Natalie Butler [merged thread] | The Boneyard

Natalie Butler [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
John Altavilla @jaltavilla · 10m
Source tells me that Natalie Butler, a 6-5 freshman center from Georgetown, visited #uconnwomen this weekend and is thinking about transfer

We could use a 6'5 player even though she won't be available until 2015-16 per transfer rules
Averaged 13 rebounds
Was the Big east rookie of the year
Will have 3 years to play if transferred to UConn

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This would be absolutely HUGE for UCONN, literally and figuratively. If the coaches feel like she's a true UCONN type player, I'd sign up for that in a heartbeat... Practice 1 year behind Kiah... then possibly start the next year...

From a physical standpoint, she looks like a slightly more slender, more fit version of Stef at the same age.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
just watched video of her. She looks real good. True Center. Good moves around the basket. nice number. pretty athletic. i did not see this coming it would be a huge get. There are not a lot of centers out there.

Reaction Score
Be still, my heart! Sure looks like UCONN to me.....called up some pix of her, and in one she has her hand over her heart, evidently for the anthem or flag..........another plus is that her heart is over the HEADS of her teammates! Sounds like she now aspires to become a pro ball player, and what better path than thru Storrs?????

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Oh man, this is what I've been so so so wishing for, a true center! Whew, I hope this visit goes GREAT! This would be so fantastic. Three years...three years, in year after next! Wow! And she could sit on the bench and attend practices, right?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
John Altavilla @jaltavilla · 10m
Source tells me that Natalie Butler, a 6-5 freshman center from Georgetown, visited #uconnwomen this weekend and is thinking about transfer

We could use a 6'5 player even though she won't be available until 2015-16 per transfer rules
Averaged 13 rebounds
Was the Big east rookie of the year
Will have 3 years to play if transferred to UConn

Tied for 9th in NCAA with 24 double doubles (leader had 29). Remarkable for a freshman. A high character kid whose games continues to improve. Was unanimous BE ROY.

From good stock too. Her father is Vernon Butler who played with David Robinson on the '86 Navy team that made it to the Elite 8 and who is Navy's 2nd all-time leading scorer.

Reaction Score
This seems odd to me. How does a player visit another school to "think about transferring?" It would be one thing for her to visit after having declared that she's transferring, but while she's still part of that team? And can she even talk to the UConn staff?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
This seems odd to me. How does a player visit another school to "think about transferring?" It would be one thing for her to visit after having declared that she's transferring, but while she's still part of that team? And can she even talk to the UConn staff?

Maybe not a good idea to put too much weight on the wording of a tweet. Sounds like she is thinking about transferring ...to UConn. She wouldn't have visited if UConn weren't granted permission to contact.

Coaching change at G'town may be part of the reason.

Reaction Score
1. Georgetown may have given her permission to talk to other schools but not yet signed off on a transfer. It is entirely possible that they won't do the latter until they have a new coach on board who gets a chance to "re-recruit" her. Hopefully that is not the case but it has happened before.

2. Given all the turmoil in the Georgetown program, with the coach who recruited her being fired for abusive conduct and GU likely having four different head coaches in less than four years, there is an outside chance the NCAA might let her play without sitting out a year. That has happened on a number of occasions in situations like this over the past five years. However it appears that a new rule will end that practice starting in 12 months. Technically a waiver could still be granted for 2014 - but I imagine the NCAA will be tougher on granting waivers this year.

3. She is the daughter of Navy's second best all-time player, Vernon Butler, who teamed up with David Robinson to give Navy perhaps its only nationally-ranked teams ever. He is still #2 in Navy history in scoring and rebounding.

Reaction Score
why was she ranked only #140 in the 13 class?

Late developer. Barely played as a soph and apparently didn't develop any coordination until her junior year. Has improved dramatically over the past couple years according to various reports. She not only was the BE freshman of the year but she was the nation's top frosh rebounder.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
1. Georgetown may have given her permission to talk to other schools but not yet signed off on a transfer. It is entirely possible that they won't do the latter until they have a new coach on board who gets a chance to "re-recruit" her. Hopefully that is not the case but it has happened before.

2. Given all the turmoil in the Georgetown program, with the coach who recruited her being fired for abusive conduct and GU likely having four different head coaches in less than four years, there is an outside chance the NCAA might let her play without sitting out a year. That has happened on a number of occasions in situations like this over the past five years. However it appears that a new rule will end that practice starting in 12 months. Technically a waiver could still be granted for 2014 - but I imagine the NCAA will be tougher on granting waivers this year.

3. She is the daughter of Navy's second best all-time player, Vernon Butler, who teamed up with David Robinson to give Navy perhaps its only nationally-ranked teams ever. He is still #2 in Navy history in scoring and rebounding.

Georgetown named a new head coach -- Natasha Adair -- 3 weeks ago.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Late developer. Barely played as a soph and apparently didn't develop any coordination until her junior year. Has improved dramatically over the past couple years according to various reports. She not only was the BE freshman of the year but she was the nation's top frosh rebounder.
She reminds me of Stefanie. That's a very good thing.

Reaction Score
Georgetown named a new head coach -- Natasha Adair -- 3 weeks ago.

Thanks, I missed that. The point still holds however that Georgetown may be letting her talk to other programs without necessarily releasing her at this point. Adair might want to have more chance to recruit her to stay.

Reaction Score
#51 is Natalie Butler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member