Napheesa Collier, quietly crushing opponents... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Napheesa Collier, quietly crushing opponents...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Pheese has that fade-away turn around jumper with a soft touch in the lane that you dont see alot of womens players use that will frustrate the bigger post trying to defend her the next 3 years!
Can't wait to see her use that against Turner.

Reaction Score
BFF's:
Katie Lou & Naphessa.jpg

Reaction Score
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT <> Our new Morgan Tuck <> Not bad credentials.....
I actually said that last year, when she was coming to Storrs. She had a similar game to that of Morgan and now she's showing the consistency that we always got from Morgan, when she was healthy.

Reaction Score
View attachment 17107

On a team with outgoing personalities like Gabby, Kia, Katie Lou and Crystal, it is probably hard for Napheesa Collier to get a word in edgewise. :p It doesn't matter, opponents know all to well, she does most of her best work down low, away from the spotlight. Consider her statistics through four games:

1. She is 2nd on the team in scoring with 68 points, 17 per game.
2. Collier is the team leader in rebounding with 33, 8.3 per game. :)
3. Only KLS has made more baskets at 27 to 26.
4. Shooting 60% from three range at 3 for 5.
5. Always a dangerous free throw shooter, she is 13-16 or 81.3%.
6. At 6'1", she has an amazing 8 blocked shots, 1/2 the team total. :cool:
7. Her 130 minutes of action equates to 32.5 minutes of play per game.

From a freshman, part time starter behind the Big three, Napheesa has quietly become Geno's Morgan Tuck. Good at everything, dependable every night. Just like Tuck, she goes about her business down low, deep in the lane, surfacing on occasion to kill opponents with a three point swish. A blue collar worker on a star studded roster. ;)

Go Napheesa..!!

People say CD is ahead of MJ as a freshman, may we say Collier is ahead of Tuck as freshman/sophomore? She might not become as vocal as Tuck eventually, there is sleekness in her play without the loudness in Williams' play. Both she and Williams can come from nowhere for a rebound or block. We naturally expect more of those from Williams as they are very visually enjoyable, collier can just do as much silently.

Reaction Score
Napheesa is not quite the same as Tuck, though I can see the similarities in their stats. She's more physically gifted; in the same way that Kiah Stokes is physically "built for basketball" as a center, Napheesa is built for basketball as a small forward.

Tuck's biggest gift by far was between the ears, which made up for the fact that her athleticism was more ordinary. And that gift was already somewhat present as a freshman. She was both mentally tough and highly skilled.

Napheesa's skills and mentality might not quite be at that rock solid level...but she makes up for it with very nice agility and length and "motor.". If she stays healthy, she will only get better. Looking forward to seeing Collier and Walker compete for the same position on the floor...a nice problem to have. ;)

Reaction Score
image.jpg

All of the aforementioned and she most graciously poses for photos with some of her youngest fans!

iri10 - Talk about being "built for basketball"; check out Gabby's hand in this picture. Made for rebounding (along with those high jump legs)!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Napheesa is not quite the same as Tuck, though I can see the similarities in their stats. She's more physically gifted; in the same way that Kiah Stokes is physically "built for basketball" as a center, Napheesa is built for basketball as a small forward.

Tuck's biggest gift by far was between the ears, which made up for the fact that her athleticism was more ordinary. And that gift was already somewhat present as a freshman. She was both mentally tough and highly skilled.

Napheesa's skills and mentality might not quite be at that rock solid level...but she makes up for it with very nice agility and length and "motor.". If she stays healthy, she will only get better. Looking forward to seeing Collier and Walker compete for the same position on the floor...a nice problem to have. ;)

I think for wcbb Collier is more of a 4 like Maya. Because Lou is soft she is going to be the 3. Though as Lou gets tougher and as Collier's handle, court awareness with the ball and outside shot improve they can switch to some extent. But imo for wcbb, Collier is a terrific 4. I don't know enough about Camara- but for next year I see a frontline of c Stevens, pf Collier, SF Lou.

Collier's activity around the basket keeps her as a dynamic pf though it will be fun no doubt seeing her move outside sometimes and see Lou move inside. As she gets more experienced, Collier is gonna destroy the young kids especially 15 feet and in.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
There was a article in the St. Louis Post Dispatch today about Collier. It stated that Collier does not believe she has to be the focus of the UCONN offense and did not care if she scored 30 points or if they all scored 10 points. It does not matter to her. But Geno does not agree. He wants to figure out how to get the ball to her as often as possible because he does not think there is anyone who can guard her. He said "She's maybe one of the most unique players that we've had in awhile...there isn't any one classic thing about her, but every which way that you can think of somebody being a scorer, she has it." Maybe if she changes her attitude about scoring she will raise her level of play, offensively.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
I meant to write there was an article.

Reaction Score
Yes, only two. I like them all, and I root and cheer for them equally. But...you can only have so many favorites. EVERYBODY can't be your favorite. Favorites are a little extra special. I'm a BIG Gabby fan too. :cool:

If i can't have EVERYONE--and my favorite must be SPECIAL . Pray tell----WHICH PLAYERS of UCONN WOMEN ARE NOT SPECIAL--PLEASE PROVIDE NAMES.

Reaction Score
There was a article in the St. Louis Post Dispatch today about Collier. It stated that Collier does not believe she has to be the focus of the UCONN offense and did not care if she scored 30 points or if they all scored 10 points. It does not matter to her. But Geno does not agree. He wants to figure out how to get the ball to her as often as possible because he does not think there is anyone who can guard her. He said "She's maybe one of the most unique players that we've had in awhile...there isn't any one classic thing about her, but every which way that you can think of somebody being a scorer, she has it." Maybe if she changes her attitude about scoring she will raise her level of play, offensively.

I don't think that is really her attitude--she is speaking the TEAM mantra--it's all about TEAM--does anyone think she is taking off some plays so she wont score 30 points--naw, not at all. If the ball comes to her and she can score--she'll score..

Reaction Score
I think Ms. Collier may have spent some time observing Morgan Tuck. The skill set is fairly similar: can play under the basket, good feet and positioning, and can step out and shoot 3s.
Smooth describes every aspect of her game. Less size than Tuck but every bit of performance. Have to give kudos to coaching staff as well. There have been many generations of Huskies with these moves.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
. Collier in the USA did what she is doing now--making that quick attack of the basket--why she didn't do that last year/// Only Geno knows. .

As i've noted elsewhere....both Moriah and Napheesa sparingly displayed their considerable wares (quite fleetingly) during their Freshman campaigns.

Without recalling the game, Moriah (once, perhaps only once) made one of her patented darts to the basket
through the trees, leaving her opponents, befuddled and awestruck...I remember yelling at the TV...why don't you do that more....having seen it on her HS tapes

For Napheesa, it's easy: Bridgeport, March, against Texas. the starters were not putting the Longhorns away, Geno put in Pheesa and KLS (just before half-time) who proceeded (more or less as usual) to stand around and wait for the big 3 to execute. Geno called a timeout and screamed at the frosh to do something, he hadn't put them in to be mannequins.

Pheesa then went on a mini-tear on both sides of the court, rebounds...maybe a block or steal, and three aggressive and successful forays to the hoop. Broke the back of the Texas will...the game was over.

Available in living color in replay.

Reaction Score
Yes, only two. I like them all, and I root and cheer for them equally. But...you can only have so many favorites. EVERYBODY can't be your favorite. Favorites are a little extra special. I'm a BIG Gabby fan too. :cool:[/QUOT

Carnac, you don't have to nurture Lou, she's on a roll, not likely to take her foot off the pedal. And Crystal can only get better, helping the team in ways only a gifted guard can do. Collier IS the surprise, the quiet performer stepping up to fill the needs, inside and outside, offense and defense. Now we wait for Nurse to relax and go with the flow, and Saniya to embrace and focus on the minutes off the bench.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If i can't have EVERYONE--and my favorite must be SPECIAL . Pray tell----WHICH PLAYERS of UCONN WOMEN ARE NOT SPECIAL--PLEASE PROVIDE NAMES.

Everyone CAN BE YOUR favorite if YOU want them to Broadway, and I'm OK with that. I choose to have only 1 or 2. And No!!, I'm not going to provide any names. I'll not be painted into that corner. Since you've taken the time to question my choice of "favorites", or that fact that I would be so bold as to have some, I'll explain.

Definition of favorite
  1. 1 : one that is treated or regarded with special favor or liking; especially : a person who is specially loved, trusted, or provided with favors by someone of high rank or authority, or your common everyday Joe.

2. a competitor judged most likely to win, as in a tournament/horse/political race
It's OK to have favorites. Man has had "favorites since he began walking upright. I have my favorite foods, I have my favorite professional sports teams/players, I have my favorite posters here in the yard, I have my favorite television programs/movies,
I had my favorite co-workers, I have my favorite actors/actresses............are you starting to get the picture? I have my favorites.

I have my favorites on this year's UConn team, OK? The key word here is "I". I'm not a follower. I don't follow the crowd, and I don't ask or suggest that others follow me. I don't consider myself a leader either. I'm my own man. Whether others understand (agree) me or my logic or not, is not my problem. I'm comfortable in MY own skin. If YOU want to embrace the entire team as YOUR favorite, I'm completely OK with that, and would never take umbridge with your posture on that matter. I read most of the comments and posts here. Some I agree with (and denote them with a like), some I don't. All of us do not think alike, you know that. We all don't view the world through the same set of glasses.

We're all different because of our backgrounds, our heritage, the environment (urban/rural - different country, etc) we were raised in, the values and morals we were taught (in some cases weren't taught) as children, the quality of and the level of education we were able to attain, and the people we have chosen to embrace and associate with as grown adults (when you associate, you assimilate). We all have different views on religion and politics. Who is the ultimate authority to say we are right or wrong in what we individually believe and live our lives by?
I understand and accept these differences in people. Whether we (you & me) like it or not, that's the way it is, and it will continue to be that way long after we "transition", and they throw dirt on us.

I'll step down of of my soapbox with this, The Serenity Prayer: "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference". I've been living by this very simple and non-complex concept most of my adult life, and it has worked for me. I'm not a complicated person. I come here for information, to share thoughts and ideas, and to have a little fun with the "Carnac" thing. I can predict (guess) the outcome of future events, but you, me and everyone in the yard knows I don't know anymore of what's going to happen 5 minutes from now more than anyone else.I must admit, I've embraced and enjoy having taken on the "Carnac" persona.

We've had (and expressed) our differences before, I'm sure we'll have them again. I've read hundreds of your comments and replys to others posts. You are an extremely opinionated man, who is not shy or remiss about expressing those opinions. So, back to the beginning...........if I want to have my favorites, I'll have them whatever they may be. Allow me that privilege please minus the rocks and darts please, thanks. Broadway, I know you. We reveal ourselves in our thoughts and expressions (words). It's been said that "out of the mouth, the hearts speaks". I fully expect you to reply to this with a minimum 1 paragraph rebuttal. The floor is yours......................................

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Everyone CAN BE YOUR favorite if YOU want them to Broadway, and I'm OK with that. I choose to have only 1 or 2. And No!!, I'm not going to provide any names. I'll not be painted into that corner. Since you've taken the time to question my choice of "favorites", or that fact that I would be so bold as to have some, I'll explain.

Definition of favorite
  1. 1 : one that is treated or regarded with special favor or liking; especially : a person who is specially loved, trusted, or provided with favors by someone of high rank or authority, or your common everyday Joe.

2. a competitor judged most likely to win, as in a tournament/horse/political race
It's OK to have favorites. Man has had "favorites since he began walking upright. I have my favorite foods, I have my favorite professional sports teams/players, I have my favorite posters here in the yard, I have my favorite television programs/movies,
I had my favorite co-workers, I have my favorite actors/actresses..are you starting to get the picture? I have my favorites.

I have my favorites on this year's UConn team, OK? The key word here is "I". I'm not a follower. I don't follow the crowd, and I don't ask or suggest that others follow me. I don't consider myself a leader either. I'm my own man. Whether others understand (agree) me or my logic or not, is not my problem. I'm comfortable in MY own skin. If YOU want to embrace the entire team as YOUR favorite, I'm completely OK with that, and would never take umbridge with your posture on that matter. I read most of the comments and posts here. Some I agree with (and denote them with a like), some I don't. All of us do not think alike, you know that. We all don't view the world through the same set of glasses.

We're all different because of our backgrounds, our heritage, the environment (urban/rural - different country, etc) we were raised in, the values and morals we were taught (in some cases weren't taught) as children, the quality of and the level of education we were able to attain, and the people we have chosen to embrace and associate with as grown adults (when you associate, you assimilate). We all have different views on religion and politics. Who is the ultimate authority to say we are right or wrong in what we individually believe and live our lives by?
I understand and accept these differences in people. Whether we (you & me) like it or not, that's the way it is, and it will continue to be that way long after we "transition", and they throw dirt on us.

I'll step down of of my soapbox with this, The Serenity Prayer: "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference". I've been living by this very simple and non-complex concept most of my adult life, and it has worked for me. I'm not a complicated person. I come here for information, to share thoughts and ideas, and to have a little fun with the "Carnac" thing. I can predict (guess) the outcome of future events, but you, me and everyone in the yard knows I don't know anymore of what's going to happen 5 minutes from now more than anyone else.I must admit, I've embraced and enjoy having taken on the "Carnac" persona.

We've had (and expressed) our differences before, I'm sure we'll have them again. I've read hundreds of your comments and replys to others posts. You are an extremely opinionated man, who is not shy or remiss about expressing those opinions. So, back to the beginning......if I want to have my favorites, I'll have them whatever they may be. Allow me that privilege please minus the rocks and darts please, thanks. Broadway, I know you. We reveal ourselves in our thoughts and expressions (words). It's been said that "out of the mouth, the hearts speaks". I fully expect you to reply to this with a minimum 1 paragraph rebuttal. The floor is yours........

I don't need a prayer to tell me how to act---I'M JUST GREAT ALL THE TIME..

If this is about your or my expressing opinions or you thinking you have no right to a FAVORITE 1,2, or 3--you wasted 1000 word.
I have no desire to tell anyone who they may or may not like or dislike--or an opinion about them. \

Seriously, interesting--posting -. There is Always a high authority to tell you when your are right or wrong---if only your spouse!!
We don't live an a vacuum. We are not ONLY responsible to ourselves.
I wouldn't presume that I know you---

My strong opinions are as firm as mush---if you don't like that one--wait a minute --it will be different (evolving).

We don't always disagree--But the definition of words do not cover the abilities of humans to accept and to have an entire team as a Favorite (the reason for your posting).
Within that group--it is possible to single out one or another for high praise--then select at other times others within the group while favoring the group i'm sure you will agree with that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't understand this need to compare current players to previous players, especially as Geno remarked at his presser recently, we can't compare Crystal to Mo, because we only remember Mo as a senior. If we're going to compare Pheesa to Morgan (and I honestly do not see the resemblance except that they both play the 4 usually), then we have to imagine/remember Morgan in her 2nd year.

Pheesa has extraordinary athleticism and equally extraordinary instincts (which might not be different things). Her sense of the flow of the game, of players in the game, of the ball off the rim are all amazing. It's an usually high kinetic intelligence that goes with her outstanding physical gifts, at least IMHO.

Reaction Score

Definition of favorite

I had my favorite co-workers, I have my favorite actors/actresses..are you starting to get the picture? I have my favorites.

We've had (and expressed) our differences before, I'm sure we'll have them again. I've read hundreds of your comments and replys to others posts. You are an extremely opinionated man, who is not shy or remiss about expressing those opinions. So, back to the beginning......if I want to have my favorites, I'll have them whatever they may be. Allow me that privilege please minus the rocks and darts please, thanks. Broadway, I know you. We reveal ourselves in our thoughts and expressions (words). It's been said that "out of the mouth, the hearts speaks". I fully expect you to reply to this with a minimum 1 paragraph rebuttal. The floor is yours........

I really feel bad--that you think i posted rocks or darts at you. In my belief --I didn't. But everything is in the eyes of the beholder
SO I went back to see the begining to see what went so wrong--I still don't get it

BroadwayVa said:

ONLY 2 favorites---I started out KLS, then I loved Collier--then Gabby--then big time Dangerfield--fickle??? No --I want them all--Bench and all. Happy Thanksgiving Carnac, have a great holiday. Each and all.

CARNAC sed

Yes, only two. I like them all, and I root and cheer for them equally. But...you can only have so many favorites. EVERYBODY can't be your favorite. Favorites are a little extra special. I'm a BIG Gabby fan too.

BroadwayVa sed

CARNAC SED

Since you've taken the time to question my choice of "favorites", or that fact that I would be so bold as to have some, I'll explain. This plus 1000 words.

Me..
No one question your CHOICE of FAVORITES---we were discussing my NOT being allowed to have multiple favorites. Please re-read EVERY THING .

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
I don't think that is really her attitude--she is speaking the TEAM mantra--it's all about TEAM--does anyone think she is taking off some plays so she wont score 30 points--naw, not at all. If the ball comes to her and she can score--she'll score..[/QUOTE)
Why would you doubt what she says SHE feels? A player does not have to take plays off to not care how many points she scores. She is not saying that. However, Geno wants her to change that attitude. I do too. After watching her for three years in high school, I seen what she is capable of doing. Her school played a national schedule and she usually excelled in her play. She also excelled in the three state championship games her team won.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom