NCAA exploring Big 5 conference autonomy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA exploring Big 5 conference autonomy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"And Connecticut AD Warde Manuel cynically suggested the word "revenue" should probably be included among those core values. So at least some people that work in college athletics are just as jaded about the state of college athletics as you are."

Nice job by Warde! He spoke the truth. In practice revenue is the #1 core value for these money hoarding bastards.

A round of applause for Warde.

Collusion should be another core value.

Reaction Score
"However, this was no more than a typical corporate retreat. As several industry officials told SI.com in some form, "This is all for show."

This is what I believe.

Reaction Score
I don't get it. How is it that if you are in a given conference you get granted autonomy? What's to stop the AAC or MWC from getting the same privilege?

Reaction Score
I don't get it. How is it that if you are in a given conference you get granted autonomy? What's to stop the AAC or MWC from getting the same privilege?

I'm sure the MW and AAC are ready to point this out. They can't be frozen out if the Big5 want to remain in the NCAA.

Reaction Score

I really hope the AAC and the MWC are having conversations about somehow joining their leagues together. If they are not they are fools. As a united entity they could make a strong case for P6.

Reaction Score
"And Connecticut AD Warde Manuel cynically suggested the word "revenue" should probably be included among those core values. So at least some people that work in college athletics are just as jaded about the state of college athletics as you are."

Nice job by Warde! He spoke the truth. In practice revenue is the #1 core value for these money hoarding bastards.

A round of applause for Warde.

Collusion should be another core value.

Here is the referenced presentation - core values is last slide. http://content.ncaa.org/ncaa-member...raft_System_Design_1.9.14_CONVENTION_v_5C.pdf

Reaction Score
I really hope the AAC and the MWC are having conversations about somehow joining their leagues together. If they are not they are fools. As a united entity they could make a strong case for P6.

It's too late for that, with the additions to 12. They should have kept things at 10, and not invited Tulsa and Tulane. That way, you take the regular season champ of the AAC and play the regular season champ of the MWC. It would have kept a home and home schedule for bball as well.

Cincy, UConn, UCF, USF, Temple, SMU, Houston, Memphis, ECU, Navy.

That would have been the football side. Instead, they added Tulsa and Tulane. Bad.

Reaction Score

Dennis Dodd ‏@dennisdoddcbs 17h
Key question in governance dialogue: Do 65 BCS schools get 51 percent of the vote in legislative issues.

Reaction Score
I think exit 4, kind of nails it. The p5, doesn't like gnats like Boise showing up in big bowl games and upsetting the likes of Oklahoma. So to deal with that, create a system where over time it becomes an impossibility for it to happen. Step one, anoint yourself as something better than all the rest. Lets call ourselves the POWER 5. Lets draw a clear line of demarcation between ourselves and everybody else in the eyes of the media and recruits.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think exit 4, kind of nails it. The p5, doesn't like gnats like Boise showing up in big bowl games and upsetting the likes of Oklahoma. So to deal with that, create a system where over time it becomes an impossibility for it to happen. Step one, anoint yourself as something better than all the rest. Lets call ourselves the POWER 5. Lets draw a clear line of demarcation between ourselves and everybody else in the eyes of the media and recruits.

Thanks. Its a dotted line of demarcation that they are aiming to make a thick solid line in the years ahead....slowly - brick by brick. Telling the world you are sick of spoilers wont sit well with many, so its best to make it about any other 'issue' you can conjure up.

I like the idea Metsfan has about the AAC and MWC linking up to be the 6th Conf. Maybe we don't merge, but we unite on NCAA issues and work together on scheduling.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I like your thinking but it doesn't stop the power 5 from just up and leaving the NCAA alltogether.

It kinda does. What gives these schools to ability to get out from under the NCAA umbrella for football and then be able to reconcile for a 21 day stretch each March and be included in the NCAA Tournament. It should be all or nothing fellas....

Oh and if these schools do any sort of pay for play, their institution's tax exempt charity status should be stripped. If they are increasing the scholastic benefit for athletes and not for a chemistry student for example, then they are in effect funding a semi-pro organization.

Reaction Score
Slide 12. Those f'ers are sneaky.

Yeah... slide it in towards the end when everyone is yawning and blurry eyed.

Still think it'll be tough to c*ckblock the AAC or MWC from saying we want the same autonomy to reform regulatory structure for football (other than revenue to fund - but that's another hurdle).

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
It kinda does. What gives these schools to ability to get out from under the NCAA umbrella for football and then be able to reconcile for a 21 day stretch each March and be included in the NCAA Tournament. It should be all or nothing fellas....

Oh and if these schools do any sort of pay for play, their institution's tax exempt charity status should be stripped. If they are increasing the scholastic benefit for athletes and not for a chemistry student for example, then they are in effect funding a semi-pro organization.
The NCAA does not administer FBS bowls and championships. They are completely cut out of the revenue pie, yet they are the enforcement. If schools from the "Power 5" want to pull out of the NCAA for football, I'm sure they could a fine way to do while maintaining all other sports under the NCAA tournament umbrella -- there's no loss to the NCAA. You could argue that it would actually be a gain for the NCAA since they wouldn't have to spend so much time and money with football player eligibility and compliance.

Reaction Score

Great idea if the NCAA had revenue sharing. If you pulled the top 11 teams from those two leagues, and added BYU (with special considerations), you would have a league that would compete today with the P5 on the field. I think we all agree that the seperation on the field is very little. But off the field, this new conference would lack the revenue and exposure that the P5 have access to. This new league would lack the really big, power house type schools that carry the weight of the league. As individual schools, many of the teams in this league would be equals to 2/3 of the P5 schools and would thrive just as well if given the opportunity. But without having a TX/OK, USC/UCLA/Stanford, OSU/PSU/Mich, UNC/FSU, or AL/FL/GA/LSU, it would be difficult for a new league to secure a contract that is near that of the P5. I really like the idea of a 6th league to grab the remaining big time programs, but some form of revenue sharing may be required to keep the 6th league from falling behind the other 5.

Reaction Score
The most important thing that can come of this, and will come of it, is that the power to control NCAA athletics will be shifted away from the presidents and back to the athletic directors. If mark emmert were an effective leader, that's what would happen. The effects of the Knight Commission, have been incredibly damaging to the NCAA.

It's no mistake that the BCS era coincides exactly with the time frame that university presidents have been in control of the NCAA (1998-2013).

It's 2014 now, though, and the BCS is gone.

GIVE IT BACK TO THE AD's!!!

Reaction Score
Slide 12. Those f'ers are sneaky.
Well the NCAA tournament is the leverage of the smaller schools. The p5 clearly don't want to break off and worry about organizing they own tournaments in other sports so why not create a true fbs playoff they can fully regulate?

Reaction Score
The most important thing that can come of this, and will come of it, is that the power to control NCAA athletics will be shifted away from the presidents and back to the athletic directors. If mark emmert were an effective leader, that's what would happen. The effects of the Knight Commission, have been incredibly damaging to the NCAA.

It's no mistake that the BCS era coincides exactly with the time frame that university presidents have been in control of the NCAA (1998-2013).

It's 2014 now, though, and the BCS is gone.

GIVE IT BACK TO THE AD's!!!

You mean the guys who went to work right away for people like the Pump Brothers? How is that an improvement?

Reaction Score
Yeah... slide it in towards the end when everyone is yawning and blurry eyed.

Still think it'll be tough to c*ckblock the AAC or MWC from saying we want the same autonomy to reform regulatory structure for football (other than revenue to fund - but that's another hurdle).

I think the autonomy is really about the Power 5 wanting to remove roadblocks so that they can do what they want to do as opposed to preventing other conferences from taking the same measures. If the AAC or MWC actually wanted to adopt the same exact measures as the Power 5, then I believe that you're right that the Power 5 can't stop them from doing it. However, the point is that the AAC and MWC will not have any voice in *blocking* the Power 5 on those issues as they do now. In an extreme example, if the Power 5 want to start paying players six-figure salaries and call it "cost of attendance", they don't want the AAC or MWC to have any say in preventing them from doing so. However, if the AAC and MWC decide on their own that they want to start paying the same salaries, they can go ahead and do it.

Reaction Score
I'm not gonna spend much time thinking about it but I kind of wonder if the best of the MWC and AAC will still consolidate into one East/West conference. There seems to be just enough decent schools left to make a 6th "powerish" conference and create better revenue.

UCONN
USF
UCF
Temple
Cincy
Navy

Boise
SDSU
Fresno
UNLV
Memphis
Houston

Ten schools. Much better than what we have now, two clear east/west divisions. Very good basketball, good recruiting territory, no small schools. There wouldn't be one game in basketball or football that I would dread attending in that conference. The worst of it, like Memphis football, will be pretty good soon. They are committed to athletics, they just need a decent coach.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The NCAA does not administer FBS bowls and championships. They are completely cut out of the revenue pie, yet they are the enforcement. If schools from the "Power 5" want to pull out of the NCAA for football, I'm sure they could a fine way to do while maintaining all other sports under the NCAA tournament umbrella -- there's no loss to the NCAA. You could argue that it would actually be a gain for the NCAA since they wouldn't have to spend so much time and money with football player eligibility and compliance.
The BCS is out from under the control of the NCAA, but that is it. All of the games played in order to get to the first week of January are still NCAA sanctioned events. The NCAA would lose their cut of revenue associated with at least 390 (65 teams x 6 home games plus license and affiliation fees) regular season games. Amplified a bit more, let's assume actual average attendance across the P5 board is 50,000 per game (FYI: Attendance across the 120 FBS Schools was about 45K. So it stands to reason that the schools that seat more than 50,000 are offset by the BCs, Wakes, and NWU, and Vandys of the p5) at an average of $25/seat.

50k x $25 x 65 programs x 6 home games = $487,500,000. So the NCAA is going to willingly give up their portion of at least a $ $ $half billion? I tend to think not.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
The BCS is out of control of the NCAA, but that is it. All of the games played in order to get to the first week of January are still NCAA sanctioned events. The NCAA would lose their cut of revenue associated with at least 390 (65 teams x 6 home games plus license and affiliation fees) regular season games. Amplified a bit more, let's assume actual average attendance across the P5 board is 50,000 per game (FYI: Attendance across the 120 FBS Schools was about 45K. So it stands to reason that the schools that seat more than 50,000 are offset by the BCs, Wakes, and NWU, and Vandys of the p5) at an average of $25/seat.

50k x $25 x 65 programs x 6 home games = $487,500,000. So the NCAA is going to willingly give up their portion of at least a $ $ $half billion? I tend to think not.
Show me net numbers that the NCAA makes on football.

Reaction Score
I'm not gonna spend much time thinking about it but I kind of wonder if the best of the MWC and AAC will still consolidate into one East/West conference. There seems to be just enough decent schools left to make a 6th "powerish" conference and create better revenue.

UCONN
USF
UCF
Temple
Cincy
Navy

Boise
SDSU
Fresno
UNLV
Memphis
Houston

Ten schools. Much better than what we have now, two clear east/west divisions. Very good basketball, good recruiting territory, no small schools. There wouldn't be one game in basketball of football that I would dread attending in that conference. The worst of it, like Memphis football, will be pretty good soon. They are committed to athletics, they just need a decent coach.

Something like this should have taken from last season when everything was a mess.

Reaction Score
The BCS is out from under the control of the NCAA, but that is it. All of the games played in order to get to the first week of January are still NCAA sanctioned events. The NCAA would lose their cut of revenue associated with at least 390 (65 teams x 6 home games plus license and affiliation fees) regular season games. Amplified a bit more, let's assume actual average attendance across the P5 board is 50,000 per game (FYI: Attendance across the 120 FBS Schools was about 45K. So it stands to reason that the schools that seat more than 50,000 are offset by the BCs, Wakes, and NWU, and Vandys of the p5) at an average of $25/seat.

Plus hypothetically, if the P5 decided to have their own hoops tournament the NCAA would no longer be getting a billion dollars from CBS, TNT et al. The majority of TV dollars would go to whatever tournament the P5 stage and the remaining NCAA conferences would essentially be participating in the NIT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom