NBC continues to add sports | The Boneyard

NBC continues to add sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They just acquired the rights to broadcast Formula 1. So now they have both major open wheel racing series. This won't compete with much, but the bass fishing shows will probably be migrating to the other specialty networks.

Reaction Score
Four of the races (including Texas) will be on the mother ship, the rest on NBC sports.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
However, they're programming is so bad that they are replaying the Best of the Olympics. Saw a commercial for it last night in SNF and my wife turned to me and said, WTF?!? I said that it's what happens when an all-sports network is desperate for viewers.....

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
As long as one of those sports isn't Big East Basketball or Football, then go NBC Sports!

Reaction Score
As long as one of those sports isn't Big East Basketball or Football, then go NBC Sports!

I tend to agree. NHL, PBR, IndyCar and now F1 are all niche sports. It would be really bad for the brand to get stuck on the island with the other unused toys.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I tend to agree. NHL, PBR, IndyCar and now F1 are all niche sports. It would be really bad for the brand to get stuck on the island with the other unused toys.

For basketball in partucular, it could be a wasteland. Too many many missed opportunities with "Big" every day of the week on ESPN, the conference challenges etc. Plus, I don't relish going to the local sports bar to try to catch UConn-Georgetown and having to explain to bartender..."It's NBC Sports"..."What? Never heard of it." Odds are it will never, ever be on in any sports bar outside of CT.

Reaction Score
I have no idea where we will land on a contract, but aren't we saying the same things of NBC they said about espn some years back? If NBC offers more than ESPN are we saying we would rather take less and be their b1tch? See the No Texas - La Laf game last night b/c that is where you might find UConn FB in 14 - tues night football!

I am not an expert, but I would guess that Comcast is not thinking "we get BE football and we are set"

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What else are they going to get?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

MWC, C-USA, Sun Belt, MAC football! We're lumped in with them now for that contract bowl, why not lump us together for NBC as well. Lol!

The sadness is the reality of that statement

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
"The negativity on this board sucks. You know what, an ACC or Big10 offer ain't walking through that door people..."

I have a hunch Comcast bought NBC with a plan. Just a hunch. if they have intentions of challenging ESPN, they need to grab content. It wasn't that long ago that you could turn on ESPN and watch sportscenter for 12 straight hours, then catch some bowling, bull riding, or even some other 'niche' sports as well. Okay, sportscenter still runs for 10 hours a day...

my point is, looking at what NBC sports is today and suggesting we don't want to be part of that is short-sighted. there is a plan and if the BE is a piece of that, let's go. At some point, ESPN is going to find they can't keep all the contracts if there is a valid market...

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
"The negativity on this board sucks. You know what, an ACC or Big10 offer ain't walking through that door people..."

I have a hunch Comcast bought NBC with a plan. Just a hunch. if they have intentions of challenging ESPN, they need to grab content. It wasn't that long ago that you could turn on ESPN and watch sportscenter for 12 straight hours, then catch some bowling, bull riding, or even some other 'niche' sports as well. Okay, sportscenter still runs for 10 hours a day...

my point is, looking at what NBC sports is today and suggesting we don't want to be part of that is short-sighted. there is a plan and if the BE is a piece of that, let's go. At some point, ESPN is going to find they can't keep all the contracts if there is a valid market...

I don't doubt that they have a plan. I doubt their ability to sucessfully execute the plan.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

There is nothing out for bid. Look at how far out the contracts are.

pj

Reaction Score
I'd rather be featured on NBC than buried on ESPN. Forget Big Monday, how about Big East game of the day -- every day!

Reaction Score
I don't doubt that they have a plan. I doubt their ability to sucessfully execute the plan.

And you doubt they can successfully execute because a corporation with a market cap of $99,000,000,000 and whose stock is up some 70% this year can't possibly have some dudes smart enough to do what ??????????

Reaction Score
I would love to see the plan.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And you doubt they can successfully execute because a corporation with a market cap of $99,000,000,000 and whose stock is up some 70% this year can't possibly have some dudes smart enough to do what ??????????

It's not all that easy to compete as a sports network with no actual sports to show.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

How about: Overcome (i) the fact that a company just as big, with way more media experience is the deeply entrenched leader in the space and (ii) the fact that the idiots at GE still own 49%. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm saying the mere fact that NBC has a plan means nothing.

For example, Comcast, despite actually owning a fair amount of the infrastructure of the internet and its delivery systems, has crappy media content in the sports area. Where is the website? Where are the apps? Hell even CBS and Fox have decent sports oriented websites that drive some mindshare, along with CNN/Si and even Sporting News. NBC has a site, but nobody goes there. How about iPhone apps for updates and streaming content? They ought to try to buy Rivals from Yahoo or something. They are starting so far in the basement that it will be a long climb out. They might make it, and they are probably the best bet for the league if they pay up. But let's not pretend that they can catch up anytime soon.

Reaction Score
OK OK ...

We have got about 3-5 guys that are going to torment us for years. We get it. The Big East isn't really an actual sport. Go watch the SEC ... damnit.

For the rest of us: I do think the 5th wheel on ESPN versus the major Focus of NBC Sports new channel is a relavant topic. I think our position on ESPN will never improve. a classic Lose-Lose. And, if we had a Providence guy on here, & pumped him with truth serum, they would tell you that the slights & outright aggressive tactics with the ACC piss them off. So ... YEAH ... we have a choice. Thank God for that.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
OK OK ...

We have got about 3-5 guys that are going to torment us for years. We get it. The Big East isn't really an actual sport. Go watch the SEC ... damnit.

For the rest of us: I do think the 5th wheel on ESPN versus the major Focus of NBC Sports new channel is a relavant topic. I think our position on ESPN will never improve. a classic Lose-Lose. And, if we had a Providence guy on here, & pumped him with truth serum, they would tell you that the slights & outright aggressive tactics with the ACC piss them off. So ... YEAH ... we have a choice. Thank God for that.

Look NBC is fine. All I'm saying is that expecting it to be some kind of white knight savior for a league that doesn't have that many appealing schools is just as far fetched as waiting for the B1G invite. It is exactly like the NBE, probably the only real option, and not really a great one.

Reaction Score
Look NBC is fine. All I'm saying is that expecting it to be some kind of white knight savior for a league that doesn't have that many appealing schools is just as far fetched as waiting for the B1G invite. It is exactly like the NBE, probably the only real option, and not really a great one.
If that's truly your outlook, why bother?

Reaction Score
How about: Overcome (i) the fact that a company just as big, with way more media experience is the deeply entrenched leader in the space and (ii) the fact that the idiots at GE still own 49%. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm saying the mere fact that NBC has a plan means nothing.

For example, Comcast, despite actually owning a fair amount of the infrastructure of the internet and its delivery systems, has crappy media content in the sports area. Where is the website? Where are the apps? Hell even CBS and Fox have decent sports oriented websites that drive some mindshare, along with CNN/Si and even Sporting News. NBC has a site, but nobody goes there. How about iPhone apps for updates and streaming content? They ought to try to buy Rivals from Yahoo or something. They are starting so far in the basement that it will be a long climb out. They might make it, and they are probably the best bet for the league if they pay up. But let's not pretend that they can catch up anytime soon.

Was that a long way of saying the same thing or did you change your statement that the $99 billion market cap company has a plan but you doubt that they can successfully execute.
It's not all that easy to compete as a sports network with no actual sports to show.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
If that's truly your outlook, why bother?

I'm a UConn fan. I don't care about the Big East. The two are not the same. Their fortunes are not forever intertwined.

Reaction Score
I'm a UConn fan. I don't care about the Big East. The two are not the same. Their fortunes are not forever intertwined.
With the name Husky Hawk, no doubt you're a fan.
Just seems like a waste of time being a fan of a team whose linked to a 'crappy' league who may become linked to a 'crappy' network. I'm a fan as well, but it's not like Uconn FB is the flagship program...

Let me guess, thinking of Uconn on NBC made you throw up in your mouth as well...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Well played, sir. You forgot, " and if they are, they're old and gray."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer