NBC continues to add sports | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NBC continues to add sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I wathed the UFL on NBCSports last night. It was riveting to see the 10s of fans in the new Rosenblatt Stadium (If it's even called that anymore.) in Omaha. What's my point...I guess I Don't really have one except that if the UFL was on the equivelent of SNYs of the world, I wouldn't have watched it for the 6 1/2 minutes that I did.

Reaction Score
I wathed the UFL on NBCSports last night. It was riveting to see the 10s of fans in the new Rosenblatt Stadium (If it's even called that anymore.) in Omaha. What's my point...I guess I Don't really have one except that if the UFL was on the equivelent of SNYs of the world, I wouldn't have watched it for the 6 1/2 minutes that I did.

So if was on espn you would have watched it for 6 mins and 31 seconds?

Husky25

Reaction Score
So if was on espn you would have watched it for 6 mins and 31 seconds?

No, I had to draw the line at 6:30 regardless. My son was cranky...;)...

Point being: if the UFL was only Comcast Sports Nebraska, it wouldn't have been on in New England. If the Big East, and UConn by extension, is on NBC Sports, it's exposed to that much more of the country. Also, who's to say that a few games don't make the MotherShip?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
With the name Husky Hawk, no doubt you're a fan.
Just seems like a waste of time being a fan of a team whose linked to a 'crappy' league who may become linked to a 'crappy' network. I'm a fan as well, but it's not like Uconn FB is the flagship program...

Let me guess, thinking of Uconn on NBC made you throw up in your mouth as well...

Well I became a fan in the late 70's early 80's, mostly thanks to some good Dom Perno teams. Used to watch with my dad. Then I spent my four years there. Soccer was much bigger than football at that point (Dan Donigan current RU coach was the BMOC), although football was competitive in the Yankee conference. By the time I graduated Matt DeGennarro was throwing the ball better than anybody we've seen in the last several years.

So no, I don't throw up. What I care about most of all is UConn's image as a university. I don't think the Big East helps it anymore and I think it is holding us back. That's not about football, where we have a long way to go. I don't think UConn can reach its overall potential in the BE. So NBC or ESPN, it doesn't matter much. Neither will alter the reality. I think it will be harder for me to follow the team on NBC, since I don't get SNY and rely on ESPN 3 heavily.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I think it will be harder for me to follow the team on NBC, since I don't get SNY and rely on ESPN 3 heavily.

Care to explain? NBC is a national network. There is at least an outside shot for games to be on the MotherShip, no?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Care to explain? NBC is a national network. There is at least an outside shot for games to be on the MotherShip, no?

Sure, but how many? Will I still have access to the basketball games against Bucknell and Fordham etc? ESPN 3 has been fanatastic for me. I''m not worried about basketball against Louisville, that will be on CBS or NBC or what have you. Football will make the cut occasionally (assuming we can play better). The Rutgers game was on what, ESPN U? That's their 3rd level channel (4th if you count ABC). So with NBC, who has only NBC and NBC Sports...where does that game land?

It may work out. Perhaps some of the games against the western schools will make it due to the start time. But the amount of simultaneous bandwidth is not currently competitive with ESPN, and if you count ESPN 3 the difference becomes huge.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think NBCS is a joke but can't imagine the league would move there without a streaming package like ESPN3 as part of the deal.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Sure, but how many? Will I still have access to the basketball games against Bucknell and Fordham etc? ESPN 3 has been fanatastic for me. I''m not worried about basketball against Louisville, that will be on CBS or NBC or what have you. Football will make the cut occasionally (assuming we can play better). The Rutgers game was on what, ESPN U? That's their 3rd level channel (4th if you count ABC). So with NBC, who has only NBC and NBC Sports...where does that game land?

It may work out. Perhaps some of the games against the western schools will make it due to the start time. But the amount of simultaneous bandwidth is not currently competitive with ESPN, and if you count ESPN 3 the difference becomes huge.

I understand whereyou're coming from but NBC casts a wider net than just those two channels. The Olympics were shown on NBC, MSNBC, CNBC, NBCSports, UHD (Universal Hi-Def, which is an HD channel only, but replays the Notre Dame Games), etc. Also since Comcast is now in control of NBC Universal, you now have all the regional Sportsnet networks that currently show the likes of URI and Dartmouth.

I'm not saying that this would definitely happen in regards to the Big East, but whoda thunk CBS would broadcast March Madness on TruTV? The infrastructure may not in place as we speak, but it would behoove the Powers-That-Be to make sure something similar was in the pipeline.

Reaction Score
I have no idea where we will land on a contract, but aren't we saying the same things of NBC they said about espn some years back? If NBC offers more than ESPN are we saying we would rather take less and be their b1tch? See the No Texas - La Laf game last night b/c that is where you might find UConn FB in 14 - tues night football!

I am not an expert, but I would guess that Comcast is not thinking "we get BE football and we are set"

I wsa going to say that if you threw in World's Strongest Pan competitions and random crap like Paintball, it sounds a lot like ESPN2 during my college years.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I think NBCS is a joke but can't imagine the league would move there without a streaming package like ESPN3 as part of the deal.

No game on NBC Sports will ever be on ESPN3. Ever.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No game on NBC Sports will ever be on ESPN3. Ever.

A streaming package 'like' ESPN 3. Obviously no NBC game is going to be on ESPN 3. They have the ability to duplicate the concept.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Another huge milestone for NBCS tonight - while the Pac 12, MLB, NFL are on the competition they came up with 6 hours of olympic basketball replay blowouts in prime time.

It's like Jack Donaghy is running the network and is trying to take it on purpose.

Reaction Score
Another huge milestone for NBCS tonight - while the Pac 12, MLB, NFL are on the competition they came up with 6 hours of olympic basketball replay blowouts in prime time.

It's like Jack Donaghy is running the network and is trying to take it on purpose.
Don't get your point...
Are you saying that NBC desperately needs content and therefore might be willing to pay a premium?
Or are you suggesting that we don't want to be on NBC because if the BE signs with NBC they won't show any games. They'll continue to broadcast Olympic replays and only show BE football three months later.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Don't get your point...
Are you saying that NBC desperately needs content and therefore might be willing to pay a premium?
Or are you suggesting that we don't want to be on NBC because if the BE signs with NBC they won't show any games. They'll continue to broadcast Olympic replays and only show BE football three months later.

Just pointing out that the fictional 30 Rock story line seems to be playing out in real life on NBCS.

zls44

Reaction Score
UFL just announced that it's suspending operations. Another terrible piece of programming by NBC. Typical. At least they have the NHL...oh, wait.

Reaction Score
... And content: The Dan Patrick Show will debut on NBC Sports Network next week...more details to come. @dpshow @nbcsn @NBCSports

zls44

Reaction Score
DP Show is a good get for them from 9-12:30. Fun show to watch. Are they just punting on The 'Lights competing with SportsCenter? What the hell are they running at night? Elk Hunt?*

*Note: this is good news for the Big East, but still pathetic

zls44

Reaction Score
I thought they were also on NBCSN? Classified...hilarious.

Reaction Score
in NBC sports defense they were expecting to have the NHL to show right now but now they're scrambling to find something else to fill in. The NHL was going over a similar issue, whether to be buried on ESPN or have an upstart (then it was Vs.) feature the sport. It ended up working out well for the NHL and now that Vs has switched to NBC the programming got significantly better. I originally hated on the Vs deal for hockey as I am a huge hockey fan but they show a ton of games and they actually have sports news shows now, something they didnt have before. As consumers we benefit from another station giving us some sort of option outside of ESPN.

Reaction Score
I don't get this line of thinking. A joke? More like an upstart to me. I remember watching Australian Rules Football on ESPN. NBCS is not yet A pimple on ESPN s butt, but competition is great. The big east was once a big part of espn becoming so popular. Let's hope history repeats itself with another network.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't get this line of thinking. A joke? More like an upstart to me. I remember watching Australian Rules Football on ESPN. NBCS is not yet A pimple on ESPN s butt, but competition is great. The big east was once a big part of espn becoming so popular. Let's hope history repeats itself with another network.

Can anyone pro NBCS please tell me if they add the Big East what other complimentary live sports they are going to add?

The rise of another sports network is not going to look like ESPN's rise - they had no similar competitors.

I can not wait for the TV deal to be done to shut the doors on the NBCS fantasy.

Reaction Score
Can anyone pro NBCS please tell me if they add the Big East what other complimentary live sports they are going to add?

The rise of another sports network is not going to look like ESPN's rise - they had no similar competitors.

I can not wait for the TV deal to be done to shut the doors on the NBCS fantasy.

Well, having exclusive coverage of the NHL is certainly something. I believe they also have MLS, I remember the olympic coverage ending for a MLS game. It's certainly not much and outside of the hockey season I just don't watch the channel, but compared to what they had even 2 years ago it's a substantial improvement. Now with NBC's name attached to it I see them growing even faster.

pj

Reaction Score
They have to bootstrap themselves. Once they get a critical mass of fans they can afford to bid more aggressively on bigger properties. Comcast isn't likely to bet ten billion on a swing-for-the-fences project like MLB, the NFL, or BCS leagues (which don't come up immediately anyway), but they can try to hit singles, make money on it, and then doubles, and then go for home runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom