NCAA Infractions? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

NCAA Infractions?

Reaction Score
At least the reporters, who are certainly sick of covering the story come to the settlement angle from the perspective that Ollie's side is the one that needs to initiate and make an offer. And that they need to GREATLY decrease the ask. Of course this weakens their leverage (but they have none besides more litigation), but it is their best chance at something. Likely increasingly harder, diminishing returns for Ollie b/c if the settlement is say $1M the lawyers probably get more than half in fees to date. If the former coach were to bring in a 2nd opinion, trying to settle for a nominal amount would almost certainly be the advice. But again, he's made nothing but poor choices for quite some time.

Reaction Score
Given Ollie's delusion and the lawyers' statement yesterday, I see them fighting to the bitter end, even if UConn were to throw them a bone.

Reaction Score
Given Ollie's delusion and the lawyers' statement yesterday, I see them fighting to the bitter end, even if UConn were to throw them a bone.
Agree, in expected value terms, 10% chance at 10M = 100% chance at 1M and like I said from Ollie's perspective the big payout is the only path to significant proceeds and thus far his only future career plan is this lawsuit which paradoxically & increasingly burns down any other options.

Reaction Score
Just stop.

We could shoot every miffed basketball alum into the sun and it would not cost us even a tiny fraction of $10,000,000.

First, I am not an Ollie supporter. Actually I was probably one of the first detractors. Second, I posted this before I actually read the report.

AFTER reading the report... ya. If any of Ollie's Alumni buddies are miffed we can just save the $millions and print out a PDF of that sucker and mail it to them for review. Even more damning that I thought.

Glad that page has turned.

Reaction Score
Agree, in expected value terms, 10% chance at 10M = 100% chance at 1M and like I said from Ollie's perspective the big payout is the only path to significant proceeds and thus far his only future career plan is this lawsuit which paradoxically & increasingly burns down any other options.
I would say 0% chance at 10M and 50% chance at a 6 figure to $1M settlement.
He lied to the NCAA. The credibility of the litigants is critical to deciding whether or not you’re willing to roll the dice on going to court.
I was involved in a personal injury lawsuit against a national retailer. They settled because I was too good of a plaintiff. I was honest, forthright, likable. It also didn’t hurt that it was filed in Philly which is the personal injury trial capital of the US (great for plaintiffs). The defendants’ lawyers (or the insurance company’s lawyers) flat out told me they appreciated my honesty when we were signing everything. Translation: had I been a little sketchy, they may have rolled the dice. They offered me a six figure settlement. I probably could have gotten more going to court but who knows? I wanted it to be done after two years of it.

My point is that he’s already proven in a formal investigation that he lied. Those violations were part of UConn’s cause and then he lied about it. He’s not a credible witness already and it’s on record. UConn’s lawyers will be more than willing to roll the dice and NOT settle. His honesty will be torn to shreds in court.

His biggest mistake wasn’t the violations, but the coverup. Isn’t it always?

Reaction Score
I would say 0% chance at 10M and 50% chance at a 6 figure to $1M settlement.
He lied to the NCAA. The credibility of the litigants is critical to deciding whether or not you’re willing to roll the dice on going to court.
I was involved in a personal injury lawsuit against a national retailer. They settled because I was too good of a plaintiff. I was honest, forthright, likable. It also didn’t hurt that it was filed in Philly which is the personal injury trial capital of the US (great for plaintiffs). The defendants’ lawyers (or the insurance company’s lawyers) flat out told me they appreciated my honesty when we were signing everything. Translation: had I been a little sketchy, they may have rolled the dice. They offered me a six figure settlement. I probably could have gotten more going to court but who knows? I wanted it to be done after two years of it.

My point is that he’s already proven in a formal investigation that he lied. Those violations were part of UConn’s cause and then he lied about it. He’s not a credible witness already and it’s on record. UConn’s lawyers will be more than willing to roll the dice and NOT settle. His honesty will be torn to shreds in court.

His biggest mistake wasn’t the violations, but the coverup. Isn’t it always?
Right, but if they offer 1 million he should take it. Would that settle his legal bills and get him even?

Reaction Score
I don't know if I agree about the case value before this, but I definitely agree that the settlement ship has sailed. From a political standpoint, how on earth could UConn settle now?

They could offer something very low and see if Ollie accepts. Obviously, a lot has changed since the initial termination and Ollie has much less leverage and probably less will to fight. I'm still in favor of a settlement. Every time I say that on here I get crushed so I'm not going to continue arguing but the point I see on here a lot is "Ollie was offered a settlement already, its too late now, he had his chance!" just seems too angry and emotional and that just isn't how the system generally works. This may be the time to settle at a really low number and not risk something crazy happening with Ollie's lawsuit.

Reaction Score
UConn shouldn't even put up the fee for the gaming license.
Right, UConn shouldn't offer and IF they do it just further enables the former coach's delusions and persecution complex.

That's what is exasperating about the articles in the Register and Courant, they both urge the former coach to cut his losses, but too many react or interpret it as a plea for UConn to settle.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Good article by Jacobs. I think he's got a decent sense of where this thing is at. Settle? Sure but the devil is the details. If KO and his legal team are looking for millions, this thing will continue until he's exhausted his appeals. They should take the undisclosed nominal settlement and let KO start to rebuild his reputation.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
First, I am not an Ollie supporter. Actually I was probably one of the first detractors. Second, I posted this before I actually read the report.

AFTER reading the report... ya. If any of Ollie's Alumni buddies are miffed we can just save the $millions and print out a PDF of that sucker and mail it to them for review. Even more damning that I thought.

Glad that page has turned.

I really think his circle of defenders is basically just Ray Allen.

You can see the comical effort at a defense by the 11th-hour submission of Allen's statement that the committee all but mocked.

Ollie knew he couldn't go back in front of the committee because his options were a) admit that he lied, or b) go lie some more, so he opted for c) obfuscate the issue and hope for the best.

He's like a middle-schooler trying desperately to sneak a term paper into the teacher's pile two days after the deadline.

Reaction Score
  • A vacation of records in which men’s basketball student-athletes competed while ineligible. The university must provide a written report containing the contests impacted to the NCAA media coordination and statistics staff within 45 days of the public decision release.
Is there even a slight chance the bolded part could include CV and if so, just curious, is there any chance at all that this could impact CV eligibility for this year?
I thought it had pretty much been established that it involved Adams and the guy who transferred from VCU

Reaction Score
They could offer something very low and see if Ollie accepts. Obviously, a lot has changed since the initial termination and Ollie has much less leverage and probably less will to fight. I'm still in favor of a settlement. Every time I say that on here I get crushed so I'm not going to continue arguing but the point I see on here a lot is "Ollie was offered a settlement already, its too late now, he had his chance!" just seems too angry and emotional and that just isn't how the system generally works. This may be the time to settle at a really low number and not risk something crazy happening with Ollie's lawsuit.
He was offered a settlement before it was publicly recorded in an investigation that he lied.
Most settlements have an expiration date.

Reaction Score
Right, but if they offer 1 million he should take it. Would that settle his legal bills and get him even?
This has been going on for awhile - legal fees cost a lot. I guarantee it will barely cover them.
And why should we care about his legal fees? Why should we pay them? He got 2 years of our games vacated. And lied about it.

Reaction Score
Regardless of the pitchforks and torches crowd, you find a way, you make a way...but get it settled. It’s best for all sides. Just my opinion.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
"The argument for paying Ollie his money, btw, is that Ollie is very well regarded by our incredibly important basketball alums, and not coming to a reasonable agreement with Ollie will poison that relationship and cost us much more than some $$ in the long term." Source?

Reaction Score
Rhetoric and gaslighting from the settle crowd, it is on your guy to settle - make a reasonable offer (hint 1M, 2 tops) otherwise stop. If UConn rejects that go public and see if there is this alleged support. Prove it. It is ALL on Ollie.

Reaction Score
Meanwhile in Chapel Hill, players don't have to take their own tests.

Meanwhile in Tuscon, coaches pay players six figures to come play for the Wildcats, yet the head coach remains gainfully employed.

"The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky they're going to give Cleveland State another year of probation", Jerry Tarkanian.

Reaction Score
Meanwhile in Chapel Hill, players don't have to take their own tests.

Meanwhile in Tuscon, coaches pay players six figures to come play for the Wildcats, yet the head coach remains gainfully employed.

"The NCAA is so mad at Kentucky they're going to give Cleveland State another year of probation", Jerry Tarkanian.
UCONN broke minor rules, but compare that to Carolina players staying team eligible and in school with complete sham courses. How did they escape punishment in that? Because other non athlete students were also in those courses? This drives me nuts.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Finally, you might want review your understanding of falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus. It isn't a governing principal under these circumstances and in any event really isn't considered a doctrine in most jurisdiction...

People and organizations are complicated. No one is wrong 100% of the time. Even in the boneyard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom