• Win the next 2 NCAA National Championships

Votes: 145 51.4%
  • Receive an invite to the ACC

Votes: 137 48.6%

• Total voters

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The Ultimate goal is Chips. Who knows the two chips could lead to an invite somewhere but getting into the ACC doesn't mean we get two chips. 6 Chips, are you kidding me! Damn right going for the chips.

This. I love the optimism but there’s a non zero chance we become Pitt like.

A bird in the hand...

Plus if the big 12 ever breaks up the remainders joining the AAC would probably bring it back to P6. Still might be the best chance

Curiouser
Reaction Score
is the project proving how dumb the fanbase is? if so great success.
Agreed. I had no idea that almost half of our fan base wished they were able to root for BC instead.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If you are voting title I don’t think you understand how this sport works.
I'd say the exact opposite. The goal of the sport is to win titles. You would have a better point if you said those voting title(s) don't understand how much of an impact football has on everything else, titles or no titles.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
ACC.

I’d go so far as to say I’d give back the 2014 title to get that invite. If you are voting title I don’t think you understand how this sport works.
I don’t think they understand anything.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Agreed. I had no idea that almost half of our fan base wished they were able to root for BC instead.

Like I’ve said. We have the athletic department we deserve. Turns out many of those who have lambasted UConn for years for being short sighted... actually are just as short sighted.

Reaction Score
I’ll take the imaginary 2 titles over the imaginary ACC invite all day. Though some of you would rather wave your imaginary ACC flag around.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Every time I think about UConn, the ACC, and the Big East, I get so pissed off thinking about Notre Dame. They are essentially taking up 2 places in the ACC because if they went full football that would create an opportunity for another school. They don’t need the money. I’m pretty sure NBC pays the more for 12 football games than the entire AAC ESPN deal. The Big East is essentially a mid-west Catholic conference now. Beyond frustrating.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It seems pretty simple. ACC membership makes the athletic department viable in the long term.

Two more basketball championships let you tweet 6>1 at Syracuse fans while they knock down Rentschler and shelve the hockey team.

You really have to only give a damn about basketball to make that trade.

Reaction Score
You know how Michigan State was invited into the Big Ten? They were winning championships!

Golly gee willigers.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I'd say the exact opposite. The goal of the sport is to win titles. You would have a better point if you said those voting title(s) don't understand how much of an impact football has on everything else, titles or no titles.
Winning a title is a moment in time where a TEAM succeeds. Getting into a premier conference is not a singular moment but essentially all time going forward, where your PROGRAM is put in a favorable position to win future championSHIPS (plural).

It is kind of like politics. Winning the election is cool for a few months, but what really matters is the future of your country.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I guess I am different than many here in that our basketball National Championships have provided me with much more sustained happiness for decades. In the years before we won championships it was cool to be in what was then considered a premier conference, but winnning championships is so, so, so much more satisfying to me. I think many who voted for ACC don’t know what it’s like to not have them, nor appreciate what a difference each one makes. Two more—in consecutive years no less—would be an insanely unique and defining characteristic that no one can take away (barring severe NCAA improprieties).

A conference, by contrast, can be fleeting; and I am not convinced that the ACC won’t ultimately get swallowed up by the other four of the P5, because it is the weakest football conference among them. So while it is no doubt better than where we are now, the same can be said of the Big East, and I’m not sure that either one of them secures long-term viability, especially for the last one in the pool.

In this poll, the NCs were a no-brainer for me. If the conference choice was switched to the Big Ten I would probably vote the other way, because I think we have a lot more in common with those institutions and it would provide much more certainty for long-term viability, such that it would probably be worth the trade-off with the two consecitive NCs.

pj

Reaction Score
Winning a title is a moment in time where a TEAM succeeds. Getting into a premier conference is not a singular moment but essentially all time going forward, where your PROGRAM is put in a favorable position to win future championSHIPS (plural).

It is kind of like politics. Winning the election is cool for a few months, but what really matters is the future of your country.

True, but the assumption that conferences and the current economics of basketball are forever is dubious. Universities live on federal funding and college athletics lives on unpaid labor from athletes. There is no guarantee that the ACC is going to be a perpetual money fountain, relative to the AAC or B12 or wherever we end up. Certainly there is no guarantee it will be a "future championSHIPS" fountain as you hope.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
True, but the assumption that conferences and the current economics of basketball are forever is dubious. Universities live on federal funding and college athletics lives on unpaid labor from athletes. There is no guarantee that the ACC is going to be a perpetual money fountain, relative to the AAC or B12 or wherever we end up. Certainly there is no guarantee it will be a "future championSHIPS" fountain as you hope.
It’s actually not dubious at all to compare conference to economics, seeing as how the conference determines the payday, and the payday determines the budget. And that is all while completely ignoring the exposure component which may be more important than the $$$.

Also if you are hanging onto me saying ACC “guarantees championships” as your counterpoint then you are playing a straw man. I’m not saying conference guarantees titles... actually I don’t even have the energy to type this out. Like I said, if you are not picking “conference” in this survey, you don’t know how college basketball works. I’ve written pages of this shhh on this board on this subject over the years and bickered with know nothings has quite frankly exhausted me. Feel free to take a gander at those old posts, you might learn something.

It amazes me in 2019 we are still playing the “AAC is not that bad” game. Meanwhile ESPN publishes two separate articles in 2019 about the potential for UConn to cut entire athletics altogether, lol.

You guys remember how “UConn and Memphis are supposed to be the cornerstones of the conference” bs? How all the premier program of the AAC matchups between uconn and Memphis would be “must see tv”? Yea well the game today is on CBS Sports Network, aka a decline in people giving a fk, and it’s only gonna keep going in that direction. Every game until now has been on ESPN or CBS, not this one, probably not the last one either. This conference is a graveyard.

Last edited:

pj

Reaction Score
Past environment is no guarantee of future environment, is all I'm saying. Right now the ACC looks much better than the AAC, but athletics could become a significantly less important part of universities in the future, and universities generally a less important part of the culture. Therefore, the balance of good sense might shift in the question posed by OP to seize the day by taking the two championships, rather than to count on deferred gratification from a better conference affiliation.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I guess I am different than many here in that our basketball National Championships have provided me with much more sustained happiness for decades. In the years before we won championships it was cool to be in what was then considered a premier conference, but winnning championships is so, so, so much more satisfying to me. I think many who voted for ACC don’t know what it’s like to not have them, nor appreciate what a difference each one makes. Two more—in consecutive years no less—would be an insanely unique and defining characteristic that no one can take away (barring severe NCAA improprieties).

A conference, by contrast, can be fleeting; and I am not convinced that the ACC won’t ultimately get swallowed up by the other four of the P5, because it is the weakest football conference among them. So while it is no doubt better than where we are now, the same can be said of the Big East, and I’m not sure that either one of them secures long-term viability, especially for the last one in the pool.

In this poll, the NCs were a no-brainer for me. If the conference choice was switched to the Big Ten I would probably vote the other way, because I think we have a lot more in common with those institutions and it would provide much more certainty for long-term viability, such that it would probably be worth the trade-off with the two consecitive NCs.

or we are the same age and i care about having a football team.....

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It seems pretty simple. ACC membership makes the athletic department viable in the long term.

Two more basketball championships let you tweet 6>1 at Syracuse fans while they knock down Rentschler and shelve the hockey team.

You really have to only give a damn about basketball to make that trade.
Well that’s how most of the people over here feel. Unfortunately.

Reaction Score
I’ll take the imaginary 2 titles over the imaginary ACC invite all day. Though some of you would rather wave your imaginary ACC flag around.

Much like your imaginary Ch banners.

Reaction Score
Are people nuts? Who would turn down the next two NCs?! That would mean we are better versions of Memphis when Calipari was there, UNLV with Tark or Gonzaga over the past several years. With that success, you could make the non-conference schedule whatever you wanted since everybody would want to play you.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
F the ACC, we win and everything takes care of itself

We win two more titles, the Big 10 comes knocking and that's more money than the ACC that did everything in their power to destroy us

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
F the ACC, we win and everything takes care of itself

We win two more titles, the Big 10 comes knocking and that's more money than the ACC that did everything in their power to destroy us
1549834061546.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom