National Team to play College teams this fall | Page 2 | The Boneyard

National Team to play College teams this fall

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Tweet from Mechelle Voepel:

"The NCAA has agreed to grant waivers for its member institutions to play the U.S. women’s national team in exhibitions in 2019-2020."

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Pretty much:D I'd like to see what happens when she does it against the best of the best.
Actually I'd like to see that too. I might even pay the ESPN+ tag to see it. Nice call.

Reaction Score
I imagine they will probably play the top teams like UConn, Oregon, Baylor, SC, etc. Definitely interested to see how both sides play especially with Taurasi and Bird coming back from injuries and to see how the college teams look playing against Professionals.

Oregon players were told in late spring they would play the national team in the fall. The game has been scheduled but not announced yet.

Reaction Score
While you have to give DT and Bird big props for setting this up, I hope they decide to not push themselves via rep on this team. It's not like they have not done this before and that they are essential for the team to win. There are plenty of younger players who could adequately fill in their slots. I guess I just have a problem with people ( that includes all sorts of venues and positions ) who hang in as long as they can denying others a chance at doing what they have been blessed with for years. That goes for coaches like Strickland and Hatchel. I believe, if not for the scandal they would have had to carry our Hatchel on a stretcher before she retired. I don't see that as something laudable, rather just a display of entitled selfishness.
I don’t think there are any young guards in the same league as Sue & DT. And when they’re healthy they’ve still got it. Many WNBA players consider Sue to be the best point guard - now. And many players say they consider DT to be the hardest player to guard - now. I suspect both picked this WNBA season to have their surgeries so they will be fully recovered and ready to rock & roll next year.

Geno is still the best coach, but he’s probably past his prime. And, besides, he’s won more than his fair share. Maybe he should step aside and let some new blood have a chance...?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I don’t think there are any young guards in the same league as Sue & DT. And when they’re healthy they’ve still got it. Many WNBA players consider Sue to be the best point guard - now. And many players say they consider DT to be the hardest player to guard - now. I suspect both picked this WNBA season to have their surgeries so they will be fully recovered and ready to rock & roll next year.

Geno is still the best coach, but he’s probably past his prime. And, besides, he’s won more than his fair share. Maybe he should step aside and let some new blood have a chance...?
Geno isn't the coach, it is Dawn Staley. She was the coach for the Worlds and will be for the Olympics.

Reaction Score
Geno isn't the coach, it is Dawn Staley. She was the coach for the Worlds and will be for the Olympics.
I meant the analogous situation with Geno at UConn. "He's had his run - let someone else have their turn" seems like the same logic suggested with Sue and Diana and the Olympic team.

I don't think the 2 best guards in the world should relinquish their spots because they are 'old', and there are "plenty of younger players who could adequately fill in their slots." When there are young really, really, REALLY good players who deserve those spots, then they will take them.

Reaction Score
I meant the analogous situation with Geno at UConn. "He's had his run - let someone else have their turn" seems like the same logic suggested with Sue and Diana and the Olympic team.

I don't think the 2 best guards in the world should relinquish their spots because they are 'old', and there are "plenty of younger players who could adequately fill in their slots." When there are young really, really, REALLY good players who deserve those spots, then they will take them.
There is always the transition period when a player is judged on their rep and hype. That usually carries over way past when it actually is valid. They might still be the best two guards in the World in your eyes, but others might not agree.

If you really believe that other players will be judged fairly when they do surpass or even come close to their ability, then you delude yourself. Rep means a lot and will certainly carry a lot of weight. I think the honorable thing to do is to retire before that even becomes a factor. Otherwise, they will certainly retain their spots long after they no longer deserve them.

Reaction Score
There is always the transition period when a player is judged on their rep and hype. That usually carries over way past when it actually is valid. They might still be the best two guards in the World in your eyes, but others might not agree.

If you really believe that other players will be judged fairly when they do surpass or even come close to their ability, then you delude yourself. Rep means a lot and will certainly carry a lot of weight. I think the honorable thing to do is to retire before that even becomes a factor. Otherwise, they will certainly retain their spots long after they no longer deserve them.
I don’t think I’m deluded. That “Bird vs. Taurasi” playoff series last year was electric. It seemed to me like they were both playing at a really high level. Sue went on to lead her team to a championship. Who would you have subbed for her? Skylar Diggins??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom