NBA Free Agency | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NBA Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm sure most people will disagree, but this deal for the Knicks with Noah is awful. 4 years is gonna come back to bite them
general consensus is mostly that 4 years is too many at that number with all the mileage on him and reports that his right knee is a bone-on-bone condition after he had cartilage removed from his knee a couple of years ago.

Reaction Score
For those who have seen more Bulls than me, how good is Noah still? I know he was a beast a couple years ago, but his offensive numbers have nosedived in a bad way. Is he anymore than a Bogut type player at this stage?

Reaction Score
Dirk took paycuts for guys like Chandler Parsons to get paid out the ass and be injured for the playoffs and then head out the door in a couple of years, amazing that Parsons can get a max deal from the Grizzlies with all of his knee issues the past couple of years. Marc Cuban at least needs to take care of Dirk if that team is gonna be in the tank, he left a lot of money on the table to be a first round exit.
Dirk is the most selfless superstar athlete. So glad he got his championship but it's kind of a disgrace how Cuban gutted the team after the win and never went out and secured any major free agents for Dirk to play with.

Reaction Score
For those who have seen more Bulls than me, how good is Noah still? I know he was a beast a couple years ago, but his offensive numbers have nosedived in a bad way. Is he anymore than a Bogut type player at this stage?
As a Bulls fan I love Noah, but I'm glad we didn't sign him to that contract. Everything will depend on his health. He's been injured all the time the last few years, so if that continues it will be a bad deal. Thibs really grinds players down, so maybe he'll improve health wise getting a couple years removed from that. If he's healthy it's a good deal relative to the other contracts we're seeing.

Reaction Score
He's pretty much done IMO. Bulls were stacked with big men and Noah was dealing with injuries so he didn't play all that much. Knicks will offer him a huge opportunity to get his game going again but it really seems like

Reaction Score
Can't finish around the basket at all anymore, so in that regards he's alot like Bogut but I expect Noah to contribute more on the boards and not be the liability that Bogut is at the line.

Reaction Score
As a Bulls fan I love Noah, but I'm glad we didn't sign him to that contract. Everything will depend on his health. He's been injured all the time the last few years, so if that continues it will be a bad deal. Thibs really grinds players down, so maybe he'll improve health wise getting a couple years removed from that. If he's healthy it's a good deal relative to the other contracts we're seeing.
This is basically my hope for Noah and Rose. I'm hoping their non-stop injuries were a result of playing for Thibs and not that their knees are shot. Which has like a 1% chance of being true

Reaction Score
Courtney Lee signs a 4 year deal with the Knicks, Horford 4 years 113 mil with the Celtics

Reaction Score
As a C's fan, I'm happy with the Horford signing. It's unlikely they get Durant, but Horford immediately improves them. If the young guys keep developing they have a shot at the 2 or 3 seed next year...with the Nets pick coming to them.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
This is the biggest FA signing in Celts history. That may not be saying much, but still, this kills the narrative that big-name FAs won't sign with Boston. He turned down more money from a good team because he sees potential with the Celts and wants to play for a passionate fan base.

I hope this soon becomes the second biggest FA signing in club history...

Reaction Score
Dirk is the most selfless superstar athlete. So glad he got his championship but it's kind of a disgrace how Cuban gutted the team after the win and never went out and secured any major free agents for Dirk to play with.

Tyson Chandler, DeShawn Stevenson, J. J. Barea and Caron Butler were the guys who left after the title. Good players, but none has made an impact on the league since (and they later re-acquired Chandler). They signed 6-man of the year Odom and Vince Carter. Defensive downgrade, offensive upgrade. Next season Kidd and Terry left in FA, but both were at the end of their careers. Kidd was a coach within 2 years. The team was on the end of the age curve, and the rest of the top of the West has been insane with the Spurs, Thunder, and Warriors. Cuban's tried to get every major FA, but you can't force people to sign in Dallas. Just ask Deandre Jordan. He's had to settle for Monta, Chandler, etc.

Reaction Score
Tyson Chandler, DeShawn Stevenson, J. J. Barea and Caron Butler were the guys who left after the title. Good players, but none has made an impact on the league since (and they later re-acquired Chandler). They signed 6-man of the year Odom and Vince Carter. Defensive downgrade, offensive upgrade. Next season Kidd and Terry left in FA, but both were at the end of their careers. Kidd was a coach within 2 years. The team was on the end of the age curve, and the rest of the top of the West has been insane with the Spurs, Thunder, and Warriors. Cuban's tried to get every major FA, but you can't force people to sign in Dallas. Just ask Deandre Jordan. He's had to settle for Monta, Chandler, etc.

Chandler shouldn't be lumped in with the other three. He was the second best player on the 2011 Mavs, a guy who transformed their defense and fit perfectly with what they were trying to do on offense. Taking him off the 2011 Mavs was like taking Draymond off the Warriors (Chandler wasn't as good as Draymond, but in terms of importance, it's an apt comparison). Letting him walk was waving the white flag on a title defense (not that I think they would have repeated with him, but obviously they would have been more of a factor than they were).

Odom was a mess in Dallas in every way. It wasn't necessarily a bad idea to acquire him, it just didn't work. None of this is entirely their fault, but I can certainly see why Dirk would be a little bitter that he took the cuts that he did to spend his final great years playing on fringe playoff teams.

Reaction Score
Shabazz is likely done in the NBA, he should do great in a forgien league where you don't need size/athleticism to make the rotation. I've read some NBA fans say he's literally the worst player currently in the league, which is likely overstated, but not a good look.
Kevin Ollie must be the greatest coach in college basketball history.
His best player is the worst player in the NBA
That's coaching !!!!

Reaction Score
Letting Chandler go was a huge mistake. The team that won it was old and it took one of the greatest playoff performances ever from Dirk to will them to a title. Instead of improving upon an old team that couldn't rest on it's laurels, Cuban let them get worse. He has struck out on every free agent class since.

Reaction Score
Hornets seem to be letting everyone walk. Big AL, Courtney Lee and Lin are all gone. Feel badly for Kemba.

Reaction Score
Hornets seem to be letting everyone walk. Big AL, Courtney Lee and Lin are all gone. Feel badly for Kemba.

Batum was the guy they really had to have back. Lee is a loss, Lin is a small one. Jefferson is negligible, IMO.

Reaction Score
They resigned Batum and Williams, have MKG coming back and have Zeller, Frank and Hawes in front court too.

Lin for $12m is crazy, ensuring the Nets will be at the bottom of the league next year giving the C's another high lottery pick.

Reaction Score
Hornets spent $120 mil on Batum and let three big pieces of their team walk, bad offseason for them. Hope they can get more pieces because on paper that team got worse, resigning Williams at that price was pretty decent considering what everyone else is getting paid though. If Zeller, Hawes and Kasminsky excite you, I don't know what to tell you.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
$50MM for Tyler Johnson...friggin' Nets. We pry Sean Marks from one of the most successful front offices in the entire league and he's making me wish Billy King were still around. Unbelievable.

Reaction Score
Hornets spent $120 mil on Batum and let three big pieces of their team walk, bad offseason for them. Hope they can get more pieces because on paper that team got worse, resigning Williams at that price was pretty decent considering what everyone else is getting paid though. If Zeller, Hawes and Kasminsky excite you, I don't know what to tell you.

The only thing I disliked was the draft trade for Marco, which was laughable. Jefferson is on the decline, poor on D and does not fit the new look NBA. He is a fine value on his contact but is a backup center nowadays. They locked down their 2 priorities.

$50MM for Tyler Johnson...friggin' Nets. We pry Sean Marks from one of the most successful front offices in the entire league and he's making me wish Billy King were still around. Unbelievable.

And a lot of people on NBA twitter think this is a solid move. The difference between a top D League player and a 50 mil. a year player is disturbingly low.

Reaction Score
And a lot of people on NBA twitter think this is a solid move. The difference between a top D League player and a 50 mil. a year player is disturbingly low.
Johnson's a steal. He's a great finisher at the rim (62.5%; Westbrook, for example, is a tick under 60%) and a great shooter (39% from 3, including 54.5% on corner 3s), while also being an above average defender. He doesn't create much off the dribble -- he's not a top tier SG -- but you don't have to be James Harden with the ball in order to be valuable at that spot.

The only question I have about Johnson is "Can he continue to be an efficient scorer as his minutes & usage rates pick up?" He'll be expected to do waaaaay more for Brooklyn than he was for Miami, and face many more gameplans designed specifically to stop him.

Reaction Score
MKG was their best player in the 2014-2015 season, getting him back helps offsets the overall impact of losing Lee. Losing Lin hurts but it was clear that they were moving on from Big Al based on their playing style during the season, I don't really see him as a big loss at all, they played fine without him last season.

Reaction Score
I like what they're doing at the wing with MKG, Williams, and Batum. Don't know how often they'll all share the floor, but if they can stay above water offensively with that group it gives them some major flexibility on the other end.

Reaction Score
I like the Hornets defensively and what they can do with versatility at the wing but where are the points going to come from? No matter how you feel about Lin and Jefferson, they both can put the ball through the hoop.

caw

Reaction Score
I like the Hornets defensively and what they can do with versatility at the wing but where are the points going to come from? No matter how you feel about Lin and Jefferson, they both can put the ball through the hoop.

Not to mention Lee, who played well for them last year on both ends after he was traded there. They need MKG to come back healthy with an improved jumper and Bellinelli or Lamb to provide some solid play from the two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom