NC State Preview/Predictions | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NC State Preview/Predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We haven’t played well yet as a team. I’m predicting a solid team game and a W.

Reaction Score
A page into this thread and nobody has laid down a prediction.

At this point it's obvious the offense is still finding itself, but the defense already looks pretty close to locked in.

We shot out of our minds to start the game yesterday, which we can't count on every night.

I expect an ugly game, but played in a closer range than yesterday. While yesterday was played mainly in the +4 to +10 range, I expect this one to hang between -4 and +4 for most of the second half.

I think they're just a little more capable than we are of getting a bucket when they really have to.

NC State 59-55 UConn

Reaction Score
I’m going with a 2 point UConn win 73-71. I think the team has to be pumped for this, a great opportunity to prove themselves, improve the resume, all while entering conference play undefeated. NCState hasn’t had a close game this year so it’ll be interesting to see if they have jitters or don’t play with enough intensity down the stretch. I think pulling out a close win was huge for this team and I think with a proper game plan we can do it again.

I will add, hopefully being in this bubble helps with chemistry because the offense has been stagnant and lacked a form of chemistry or communication or leadership at times.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty decent friends with Thomas Allen, he is pretty bullish on their team this year, says they have high expectations for this season. Devon Daniels is their best player but they have quite a few guys who can get a bucket.
I remember when we thought Devon Daniels was coming, he was boys with Jalen Adams. But Ollie couldn't close. He couldn't close a ziplock bag near the end. I'll be so glad when all the Ollie misses move on, I thought we were about done with them!

Reaction Score
One thing I love so far is our rebounding. To dominate the boards against a team as long and athletic as USC is very encouraging. Whaley’s ability to keep the ball alive is so key for us.
Agree. That possesion where we got like 2 oRebs in a row was huge to kill clock and most importantly, not allow USC score for a minute.

Reaction Score
Get me involved here, I’d like to share a piece of my mind. I bring the spice, get with my assistant

I want people calling in and sharing thoughts pre and post game! If you want in send me a message and I'll get a link your way to join.

Reaction Score
We haven't had that game where everything has clicked yet (we didn't see one last year until they played Miami which was the 6th game of the year and then a long gap of mediocrity until February & March).

NC State has also only played KenPom #282, 305, and 224. This is their first real test.

This will be a big moment for Bouk to stop Devon Daniels. He seems to drive the operation for NCST. I could see Brendan Adams getting a lot of minutes this game if Hurley brings him in specifically to guard him close.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Aha, thanks,I misread. I thought you were saying they did a UConn / NC State game preview. That's a good article, though!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So I learned on Reddit that there is a metaphorical College Basketball Championship Belt. If you treated the belt like they do in Boxing, with it being taken any time the holder loses a game, that's the belt. At the moment, UConn is the belt holder. We are the undisputed heavy weight champions of the world! We can't allow this to go to NC State.

There was no national champion last year and evidently, USC held the belt. These are the all time stats going back to 1949.
College Basketball Belt - Google Sheets

Reaction Score
I'm a bad alum...I haven't paid hardly any attention to NC st this year...

THey lost their 2 best players from last season, but Funderburg(?) and Daniels are both solid players but the rest of the team is so-so players who can be hot or cold on a given night.

I really think we run away with this one as their D will be a step down from USC, and if they try and go zone against us we should have more success since they don't have nearly the length or inside presence we just saw. If Porkchop shut down Mobley for long stretches I think him and more likely Carlton can shut down Funderburg, and really force them to beat us from the 3pt line

70-61 good guys and the score looks better as they close it up in garbage time.

Reaction Score
We haven't had that game where everything has clicked yet (we didn't see one last year until they played Miami which was the 6th game of the year and then a long gap of mediocrity until February & March).

NC State has also only played KenPom #282, 305, and 224. This is their first real test.

This will be a big moment for Bouk to stop Devon Daniels. He seems to drive the operation for NCST. I could see Brendan Adams getting a lot of minutes this game if Hurley brings him in specifically to guard him close.
I was just thinking that NC State has not played anybody yet, and that is good for us because sometimes when you face your first real test, it comes as a shock.

Reaction Score
I don't love playing the Wolf Pack in a tournament that is part of the Jimmy V. Classic.
Jimmy V was an assistant at UConn for a few years in the 70s. We're fine

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
The fact that we haven’t played anywhere near our best basketball gives me real hope. If NC State wants to run and play a high possession game I think that works in our favor.

Reaction Score
NC State has won all 3 of its games by 30+ points, impressive regardless of competition. Hopefully, however, they'll be a bit shocked by the competition level and our athletes.

I'm intrigued by Jackson in this matchup. Think he should get a fair play of minutes. Their 3 most important cogs on offense are 6'3" (Hayes), 6'5" (Daniels), and 6'7" (Hellems). Jackson's best role for us is as an athletic defender against wings and that will be important tomorrow. Adams should get run as well. Hellems seems like Polley with a more attacking mindset, so we could definitely get away with Martin/Polley at the 4 if needed, but Whaley could probably guard him if we wanted to upsize them. Which we might, because they are particularly weak on the glass.

They've got 4 shooters on the court most times plus either a shot blocker (Bates) or more offensive oriented center (Funderburk). They do play 2 bigs sometimes when their 3rd big (freshman Gibson) comes in (and sparingly those 2 together). The frosh and Bates are active on the offensive boards.

NC State's defense seems similar to ours. High pressure man that attempts to disrupt, force turnovers, run guys off the 3pt line, and funnel into the shotblacker Bates. Even a bit better than us at forcing turnovers.

A Cole/Gaff, Bouk, Jackson, Martin, Whaley lineup gets us athletes to defend while still being able to hurt them on the glass with Bouk/Jackson/Martin/Whaley all being + rebounders for their positions and enough ball handlers and playmakers to handle the pressure and take advantage of driving lanes. Or maybe we go Whaley + Carlton/Sanogo to really punish them on the glass, because I do think Whaley can stay with Hellems.

Reaction Score
I remember when we thought Devon Daniels was coming, he was boys with Jalen Adams. But Ollie couldn't close. He couldn't close a ziplock bag near the end. I'll be so glad when all the Ollie misses move on, I thought we were about done with them!

The Ollie misses have moved on now all we need is for you to. By the way there’s a “miss” on the team that’s been a key to our season as well as our finish last year, so thank him for Whaley while you’re at it rip ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom