NBA Finals Thread - Celtics vs Mavericks | Page 19 | The Boneyard

NBA Finals Thread - Celtics vs Mavericks

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It’s not hate, it’s just what it is. Porzingis is great and has a huge impact, but he is their 3rd/4th/5th best player (He White and Jrue are so close imo).

The teams they played were missing the outright best player. Again, wouldn’t have changed much, but it isn’t a fair comparison.
White is perhaps the most important player for the C's on the floor but he doesn't receive the attention. The guy has the complete arsenal - he is multi-faceted in his offensive game and plays unreal D. He is extremely cerebral on the court, and you can see he is a coach's son. He is an ALL NBA caliber player but plays with 2 or 3 others (JT, JB and KP).

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yes. Many people paid to be NBA experts on television picked the Mavs to win this series. I saw a hilarious list yesterday but I've got a 1:30 so I'm not going to dig it out now.

I thought I was jumping on the bandwagon when I predicted Celtics in 5 with a decent shot to sweep. I guess not.

Reaction Score
I have a conundrum tomorrow night. Someone gave me a free ticket for game 5, if it's played. So I have to root for the Mavs to win game 4. Even though it's a low probability that the Mavs win 4 straight, you never want to let the other team win and let them back in the series. But there probably won't be many, if any, times in my life I'll be at a game that clinches the NBA Finals. So "Go Mavs" tomorrow.

I actually was at game 6 two years ago when the Warriors clinched the NBA Finals in Boston. I didn't even stay for the trophy presentation then because I figured who wants to see that on your home court.
I rooted against the Yankees in the 1981 World Series for that reason. I was a kid. My dad got tickets for Game 6 from his company. 5 rows back of the visiting dugout. I was so excited. The Yankees won games 1 and 2. I needed them to lose 2 games and they obliged... by not winning again. I got to see game 6, but it was all Dodgers.

Re this NBA series, I hate just about everything Boston, but I don't hate this Celtics team. My dislike for Kyrie in particular has me inwardly pulling for the Celtics while externally saying I don't care either way. Go Celtics!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
White is perhaps the most important player for the C's on the floor but he doesn't receive the attention. The guy has the complete arsenal - he is multi-faceted in his offensive game and plays unreal D. He is extremely cerebral on the court, and you can see he is a coach's son. He is an ALL NBA caliber player but plays with 2 or 3 others (JT, JB and KP).
I'll say this, he makes the best decisions late in close games. He's not going to do anything stupid in those situations. I think he's more super roll player than star, but he's as good in that Swiss army knife roll as anybody. Doesn't get flustered, always calm.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I'll say this, he makes the best decisions late in close games. He's not going to do anything stupid in those situations. I think he's more super roll player than star, but he's as good in that Swiss army knife roll as anybody. Doesn't get flustered, always calm.

If somebody’s gotta take a 30-footer to beat the shot clock, I want it to be him. So clutch.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Two reports on local TV

Porzingis is available tonight.

Luka has scored a combined 8 points in the three 4th quarters.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Didn’t see the Celtics getting blown out, gotta say

Keystone Kops

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Two reports on local TV

Porzingis is available tonight.

Luka has scored a combined 8 points in the three 4th quarters.

1. Just kidding!
2. Looks like he’ll probably score 0 tonight

Reaction Score
Celts will wrap it up Sunday, it would be such a Celtics thing to do though to have it go to a game 6 and then win game 6 in Dallas.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Mavs with a worthless game 4 win. There’s no way the Celtics don’t close it out in Boston in game 5. Nobody has ever came back down 0-3.

Reaction Score
Absolutely pathetic effort and intensity by the C's. Not what you want to see in a closeout game. Confidence may have shifted. I wouldnt mind a competitive loss, but a blowout loss from the mid Q1 is worrisome.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It is hard to sweep, and while the Mavs are not great, they don't suck either. There is about one swept NBA Finals a decade. It wasn't going to be the Celtics without Porzingis doing it.

Reaction Score
Absolutely pathetic effort and intensity by the C's. Not what you want to see in a closeout game. Confidence may have shifted. I wouldnt mind a competitive loss, but a blowout loss from the mid Q1 is worrisome.
The Celtics will be fine, they'll win this series in however many games they want to. Whenever they decide to stop messing around with the Mavs the series will be over

Reaction Score
The Celtics will be fine, they'll win this series in however many games they want to. Whenever they decide to stop messing around with the Mavs the series will be over
Everyone assumes they're just messing around, but the reality is that, despite the gaudy record, they haven't been the same dominant team in the last three rounds that they were for most of the regular season. Minus Porzingis, they're not much better than the Mavs.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Everyone assumes they're just messing around, but the reality is that, despite the gaudy record, they haven't been the same dominant team in the last three rounds that they were for most of the regular season. Minus Porzingis, they're not much better than the Mavs.
My concern is really that the shooting continued to be bad while Dallas got incredibly hot. Don‘t ever give the team that is down confidence that they can win. Now Dallas knows it’s possible. Boston better be great on Sunday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom