National Signing Day Coverage | Page 5 | The Boneyard

National Signing Day Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Fair enough. I'm choosing to take whats given and make it work. In the offseason I did my homework, and by my analysis (which in reality means diddleyshiit) I came up with a number of 30 recruits coming in today through a full NLI cycle of profiling athletes, evaluating them and recruiting them, minimum, to get back on track for division 1A roster. That is exactly what happened, so I am happy. For me, still having 3 open scholarships is something positive to work with in this point of time in the year. I dont anticipate thst holding open tryouts in the spring to fond players is in Diaco's plan, and I am ok with that.

I'll write again, without a doubt the tallest and physically biggest class we've had, but they need to be fast. We need team speed.

It appears for you that we are numbers deficient in the class. I dont think so. I see the potential for one of the most competitive fall camps in years.

Listen, if he simply wasn't able to fill the spots given the two late defections, fine. I can live with that, even if it's a bit surprising given the available playing time. If he made the call that we didn't have anyone else that warranted a scholarship, that's his call. From my perspective, recruiting is an inexact science, especially at this level -- bring in as many people as you can and see who can play.

Re: size, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little concerned that "size" sounds like "prototypes" and we just brought in a bunch of big, slow guys. We won't know until they see the field. Given the choice between speed and size, I take speed every time.

Reaction Score
This is in regard to William Richardson, whom I am very high on.

Even though his official commitment was the most talked about this season. Was it official or wasn't it based on SAT scores. I am most high on this kids LOVE for Uconn. Very talented. Has put on 20 lbs since his offer and commitment. He even called the coaches this morning to tell them he's up to 240. On his official visit (with most of the signed classed) he got up at 4 am got the rest of the class up for an early morning work out. I love this. Leader, motivated, driven, the will to be great. What is not to like about this kid and this class. Many team captains. Many multisport athletes. The biggest thing to me, most if not all have joined in on the "family". They encourage and congratulate one another, from state to state. They all look forward to joining one another, in the same locker room and fighting for one another on the same battle field, wearing the same name across their chest for the same goal, VICTORY. I believe, they believe. We should hopefully all believe and encourage, cheer and support.

Sadly, there are too many who will make fun of me, call me names and say things in poor taste. But I am up beat and believe in the future of this program. I think this class has plenty of great athletes (how Beals got out of NJ without more offers is beyond me).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Listen, if he simply wasn't able to fill the spots given the two late defections, fine. I can live with that, even if it's a bit surprising given the available playing time. If he made the call that we didn't have anyone else that warranted a scholarship, that's his call. From my perspective, recruiting is an inexact science, especially at this level -- bring in as many people as you can and see who can play.

Re: size, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't at least a little concerned that "size" sounds like "prototypes" and we just brought in a bunch of big, slow guys. We won't know until they see the field. Given the choice between speed and size, I take speed every time.

Our disagreement seems to be on that concept of "bringing in as many as you can". You are equating that to actual scholarship NLI signed agreements. I think Diaco did bring in as many as he could, and the awarding of the full 85 scholarships is as of yet incomplete. All that it means is that we're going to be a little closer to opening day, than the first Wednesday of February, before we get to the full 85. It's possible we won't have the full 85 by then either. Wouldn't be the first time that ever happened.

I do agree that speed is important. I have no idea how Diaco's been evaluating that with players, and however he's been doing it, I hope it's good and accurate and high level.

I'll tell you what though, given the size and profile of this class, if they do turn out to have high level team speed? The recruiting star websites? the level of athlete that Diaco is scouting? The poachers across the landscape? It will be more cutthroat than ever.

For now, I'm pleased with this class - looking forward to spring ball. And I'm hopeful we'll get an OC in place that knows WTF he is doing.

Reaction Score

Even though his official commitment was the most talked about this season. Was it official or wasn't it based on SAT scores. I am most high on this kids LOVE for Uconn. Very talented. Has put on 20 lbs since his offer and commitment. He even called the coaches this morning to tell them he's up to 240. On his official visit (with most of the signed classed) he got up at 4 am got the rest of the class up for an early morning work out. I love this. Leader, motivated, driven, the will to be great. What is not to like about this kid and this class. Many team captains. Many multisport athletes. The biggest thing to me, most if not all have joined in on the "family". They encourage and congratulate one another, from state to state. They all look forward to joining one another, in the same locker room and fighting for one another on the same battle field, wearing the same name across their chest for the same goal, VICTORY. I believe, they believe. We should hopefully all believe and encourage, cheer and support.

Sadly, there are too many who will make fun of me, call me names and say things in poor taste. But I am up beat and believe in the future of this program. I think this class has plenty of great athletes (how Beals got out of NJ without more offers is beyond me).

There is never anything wrong with having hope for the future, no matter if it is your favorite team, or just your life in general. I'll never ever understand people who think positive people are delusional and wear rose colored glasses.

I'm a realist when it comes to life in general. But why would I follow any team with anything but a positive, reach for the sky attitude? The end result is important, but for me, the journey is more exciting. We aren't going to make the playoffs in our current conference but dreaming and hoping that we bounce back and win the conference is reasonable. I'm not going to wait until it happens to say..."OK..now we're talking"

The boneyard certainly qualifies as the 8th wonder of the world.

Reaction Score
There is never anything wrong with having hope for the future, no matter if it is your favorite team, or just your life in general. I'll never ever understand people who think positive people are delusional and wear rose colored glasses.

I'm a realist when it comes to life in general. But why would I follow any team with anything but a positive, reach for the sky attitude? The end result is important, but for me, the journey is more exciting. We aren't going to make the playoffs in our current conference but dreaming and hoping that we bounce back and win the conference is reasonable. I'm not going to wait until it happens to say..."OK..now we're talking"

Glad to know I am not alone. Amen brother!

Reaction Score

-15d863cf4a3be606.JPG

Grandma has on PINK! A PINK UCONN SHIRT!!! Pink as in "NOT BLUE"!

She's gonna fit right in here.

Reaction Score

Love it! Earl Nightingale, Napoleon Hill and Zig Ziglar would be proud of you!
I talked to a number of the coaches tonight. It was so refreshing after months of reading all the winey, uninformed, sarcastic, negative nonsense that goes on here.

Felt like I took a cool shower after being in the dusty dirty desert.

Reaction Score

I'm with you bro but don't get too excited because I'm delusional!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Love it! Earl Nightingale, Napoleon Hill and Zig Ziglar would be proud of you!
I talked to a number of the coaches tonight. It was so refreshing after reading months of hearing all the winey, uninformed, sarcastic, negative nonsense that goes on here.

Felt like I took a cool shower after being in the dusty dirty desert.

Thank God the board is finally free to bask in it's passive aggressive glory.

First it was 'negative' posts that had to be dealt with. It's refreshing that we've now moved on to being critical about posts that aren't about topics that Art and BNich approve of.

Reaction Score

I think both sides of the "positive/negative" argument get muddled and misconstrued. It is the boneyard, afterall.

There's nothing wrong with being positive and hopeful, but if we were all nothing but positive about the future this place would suck.

There's nothing wrong with being negative based on the last few years. People are pissed off, want to vent, and misery loves company. But if we were all constantly bitching and moaning this place would suck.

The fact is this place is better off with some people predicting 14-0 (including the exhibition season), and some people worried about the second coming of Steve Kragthorpe at the worst possible time.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score

BNich: Just curious, but how is it you know the level of detail you've outlined in your post? :)

Reaction Score
Thank God the board is finally free to bask in it's passive aggressive glory.

First it was 'negative' posts that had to be dealt with. It's refreshing that we've now moved on to being critical about posts that aren't about topics that Art and BNich approve of.

Whaler sucks big brownbear bruin hairy balls. !!! Nah Na Na Nah Na!

May a New England brown bear nest in your front yard and terrorize your garbage can. I mean this with great love. And its real, bc I have bears that frequent my yard where I live and I guarantee I'm no more than a 35 mile radius from wherever you are with respect to Rentschler Field.

Reaction Score
BNich: Just curious, but how is it you know the level of detail you've outlined in your post? :)
Diaco said so in his press conference. Give it a watch and get up to speed on today's events.

Reaction Score
I think both sides of the "positive/negative" argument get muddled and misconstrued. It is the boneyard, afterall.

There's nothing wrong with being positive and hopeful, but if we were all nothing but positive about the future this place would suck.

There's nothing wrong with being negative based on the last few years. People are pissed off, want to vent, and misery loves company. But if we were all constantly bitching and moaning this place would suck.

The fact is this place is better off with some people predicting 14-0 (including the exhibition season), and some people worried about the second coming of Steve Kragthorpe at the worst possible time.

Normally I would agree. No one likes yes men. Overcoming objections, solving problems and offering constructive comments is good for growth. Bantering, joking and disagreement with respect are healthy. However, the real problem of late has been a significant dissatisfaction, uncertainty and quite frankly dislike for Bob Diaco. Trust me, I just didn't just hear it on the yard, I heard it coming from multiple sources. It reminds me of a lynch mob mentality. Those critics gave plenty of reasons for the distain. Some are his boyish enthusiasm, overt honesty, play calling, silencing of coaching staff, believe it or not recruiting, etc.

Fact is Bob Diaco, is who he is. A talented football coach, recruiter, defensive mind and mentor. His critics still believe there is a possibility that he will be successful so they always claim they will give him a little more time while at the same time have the hatchet primed and ready to chop. Part of it is understandable after 4 losing seasons. People are just tired of going home dissappointed. I get it. They also know that UCONN can't afford to have him fail.
When posters like me convey, belief, hope, trust and confidence in the man, we are accused of wishful, whimsical, delusional an emotional thinking. Faith and Hope are beautiful virtues to have. Without them, I would not be where I am today.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Normally I would agree. No one likes yes men. Overcoming objections, solving problems and offering constructive comments is good for growth. Bantering, joking and disagreement with respect are healthy. However, the real problem of late has been a significant dissatisfaction, uncertainty and quite frankly dislike for Bob Diaco. Trust me, I just didn't just hear it on the yard, I heard it coming from multiple sources. It reminds me of a lynch mob mentality. Those critics gave plenty of reasons for the distain. Some are his boyish enthusiasm, overt honesty, play calling, silencing of coaching staff, believe it or not recruiting, etc.

Fact is Bob Diaco, is who he is. A talented football coach, recruiter, defensive mind and mentor. His critics still believe there is a possibility that he will be successful so they always claim they will give him a little more time while at the same time have the hatchet primed and ready to chop. Part of it is understandable after 4 losing seasons. People are just tired of going home dissappointed. I get it. They also know that UCONN can't afford to have him fail.
When posters like me convey, belief, hope, trust and confidence in the man, we are accused of wishful, whimsical, delusional an emotional thinking. Faith and Hope are beautiful virtues to have. Without them, I would not be where I am today.

So normally it would be ok to
disagree with you... but on this topic you've decided it isn't?

Since you disapprove of sarcasm, I won't use any:
1. Comparing criticizing a college football coach to lynch mobs is ridiculous.
2. Faith and hope is wishful emotional thinking by definition.
3. Your list of grievances is woefully incorrect. The easiest example is overt honesty: The man invented the 'lower leg injury'. Maybe if you better understood some of the opinions it wouldn't be so offensive to you that they exist.

Reaction Score
So normally it would be ok to
disagree with you... but on this topic you've decided it isn't?

Since you disapprove of sarcasm, I won't use any:
1. Comparing criticizing a college football coach to lynch mobs is ridiculous.
2. Faith and hope is wishful emotional thinking by definition.
3. Your list of grievances is woefully incorrect. The easiest example is overt honesty: The man invented the 'lower leg injury'. Maybe if you better understood some of the opinions it wouldn't be so offensive to you that they exist.

Did your mother drop you when you were a baby?

Reaction Score

And when posters convey concern with his decision making, his substitutions, his treatment of early games as a virtual preseason, his press conferences, etc, they are accused of being a lynch mob with hatchets ready.

You can't have it both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32