OT: - NBA Playoffs | Page 30 | The Boneyard

OT: NBA Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Celtics missed 6 straight 3's between 6 and 3 minutes left. Not gonna win like that.

Reaction Score
The Celtics have more talent, but the Heat are 100x better coached.

Stevens not using his challenge on a clear charge, and then the Celtics quit. Embarrassing stuff.

Reaction Score
Their defense was significantly better when Grant was out there. The second Theis came back in, Bam destroyed them.

Grant was tired, so he went out. Adebayo scored twice, and Stevens got him up to go back in. He was stuck at the scorer's desk for the next 2 Bam buckets because there was no whistle. He came back in and the Heat then scored on 7 straight possessions (13 points) and the Celtics didn't score on something like 10 straight
possessions .

During that stretch, Brad put in their best 5 lineup, but it didn't matter cause they missed all their shots (which led to Heat transition). Heat were in zone, which the Celtics had shredded earlier in the game due to Stevens gameplanning.

Did he coach a perfect game? No. Did they lose because of Stevens? No.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
How would you have defended Bam? The Celtics options are Theis, Timelord, Kanter, or Grant Williams.

Big Swat Bob. He should be starting and Stevens won’t play him. But yes, they need someone athletic in the paint.

That said. Tatum missed everything. Kemba missed everything. Brown and Hayward missed everything, and Smart who usually misses, took way too many shots. It’s a shooters league.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Big Swat Bob. He should be starting and Stevens won’t play him. But yes, they need someone athletic in the paint.

That said. Tatum missed everything. Kemba missed everything. Brown and Hayward missed everything, and Smart who usually misses, took way too many shots. It’s a shooters league.

You get a like just for helping me make big swat bob become a thing

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Enes Kanter. The Celtics have one center, and they didn't play him. Theis is a hustler and a solid role player, but he was completely outmatched by Adebayo the whole series and was useless on offense. I don't get why Grant Williams plays at all. Kanter's D rating in the playoffs was better than Theis', and Kanter is a force down low, keeping Adebayo honest.

Kanter is in Stevens' dog house for some reason, and that may have cost the Celtics a shot at a title.

Reaction Score
Enes Kanter. The Celtics have one center, and they didn't play him. Theis is a hustler and a solid role player, but he was completely outmatched by Adebayo the whole series and was useless on offense. I don't get why Grant Williams plays at all. Kanter's D rating in the playoffs was better than Theis', and Kanter is a force down low, keeping Adebayo honest.

Kanter is in Stevens' dog house for some reason, and that may have cost the Celtics a shot at a title.

Kanter's D rating was higher because Stevens played Kanter in Adebayo-less minutes while Theis played against starters. He doesn't play Kanter against Adebayo for 2 reasons: Best use of Kanter's oreb strength against smaller Heat lineup and because once Adebayo came in they went right at Kanter with PnR and Stevens saw that go poorly enough games/seasons in a row.

You think Kanter is defending that Adebayo take from the 3 point line for the dunk? He's getting blown by.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Kanter's D rating was higher because Stevens played Kanter in Adebayo-less minutes while Theis played against starters. He doesn't play Kanter against Adebayo for 2 reasons: Best use of Kanter's oreb strength against smaller Heat lineup and because once Adebayo came in they went right at Kanter with PnR and Stevens saw that go poorly enough games/seasons in a row.

You think Kanter is defending that Adebayo take from the 3 point line for the dunk? He's getting blown by.

I know that Kanter averaged almost a double double and was critical in getting Portland to the conference finals last year. I know he is in the prime of his career. I know the Celtics picked him up for the playoffs. and I know that Stevens didn't play him at all.

Stevens was not only playing Kanter when Adebayo was not on the court, and Kanter's minutes had little if anything to do with Adebayo.

Coaches rarely mix up lineups as they get deeper in the playoffs. Part of the reason is conservatism (new lineups are risky) and part of that is failure to admit they were wrong. Stevens almost lost to an inferior Raptors team in the second round while only playing Kanter 7 minutes in the whole series.

Kanter has a player's option, and he would be crazy to return to Boston, so he won't be Stevens' problem next season.

Reaction Score
They would not have been able to televise what Bam would have done to Kanter without a parental guidance warning. Kanter thinks "defense" is the thing that encloses his hard.

Reaction Score
Stevens was not only playing Kanter when Adebayo was not on the court, and Kanter's minutes had little if anything to do with Adebayo.

He subbed him in when Adebayo went out and then subbed him out the first whistle after Adebayo came back in. The game before he also put him in when Adebayo was out. He didn't play game 4, and game 3 he subbed him in when Adebayo went out and subbed him out the first whistle after Adebayo came back in.

I can't read Brad's mind, but the pattern is pretty clear (and the process is logical as I outlined).

Reaction Score
I didn't watch a ton of Kentucky basketball when he was there but I never would have guessed that Adebayo would ever be this kind of player, let alone right out of the gate.
It's insane how many great players Kentucky has in the league and hard to believe all Calipari has to show for it is 1 championship. These guys step right in the league and are great.

Reaction Score
It's insane how many great players Kentucky has in the league and hard to believe all Calipari has to show for it is 1 championship. These guys step right in the league and are great.

Was his game anything like this at Kentucky? I remember him just being a bully and he's way more dynamic than that.

Reaction Score
I think the deeper reason people don’t like LBJ and the reason some of the most ardent MJ>LBJ arguers is because MJ just shut up and dribbled for their entertainment, while LBJ has not

Anyone who thinks MJ > Lebron stopped watching basketball in the 90's.

In MJs 14th and 15th NBA season he failed to make the playoffs in the East. The East was a horrendous conference then too.

In Lebrons 14th and 15th NBA season he took the Cavs to the NBA Finals. His 15th season was arguably one of the worst NBA finals rosters ever assembled and Lebron carried them anyway.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score

And you can't call UK an NBA factory as its just a 1 year temporary bridge for those 5* players. One and done don't get them many rings at college.

the Q

Reaction Score

because he did stuff like in 2015 let the Harrison twins act like they were the best players on the court instead of Booker and Townes when they faced Wisky.

That was just awful coaching by him. That team was ridiculously loaded. They should've steamrolled everyone.

Reaction Score

In MJs 14th and 15th NBA season he failed to make the playoffs in the East. The East was a horrendous conference then too.

In Lebrons 14th and 15th NBA season he took the Cavs to the NBA Finals. His 15th season was arguably one of the worst NBA finals rosters ever assembled and Lebron carried them anyway.

the Q

Reaction Score

Jordan was quite a few years than him At that point due to unc and minor league baseball. Actual age is a better indicator, imo.

Reaction Score
Jordan was quite a few years than him At that point due to unc and minor league baseball. Actual age is a better indicator, imo.
And yet LBJ has 7500 more minutes on his body. That’s 215 games of playing 35 minutes a game, and a big reason he has more minutes is because they are playoff minutes, i.e. way more intense. It at least evens out.

Reaction Score
I think one thing that is missed is what MJ and LBJ respectively had to do once they won and got to the top of the league. Sure MJ has to overcome the aging Pistons and aging Bird, just like LBJ had to overcome the Celtics and their big 3, and then the Spurs and their dynasty. But then, LBJ had to deal with the Spurs as peers during his time in Miami, and then a superteam dynasty in GS. Once he got to the top, who exactly was MJ beating in the finals...? When was he ever not favored in a Finals? When the 93 Suns and Charles Barkley is your toughest Finals opponent...

Reaction Score

This is so incredibly stupid. Jordan's 14 and 15th season was coming off his second retirement where he hadn't played in the league for 3 years and was about to turn 39. He was an MVP candidate for the Wizards at the all-star break before he got injured and they had a monumental turnaround.

Jordan got bored with basketball and being the most famous person in the world. If it wasn't for his dad getting murdered and him getting bored/having Reinsdorf and Krause break up the Bulls you're looking at 10 championships for MJ.

If you're talking about this season for Lebron he's playing with another top 5 player in the NBA, no other current star in the league comes close to having that luxury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom