NCAA Infractions? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

NCAA Infractions?

Reaction Score
Uh is this the argument you really want to be making since the NCAA has issued a finding that Kevin is both unethical and dishonest?

I have been making this same argument consistently for months. UConn does not care about the ethical violations. My opponents on this thread do not care about the ethical violations. UConn cares about $10 million. My opponents on this thread care about winning. The ethics charge against KO is expediency and nothing more. What do we call it when an organization behaves with expediency in the enforcement of ethical violations?

The NCAA issued a finding about UNC and this board went crazy with accusations. Now the NCAA issues a finding about KO and suddenly the NCAA is an authoritative credible source. What changed?

Reaction Score
Your reasoning is faulty & forced (ie lengthy and drawn out mean the same thing), Ollie is at best top-30 on greatest UConn players, maybe 15-ish on best NBA careers. Regardless, Tate George had a great UConn/NBA career but people eventually stopped giving him money to embezzle.

Paying the former coach at this point does nothing, the stain, PR, stigma whatever exists - paying him won't make it vanish. Part of being prudent, as you say is also to NOT pay frivolous lawsuits that invite more lawsuits. Hopefully there are never again MBB coaches to which this applies, but UConn has plenty of employees and doesn't need to settle every time one of them keeps suing without merit and losing (especially the discrimination suit makes this argument).
Let’s declare victory and go home. This continues to stain our name, not to the diehards and “Never Ollie’s” on this forum but, as long as it keeps dragging, to the general public. Our image doesn’t need a long, drawn out public case with words like bias, discrimination, etc. being tossed around. And Ollie will play up the race card, we know this.
It’s not extortion if the case has merit in a court of law. And as much as the amateur Perry Masons on this forum have it as a UConn slam dunk, we don’t know what can happen when presented before a jury.
It’s Hurley’s era now. Let’s put Ollie and the last 5 years in the rear view mirror and move on already. It’s just not worth it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I have been making this same argument consistently for months. UConn does not care about the ethical violations. My opponents on this thread do not care about the ethical violations. UConn cares about $10 million. My opponents on this thread care about winning. The ethics charge against KO is expediency and nothing more. What do we call it when an organization behaves with expediency in the enforcement of ethical violations?

The NCAA issued a finding about UNC and this board went crazy with accusations. Now the NCAA issues a finding about KO and suddenly the NCAA is an authoritative credible source. What changed?
Mmm disagree. The NCAA has found Kevin violated its rules and then lied to cover up his misdeeds. That by any reasonable standard is ethically bankrupt. You agree with that right? Every single time you post and try to obfuscate we all are reminded that Kevin has been found to be both a cheater and liar. Maybe it is for the best if you just let things die down. Hopefully Kevin will do the same. In time he'll be forgiven and welcomed back. But every day of denial and smear just makes that harder.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can someone explain to me why North Carolina and Arizona have still received absolutely no punishment from the NCAA for their infractions? I mean Sean Miller was allegedly paying a recruit 10k a month and is still getting 5 star recruits as we speak. What gives?

Reaction Score

The NCAA sucks and Kevin Ollie sucks. He signed a contract that said don't break rules, he broke rules and then lied to his employer about it and lied to the NCAA about it.

It's really simple, don't suck at doing your job and don't violate your contract. When caught, don't lie to all the people who control your future.

Reaction Score

By many accounts, after signing the large, shiny new contract, Ollie stopped doing his job, full stop. If we want to take contracts and legalities out of the argument, it seems he didn’t ethically deserve to continue to have a job and get paid. He didn’t seem to have any ethical or moral quandary in continuing to cash massive checks of which he was no longer deserving. He loses the argument on any basis, legal or ethical, which you choose to make it as I see it.

I also don’t think it is doing any particular further PR harm to the school. Talk to someone that is not a UConn fan and they won’t even know there is still anything going on. Yesterday’s news.

If he’s paying lawyers at this point he should stop. It’s throwing good money after bad. If the lawyers aren’t getting paid unless they win some money, they should throw in the towel. Their time spent is a sunk cost and future time is likely to be more profitable spent elsewhere.

C

Chief00

Not trying to defend what Ollie did, but reading the list of infractions they really do seem to be pretty minor compared to all the paying players stuff that we've been reading about for over a year. If those schools don't get hammered it will be a complete joke.
I agree and most likely they won’t get hammered.

C

Chief00

Mmm have to disagree. While dragging this on has been an annoyance, it is Kevin's reputation that has really taken a hit. Now that independent third party has found Kevin to be both a cheater and liar, every time he tries to launch a new accusation we all will be reminded of that. I'm sure his attorneys are discussing this with him as any competent counsel would.

As to your view as to what constitutes extortion, you really are Avanetti, aren't you?
I haven’t seen any sign his attorney’s are competent in this case unless they give him advice and he directs them to do otherwise. If so, if it’s a pay by the hour case - at some point you say ethically I can’t do this anymore.
Early on he could have gotten $2.5 million, so ultimately it’s about greed too.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I'm not a lawyer, an accountant or a comical message board prophet.

Bottom line is it's time to move on but it's sad that KO goes out like this in the end.

Reaction Score
I'm fully in favor of reconciling with Kevin. He needs to drop the lawsuit for that to happen.

I find it comical that you toss out casual insults almost like this outcome affects you personally. Zealot, petty, vindictive, toddler. That hardly seems like the kind of dialog that promotes reconciliation.
It’s called “tongue-in-cheek” which is why i used the wink emoji.
Relax Bro, it’s not that serious. :cool:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It’s called “tongue-in-cheek” which is why i used the wink emoji.
Relax Bro, it’s not that serious. :cool:
Lol I just quoted your text back to you. Did you miss that?

Reaction Score
Lol I just quoted your text back to you. Did you miss that?
Ok, bro....peace out. (sigh)

Reaction Score
I think all 3 of these things can be true at once:

1) the NCAA is an awful, terrible, no good organization.

2) UConn has generally handled this terribly and has treated Ollie horribly

3) Ollie broke the contract that he signed. Was the language of the contract vague? Yes. However, no one forced Ollie to agree to that language in that contract. That is on Ollie and his representation.
Sadly, you’re right. Working in a highly regulated industry myself, sadly if you work for a group
i think the difference here is we knew about the investigation...

Reaction Score
Emmert can't just take the "silly rules" out (and there are quite a few) - it's on the member schools to eliminate/pass/change the rules through their legislative package process.

Yes, particularly since every NCAA rule was voted in by the schools in the first place. The NCAA doesn't randomly make up rules without the schools' approval.

Reaction Score
People and organizations settle lawsuits all the time to avoid a lengthy, drawn out, and embarrassing process. It doesn't mean they're right or wrong, it just means they're being prudent.
This case IS an embarrassment for UConn. One of our greatest player/alums, who represented the school for well for years & is still highly regarded by many, is now involved in this messy issue with his alma mater. Yeah, it sucks to admit, but there are many like Ray Allen who still feel that regardless of the sordid details, Ollie was not treated fairly & was shafted on his compensation.
As BY members we know the dirty details and we can respectfully disagree. But rightly or wrongly that perception will be there for as long as this thing keeps going on. It's not always about being right, sometimes its just about being practical. Find a settlement, get it done, and let's REALLY put this behind us.
You’re kidding me. His case value was close to nuisance level before the NCAA determination. Now it’s literally zero. People settle cases early, and before significant costs are incurred, any before legal or administrative determination’s have been made. The settlement ship has sailed.

Reaction Score
You’re kidding me. His case value was close to nuisance level before the NCAA determination. Now it’s literally zero. People settle cases early, and before significant costs are incurred, any before legal or administrative determination’s have been made. The settlement ship has sailed.

I don't know if I agree about the case value before this, but I definitely agree that the settlement ship has sailed. From a political standpoint, how on earth could UConn settle now?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Not trying to defend what Ollie did, but reading the list of infractions they really do seem to be pretty minor compared to all the paying players stuff that we've been reading about for over a year. If those schools don't get hammered it will be a complete joke.

The violations were level II and III stuff - nonsensical, lazy crap, but the nonsensical, lazy crap was piling up and that's what the NCAA responded to...but the penalties reflected that this was not really a major deal.

Kevin Ollie murdered himself by trying to mislead the COI and then refusing to meet with them a second time.

He turned two parking tickets into civil forfeiture and lost his car.

I was impressed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom