NC State @ Florida State and other Thursday games | Page 7 | The Boneyard

NC State @ Florida State and other Thursday games

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
McDonald is gonna have 25 FT attempts at this rate. She just fell down completely on her own dribbling in circles and she got the whistle. Good thing she's only hit about half of them.

UW had maybe 3 winnable games left, only 1 at home, and they kicked this one away. This team is so sad to watch. Most of their roster isn't even close to Pac 12 caliber players.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Arizona gets a win they desperately needed 69-59. McDonald finished w/ 24, left a ton of points out there only shooting 11-19 from the FT line. She only had 6 made FG. Melgoza also scored 24. Thomas and McBryde also into double figures for UA w/ 15 and 10. Darcy Rees the only other Husky in double figures w/ 13, she's really been coming on strong down the stretch.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'll be having it on the rocks. Square cubes. Better stuff I do drink neat. Not sure Wild Turkey requires such treatment.

1549632676448.png

I read him your post and he's been all puffed up ever since! :eek:

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
I’m not crazy about Cunningham’s persona, but lordy she plays hard.

I think she's absolutely one of those players you love when she's on your team and simply hate when she's the opposition.
I'll be pouring a glass of Wild Turkey as soon as I get home.

Clearly you are a simian who knows a fine bourbon.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
At end of 3Q, Gustafson has 31 points and 10 rebounds. Ho hum just another day at the office for her.

I wonder if things could play out in a way where the NCAA could set up a Mississippi State-Iowa battle in the Sweet 16? That'd be a game worth the price of admission.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Gustafson finished w/ 41 points and 14 rebounds. I'm w/ @Plebe . She absolutely should be a 1st Team AA.

I love her as a player, but as a Mississippi State fan, I would never trade McCowan for her, so I see it differently.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Love this pic from Duke Wcbb Twitter. .Might have to use it put this on the background of my laptop :D. If you zoom in... The looks on some of the Tarheel fans faces... The head in hands.. The hands to foreheads :p:p

IMG_20190208_134030.jpg

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I love her as a player, but as a Mississippi State fan, I would never trade McCowan for her, so I see it differently.

I think everybody is happy with who they have. McCowan is a force of nature who has had plenty of monster games, especially with the rebounding. But I really like Gustafson's consistency. I don't think she's had a bad or subpar game all year. That's huge to me.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
I think everybody is happy with who they have. McCowan is a force of nature who has had plenty of monster games, especially with the rebounding. But I really like Gustafson's consistency. I don't think she's had a bad or subpar game all year. That's huge to me.

I absolutely agree that she's a more consistent player, and I'm very impressed by that. I really wish McCowan had her motor some nights.

The reason I choose McCowan is the higher ceiling. It's pretty rare for her to not show up these days (and that's still usually a double double), but in the biggest games she is a major problem for the opponent and can be a difference maker in those biggest games. I'm not sure Gustafson is that. I reserve the right for her to prove me wrong (may not be possible at Iowa).

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In a game with huge bubble implications, LSU has raced out to a 28-8 lead over Arkansas in mid-2Q.

Megan Gustafson has 19 of Iowa's 31 points midway through 2Q vs. Michigan State.
If I get a ballot, she is 1st team AA.

I think it is important for all of us to know, as the fateful March stuff approaches , the kinetics, the science, the wonders of elasticity and yet alas, yes, the bursting bubble.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I think it is important for all of us to know, as the fateful March stuff approaches , the kinetics, the science, the wonders of elasticity and yet alas, yes, the bursting bubble.

There’s a wonderful little book called “The physics of soap bubbles,” from the early 1900’s. They’re fascinating little things, and the book is kind of a microcosm of maybe 50% of classical physics. You’ve got the surface tension that keeps them together, the forces that make them out-of-round and that make them move, and the optics that give them their rich colors.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The reason I choose McCowan is the higher ceiling. It's pretty rare for her to not show up these days (and that's still usually a double double), but in the biggest games she is a major problem for the opponent and can be a difference maker in those biggest games. I'm not sure Gustafson is that. I reserve the right for her to prove me wrong (may not be possible at Iowa).
But in MSU's biggest game of the regular season, she was a no-show and sat on the pine for the final 6:12.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
But in MSU's biggest game of the regular season, she was a no-show and sat on the pine for the final 6:12.

You neglected to mention she had 35 and 19 against Oregon last year. I can't explain that game, but I've got a feeling she will be well motivated come tourney time.

Try to be as diligent about data mining her good games.

Plebe

Reaction Score
You neglected to mention she had 35 and 19 against Oregon last year. I can't explain that game, but I've got a feeling she will be well motivated come tourney time.

Try to be as diligent about data mining her good games.
No, I didn't neglect anything. I'm just providing a counterexample to your not-quite-completely-true statement. I'm well aware she's had some big games, but clearly her pom-pom brigade here doesn't need my help reminding everyone about that in every thread that dares to offer praise to another player somewhere in the country.

Last edited:

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
No, I didn't neglect anything. I'm just providing a counterexample to your not-quite-completely-true statement. I'm well aware she's had some big games, but clearly her pom-pom brigade here doesn't need my help reminding everyone about that in every thread that dares to offer praise to another player somewhere in the country.

This pom-pom brigade member rarely jumps in to brag about McCowan, even when others are bashing her, and posted a nice article about Megan Gustafson earlier today.

I'm not going to bother posting her NCAA Tourney stats from last year other than to say she demolished the tournament and Final Four rebounding records. Those are the big games I was thinking of.

Reaction Score
But the replay of her game winner in the Championship Game has been replayed by ESPN about a million times. She has to have some PR/marketing value!

Her stock is cemented only up from here. No surprises in what you will get from Rike

Reaction Score
Maybe in the midwest and south. Not in the northeast (especially in Connecticut) part of the country. There are some ND fans that live here in the west. Like UConn fans, they're every where. I wouldn't say they are beloved here. ND is one of our (USC) oldest and most intense rivalries in college football. Admittedly they do travel well for their games here in the LA Coliseum.

I don't know if it's the weather, the beaches, Disneyland/Universal studios tour and city walk, the Hollywood experience, or the shops on Rodeo Drive. They come, and they spend some $$$. Memories can fade over time. The WNBA is a "what have you done for me lately" league.

If that was the case theres a certain player that was drafted #4 last season that needs a reality check too?

Plebe

Reaction Score
This pom-pom brigade member rarely jumps in to brag about McCowan, even when others are bashing her, and posted a nice article about Megan Gustafson earlier today.

I'm not going to bother posting her NCAA Tourney stats from last year other than to say she demolished the tournament and Final Four rebounding records. Those are the big games I was thinking of.
I'm not one to bash her, and I didn't see where you posted an article about Gustafson.

I just thought it was a bit ... odd ... to reply to a comment about Gustafson deserving 1st team AA with a comment that you think McCowan is better. No one ever claimed Gustafson was the better of the two.

She was no doubt a monster in the Final Four last year, but not so much in the SEC championship game.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
I'm not one to bash her, and I didn't see where you posted an article about Gustafson.

I just thought it was a bit ... odd ... to reply to a comment about Gustafson deserving 1st team AA with a comment that you think McCowan is better. No one ever claimed Gustafson was the better of the two.

She was no doubt a monster in the Final Four last year, but not so much in the SEC championship game.

I was making the assumption that if Gustafson is a 1st team AA, then McCowan won't be. That may be wrong.

After that assumption, I simply said I felt differently, without degrading Gustafson.

Just differing opinions.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
There's no reason why Gustafson and McCowan can't both be selected 1st team is there? I don't think it's either/or and they aren't directly competing with each other for seleciton.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I was making the assumption that if Gustafson is a 1st team AA, then McCowan won't be. That may be wrong.

After that assumption, I simply said I felt differently, without degrading Gustafson.

Just differing opinions.
I don't think that assumption is correct. The AA teams aren't selected by position.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
There's no reason why Gustafson and McCowan can't both be selected 1st team is there? I don't think it's either/or and they aren't directly competing with each other for seleciton.

No idea. There are 4 high quality posts just off the Top of my head in T, Gustafson, Anigwe and Brown. Any one of them has a case for 1st team IMO. I just have my favorite obviously.

I feel like Ionescu and Durr are locks. Probably Collier too. Thoughts?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
No idea. There are 4 high quality posts just off the Top of my head in T, Gustafson, Anigwe and Brown. Any one of them has a case for 1st team IMO. I just have my favorite obviously.

I feel like Ionescu and Durr are locks. Probably Collier too. Thoughts?

I'd add Smith from Stanford to the quality posts list. Tough competition. Some very good players aren't going to be named First Team AA.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Y'all are right. Appears to just be total votes for most AA teams. Certainly for the AP.

Forgot KLS was 1st team AP last year. So were Ionescu and Durr.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom