National Championship or ACC?

Would you rather...

• Win the next 2 NCAA National Championships

Votes: 145 51.4%
  • Receive an invite to the ACC

Votes: 137 48.6%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
The argument is usually that the conference is holding us back. If we win the next two championships, then obviously the conference isn't holding us back. This is kind of an apples and oranges poll. The staying in the AAC option states that we win championships. The ACC option doesn't state how successful we are going to be in the ACC. If we're winning national championships in the ACC, then I'll select that option. If we're mediocre in the ACC with no national championships, I vote we stay in the AAC. Winning national championship from any league brings more joy than being mediocre.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I thought about it and surprised myself by picking the ACC invite. We've won four natties in the last 20 years and our AD is on life support. If you'd asked me this three years ago I definitely would have gone the other way.

Oh and btw if you make this the Big Ten rather than the ACC, it becomes a slam dunk.

Reaction Score
If we win the next 2 championships, not only would we be helping the conference and but we'd become even more attractive to the Big Ten.

This is almost like asking a Patriots fan whether they would rather win the next 2 Super Bowls or play in the NFC East. Geez.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
If we win the next 2 championships, not only would we be helping the conference and but we'd become even more attractive to the Big Ten.

This is almost like asking a Patriots fan whether they would rather win the next 2 Super Bowls or play in the NFC East. Geez.
I mean, we won the basketball title and played in a BCS game the year before CR last time around and still got passed over for Rutgers, Pitt, Cuse, Maryland, WVU, Louisville...

Reaction Score
The whole point of getting into a better conference is to get better recruits, which leads to better teams, which leads to championships. And people would pass on getting two of them to go to the ACC?

Yes, things are bad now, but I think some of you are forgetting how difficult it was to win the first one when we were in the Big East. Spoiled me will take the banners.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
As much as I want to say ACC, mainly due to football considerations, can't pass up two championships.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Banners fly forever.

Hire Q to clean up the AD budget.

(I’m allowed to dream right?)

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
The next two national championships with Hurley at the helm.... you have to be nuts not to take this!!! That would make 6 NCs in the past 21 years (makes us a blue blood again). It would solidify Hurley as a great coach, would give the AAC more credibility, and I have no doubts Hurley would know how to capitalize on this achievement by getting more and more top level recruits (this was KO's failing after the 2014 NC). Recruits would be fighting their way to get to UConn! Getting into the ACC doesn't automatically equate with winning. Also, UConn could easily schedule a tough non-conference schedule (6 to 8 games against ACC caliber teams) to satisfy those who say the AAC is not a premier league. "You want to win championships our play against Wake Forest, Pitt, Duke and North Carolina twice a year?" You can still play Arizona, Oregon, Villanova, and 4 other top 25 teams every year. Easy choice in my opinion.

Reaction Score
If we win the National title again we’ll just have to read Courant articles about the university lost money by not selling their allotment of Final Four packages and how Hurley had to pay out of pocket for the parade.
This is basketball not football. 2014 UConn had a huge waiting list to buy tickets through the school.

Reaction Score
Winning 2 won’t matter for conference as we will be running AAC finally. This is a coaches conference and may have more marquee names than any other league. This is never mentioned but Hurley Dawkins Hardaway Cronin Dooley Sampson dunphy (mckie) dunleavy haith and of course Marshall may be the best top to (almost) bottom. Sorry USF. Any championship bodes well for this league and may even allow US to expand and offer more sensible conference alignment within (north/south). Let’s get VCU URI (pull Harvard out of Ivy for mbb) buffalo saint Joe’s Cleveland state, and yes UMASS as well. The south is already set up. This gives options for more rivalries and better fan travel as well.
Good point

Reaction Score
My 10 yr old, without hesitating “ACC” better competition, better recurits for us” (mind you he’s well versed in our NC runs and we had just watched the new 2011 mix tape)

Reaction Score
I mean, we won the basketball title and played in a BCS game the year before CR last time around and still got passed over for Rutgers, Pitt, Cuse, Maryland, WVU, Louisville...
Because they've been paying dues longer. We're nouveau riche. Not hard to grasp.

Reaction Score
Winning 2 won’t matter for conference as we will be running AAC finally. This is a coaches conference and may have more marquee names than any other league. This is never mentioned but Hurley Dawkins Hardaway Cronin Dooley Sampson dunphy (mckie) dunleavy haith and of course Marshall may be the best top to (almost) bottom. Sorry USF. Any championship bodes well for this league and may even allow US to expand and offer more sensible conference alignment within (north/south). Let’s get VCU URI (pull Harvard out of Ivy for mbb) buffalo saint Joe’s Cleveland state, and yes UMASS as well. The south is already set up. This gives options for more rivalries and better fan travel as well.
How about John Carroll, Scranton, Niagara, Albany, and St. Bonaventure while we are at it!

Sorry, I am just being a little self serving ... those are all schools my son is looking to attend. Although I am sorta half kidding about Bona. They kicked our butts back in 2001 (worse whooping by a non-power school in the Calhoun era) and I never forgot it; at least if they were in conference it might lessen the sting.

Reaction Score
I think 6>1. If we won the next 2 it would mean we are getting good players and the conference isn’t holding us back. Go to the ACC maybe we up up Pitt east. Surprised this is 50/50
It's not as if sports fans generally have long term thinking, especially when it comes to teams they cheer on.

Duke has 5 titles. Apparently, some here would rather be in the ACC than have 6 titles.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom