NCAA’s Emmert: It is time to decentralize college sports | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NCAA’s Emmert: It is time to decentralize college sports

Reaction Score
Operative wording....

Emmert said the NCAA's more than 1,100 member schools should consider a less homogenous approach to the way sports are governed and re-examine the current three division structure, which includes 355 Division I colleges.
Wait! Treat Football players differently than the Boce team? What is this sorcery?

Reaction Score
This press conference and his "new narrative" just proves that Emmert is nothing more than the P5 conference commissioners and presidents talking, walking beotch.

This bureaucrat piece of whale dung has had years... YEARS... going back to the the original decision in the Charles O'Bannon antitrust lawsuit in 2014. The writing was on the wall. He and the NCAA could have been proactive and tried to formulate a new direction for collegiate sports then.

But nope... as your typical bureaucrat who is desperate to hold onto his and his cronies' power as long as he can (to profit as much as he can until the bitter end) all we heard out of Emmert was backward thinking, overload mentality BS. Just go back and look at his testimony during that trial and commentary afterward, and for most of the time since.

I truly dislike few people, as I tend to try and find the good in most everyone. But Mark Emmert is very easy to dislike. A lot. He has proven time and time again to be a smug, disingenuous bureaucrat since well before he was made NCAA President, including during his time here at UConn. He and most of the commissioners and presidents who pull his strings have no one to blame but themselves for where this is at right now, and going forward.

Of course, they are all getting rich off of their prolonged, ongoing, blatant mismanagement. It is all so pathetic to watch.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This press conference and his "new narrative" just proves that Emmert is nothing more than the P5 conference commissioners and presidents talking, walking beotch.

This bureaucrat piece of whale dung has had years... YEARS... going back to the the original decision in the Charles O'Bannon antitrust lawsuit in 2014. The writing was on the wall. He and the NCAA could have been proactive and tried to formulate a new direction for collegiate sports then.

But nope... as your typical bureaucrat who is desperate to hold onto his and his cronies' power as long as he can (to profit as much as he can until the bitter end) all we heard out of Emmert was backward thinking, overload mentality BS. Just go back and look at his testimony during that trial and commentary afterward, and for most of the time since.

I truly dislike few people, as I tend to try and find the good in most everyone. But Mark Emmert is very easy to dislike. A lot. He has proven time and time again to be a smug, disingenuous bureaucrat since well before he was made NCAA President, including during his time here at UConn. He and most of the commissioners and presidents who pull his strings have no one to blame but themselves for where this is at right now, and going forward.

Of course, they are all getting rich off of their prolonged, ongoing, blatant mismanagement. It is all so pathetic to watch.
star wars hate GIF

Reaction Score
I did not realize that Emmert was formerly at UConn....$100 million lost due to mismanagement! But not pinned to his watch.

Emmert oversaw the first two years of a ten-year-long, $1 billion construction project, UConn 2000, that added many new academic buildings, residence halls and landscape projects to the Storrs campus, and new buildings and facilities to the regional campuses. UConn 2000 is widely credited with transforming the university. Some of the projects became controversial because of charges of mismanagement in the facilities and contracting services. These issues, which included more than $100 million lost due to mismanagement and more than a hundred fire and safety code violations, did not come to light during Emmert's tenure. The vast majority of the projects were begun after Emmert's tenure. Something handwritten on Emmert's stationery in 1998 suggested he was aware of construction management challenges. Some of the construction projects later became the focus of a state investigation in 2005. Governor Rell called it "astonishing failure of oversight and management." Two administrators who oversaw the projects during this time were placed on leave and subsequently resigned six years after Emmert had left the university.[4]

CL82

Reaction Score
I did not realize that Emmert was formerly at UConn....$100 million lost due to mismanagement! But not pinned to his watch.

Emmert oversaw the first two years of a ten-year-long, $1 billion construction project, UConn 2000, that added many new academic buildings, residence halls and landscape projects to the Storrs campus, and new buildings and facilities to the regional campuses. UConn 2000 is widely credited with transforming the university. Some of the projects became controversial because of charges of mismanagement in the facilities and contracting services. These issues, which included more than $100 million lost due to mismanagement and more than a hundred fire and safety code violations, did not come to light during Emmert's tenure. The vast majority of the projects were begun after Emmert's tenure. Something handwritten on Emmert's stationery in 1998 suggested he was aware of construction management challenges. Some of the construction projects later became the focus of a state investigation in 2005. Governor Rell called it "astonishing failure of oversight and management." Two administrators who oversaw the projects during this time were placed on leave and subsequently resigned six years after Emmert had left the university.[4]
Yep. He's a prince.

Reaction Score
now he just wants to burn it down on his way out. if he cant run it no one can.

Reaction Score
Isn't it the university Presidents and bureaucracies that brought this on?

Money comes from success in academic programs (donors want their names on institutes and buildings) and sports teams (same here), so the more donations for excellence in academics and winning in sports the better.

More money from TV contracts brought about lavish facilities and large, prominent, coaching staffs drawing salaries beyond most peoples' imaginations (Brent Venables, the DC at Clemson just signed a new five year contract with a base salary of $2.5M per year for example).

The beast sucks up huge amounts of revenue to keep up with the other beasts and on it goes. Emmert was the front man, taking the hits to keep his contract rising while the schools drew in the money and let him draw the flack.

Now neither he nor they know what to do. The fans are aging out and younger people care less about sports. Even places like Alabama and Florida are not selling out all games, so they're all milking the system for all they can while it lasts.

How will ratings fare when the P5 or whatever less encompassing group runs the basketball championships? If the money schools own the sport because their fans will ante up more NIL money and "lesser" schools have trouble getting the recruits necessary to compete, how long will it be before ratings drop and TV money starts to recede? What then?

Reaction Score
The NCAA is between a rock and a hard place after the 9-0 court decision....the court blew away the amateur sports argument...

The court saw through the "just schoolboys playing on Saturdays" argument....nobody knows where this will end up, but in a period of no regulation, we'll soon see.

If water really does seek its own level, having programs that put 100,000 in the stands playing in the same league as those putting 25,000 in the stands may be the "old" way that folks tell their grandkids about.

College football could evolve into those who are semi pro and those that are more on the Ivy League model.

Tensions will exist...will Notre Dame refuse to play the semi-pro game and stay with amateurism...Georgia Tech?

Reaction Score
Watchdog posted...

Now neither he nor they know what to do. The fans are aging out and younger people care less about sports. Even places like Alabama and Florida are not selling out all games, so they're all milking the system for all they can while it lasts.

True, in person game watching dynamics have been changing due to technology...BUT

Alabama averaged 101,117 per game...and in this year's spring scrimmage, had 43,000.

Seven SEC programs averaged 80,000 or more.

Four Big Ten programs averaged 80,000 or more

Two Big 12 programs averaged 80,000 or more

No others

South Carolina averaged 78,000, Notre Dame averaged 76,000 as did Wisconsin....and from there it is a drop into the 60's and 50's for the top 30 in home attendance per game.

Reaction Score
How will ratings fare when the P5 or whatever less encompassing group runs the basketball championships? If the money schools own the sport because their fans will ante up more NIL money and "lesser" schools have trouble getting the recruits necessary to compete, how long will it be before ratings drop and TV money starts to recede? What then?

There goes Selection Sunday, which is the whole point of March Madness IMO. The part when the little guy from Podunk Directional College, underdog tournament champs from the Ozark Mountain Conference, winners of only 15 games, gets hot, makes the dance and earns a shot at knocking off Goliath. That’s what MM is all about. Not 65 teams from huge conferences getting sponsored by rich boosters, and playing each other. This whole thing just sucks.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
There goes Selection Sunday, which is the whole point of March Madness IMO. The part when the little guy from Podunk Directional College, underdog tournament champs from the Ozark Mountain Conference, winners of only 15 games, gets hot, makes the dance and earns a shot at knocking off Goliath. That’s what MM is all about. Not 65 teams from huge conferences getting sponsored by rich boosters, and playing each other. This whole thing just sucks.

right. Which is why the blowhards who demanded this without actually seeing it coming deserve every bit of it

Reaction Score
I like cheering for the #16 seeds who have only won 1 game of 136 played in the men's tournament...it makes that one win memorable...but my cheering is short lived.

CL82

Reaction Score
I like cheering for the #16 seeds who have only won 1 game of 136 played in the men's tournament...it makes that one win memorable...but my cheering is short lived.
Well, you are getting older now so you probably have memory issues and what not.

Reaction Score
LOL...you are always trying to pick a fight in a nutto sort of way.

But....I know how many #16's have won a game in the men's tourney...and how many games the 16's had played...my cheering is short lived for 16's...because they play just one game....that is a short lifespan to cheer in a tourney for these hapless lads.

CL82

Reaction Score
LOL...you are always trying to pick a fight in a nutto sort of way.

But....I know how many #16's have won a game in the men's tourney...and how many games the 16's had played...my cheering is short lived for 16's...because they play just one game....that is a short lifespan to cheer in a tourney for these hapless lads.
Sigh… if you are replying to me, please use the reply function.

Pick a fight? Seriously? It was an obviously humorous comment. Your second post is the right reaction to it. :rolleyes:

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Never underestimate Emmert’s ability to turn something to crap.

“You can lean back and do nothing and then just wait and see what happens,” Emmert said. “Or you can say, ‘Look, we’re in it. This is a new era.’ We need to take advantage of it, pivot as much as we can toward the areas that I was just talking about and and embrace that change rather than fighting it.”

Translation: “You can lean back and do nothing and then just wait and see what happens or you can just say you are going to lean back and do nothing and pretend that that is a plan.”
Another translation: "I want no responsibility for anything or do anything other than say it's not my job ; the colleges themselves can figure it out themselves but I want to get a bonus for thinking up this forward looking genius insight and I want an extension on my contract.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Another translation: "I want no responsibility for anything or do anything other than say it's not my job ; the colleges themselves can figure it out themselves but I want to get a bonus for thinking up this forward looking genius insight and I want an extension on my contract.

Final translation

If a private organization can’t govern the parties who willingly want them to govern, then Slash and burn everything that isn’t needed (basically everything besides money making sports contracts)

CL82

Reaction Score
I think yours is more spot on.

Reaction Score
Since P5 is a football designation...and basketball power is not necessarily synonomous...It wouldn't seem to work...

But, brand new idea....have two BB tournaments...P5 and non P5....let the winners meet for the National Championship...two tournaments to watch, big lead up and millions cheering for each champ...Do away with the NIT.
Please. You can count the non-P5 “powers“ one one hand and won’t need all the fingers. My guess is that within the next 3-5 years the P5 go there own way to much more of a semi-pro or even minor league model. It is possible that there will be some additions and subtractions along the way, Cincinatti and say UCF in, Vandy and Wake out, Purdue out, Boise State in. Things like that. Won’t necessarily be 1-1.

Reaction Score
Please. You can count the non-P5 “powers“ one one hand and won’t need all the fingers. My guess is that within the next 3-5 years the P5 go there own way to much more of a semi-pro or even minor league model. It is possible that there will be some additions and subtractions along the way, Cincinatti and say UCF in, Vandy and Wake out, Purdue out, Boise State in. Things like that. Won’t necessarily be 1-1.
Have to agree. At some point schools will need to decide if athletics will stay a priority or be knocked down a few pegs. Competing with the big dogs might not be worth it for some of the academics. And if they’re not carrying their weight, they may decide or be asked to leave.

Reaction Score
Don't kid yourself that basketball won't feel the effects of the loss of "amateurism"...

With five on the court, the effect of procuring two or three future lottery picks in the right positions could put you in contention....

This is a key difference compared to some other major sports: Labor is even more valuable in basketball. There are fewer players in the sport.

Will boosters and connected sponsors pony up?

At Michigan, Duke, UNC ?

At Nova, Gonzaga ?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin