National Perception | Page 2 | The Boneyard

National Perception

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
UCONN plays in the American. Until UCONN plays in the B1G or ACC, we will not get the same level of treatment as the upper-tier programs in those conferences get. All of these Power conferences all have their own TV deals so it almost part of the job description for broadcasters of their games to praise the holy heck out of their own conference schools while under-handing, either deliberately or not, outside schools and conferences. Sort of like the MSNBC vs FOX News political divide, but in sports. It's only going to get worse as the TV deals get more lucrative and the divide gets larger. The fact that UCONN was even mentioned in a PAC telecast is somewhat surprising to me.

Reaction Score
The thing is, despite our four titles, I don't think we were ever part of the club.

This is true right here, I know some are going to resort to their go to move and reference the conference like they always do, but this has always been the case. UConn has never been grouped with Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc like that.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Also, other university sports impact the overall image. Check current AAC website for standings of UCONN in all sports across the board. It depicts huskies as a soccer school for men and women! Foosbal: 1-7 conf, 2-10 with losses to 1-11 smu, 3-9 tulane, 4-8 usf! bottom feeder in entire fbs!

softball: 3-17 conf, 13-38 overall, bottom feeder
ms. volleyball: 12-19, next to last
hoop: 0-1, 7-5, bottom feeder
baseball : 0-0 only because season is yet to begin
ms. hoop: world beaters
ms. soccer: 14-5-5, upper mid of pack
mr. soccer: 6-1-1, 10-6-3

conclusion: UCONN is very down in sports in toto therefore image as powerhouse waning , especially when one considers the competition which is suspect

quite possibly the least informed / most twisted post I've ever read on the WWW

Men's Basketball, defending NATIONAL CHAMPIONS, multiple NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
Women's Basketball, defending NATIONAL CHAMPIONS, multiple NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
Women's Field Hockey, defending NATIONAL CHAMPIONS, multiple NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Men's Soccer, multiple NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS

Women's Soccer, final four participants

Men's Baseball, multiple high draft picks with increasing profile in MLB

Men's Hockey, emerging from it's infancy

only football has been pathetically bad, and that's one bad coach's fault

how on earth can a school with such national prominence be described in such a pathetic fashion by one of it's own fans?

if this guy is not ESPN's "truth", then he's a close relative. Has to be from the same blood line

Reaction Score
Seth Davis at half-time when asked if Florida and UCONN were both destined for THE Tournament, he said he didn't think Florida would make it.

A negative. No network affiliate should be switching from the UCONN game with a minute to go and the outcome very much in doubt to show the tip-off of a women's basketball game. No respect for the Huskies (or Florida for that matter).

Reaction Score
Seth Davis at half-time when asked if Florida and UCONN were both destined for THE Tournament, he said he didn't think Florida would make it.

A negative. No network affiliate should be switching from the UCONN game with a minute to go and the outcome very much in doubt to show the tip-off of a women's basketball game. No respect for the Huskies (or Florida for that matter).

That's networs being stupid. We need to tone down our concern a little as it just seems mostly coincidental. I hope :eek:

Reaction Score
This is not a huge deal at all, but its one of those thing that you notice and then can't shake. Tonight during this Washington-Stanford game, the announcers had two conversations that stuck out. Naturally, during a PAC-12 game, UConn was not the focus of the conversations, but I believe that the way the were dicussed/ignored is a reflection of how people around the country see the program.

During the first instance, the two commentators were discussing last years Stanford's team, listing off the good wins they had. They spent a solid 2+ minutes of game time on the Kansas game they won in the tournament (their biggest win of the year), mentioned their wins over ranked UCLA and Oregon squads and their 3 point loss to Arizona, yet failed to mention the time they beat the eventual national champions, which might not have meant much at the time, but ended up second to Kansas in terms of how impressive it was. I know this is not the worst thing anyone has ever said about UConn, but I cannot understand how you spend so much time talking about big wins without ever mentioning your win over the champs on the road.

A few minutes later, they were talking about future opponents this year. The color guy raved about Arizona (rightly so) and how good they were, their upcoming SoCal swing, @ UCLA, @ USC & @Cal and then of course "a solid UConn program at home". The defending champs, who have won four national championships since 1999 and are tied for the 5th most titles all time, are a "solid program". Which, yes is true, but would be similar to calling the patriots the same thing.

I know it isn't much and is a west coast game that started at 10 pm eastern, but i believe it is indicative of the perception UConn has nationally. Maybe I am grasping for straws here, but would he ever refer to Duke, or Louisville, or even Michigan State as "solid program's". I did not expect the guy to stop the conversation, ignore the game and rave about how incredible uconn is, but at the same time, better branding/media presence would help alleviate this issue and raise our profile from maine to texas to oregon. Again, I know that this is a very minor thing and is not a pertinent issue in the slightest way, but it was noticeable (maybe more to me than the average viewer) and I wanted to put this out there to see if any of you saw or understand why this type of thing would be annoying.

Sorry this is so long.
In the description of upcoming games, I thought the announcer was inferring that they better win some of the California games, because they will have to play UConn and Arizona after that. I agree that the UConn as a solid program comment was less than stellar, but...these guys were desperately trying to build up the PAC12 all game. I agree with everything else here and I do believe that being out of the P5 is making all the difference.

Reaction Score

pj

Reaction Score
This is not a huge deal at all, but its one of those thing that you notice and then can't shake. Tonight during this Washington-Stanford game, the announcers had two conversations that stuck out. Naturally, during a PAC-12 game, UConn was not the focus of the conversations, but I believe that the way the were dicussed/ignored is a reflection of how people around the country see the program.

During the first instance, the two commentators were discussing last years Stanford's team, listing off the good wins they had. They spent a solid 2+ minutes of game time on the Kansas game they won in the tournament (their biggest win of the year), mentioned their wins over ranked UCLA and Oregon squads and their 3 point loss to Arizona, yet failed to mention the time they beat the eventual national champions, which might not have meant much at the time, but ended up second to Kansas in terms of how impressive it was. ...

A few minutes later, they were talking about future opponents this year. The color guy raved about Arizona (rightly so) and how good they were, their upcoming SoCal swing, @ UCLA, @ USC & @Cal and then of course "a solid UConn program at home". The defending champs, who have won four national championships since 1999 and are tied for the 5th most titles all time, are a "solid program". Which, yes is true, but would be similar to calling the patriots the same thing.

I know it isn't much and is a west coast game that started at 10 pm eastern, but i believe it is indicative of the perception UConn has nationally.

Late to this thread, but as a former California resident, I think you most of you are over-reacting.

The focus of West Coast college basketball fans is (a) Pac12 teams from Washington, Oregon, California, and Arizona, and (b) Kansas. Kansas has historically recruited California heavily and has mindshare there. No other eastern team is liked.

Think of the classic New Yorker map of Manhattanites view of the world, where everything shrinks as you get away from the city. That's how it is.

These are west coast announcers speaking for a west coast audience. They say what comes into their mind. What comes into their mind are the west coast programs and Kansas.

If UConn were currently ranked, it would probably be a different story, but an unranked east coast team is not going to stick in the minds of west coast people as a big upcoming game. It may be important for NCAA selection, but it's not emotional for them.

Reaction Score
Seth Davis likes us: http://www.si.com/college-basketbal...er-year-jahlil-okafor-coach-year-mark-turgeon

5. Which of the bluebloods will miss out on the NCAA tournament? It has been a down cycle for several of the game’s best brands -- Michigan, Michigan State, Florida, UConn, UCLA, Syracuse, Memphis, to name a few. Some of them will be in the tournament, but not all of them.

If I were Bobby Huggins I'd wonder about the national disrespect. Here's a team full of upperclassmen with one loss on the season. They are in a P5 conference, and they have some nice wins under their belt. Their G Staten is one of the best player's in the nation. They just beat a ranked team without him. And for Seth Davis they are an afterthought. Weren't even ranked by him until this week.

The disrespect comes from being a small market school playing in a small market conference.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
A negative. No network affiliate should be switching from the UCONN game with a minute to go and the outcome very much in doubt to show the tip-off of a women's basketball game.

So if they switched for a men's game it would be OK?

Reaction Score
Late to this thread, but as a former California resident, I think you most of you are over-reacting.

The focus of West Coast college basketball fans is (a) Pac12 teams from Washington, Oregon, California, and Arizona, and (b) Kansas. Kansas has historically recruited California heavily and has mindshare there. No other eastern team is liked.

Think of the classic New Yorker map of Manhattanites view of the world, where everything shrinks as you get away from the city. That's how it is.

These are west coast announcers speaking for a west coast audience. They say what comes into their mind. What comes into their mind are the west coast programs and Kansas.

If UConn were currently ranked, it would probably be a different story, but an unranked east coast team is not going to stick in the minds of west coast people as a big upcoming game. It may be important for NCAA selection, but it's not emotional for them.
Let's get serious what UConn fan gets emotional over Stanford. Even losing to them last year. In the ugly game of the year.
They didn't beat us ,we beat ourselves, Stanford tried desperately to choke that game away but we would have none of it. We were gracious hosts . Hopefully they return the favor (we probably helped a good deal in their NCAA ranking)so they owe us a return gift.

Reaction Score
Seth Davis likes us: http://www.si.com/college-basketbal...er-year-jahlil-okafor-coach-year-mark-turgeon

5. Which of the bluebloods will miss out on the NCAA tournament? It has been a down cycle for several of the game’s best brands -- Michigan, Michigan State, Florida, UConn, UCLA, Syracuse, Memphis, to name a few. Some of them will be in the tournament, but not all of them.

Kentucky plays the best defense in the last decade??????

They better not lose the rest of the way!:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Like you said 4 National Championships would signify a very solid program. We are not a very good team right now hope the Florida win is a sign of things to come and not an aberration. I don't wanna say who we lost to. I think with the last 2 improbable title runs the national media knows not to count us out. The fact is we are a very good program but not a very good team at the moment.

Uconn is not a "solid program". 4 National titles does not "signify a very solid program". UCONN IS ONE OF THE ELITE PROGRAMS! ELITE! Gonzaga is a solid program. Wisconsin is a solid program. Butler is a solid program. The announcers are typical espn unimformed biased morons. Im offended by the stupidity of the comment.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Uconn is not a "solid program". 4 National titles does not "signify a very solid program". UCONN IS ONE OF THE ELITE PROGRAMS! ELITE! Gonzaga is a solid program. Wisconsin is a solid program. Butler is a solid program. The announcers are typical espn unimformed biased morons. Im offended by the stupidity of the comment.

It's a duck*ing adjective. Cool your jets.

Honestly, people here would be just as upset at ESPN/the media/the rest of the CBB world even if this comment hadn't been made.

Reaction Score
If we were in a major conference, including the Big East, we would absolutely be part of the club. Unfortunately, with our conference affiliation we are in the same "little engine that could" bucket with VCU and Gonzaga.
No we are not.

I have always heard that UConn has the most insecure fan base, and it is true.

People who know what they are talking would never mention UConn in any group with VCU or Gonzaga. Never.

This board has the terrible tendency of seeing or hearing one thing and jumping to the conclusion that "so and so hates us" or "no one gives us respect". Just so odd to me that this board is so insecure after all of the success or quite frankly cares about what others think.

Just look up at those banners and forget about it.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
No we are not.

I have always heard that UConn has the most insecure fan base, and it is true.

People who know what they are talking would never mention UConn in any group with VCU or Gonzaga. Never.

This board has the terrible tendency of seeing or hearing one thing and jumping to the conclusion that "so and so hates us" or "no one gives us respect". Just so odd to me that this board is so insecure after all of the success or quite frankly cares about what others think.

Just look up at those banners and forget about it.

Nothing like that good old New England piss and vinegar. Only slightly kidding...I think if we were located elsewhere there wouldn't be this much agitation amongst the fans.

Reaction Score

That makes sense. I really wasn't freaking out about it like some people on here have posited. It was just something I noticed while watching the game, which was actually noticed by 2 other people on here who were watching. It definitely stuck out but the west coast thing is probably it. I get that we have been up and down, but with how high the ups are you would expect a bit more excitement. Again though, i defer to you, west coast late night trying to fill time equals not terribly concerned about a school 3k miles away and a game that is 2 weeks away.

I dont expect anyone to drool over us, but i am confident anyone on here who watched the game noticed the same thing. I guess what I was trying to point out is how the comments/lack thereof are evidence of the poor job the administration at uconn has done branding the school. Of course Duke, Kentucky, Kansas and UNC are going to be treated with reverence no matter what happens; even Louisville, who has been in 4 conferences in about 10 years and 3 in 3 years, is often put in that group which i don't love, but can accept. It is very frustrating however, to see Syracuse and MSU and Florida consistently mentioned in that group, by media and fans alike while UConn is ignored. It doesn't mean anything and I certainly prefer the titles, but it is annoying.

Reaction Score
It's a duck*ing adjective. Cool your jets.

Honestly, people here would be just as upset at ESPN/the media/the rest of the CBB world even if this comment hadn't been made.
with all do respect...blow me!

Reaction Score
That makes sense. I really wasn't freaking out about it like some people on here have posited. It was just something I noticed while watching the game, which was actually noticed by 2 other people on here who were watching. It definitely stuck out but the west coast thing is probably it. I get that we have been up and down, but with how high the ups are you would expect a bit more excitement. Again though, i defer to you, west coast late night trying to fill time equals not terribly concerned about a school 3k miles away and a game that is 2 weeks away.

I dont expect anyone to drool over us, but i am confident anyone on here who watched the game noticed the same thing. I guess what I was trying to point out is how the comments/lack thereof are evidence of the poor job the administration at uconn has done branding the school. Of course Duke, Kentucky, Kansas and UNC are going to be treated with reverence no matter what happens; even Louisville, who has been in 4 conferences in about 10 years and 3 in 3 years, is often put in that group which i don't love, but can accept. It is very frustrating however, to see Syracuse and MSU and Florida consistently mentioned in that group, by media and fans alike while UConn is ignored. It doesn't mean anything and I certainly prefer the titles, but it is annoying.

I'm not sure about the Louisville trash talk. They have about as good a claim to being a blueblood as we do, and they're definitely the stronger, more relevant program at the moment.

Reaction Score
I can't comment on all broadcasts around the country, but living in Florida, I've met fans of many different programs and I think the respect level from knowledgeable fans is very high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom