NCAA proposes changing season schedule/starting dates | The Boneyard

NCAA proposes changing season schedule/starting dates

Reaction Score
My worry with starting earlier is that it puts games in more competition with football( college and pro) for a limited number of tB broadcast slots.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My worry with starting earlier is that it puts games in more competition with football( college and pro) for a limited number of tB broadcast slots.
Football is on Saturdays, only one day in the extended period

Reaction Score
COLLEGE Football is on Saturdays, only one day in the extended period
Football is on Thursday evening Friday evening and all day Saturday. NFL is all day Sunday and also Monday night. and some other days. Men's AND women's basketball are forced in the early season to cram their games in around those football broadcasts. As the season progresses into bowls and playoffs in December, the schedule opens up.

Why compete for limited slots against football ? If you extend the season, do it on the back end - not the front.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Football is on Thursday evening Friday evening and all day Saturday. NFL is all day Sunday and also Monday night. and some other days. Men's AND women's basketball are forced in the early season to cram their games in around those football broadcasts. As the season progresses into bowls and playoffs in December, the schedule opens up.

Why compete for limited slots against football ? If you extend the season, do it on the back end - not the front.
But then we'd lose the catchy alliteration and historical weight of "March Madness." "April Madness" just wouldn't be the same. :D

But your point is taken.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

I imagine most networks how to schedule games so that the teams that are most watched aren't competing with one another. Put UConn vs Anyone on TV against Eastern Michigan-Marshall. I think UConn could hold its own.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
But then we'd lose the catchy alliteration and historical weight of "March Madness." "April Madness" just wouldn't be the same. :D

But your point is taken.
Especially since both March Madness tournaments do in fact culminate in April. But that is never mentioned in the advertising.

Reaction Score
I imagine most networks how to schedule games so that the teams that are most watched aren't competing with one another. Put UConn vs Anyone on TV against Eastern Michigan-Marshall. I think UConn could hold its own.
I’m not talking about the Top teams in basketball like UConn. I’m talking about tv slot availability for the rank and file. Sure SCar, LSU and Texas get broadcast time in November if only on the SECN. The BigN is gonna find time for their contenders. But what about the “ merely” solid teams like the Iowa States and Dukes in conferences with weaker ties?

Starting earlier just clashes too much with football.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom