National Signing Day Coverage | Page 3 | The Boneyard

National Signing Day Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
That really should be question 1 at the presser. How can we be short handed and not max our allotment out?

Reaction Score
We had a shortage of players this year and failed to fill the recruiting class.

30 players is a failure to fill the recruiting class? I don't see an issue pocketing a few scholarships (3 maybe) should something come up or to award the preferred walk-ons. If he gives a preferred walk-on a scholarship before their junior year? it counts toward this year doesn't it.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
I thought we might hear something about a JUCO QB transfer by now, but maybe promises were made to the guys already on board who the coaches feel confident in for the 2015 season. One thing we (I) didn't hear much about last season was how well Shirreffs performed on the practice squad and what the coaches think of his potential. I'm hoping he's ready to step up and step in this year. Or, maybe the phantom OC has some JUCO QB ties? Either way, I'm hoping a new OC is announced real soon.

Reaction Score
That really should be question 1 at the presser. How can we be short handed and not max our allotment out?
Max is 25...he signed 22. I'll take that....especially with the walk-on contingent that are coming. I'd rather save 3 this year to use next year and possibly get to 25 than just gee the full allotment.

Reaction Score
So there are scholarships available for preferred walk ons who prove themselves.

I'm having trouble understanding how people don't realize this that are writing around here. It seems quite obvious to me.

Reaction Score
How many are we short? Thought I saw somewhere that some existing walk-ons might get scholarships in one of articles few weeks ago. Maybe they also feel some of the preferred walk-ons have shot of earning scholarship by next year. In any event it is a question to be asked and it is really a neutral, not negative question, but seems like most of UCONN beat reporters just write what he says instead or ask softball questions. Question 1 will probably be "Coach, do you like your recruiting class"

Reaction Score
30 players is a failure to fill the recruiting class? I don't see an issue pocketing a few scholarships (3 maybe) should something come up or to award the preferred walk-ons. If he gives a preferred walk-on a scholarship before their junior year? it counts toward this year doesn't it.

There are enough schollies for a full class and to reward some of the walk-ons.

Reaction Score
Because we are going "full cost of attendance" we had to limit the amount of scholarship players we bring in, at least until we get a P5 offer.:(

Reaction Score
The extra scholarships are not relevant to this years walk-ons. They might get a scholly next year or the year after. I see no point in holding three open scholly's. Maybe one and that's before any attrition. Hopefully one or two prospects fall through the cracks. I'll just add that it's not terrible at this juncture but leaves us some options while I would have no issue with picking up a player or 2 late. I'd just rather have those guys around sooner getting acclimated to the the program.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There are enough schollies for a full class and to reward some of the walk-ons.

How do you figure? I don't get it, I really just want to understand.

Here's my reasoning:

We went into the spring according to Diaco with 60 scholarship athletes. (I'm not sure if Davis early signing is included in that 60 or not, but that's moot anyway.)

85 scholarships for fall. 85-60=25 (assuming 0% attrition from spring to fall)

22 of those 25 are accounted for as of today. That leaves 3 scholarships available as of right now for fall. Those 3 scholarships available, is a nice cushion to have. Late signees, awards for PWO players,etc. etc....nice motivational carrot to keep hanging.

Given the fact that players being awarded a PWO status, are actually players that have been studied, rated and recruited - we have 30 players that are joining the program that have been fit to a NLI recruiting cycle and hopefully match the profile of athlete that we want for Diaco's program.

(I honestly don't get the angst against the PWO status - all it means is that the 20 players on the 105 man roster that we go to bat with that aren't getting aid, are the same profile of players that the ones that are getting aid - meaning they were recruited over the same time periods with the same standards and they are expected to play and perform to the same standards - and the scholarships to award those that the coaches deem have earned are - there) How is this a bad thing?

I think having 20 players of the same kind of profile competing to fill 3 scholarships is a much better thing than finding 3 players to fill 3 scholarships with a profile, and then filling up the rest of the roster with tryout players. It's remarkable that Diaco has been able to create that kind of demand at the bottom of end of the roster so quickly. The guy can sell his program for sure.

He's got to win games in the fall, when the wins count though.

So seriously, if you don't mind trying to explain, I'd like to know what your reasoning is to why we failed to fill this class.

Reaction Score
It looks like UConn only has 11 players on the roster who are scheduled to use up their eligibility next year. Plus, you have to figure 3 to 5 spots may open up, so you are not looking at a big class next year, especially if you use some for PWOs at the end of the season. Thus, I think Diaco wants some flexibility for next year with a couple of extra scholarships.

Also, maybe they are leaving a spot for a JUCO or transfer QB.

Reaction Score
The extra scholarships are not relevant to this years walk-ons. They might get a scholly next year or the year after. I see no point in holding three open scholly's. Maybe one and that's before any attrition. Hopefully one or two prospects fall through the cracks. I'll just add that it's not terrible at this juncture but leaves us some options while I would have no issue with picking up a player or 2 late.

Some players may have stipulations as prefered walking that if they hit certain measurables over the next few months, then they will be awarded scholarships for this season. I'm not sure on the exact rules for this though. I know one player said that if he gains 25 more lbs over the next year that he will earn the scholarship.

Reaction Score
Absolutely pumped about David Ruskin and William Richards from our Nation's capitol!

Reaction Score
How do you figure? I don't get it, I really just want to understand.

Here's my reasoning:

We went into the spring according to Diaco with 60 scholarship athletes. (I'm not sure if Davis early signing is included in that 60 or not, but that's moot anyway.)

85 scholarships for fall. 85-60=25 (assuming 0% attrition from spring to fall)

22 of those 25 are accounted for as of today. That leaves 3 scholarships available as of right now for fall. Those 3 scholarships available, is a nice cushion to have. Late signees, awards for PWO players,etc. etc....nice motivational carrot to keep hanging.

Given the fact that players being awarded a PWO status, are actually players that have been studied, rated and recruited - we have 30 players that are joining the program that have been fit to a NLI recruiting cycle and hopefully match the profile of athlete that we want for Diaco's program.

(I honestly don't get the angst against the PWO status - all it means is that the 20 players on the 105 man roster that we go to bat with that aren't getting aid, are the same profile of players that the ones that are getting aid - meaning they were recruited over the same time periods with the same standards and they are expected to play and perform to the same standards - and the scholarships to award those that the coaches deem have earned are - there) How is this a bad thing?

I think having 20 players of the same kind of profile competing to fill 3 scholarships is a much better thing than finding 3 players to fill 3 scholarships with a profile, and then filling up the rest of the roster with tryout players. It's remarkable that Diaco has been able to create that kind of demand at the bottom of end of the roster so quickly. The guy can sell his program for sure.

He's got to win games in the fall, when the wins count though.

So seriously, if you don't mind trying to explain, I'd like to know what your reasoning is to why we failed to fill this class.

He told those 8 PWO's that they were not worthy of a scholarship on day 1, thus the designation. So, he either

1) Was not able to recruit enough players that were so worthy, or
2) is deliberately leaving 3 (likely more since an assumed attrition rate of zero is not realistic) scholarships unfilled.

It is what it is, a class with less than 25 players deemed worthy of a scholarship offer.

Reaction Score
I know the rankings are subjective but its frustrating to see the Top 15 recruits in CT all committing to programs that aren't UConn (I'm going by the ESPN list of rankings: Wilkins, Clark, Palazzolo, Harris, Harris, Miller, Grice, Allen, Adams, Ginnetti, Giudice, Yerardi, Driscoll, Graves). Wilkins and Clark are understandable b/c they are nationally ranked but the others are committing to BCU, Cuse, even UMass. Would love to see the coaching staff make some in-roads here.

Reaction Score
Some players may have stipulations as prefered walking that if they hit certain measurables over the next few months, then they will be awarded scholarships for this season. I'm not sure on the exact rules for this though. I know one player said that if he gains 25 more lbs over the next year that he will earn the scholarship.

I like the idea of giving them a clear path with attainable goals. This new group of PWO's has the potential to contribute down the road.

Reaction Score
Looks like a nice class with a lot of potential. Only concern is we saw how well the kids were coached up last year. Lets hope things turn and Crazy Bobby has a plan other than a better diet, good vibes and motivational music.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom