National Team to play College teams this fall | The Boneyard

National Team to play College teams this fall

Reaction Score
I imagine they will probably play the top teams like UConn, Oregon, Baylor, SC, etc. Definitely interested to see how both sides play especially with Taurasi and Bird coming back from injuries and to see how the college teams look playing against Professionals.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I imagine they will probably play the top teams like UConn, Oregon, Baylor, SC, etc. Definitely interested to see how both sides play especially with Taurasi and Bird coming back from injuries and to see how the college teams look playing against Professionals.

as reported at the All Star game, basically an invention of Sue and Diana. :)

Reaction Score
This is a great idea. I am sure this will be an immense tool to help expand the WNBA footprint as well as women's, BB in general, in the USA.

Reaction Score
This would be awesome....last time this happened I believe was this 1996 game. Does anyone else recall UConn taking on Team USA in any other years? One would think UConn has to be on the schedule with a good chunk of former UConn legends on the team.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Not remembering UCONN vs National Team...

Do remember a Rumor that in 2000 during the Senior National vs Junior National Team scrimmage they subbed in All UCONN players in the 3rd quarter vs Senior National Team and Junior National Team was beating them badly...They needed to substitute out the UCONN players to stop the embarrassing run...

Heard they were Fast breaking the Senior team to death and never even taking a dribble...It was a clinic...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
UConn played the National Team in 2007. Freshman Maya Moore had 14 & 7 in her first game as a collegian :cool:

I remember that game well. UConn led early but eventually lost. I recall Geno, trying to motivate Tina Charles, suggesting to her publicly that Lisa Leslie was probably boasting about how she went in at halftime, changed her infant child's diaper, and still kicked Tina's whatever in the second half.

Reaction Score

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Forgot about this game!
Yeah. And if this USA team had played UConn the year before UConn (with Lobo) would have had a much better chance.

Reaction Score
Ionescu has a chance to make the national team and with that Oregon may not be as competitive without her.

Reaction Score
Ionescu has a chance to make the national team and with that Oregon may not be as competitive without her.

I’m not sure I would place her over guards like Gray, Diggins-Smith, and Loyd who have definitely waited their turn behind Taurasi, Bird and Moore. I think Napheesa has a much better chance to make it considering she went so far in the tryouts last year.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure I would place her over guards like Gray, Diggins-Smith, and Loyd who have definitely waited their turn behind Taurasi, Bird and Moore. I think Napheesa has a much better chance to make it considering she went so far in the tryouts last year.

Completely agree

Reaction Score
While you have to give DT and Bird big props for setting this up, I hope they decide to not push themselves via rep on this team. It's not like they have not done this before and that they are essential for the team to win. There are plenty of younger players who could adequately fill in their slots. I guess I just have a problem with people ( that includes all sorts of venues and positions ) who hang in as long as they can denying others a chance at doing what they have been blessed with for years. That goes for coaches like Strickland and Hatchel. I believe, if not for the scandal they would have had to carry our Hatchel on a stretcher before she retired. I don't see that as something laudable, rather just a display of entitled selfishness.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Have to presume UConn will be one of the College Teams that play the National Team. Will South Carolina with Dawn coaching the Sr. Team? I would like to see games against Oregon, Stanford, Baylor, ND, South Carolina, Lady Vols and UConn. Miss St might be a better choice then the Lady Vols, but I would like to see how the Lady Vols play with their new head coach. The Lady Vol game might have attendance close to 20K.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Have to presume UConn will be one of the College Teams that play the National Team. Will South Carolina with Dawn coaching the Sr. Team? I would like to see games against Oregon, Stanford, Baylor, ND, South Carolina, Lady Vols and UConn. Miss St might be a better choice then the Lady Vols, but I would like to see how the Lady Vols play with their new head coach. The Lady Vol game might have attendance close to 20K.

Sign me up for Ionescu / Bird. Gunning for a spot on the National team.

Reaction Score
Would definitely like to see them play UConn, Oregon, Stanford, and Baylor. I’m guessing they will play SC because Dawn is the coach.

Reaction Score
Would definitely like to see them play UConn, Oregon, Stanford, and Baylor. I’m guessing they will play SC because Dawn is the coach, but I would rather see them play Oregon State or Texas A&M for competition purposes.

Reaction Score

Lisa Boyer would probably be coaching SC when they play the national team.

Reaction Score
Would definitely like to see them play UConn, Oregon, Stanford, and Baylor. I’m guessing they will play SC because Dawn is the coach, but I would rather see them play Oregon State or Texas A&M for competition purposes.

Lol, not sure if this is a subtle way of saying SC won’t be as challenging as the other teams but you can definitely expect Dawn to have her team play them especially for learning purposes. In all honesty I don’t see how Oregon St or A&M playing them will be anymore challenging than SC. I don’t expect any college team to win so it really doesn’t matter who plays against them.

Reaction Score
Lol, not sure if this is a subtle way of saying SC won’t be as challenging as the other teams but you can definitely expect Dawn to have her team play them especially for learning purposes. In all honesty I don’t see how Oregon St or A&M playing them will be anymore challenging than SC. I don’t expect any college team to win so it really doesn’t matter who plays against them.
No, I definitely think SC make about an equally competitive opponent as Oregon State or Texas A&M.

I would like to see Oregon State play them because it would be funny to watch a college team bigger than the USA team.

And TAMU because I would like to see Chennedy Carter up against them.

Reaction Score
No, I definitely think SC make about an equally competitive opponent as Oregon State or Texas A&M.

I would like to see Oregon State play them because it would be funny to watch a college team bigger than the USA team.

Ah gotcha, sorry if I came off a bit snappy. I think all the top teams should play them. It’s a great learning experience for both sides.

Reaction Score
Ah gotcha, sorry if I came off a bit snappy. I think all the top teams should play them. It’s a great learning experience for both sides.
Not at all. As far as environment -- A’ja, back in SC, being coached by Dawn, playing SC, nothing will come close...it would be dumb not to have that!

Reaction Score
You have to understand how the world of hype works in women’s basketball. She is pretty well known in the media so that will contribute to her chances of making the team, being the number 1 pick in the draft, being an influencer once in the league that’s just the way it works imo. Take Stewie and Maya for example. Her talent only helps her chances even more. And her and Napheesa don’t play the same position so I wouldn’t say Napheesa made it over her. I wouldn’t take her over Chelsea Gray, but I’d take her over both Diggins and Loyd.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

Why? So her hogball will get schooled?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom