Napheesa Collier, quietly crushing opponents... | The Boneyard

Napheesa Collier, quietly crushing opponents...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Collier vs Dayton.JPG

On a team with outgoing personalities like Gabby, Kia, Katie Lou and Crystal, it is probably hard for Napheesa Collier to get a word in edgewise. :p It doesn't matter, opponents know all to well, she does most of her best work down low, away from the spotlight. Consider her statistics through four games:

1. She is 2nd on the team in scoring with 68 points, 17 per game.
2. Collier is the team leader in rebounding with 33, 8.3 per game. :)
3. Only KLS has made more baskets at 27 to 26.
4. Shooting 60% from three range at 3 for 5.
5. Always a dangerous free throw shooter, she is 13-16 or 81.3%.
6. At 6'1", she has an amazing 8 blocked shots, 1/2 the team total. :cool:
7. Her 130 minutes of action equates to 32.5 minutes of play per game.

From a freshman, part time starter behind the Big three, Napheesa has quietly become Geno's Morgan Tuck. Good at everything, dependable every night. Just like Tuck, she goes about her business down low, deep in the lane, surfacing on occasion to kill opponents with a three point swish. A blue collar worker on a star studded roster. ;)

Go Napheesa..!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's amazing how fast this young lady has grown into a leader. She's just going about her business and doing what needs to be done. I love her game and her calm temperament. Before she graduates, she will be an All-American. Thanks for the stats David.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I had a feeling this would happen! :D

@JavaMan , you beat me to it with your Avatar, but I will stick to my plan and wait until after Thanksgiving to make my Holiday avatar mod.

Until then, a happy Thanksgiving weekend to you and yours.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It's amazing how fast this young lady has grown into a leader. She's just going about her business and doing what needs to be done. I love her game and her calm temperament. Before she graduates, she will be an All-American. Thanks for the stats David.

I agree 100%. If she can continue to put up the numbers the rest of the season that she has the first 4 games, she can't miss. Collier is one of my two favorite players. Crystal is the other. I love the style and flavor these young ladies bring to the table.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think Ms. Collier may have spent some time observing Morgan Tuck. The skill set is fairly similar: can play under the basket, good feet and positioning, and can step out and shoot 3s.

She could not have had a better mentor (example to draw or learn from) on or off the court. Who knows, since Tuck is rehabbing her leg injury on campus, she still may be in Collier's ear.

Reaction Score
View attachment 17107

On a team with outgoing personalities like Gabby, Kia, Katie Lou and Crystal, it is probably hard for Napheesa Collier to get a word in edgewise. :p It doesn't matter, opponents know all to well, she does most of her best work down low, away from the spotlight. Consider her statistics through four games:

From a freshman, part time starter behind the Big three, Napheesa has quietly become Geno's Morgan Tuck. Good at everything, dependable every night. Just like Tuck, she goes about her business down low, deep in the lane, surfacing on occasion to kill opponents with a three point swish. A blue collar worker on a star studded roster. ;)

Go Napheesa..!!

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT <> Our new Morgan Tuck <> Not bad credentials.....

Reaction Score
View attachment 17107

Go Napheesa..!!

David---Super great AGAIN!! Katie Lou and Collier are roommates--so the Chemistry between them is pretty good , getting better.
I have never seen a 6 ft 1 inch player attack the basked against a 6/7 and score so efficiently AnD rebound. Her shot, while attacking, from 6 ft or so out is amazingly accurate--and recently she shows us she shoot the three. As you pointed out --she plays defense well.
I agree with YOU and other posters---WHAT'S NOT TO LIKE???? (on top of that she is exceedingly beautiful)

Reaction Score
I agree 100%. If she can continue to put up the numbers the rest of the season that she has the first 4 games, she can't miss. Collier is one of my two favorite players. Crystal is the other. I love the style and flavor these young ladies bring to the table.
ONLY 2 favorites---I started out KLS, then I loved Collier--then Gabby--then big time Dangerfield--fickle??? No --I want them all--Bench and all. Happy Thanksgiving Carnac, have a great holiday. Each and all.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I have always said from the day that she arrived on campus that she was the steal of the class. TonyC and I have discussed many times...I have been consistent that I believed she would have a break-out season if she could be healthy and if she could break the starting line-up.

Carnac

Reaction Score
So maybe the moniker "Quiet Assassin" is appropriate for Pheese.[/QUOTE]
AND, in her own words, The Silent Assassin.

A silent assassin is the worst kind (the best kind if their on YOUR side). They do what they do without any fanfare or attention. They just "do their job", and stay completely under the radar. I always thought of Maya Moore as a S.A. A basket here, one there. No hoopla or grandstanding. At the end of the game, she'd have 28 points. And you'd wonder, wow, when did she get all of those?
Many other posters and comenters have predicted that Collier will be an All-American at some point. I'm pulling the trusty envelope. If she plays all year like she's played the first four games, she'll make it THIS year. The envelope sez: by the end of her junior year for sure.

She's doing EVERYTHING you'd want your All-American to do. She's steady, seldom turns the ball over, she remains available (very important), She's coachable, she stays on the floor (foul trouble), she can score inside & out, She's low key (doesn't need or want the spotlight), She's a ball magnet (rebounder) that's not afraid to get right in the middle of a scrum (or dive on the floor), and fight for a rebound or loose ball). This is why Collier is one of my two favorite players. I like ALL of our girls, but her and Crystal are my favorites. I'm extremely happy they chose to come to UConn. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
I have always said from the day that she arrived on campus that she was the steal of the class. TonyC and I have discussed many times...I have been consistent that I believed she would have a break-out season if she could be healthy and if she could break the starting line-up.

You sir are a "seer". It takes one to know one. It's a gift not everyone is blessed with. It's like common sense. It's like Crystal being able to "see" the floor in ways other guards can't. It's not something you can't teach. You either have "IT", or you don't. UConn is very lucky to have Collier. Geno and staff picked a good one when they targeted her, who before she leaves will be a great one. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
ONLY 2 favorites---I started out KLS, then I loved Collier--then Gabby--then big time Dangerfield--fickle??? No --I want them all--Bench and all. Happy Thanksgiving Carnac, have a great holiday. Each and all.

Yes, only two. I like them all, and I root and cheer for them equally. But.............you can only have so many favorites. EVERYBODY can't be your favorite. Favorites are a little extra special. I'm a BIG Gabby fan too. :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
@JavaMan , you beat me to it with your Avatar, but I will stick to my plan and wait until after Thanksgiving to make my Holiday avatar mod.

Until then, a happy Thanksgiving weekend to you and yours.

So Biff, are we going to see Gort don a Santa hat?? Somehow I never thought of Gort being capable of having the Christmas "spirit". :eek:

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
So Biff, are we going to see Gort don a Santa hat?? Somehow I never thought of Gort being capable of having the Christmas "spirit". :eek:
Indeed Gort is noted for his Holiday Spirit throughout the Galaxy. It isn't widely known but the actual translation of "Klaatu Barada Nikto" is Merry Christmas Everyone!

Reaction Score
Yes, only two. I like them all, and I root and cheer for them equally. But...you can only have so many favorites. EVERYBODY can't be your favorite. Favorites are a little extra special. I'm a BIG Gabby fan too. :cool:
I deg to Biffer with you---I started last year prior to the season telling you how great Collier was in the USA and this kid that reminded me of Moriah. Both apparently are now your FAV's. Collier in the USA did what she is doing now--making that quick attack of the basket--why she didn't do that last year/// Only Geno knows. Dangerfield played well at FSU and beyond her years with Baylor--in the USA's she was AlWAYS the youngest and usually their point guard-- I can make a point for your Fav's being those 2. Then you look at Gabby --she gets 4 ft off the floor with a straight up leap--scores from the 3, is quicker than grease lightning, steals as quick as a NY thief,and handles the ball as good as any uC guard (except)--how can you pass her by?? Katie Lou, 29 points 26 points, 14 points--from every location, rebounds , jumpers, defends---what could she have done to engender herself??
So you don't have to worry that those other uconn kids aren't getting enough love---they'll get it from ME.
But don't hug Dangerfield and Napheesa too tightly--no bruising--both will provide you with some ups and downs --until near the end of March--neither are the finished product.

Reaction Score
Pheese has that fade-away turn around jumper with a soft touch in the lane that you dont see alot of womens players use that will frustrate the bigger post trying to defend her the next 3 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom