NBA Finals Thread - Celtics vs Mavericks | Page 7 | The Boneyard

NBA Finals Thread - Celtics vs Mavericks

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
You're taking a few games and saying that is the norm. Need to look at the entire season. White and Holliday were both on the NBA All Defensive 2nd team this season (2023-24 NBA Awards: Full list of winners | NBA.com). They're both very good defenders and I think having Porzingis behind them makes a huge difference. I won't go out and say the Celtics will completely stop Irving, but I think they'll do enough to win the series.
My response to here would be more of the same showing the results of the postseason. So we’ll agree to disagree on how good of a defender those guys are but I’m looking forward to an exciting series!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Nembhard averaged 21 PPG on 54% shooting for the series. He almost shot 47% from 3 too. It wasn’t just one game.

The point is those guys haven’t shown they can stop any guard. Let alone a guard the caliber of Kyrie. Guys have very efficient big scoring nights against that group despite them being one of the very few options on their teams.
They've already shown they can stop Kyrie, because they have played Dallas. Last game 9-23 for 19 points. 9-20 for 23 the game before that. Nobody is holding him much below that, that's about the best you could hope for.

Let's not pretend that Nembhard did anything but ramp up his volume massively when Halliburton went down (he had 12 and 16 the first two games) and make a ton of very deep or well defended 3s. Credit to him for stepping up. He was absolutely unconscious in game 3.

Reaction Score
Jokic had a great season, but a 34 point triple double leading the league in scoring is an insane year that we’ve never seen.

If it’s about wins then it probably should’ve went to SGA.
Is a triple double now with 9s?

Jokic had more Triple Doubles.

He had a higher PER, higher Offensive Rating, higher Box +/-, more Win Shares.

There really isn't a metric by which Jokić wasn't the better player other than PPG.

SGA had one more win than Jokić, but was far behind him in advanced stats.

Luka was #2 this year. A strong #2, but Jokić deserved his MVP.

Reaction Score
My eye test says the Mavs play better defense. Edward's was horrible against the Mavs and Kyrie was responsible for that. Luka picks his spots but he gets rebounds and steals. Brown and Tatum are both lousy shooters and that will be their downfall.
Wow.

Celtics had best office rating in nba history this season.

Celtics had No. 2 rates defense.

lb
My response to here would be more of the same showing the results of the postseason. So we’ll agree to disagree on how good of a defender those guys are but I’m looking forward to an exciting series!
white is elite all around defender. Holiday terrific on ball. He picks his spot with pressure and is still, probably, the best on ball perimeter defender in the nba.

Brown and Tatum are also above average defenders for their position and can really defend. Porzingis makes the D elite as a shot blocker.

Horford used to be terrific, but can be exploited at times in PnR because he is 38: rather time undefeated.

Think about this. All those times that horford was in PnR…he won’t be out there. It will be 7-3 Porzingis in drop. And not Al on a switch.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

There really isn't a metric by which Jokić wasn't the better player other than PPG.

Jokic mvp. Isn’t just metrics, he also is worth so many more wins. Denver can’t play without him.

Luka the same with Dallas. But Luka is a poor defender, and he never gets criticized for it. He is going to have to guard someone on the Celtics. There is no hiding from
A Scorer in Boston.

Reaction Score
Jokic mvp. Isn’t just metrics, he also is worth so many more wins. Denver can’t play without him.

Luka the same with Dallas. But Luka is a poor defender, and he never gets criticized for it. He is going to have to guard someone on the Celtics. There is no hiding from
A Scorer in Boston.
Luka gets criticized a lot for his defense, but he’s been not AWFUL in the post season. Jokic is a poor defender as well. He gets targeted a lot. His rebounding sways his defensive numbers a lot.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

I’d understand if it was close in PPG, but it was an 8 point difference. His amount of PPG has only been done by 2 other players this century (Kobe and Harden x2) and they weren’t flirting with triple doubles while doing it. The distance between him and Jokic was the same as Jokic and Collin Sexton.

It’s an all time season we’ve never seen before. I honestly don’t care to look at advanced stats when it comes to MVP voting. SGA had that very young Thunder team way ahead of schedule and it was super impressive for him to carry them to that one seed.

Either reward the legendary season or reward the best player on the best team that had no business being that.
How did he do the last time he was in the playoffs against the Celtics?
Marcus Smart was there who’s actually a legit great defender. You hardly ever saw him get cooked like we consistently see with these new guards.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Wow.

Celtics had best office rating in nba history this season.

Celtics had No. 2 rates defense.

lb

white is elite all around defender. Holiday terrific on ball. He picks his spot with pressure and is still, probably, the best on ball perimeter defender in the nba.

Brown and Tatum are also above average defenders for their position and can really defend. Porzingis makes the D elite as a shot blocker.

Horford used to be terrific, but can be exploited at times in PnR because he is 38: rather time undefeated.

Think about this. All those times that horford was in PnR…he won’t be out there. It will be 7-3 Porzingis in drop. And not Al on a switch.
Dort, McDaniels, and Suggs are all better perimeter defenders than Holiday and their performances this playoffs show that against high level players.

Porzingis will be the same caliber defender as Rudy Gobert against the Mavs if not lesser.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Dort, McDaniels, and Suggs are all better perimeter defenders than Holiday and their performances this playoffs show that against high level players.

Porzingis will be the same caliber defender as Rudy Gobert against the Mavs if not lesser.
Idk why all the laughing reactions.

Dort kept Brandon Ingram from even reaching 20 points all series then kept Luka under 30 for most of their series.

McDaniels put the Suns big 3 through h3ll and had Jamal Murray on the struggle bus.

Suggs held Mitchell to terrible FG% throughout that first round series.

While Holiday couldn’t keep Nembhard in check and Mitchell came alive against him? Something he didn’t do against Suggs the series prior.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Idk why all the laughing reactions.

Dort kept Brandon Ingram from even reaching 20 points all series then kept Luka under 30 for most of their series.

McDaniels put the Suns big 3 through h3ll and had Jamal Murray on the struggle bus.

Suggs held Mitchell to terrible FG% throughout that first round series.

While Holiday couldn’t keep Nembhard in check and Mitchell came alive against him? Something he didn’t do against Suggs the series prior.
Because you’re judging players based on one series without knowing anything about the defensive strategy the team had in that series. Indiana was the highest scoring team in the league, by a lot. Raw numbers are pretty irrelevant.

You could just listen to the players. "He's the best defender in the NBA and has been for a long time. ... I'll learn from it, and I'll be better in Game 2," Haliburton said after the game.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Because you’re judging players based on one series without knowing anything about the defensive strategy the team had in that series. Indiana was the highest scoring team in the league, by a lot. Raw numbers are pretty irrelevant.

You could just listen to the players. "He's the best defender in the NBA and has been for a long time. ... I'll learn from it, and I'll be better in Game 2," Haliburton said after the game.
I didn’t talk about one series. Tyrese had 25 and 10 that game (his first 20 point double double of the playoffs). I’m convinced guys just like Jrue as a person because the numbers don’t agree with that.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Oh, is there a game tonight?

Reaction Score
Mavs in 6. If Celtics had issues with Andrew Nembhard and TJ McConnell just wait for Kyrie and Luka.
The issues weren't so bad as to prevent the Celtics from sweeping the Pacers.

Reaction Score
You clearly didn’t watch.
I watched every minute of every game. The Celtics won every game. So if they don't win each game in a 25 point blowout then they really aren't that good?
Of course, if they do win all their games in a blowout, we don't know if they're all that good because they haven't "been tested." I'm so tired of people twisting themselves in knots to declare the Celtics really aren't that good.

Reaction Score
Screwed over the Cavs by winning them their only title. Requested a trade to the Celtics leaving Lebron oh that’s fine as long as he joins the Celtics as soon as he leaves as a FA oh he’s a selfish POS now, typical scorned ex victim mentality by Boston fans.

KD doesn’t go to Brooklyn if not for Kyrie, he screwed over the Nets who cares it’s the Nets. KD left too he was only there because of Kyrie.
Kyrie didn't win them that title. Everything he has won has been due to hanging on LeBron's coattails.

Reaction Score
Kyrie didn't win them that title. Everything he has won has been due to hanging on LeBron's coattails.
The cavs would not have won that title without Irving, period. I don’t even think that’s debatable, the shots he was making at the end of that series were unbelievable

Reaction Score
C's being disrespected! Most of the ESPN experts picking the Mavs. Music to my ears. Guarantees #18.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2eastusa

Top Bottom