NCAA looking to raise APR to 900 for post-season effective immediately | Page 6 | The Boneyard

NCAA looking to raise APR to 900 for post-season effective immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The point is, or at least should be, that neither one of those outcomes is acceptable. I agree with upstater that the APR is a flawed tool. If you wanted real reform, the answer would be that you would do 2 things. first you'd increase the accademic standards for incoming players. Of course when the NCAA did that, John Thompson accused them of racism so they have been ever more gunshy about doing that again. the second thing you'd do is work out a way of ending the one-and-done situation which is really doing awful things to college basketball. here again, there would be all kinds of outcries, but the bottom line is that right now, forf a whole bunch of kids, college basketball is little more than a placeholder until they become eligible for the NBA draft. I have two proposal, either of which would severely reduce this matter. First would be to make basketball scholarships 4 year commitments on both sides. If a player leaves, the coach doesn't get to use that scholarship again the next season, or the next or the next. I'd make exceptions for only 2 or 3 things. 1. the student graduates. In the case of Emeka, for example, that scholarship is available. 2. the player transfers and is accepted to another undergraduate institution. 3. the student leaves school to enter a branch of the United States military. I suggest that if a head coach had to decide on losing a scholarship for 3 years, he would be pretty careful about taking players who might be gone after one season. Would it keep some guys from playing college basketball? Probably. But there are other options today, so making a mockery of college basketball isn't the necessity it was 15 years ago.

The intent of the APR was to try and keep players focusing on the student side of student athletics even after their season's are over. And it was a compromise that came about after the basketball powers complained that the original version, which did give more weight for graduation, upstater, undully penalized those programs that sent lots of players to the pros.
I think there are two more things necessary. Raise the standards of what constitutes an acceptable curriculum. And send auditors to the schools to confirm compliance. Without monitoring the whole process is a sham.

Reaction Score
Of course it will
You see any big boys on that list other than Uconn? They would love to keep us out

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
I'm ready to quit now. F@ck all of them.

Reaction Score
How can you prove other programs, including Providence's programs, have not cheated on the reporting of the APR numbers? The NCAA does not check the university reported numbers for accuracy. They rely on the honor system.

It is conceivable that many institutions alter the numbers. They have an incentive to alter numbers. It ensures their ability to recruit players. They have no incentive to be honest because the NCAA does not enter institutions and verify if the numbers are accurate. This is human nature. People speed on the highway when they are not being watched. They cheat on the income tax forms if they believe they don't fit the audit profile.

Furthermore, it is known that JH had a contempt for JC. So it is conceivable he altered numbers for other athletic programs and reported accurate numbers on the men's program with the deliberate intent to embarrass JC. I'm not implying I have proof of this. I'm arguing it is plausible. People have done far more vindictive things in life for what most outside observers would consider petty reasons.

It's impossible to prove something's non-existence; as Bertrand Russell posited, to a different end, we can't disprove that a small teapot isn't orbiting somewhere between Earth and Mars. That doesn't mean it's there.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It's impossible to prove something's non-existence; as Bertrand Russell posited, to a different end, we can't disprove that a small teapot isn't orbiting somewhere between Earth and Mars. That doesn't mean it's there.

Who's looking for orbiting tea pots. The tea would be cold anyways. I would love to remove the APR, set up academic standards and do random audits of universities for compliance. Sure some teapots will be missed. But we will find the darn coffee pots.

Reaction Score
He doesn't? Can you share a link. I guess I buy the logic, but it seems that, for whatever reason, if a student starts classes (and I thought that he did), and doesn't finish in solid academic standing, that it is held against the institution.

Wasn't he kicked out before he finished a semester? I think that's reason enough to assume he doesn't count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom