NBA Playoffs 2023

why do you like the celtics?

• sixers

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • celtics

Votes: 65 82.3%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
I hate "the Process," and any team who intentionally tanks for multiple years as a sorry attempt at a title (which has still alluded them). They don't win it this year, I don't think it's happening anytime soon with an aging Harden and too many miles on a player like Embiid.

Go Celts.
Vomit south park grossed out GIF on GIFER - by Mern

Reaction Score
Celtics are best team in NBA. I think when they ar healthy and motivated - and in nba that is hard— they annihilate teams.

Embiid is most unstoppable player. Literally, impossible to guard.

But he doesn’t play with a motor. He dominates in spurts.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Let him win this series and I’m ready to overreact with the best player in the league dialogue.

He just made Westbrook look like a winning player tonight while having an All Time Westbrick performance.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Nba is unwatchable. I’d literally rather eat glass than watch any nba game.
It’s incredible to me that people feel this way, especially given we just won our 5th chip playing the most modern, NBA-style scheme on both ends that I’ve ever seen from a college team.

The league today is absolutely incredible — and getting better all the time — and has been for about 15 years. Players 1-through-5 are more skilled, off-ball actions are more complicated, defenses are more clever. It’s the game at its very best.

One thing I think about a lot is how Calhoun understood this 35 years ago, and how he was ahead of his time in understanding pace and space. Our greats from the 80s and 90s (Cliff, Smitty, Burrell, Donyell, Ray, Doron, Travis) would be even better today because the guards could all move, process multiple offensive options, and shoot, and the bigs could all defend in space but protect the rim, too.

Smitty’s the one I think about all the time. If he came into the league now he’d be a 6th man on an elite team instead of a fringe guy who fell out of the league in 3 years. Oh well.

Reaction Score
It’s incredible to me that people feel this way, especially given we just won our 5th chip playing the most modern, NBA-style scheme on both ends that I’ve ever seen from a college team.

The league today is absolutely incredible — and getting better all the time — and has been for about 15 years. Players 1-through-5 are more skilled, off-ball actions are more complicated, defenses are more clever. It’s the game at its very best.

One thing I think about a lot is how Calhoun understood this 35 years ago, and how he was ahead of his time in understanding pace and space. Our greats from the 80s and 90s (Cliff, Smitty, Burrell, Donyell, Ray, Doron, Travis) would be even better today because the guards could all move, process multiple offensive options, and shoot, and the bigs could all defend in space but protect the rim, too.

Smitty’s the one I think about all the time. If he came into the league now he’d be a 6th man on an elite team instead of a fringe guy who fell out of the league in 3 years. Oh well.
It’s just old heads that want 84-80 ugly, overly physical games. The idea that the NBA is unwatchable is so ridiculous. These players absolutely wipe the floor, skill wise, to any past generation.

Reaction Score
How the game is officiated today is a serious beef I can get behind. Every NBA fan has thrown up their hands in frustration at one point or another with the blatant favoritism afforded to offensive players. It's already so hard to defend today given how spaced the floor is, now on top of that offensive players can jump sideways into defenders who are in legal guarding position and earn a whistle. Flagrant fouls are also a joke these days.

Not to mention the long-standing issues of ignoring constant traveling via dragging or changing a pivot foot, moving screens galore, carrying, etc. Obviously offense drives ratings, especially for casual fans, but the league has gone too far.

I loved the skilled nature of today's game but like many others I want the officiating to come back towards center.

Reaction Score
It’s just old heads that want 84-80 ugly, overly physical games. The idea that the NBA is unwatchable is so ridiculous. These players absolutely wipe the floor, skill wise, to any past generation.
Nobody is allowed to have a difference of opinion…if they do we should look down upon them.

I still enjoy the NBA, but can understand why some may prefer the college game. Individual player skill level isn’t the only reason why people watch sports…

For whatever reason there is a holier than thou attitude that some modern NBA fans have, and they tend to take it very personally if others don’t also like the modern game.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

These people should watch an 80's regular season game on youtube or NBATV if they want to see what it was really like rather than the nostalgia. Dominique Wilkins would literally walk back up the court on defense if he didn't get the ball on offense when he was calling for it. The Doug Moe/Kiki Vandeweghe/Dan Issel/Alex English Nuggets were one of the best teams in the West in the 80's and literally (using that term correctly) played no defense that I could identify. Bernard King was fun to watch, but he also played no defense at all.

Also, while I couldn't see it then, rewatching some of these games, I can tell that a lot of the players in the early and mid 80's were high on the court.

I will disagree with you on one thing. A lot of the stars from the 80's like Wilkins, Bird, Worthy, Erving, McHale, Vandeweghe, Olajuwon, Robinson, Moncrief, and others would still be great players today. Magic was so unique that I am sure he would still be a great player today, but I am not sure he would be as dominant. The problem with the NBA back then was the depth, especially with the late 80's expansion of the NBA. The talent pool was not expanding fast enough to catch up with the expansion of the NBA, and I think that is a big reason why Jordan won 6 titles in the 90's.

Reaction Score
Nobody is allowed to have a difference of opinion…if they do we should look down upon them.

I still enjoy the NBA, but can understand why some may prefer the college game. Individual player skill level isn’t the only reason why people watch sports…

For whatever reason there is a holier than thou attitude that some modern NBA fans have, and they tend to take it very personally if others don’t also like the modern game.
Yes but unwatchable is ridiculous and it’s so obvious to what people mean by that. Would you really rather watch a guy like Russell shoot 42% from the field as a center? Or bash ball like the 80’s and 90’s were played?

And skill level should account for a huge chunk of watchability. The ball movement, shooting, finishing and isolation play is miles ahead of the past.

Reaction Score
These people should watch an 80's regular season game on youtube or NBATV if they want to see what it was really like rather than the nostalgia. Dominique Wilkins would literally walk back up the court on defense if he didn't get the ball on offense when he was calling for it. The Doug Moe/Kiki Vandeweghe/Dan Issel/Alex English Nuggets were one of the best teams in the West in the 80's and literally (using that term correctly) played no defense that I could identify. Bernard King was fun to watch, but he also played no defense at all.

Also, while I couldn't see it then, rewatching some of these games, I can tell that a lot of the players in the early and mid 80's were high on the court.

I will disagree with you on one thing. A lot of the stars from the 80's like Wilkins, Bird, Worthy, Erving, McHale, Vandeweghe, Olajuwon, Robinson, Moncrief, and others would still be great players today. Magic was so unique that I am sure he would still be a great player today, but I am not sure he would be as dominant. The problem with the NBA back then was the depth, especially with the late 80's expansion of the NBA. The talent pool was not expanding fast enough to catch up with the expansion of the NBA, and I think that is a big reason why Jordan won 6 titles in the 90's.
I agree they would be great. What I meant to say I guess was mid level players today would be stars back then. The athleticism, creativity and speed by the average NBA player today is incredible.

Reaction Score

Are you kidding? The holier than thou attitude comes from the other direction. This was intended to be for people to talk about the playoffs, not for the same guy who made the worst post in the history of this board calling for Hurley to be fired during the Iona game to brag about how much he hates the NBA. But if it was going to be anyone it’s pretty obvious it was going to be him.

It’s literally impossible on this board to have an NBA thread for people who like the NBA without this happening, and you blame the people who actually want to talk about the games.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I agree they would be great. What I meant to say I guess was mid level players today would be stars back then. The athleticism, creativity and speed by the average NBA player today is incredible.

The average coaching through high school is light years ahead of where it was in the 70's and 80's, which results in a better college product, and pushes the stars to be even better rather than just rely on athleticism. All of that, plus an influx of Europeans, results in a really good NBA today.

I also think getting rid of the Illegal Defense rules made the NBA so much more fun to watch. Those rules were so stupid.

Reaction Score
The "NBA sucks" crowd has always sucked but they don't wipe the floor skillwise with any other generation, there's just an emphasis on different things now. Sure, I would imagine when Russell played and some players had second jobs it was a whole different deal but since I've been watching it's just a very different style of play with a different emphasis on things.

If allowed the freedom of movement and green light to jack it up from anywhere on the court in the past you would see the same results. Players play to how the game is tailored and teams design the way they play around what other teams are doing, it's a copycat league. The guys like Edey, Cockburn, and Sanogo are largely phased out of today's game in favor of the guys like Brandon Ingram and Chet Holmgren.

Reaction Score
The "NBA sucks" crowd has always sucked but they don't wipe the floor skillwise with any other generation, there's just an emphasis on different things now. Sure, I would imagine when Russell played and some players had second jobs it was a whole different deal but since I've been watching it's just a very different style of play with a different emphasis on things.

If allowed the freedom of movement and green light to jack it up from anywhere on the court in the past you would see the same results. Players play to how the game is tailored and teams design the way they play around what other teams are doing, it's a copycat league. The guys like Edey, Cockburn, and Sanogo are largely phased out of today's game in favor of the guys like Brandon Ingram and Chet Holmgren.
I disagree. The shooting is better, the quickness and quick-twitch ability is higher, ballhandling is miles better. Players are way more versatile too because they have to be. There are obviously outliers from previous eras, but it’s so much more deep and refined now, in my opinion.

Reaction Score
I disagree. The shooting is better, the quickness and quick-twitch ability is higher, ballhandling is miles better. Players are way more versatile too because they have to be. There are obviously outliers from previous eras, but it’s so much more deep and refined now, in my opinion.
The shooting is better because that's the focus, big men have a tough time making it today if they don't really stretch the floor. There's always been great shooters but the three pointer was hardly a focus in the league. The league was way more about post play and attacking the rim, way more people were dunking on each other in the 90's. Finishing through contact is a skill it's just not really much a part of the game anymore.

I don't believe guys are quicker, stronger, jump higher now. It's just a very different style of play.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I don’t think the talent is much different from the 2000s era to now outside of guys just shooting the ball more. 80s and 90s though? Yeah probably.

Wings wasn’t a really deep position until after Jordan. Only difference in todays game is stretch 4s and guys having the green light to shoot more, but would guys like Webber, KG, Sheed, etc not adjust to todays game to be one of the best 4s in the league? Hell Dirk would fit PERFECTLY in today’s game.

IMO there’s no touching the perimeter players and Power Forwards from the early 2000s still.

Reaction Score

Brandon Ingram is a 6'8" wing who's game is actually modeled(not saying he's as good) off the MJ/prototype, not sure why he's being referenced here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom