NCAA’s Emmert: It is time to decentralize college sports | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NCAA’s Emmert: It is time to decentralize college sports

Reaction Score
I could forsee the Portal becoming an auction block where athletes test their "worth".....Have a great season, check out the bids.

Reaction Score
Coaches wanting a "head hunting budget" to go after the portal to fill important spots with proven talent.

"I really need a big like Koki Cockburn or Moussa Cisse. Might take some big bucks".

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Money shot:

“We’re tired of being told by some small school up in the northeast that we can’t do something,” says one SEC school administrator. “Why is Alabama and Binghamton in the same division? We continue to put those two on equal footing and it’s about time that all of us admitted that.”

...at least they named Binghamton.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

The P5 will fare worse in court than the NCAA if it tries to be exclusionary. 9-0 is definitely not a Supreme Court decision that I would want to test if I was the SEC.

Reaction Score
The Pivot started with the designation of Autonomous Conferences (P5)...and will go further.

Bowlsby expects the Power 5 to abdicate this coming year for more autonomy. But he wonders if some legislative powers shouldn’t remain restrictive to preserve equity in the game.

“We could all solve our gender equity issues, the A5 {Autonomous 5), by adding four women’s basketball scholarships and six more volleyball and five more softball,” he says. “All we would do is take players off other peoples’ fields and put them on our bench. It’s a great way to do it for us, but a terrible way to do it for others.”

Reaction Score
John Infante didn't do his homework citing Mississippi State as an example of a small school preventing "big schools" from doing something..

Mississippi State's athletic budget is top 30 and more than programs like Purdue, UCLA, Rutgers, etc.....and is four times the budget of La Tech...Maybe the guy is confusing Southern Miss with Mississippi State...

Reaction Score
John Infante didn't do his homework citing Mississippi State as an example of a small school preventing "big schools" from doing something..

Mississippi State's athletic budget is top 30 and more than programs like Purdue, UCLA, Rutgers, etc.....and is four times the budget of La Tech...Maybe the guy is confusing Southern Miss with Mississippi State...
He’s not confused @ all… read his timeline. He’s not referencing size of the AD but stature compared to the “flagship” in the State (Ole Miss/UT).

Reaction Score
He’s not confused @ all… read his timeline. He’s not referencing size of the AD but stature compared to the “flagship” in the State (Ole Miss/UT).

If he is not confused, he is mistaken....the Mississippi State's, Texas A&M's, Oklahoma State's, Michigan State's, Auburn's, Clemson's, and FSU's ( as non Flagships) have no interest in preventing "big schools" from doing something.

Disclaimer....I did spend some time at Mississippi State in a three week seminar paid for by my employer....lovely folks there in the way, way back. Men wore coats and ties to the stadium and the women wore dresses...it was strange for the late 70's where I often wore my old utility field jacket and jeans to games.

Reaction Score
Vandy has made their bed...and hasn't been compatible in football for years with the SEC. Much like Indiana in the B1G.

Mississippi State did win the CWS this year and Vandy puts up good baseball teams....but the truth is, amongst the football machines of Bama, LSU, Georgia, Auburn, Texas A&M, Florida....the Mississippi's, South Carolina's, Tennessee's, Kentucky's also have little chance of an SEC Champiionship.

Reaction Score
The P5 will fare worse in court than the NCAA if it tries to be exclusionary. 9-0 is definitely not a Supreme Court decision that I would want to test if I was the SEC.
Yup… they will just try to make it untenable for all the “have-nots”:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

they would be happy with enough power to not break away.

But it’s a nice button to have a threat…

Reaction Score
Sometimes when people talk the talk they end up creating a situation where they have to walk because everyone buys their rhetoric. Even if it is ultimately dumb, if you are the SEC and make some demand that isn’t met, you might create a situation where you have to break away. I actually could see something foolish happen that ends up hurting both college sports generally and the SEC at the same time for foolish reasons.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

If everyone in the negotiation knows the P5 can't walk away without triggering a massive anti-trust lawsuit that the P5 will lose, then the P5 has less leverage to force changes. The P5 needs to figure out a way to push through changes that do not specifically advantage the P5 because of its cartel power.

Reaction Score
The P5 will fare worse in court than the NCAA if it tries to be exclusionary. 9-0 is definitely not a Supreme Court decision that I would want to test if I was the
Why? . The precedent is already set of multiple rules for classes within the Organization. D1 , D2, D3 all play by different rules now.
The additional class say D1 + for football is no big precedent.
The real argument has little to do with rules and a lot to do with money.
The football playoffs have the potential to be as big a source of revenue for the body as the basketball playoffs.
I suspect distribution of monies from both events is an issue .
The P5 who honestly creates that revenue don’t won’t to share
Even Indies like UConn get $800,000 a year from those playoffs.
The top G5 conference could earn $20,000,000 a year. Pretty good gig for non participation.
Expansion is a huge moneymaker for the NCAA but face it could impact
P5 revenue negatively.
Vandy has made their bed...and hasn't been compatible in football for years with the SEC. Much like Indiana in the B1G.

Mississippi State did win the CWS this year and Vandy puts up good baseball teams....but the truth is, amongst the football machines of Bama, LSU, Georgia, Auburn, Texas A&M, Florida....the Mississippi's, South Carolina's, Tennessee's, Kentucky's also have little chance of an SEC Champiionship.
Vanderbilt would be more similar to Northwestern as they’re both pretty prestigious private research schools.
IU is the Flagship University of a large state. Kentucky would be a closer match to IU .also roughly simalar to UConn where the BB teams are traditionally more successful than football. They’re also pretty close geographically.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

So It Begins Helms Deep GIF by Giphy QA

Reaction Score

Vandy has the best baseball program in the country.

Reaction Score
Vandy has the best baseball program in the country.

Vandy has great baseball...Mississippi State just won the CWS...7 of the last 12 CWS winners were SEC teams...including Vandy, Mississippi State, LSU, South Carolina, and Florida....the SEC is a great baseball conference.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Why? . The precedent is already set of multiple rules for classes within the Organization. D1 , D2, D3 all play by different rules now.
The additional class say D1 + for football is no big precedent.
The real argument has little to do with rules and a lot to do with money.
The football playoffs have the potential to be as big a source of revenue for the body as the basketball playoffs.
I suspect distribution of monies from both events is an issue .
The P5 who honestly creates that revenue don’t won’t to share
Even Indies like UConn get $800,000 a year from those playoffs.
The top G5 conference could earn $20,000,000 a year. Pretty good gig for non participation.
Expansion is a huge moneymaker for the NCAA but face it could impact
P5 revenue negatively.

Vanderbilt would be more similar to Northwestern as they’re both pretty prestigious private research schools.
IU is the Flagship University of a large state. Kentucky would be a closer match to IU .also roughly simalar to UConn where the BB teams are traditionally more successful than football. They’re also pretty close geographically.

The NCAA just got throttled in an anti-trust case. The justices just spoke pretty clearly about how they feel about the structure of college sports, and the NCAA was not being that punitive to the athletes. Do you think a P5 that is exploiting athletes for tens of millions of dollars of revenue PER SCHOOL and squeezing out smaller schools solely because they are not part of the cartel will do better?

Reaction Score
The NCAA just got throttled in an anti-trust case. The justices just spoke pretty clearly about how they feel about the structure of college sports, and the NCAA was not being that punitive to the athletes. Do you think a P5 that is exploiting athletes for tens of millions of dollars of revenue PER SCHOOL and squeezing out smaller schools solely because they are not part of the cartel will do better?
I think the P5 squeeze can be very different than the NCAA beating. The NCAA got crushed because they created blanket rules that allowed the NCAA and it's institutions to profit off of the athletes and not let the athletes profit in any way. That's not what the P5 would be doing. The P5 can set "objective" criteria. The objective criteria would be hard/impossible for others to meet, but it's open. The P5 would actually claim that this allows them to compensate the athletes at a higher (more fair) level.

The Justice Department has saber-rattled over the years, but they haven't done much to break up or stop monopolies that are much worse than the P5 would be. There are 130 FBS schools. 50% are P5 (plus they'll find a way to include ND and BYU). Maybe 20 schools have an argument that they can be included with the P5?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I think the P5 squeeze can be very different than the NCAA beating. The NCAA got crushed because they created blanket rules that allowed the NCAA and it's institutions to profit off of the athletes and not let the athletes profit in any way. That's not what the P5 would be doing. The P5 can set "objective" criteria. The objective criteria would be hard/impossible for others to meet, but it's open. The P5 would actually claim that this allows them to compensate the athletes at a higher (more fair) level.

The Justice Department has saber-rattled over the years, but they haven't done much to break up or stop monopolies that are much worse than the P5 would be. There are 130 FBS schools. 50% are P5 (plus they'll find a way to include ND and BYU). Maybe 20 schools have an argument that they can be included with the P5?

and schools like gonzaga would have to be willing to add football…

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom