NBA Finals Thread - Celtics vs Mavericks | Page 17 | The Boneyard

NBA Finals Thread - Celtics vs Mavericks

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Tatum is shooting 36% against an outmatched team that is mediocre defensively, at best. He is one of the least clutch superstars in the NBA.

As for the Mavericks, upsets are fun until a team that kind of sucks gets to the championship.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Luka is the biggest crybaby in today's NBA. His 5th and 6th fouls were fouls. I smart man doesn't risk getting disqualified on a 50/50 call at best. Butt Luka went Luka, fell on the floor and cried

Cryrie is pathetic. I was laughing when we were being told the Mavs had the two best closers in basketball.

The Mavs need to make several roster enhancements to compete with the C's

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Luka is the biggest crybaby in today's NBA. His 5th and 6th fouls were fouls. I smart man doesn't risk getting disqualified on a 50/50 call at best. Butt Luka went Luka, fell on the floor and cried

Cryrie is pathetic. I was laughing when we were being told the Mavs had the two best closers in basketball.

The Mavs need to make several roster enhancements to compete with the C's

I have never liked Kyrie and Luka is out of shape and kind of a ball hog. The Mavericks are probably the 4th or 5th best team in the West. This entire playoff is a good case for cutting back the number of regular season games to keep the starters fresh for the playoffs.

Reaction Score
The Celtics are on track to have the greatest defensive postseason of all-time:
  • The Mavs have yet to score 100 points in this finals series, after averaging 118 during the regular season.
  • They have held teams to 15 points less than their regular season average in 11 of their 17 games so far.
  • They have held teams to, on average, 15 points below their regular season scoring average throughout the playoffs so far.
Before this year, the most a team has held their opponents below their scoring averages in a playoffs run was 12.4 points — by Russell’s Celtics in 1964. Unless this team manages to give up 150 in the next couple games, they are poised to shatter that record.

Reaction Score
Luka is getting on par with Embiid as completely unwatchable players

Insanely talented, can dominate any game at any time they decide to, but they spend 75% of their time throwing themselves to the floor and crying to the refs about it

Watching these two teams is night and day. Celtics have 4 playmakers on the floor at any time and share the ball really well. Mavs take turns playing iso between two players. Fun when it works painful when it doesn’t. Looking like it’ll be a sweep, Cs in 5 at most

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He’s an awesome offensive player but I’d love to see what he’d look like if he took this seriously. He’s a fat traffic cone on one side of the court and he spends half the game begging for calls.
Absolutely, and against most teams there's someone they can hide him against and let him play free safety, which he's good at. He's being exposed a bit against a team that always has five scorers. He's also the biggest whiner and flopper I've seen (and yes, JT is also a whiner but not flopper).

That foul @CardiacAndre7 mentioned? Replays showed he wasn't even touched, he essentially dove out of bounds and threw up his arms hoping for a call. The Brown block/charge was close, but correctly called. Meanwhile Tatum got fouled repeatedly and couldn't get a call.

Reaction Score
and yes, JT is also a whiner but not flopper
To his credit, he's largely toned down the whining this post-season.

On the one hand, it's easy to tone it down when you are winning, on the other hand, Dallas' strategy is to double and be physical with him. It's a strategy designed to make him frustrated. It has largely worked: though he hasn't whined all that much, he has missed even the open shots he's gotten. But he's trusted his teammates more than he has in the past, so it's not going to matter in the end.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
To his credit, he's largely toned down the whining this post-season.

On the one hand, it's easy to tone it down when you are winning, on the other hand, Dallas' strategy is to double and be physical with him. It's a strategy designed to make him frustrated. It has largely worked: though he hasn't whined all that much, he has missed even the open shots he's gotten. But he's trusted his teammates more than he has in the past, so it's not going to matter in the end.
He was whining against Miami, and I think Joe may have talked to him. Just as we saw in the NCAA tournament, the NBA is just letting them play for the most part. He's complained a lot less since that series.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
The refs literally reviewed the call and it was a block. I like how your take is just "the refs don't know how to interpret the rules as well as me even when watching multiple slow motion replays" lol.

I thought Luka got fouled a few times and there was some questionable stuff, but not that one. That was a block and it was dumb of him with 5 fouls. He was playing frustrated all game after the first.

He’s gotta grow in some areas. He’s probably never gonna be Kawhi, and he’s good defensively with his hands, but he needs to be better staying in front. Thats not debatable.

I saw a clip from him in the bubble, he’s quick and agile…he’s gotta shave 20 pounds and get healthy again.

I’m the biggest Luka fan, but he’s got to be better there.

Reaction Score
Absolutely, and against most teams there's someone they can hide him against and let him play free safety, which he's good at. He's being exposed a bit against a team that always has five scorers. He's also the biggest whiner and flopper I've seen (and yes, JT is also a whiner but not flopper).

That foul @CardiacAndre7 mentioned? Replays showed he wasn't even touched, he essentially dove out of bounds and threw up his arms hoping for a call. The Brown block/charge was close, but correctly called. Meanwhile Tatum got fouled repeatedly and couldn't get a call.
Tatum obviously fouled him on that. I’m fine with you disagreeing on some others, but if you can’t see that one it’s hard to discuss. Everyone commentating agreed he was fouled there.

Reaction Score
The Celtics are on track to have the greatest defensive postseason of all-time:
  • The Mavs have yet to score 100 points in this finals series, after averaging 118 during the regular season.
  • They have held teams to 15 points less than their regular season average in 11 of their 17 games so far.
  • They have held teams to, on average, 15 points below their regular season scoring average throughout the playoffs so far.
Before this year, the most a team has held their opponents below their scoring averages in a playoffs run was 12.4 points — by Russell’s Celtics in 1964. Unless this team manages to give up 150 in the next couple games, they are poised to shatter that record.
Injuries to the opponents best players helped a bit.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Simple - the Mavs are a two man team and only a two man team. Their other players are not NBA caliber starters. The Celtics are extremely deep and every player they bring in contributes positively 90% of the time.
The Cs remind me of the 2023-24 UConn team.

Reaction Score
It’s funny how the narrative went from “the Celtics aren’t going to be ready for the step up in competition” to “well Dallas is banged up so what do you expect?”

Meanwhile the Celtics are going to win 80 games this year.
I don’t think that’s the narrative. The narrative is definitely more focused on Luka’s awful defense. Celtics have way more options and Mavs role players besides Lively have been awful.

The Celtics certainly have gotten lucky with opponent injuries up to this point, there is no denying that. But they’d be in the same spot regardless, maybe would have played ~3 more games.

Reaction Score
You sound like those guys last year saying UConn never played anyone. They were the best by far. Same with the C's. The undisputed class of the league.
It's about the specific stat of "holding opponent to less than regular season scoring average", which specifically cares about the opponent. So when Jimmy Butler, Donovan Mitchell, and Tyrese Haliburton all miss multiple games or the whole series, the best offensive player for each team, that matters.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's about the specific stat of "holding opponent to less than regular season scoring average", which specifically cares about the opponent. So when Jimmy Butler, Donovan Mitchell, and Tyrese Haliburton all miss multiple games or the whole series, the best offensive player for each team, that matters.
Not really. You can only beat who's in front of you and the C's are steamrolling the field. And they're doing in with a star of their own on the shelf. Look how much better they are when he plays. Haters gotta hate.

Reaction Score
It’s funny how the narrative went from “the Celtics aren’t going to be ready for the step up in competition” to “well Dallas is banged up so what do you expect?”

This narrative and the ones about Brown winning MVP over Tatum are so inconsequential in the long run.

For example nobody is going to care that KD won Finals MVP over Curry, and nobody is talking about the Warriors’ paths to the finals from their championship years.

Luckily it seems like Tatum, Brown, & company know that and have stayed unselfish.

Reaction Score
Not really. You can only beat who's in front of you and the C's are steamrolling the field. And they're doing in with a star of their own on the shelf. Look how much better they are when he plays. Haters gotta hate.
It’s not hate, it’s just what it is. Porzingis is great and has a huge impact, but he is their 3rd/4th/5th best player (He White and Jrue are so close imo).

The teams they played were missing the outright best player. Again, wouldn’t have changed much, but it isn’t a fair comparison.

Reaction Score
I'm a Celtics fan. What you said has no bearing on the statistical record in question.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

It's similar to the knocks on UConn's titles: "UConn killed everybody, which means college basketball teams suck, which means UConn's titles aren't that impressive."

Yes, every team has injuries. (See Porzingis, Kristaps.) But we're now beating a team that whooped on the team that took the defending champion's (and MVP's) lunch money. Half the world picked the Mavs. The Celtics were facing "the greatest offensive back court in NBA history." But now that the Celtics are up 3-0, it's only because Luka's banged up?

All you can do is just blow by everybody, ignore the chirping, and enjoy the title. (One win away.)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom