of retirement after Hogan, who had an imperial attitude in his position, abruptly left. Hogan couldn't wait to get out of Storrs after fewer than three years so he could go to what he seemed haughtily to feel was a more fitting position for him - a presidency in the B1G at Illinois. However, things didn't work out for him at Illinois and he is already gone from there, too.

Meanwhile we need to load Philip Austin with a large part of responsibility/blame for getting Jeff Hathaway to replace Lew Perkins. I don't think we did a proper search for a new AD when Big Lew left and ended up with the disaster of Hathaway.

Susan Herbst is managing a big upgrade of UCONN's STEM programs, an expansion of the Honors Program, a large expansion in numbers of students, upgrading the men's ice hockey program, expansion at the Med School, etc., etc. There is a lot of good stuff happening at UCONN and she is relentlessly promoting aspects of the university that will make us attractive to the ACC and/or B1G.

Reaction Score
BasedBazz,
My oldest son spent a large part of the summer of 1994 living in Hollister while attending a National Science Foundation program, my second oldest graduated from UCONN in 2002, my daughter has just started her senior year there and my youngest will be applying to start in Storrs or maybe Avery Point next year. That makes 20 years and counting of my close up observation of UCONN, so no one has to tell me about the increases in costs. However, huge forward strides have made and more are on the way. By the way, do you have any idea how much the numbers of dorm rooms and apartments have increased over the past 16 to 18 years? I've seen up to six guys crammed into a converted study lounge in Buckley and doubles turned into triples back around 1999-2000.

I am glad you feel that the value of your degrees "will only increase". That must mean that UCONN's relative position with other universities is improving.

Please provide more information about "multiple departments are on probation due to poor teaching". That is disappointing to hear and is an assertion I have not heard before. I wonder if it is due to the Herbst administration raising standards. Compared with the academic rigor of my own college days I am not always impressed with what my kids have had to deal with, but maybe that is just me being a grumpy old man.

I have to admit that I am not too unhappy that the spring weekend doesn't have UConn students trying to out-party the students at West Virginia and UCONN doesn't need to harken back to the "End of the World" riot of 1979. (Google it - I have source with first hand experience and he confirms how bad it got.)

I've heard the complaint from my daughter about the focus on beautification rather than more some more substantial academic and facility improvements. I sympathize with that argument, but you can get a lot of landscaping to gain a big improvement in appearance quickly and the amount of money spent on that is not what is holding up extremely expensive building renovations.

Anyway thanks for your passion for an even better UCONN.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
On probation with whom? Please provide links. I hate young people.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
With the University. Who else would they be on probation with? Just google "UConn chemistry department probation." Of course the school isn't going to advertise in the news that the department is on probation, it'd be bad for their reputation. What's your deal with the "young people" thing? Are you just an angry old man or something?

edit: class of '13? You're as young as I am...

Departments on probation with the university? Please post links. I am a grumpy old 46 year old.

Reaction Score
Herbst = milfy, loves JC/Ollie and pushing to get us in a better conference, what's not to like?

Warde - sorta indifferent, could see him as a short-timer here. Way better than Hathaway.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Herbst = milfy, loves JC/Ollie and pushing to get us in a better conference, what's not to like?

Warde - sorta indifferent, could see him as a short-timer here. Way better than Hathaway.

One thing about UCONN right now is it is on the cusp of the big time. There's so much happening at the university, both academically and athletically. With that kind of growth potential, it really makes sense to stick around as an AD. I can see Warde staying around until (when) at least UCONN gets into a power conference. That would be the ultimate coup d'etat on the resume.

Reaction Score
Sounds like a problem with TAs. Schools don't usually fire those people. They find something else for them to do.

Reaction Score
The "probation" is a myth. High failure rates in math and chemistry are nothing new, whether at UConn or anywhere else. Like just about everywhere else, UConn hires a lot of adjuncts to teach. If they don't perform, they aren't asked back.

His "complaints" are nothing than the same garden-variety student bitching that was going on when I was there. "The professors don't speak English", "They're too strict in limiting drinking/partying", "Science classes are too hard". I did it. It was dumb then. It is dumb now.

Oh, and GET OFF MY LAWN!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC