Naming Rights to the Rent? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Naming Rights to the Rent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Saw this photo

Note the lack of class tweet by Leigh Torbin, the Assistant Media Relations Director for the Athletic Department of Notre Dame.

How the hell does a guy who represents Notre Dame get away with that? He should be sacked (fired).

Reaction Score
Gotta love it...the ONLY reason that stadium is there is because of UCONN football....the state taxpayers paid for it...AND now the CRDA runs it...charges the State a rental fee per game...and can't even get things right to manage it.

I've pointed this out several times.

There is a HUGE advantage to having the Ownership of the Stadium structured as a Public Authority. Given just basic attendance - and certainly far more when we were selling out in Mid - Edsall - we easily have a financing structure to expand the Stadium just on a refinance of the original Authority. Needless to say ... our Net Income is certainly exceeding the projections done in 2001/2002 and Interest rates are down = therefore you can raise more dollars than you did in 2001/2002.

The dollars for the expansion have always been easy. The Will? Whenever they wanted to do it.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Saw this photo

Note the lack of class tweet by Leigh Torbin, the Assistant Media Relations Director for the Athletic Department of Notre Dame.

How the hell does a guy who represents Notre Dame get away with that? He should be sacked (fired).

What a d0uche. I like the responses he's gotten so far.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I couldn't care less if the stadium was named "Dooley Has A Small Pen1s Stadium at Renstchler Field". As long as it is seen as a viable stadium to host power conference football games, they can name it whatever they want. Adding enough land to accommodate an additional 10,000 fans + pre-installed stadium footings = a venue that can do just that.

Reaction Score
This may sound harsh, but based on the timing and the general renderings on the stadium, not sure how they could have generated any less interest in this story. Wow... From a marketing standpoint, its too bad a consumer product or services company didn't sign on (Dunkin Donuts, Insurance.co., etc...). A company that largely is a defense contractor gets nothing out of this but goodwill (maybe) for their workforce, and engines they sell to for-profit companies. Nothing here looks or spells big-time college football to me. I can't imagine the dollars here are anything huge either. What a wasted opportunity for the State of Connecticut.
Don't have to pay taxes on 25 acres.

Reaction Score
jostar1 said:
Saw this photo 621762028718411776 Note the lack of class tweet by Leigh Torbin, the Assistant Media Relations Director for the Athletic Department of Notre Dame. How the hell does a guy who represents Notre Dame get away with that? He should be sacked (fired).

Not sure if this will make a difference for you, but he used to work at UConn. Also, he kind of has a point.

Reaction Score
Saw this photo

He delete the tweet. I can't seem to see it anymore. What did he say?

Dooley

Reaction Score

He wrote something along the lines of not using a picture of our QB about to be sacked. A few of us took exception, thinking that he was taking a dig at UConn, and posted some pics/videos in reply. He later tweeted that he used to work at UConn and didn't mean anything by it. It's all good now, especially if he deleted the tweet. We UConn fans are a sensitive bunch.

Reaction Score
It's still there. Click on "View Photo". I see he answered.

Leigh Torbin ‏@LTorbin 5h5 hours ago
@FieldRentschler Do you have a photo where UConn’s QB isn’t about to get sacked? #GoHuskies

Leigh Torbin ‏@LTorbin 50m50 minutes ago
@hancox_uconn Sorry folks, wasn’t taking a shot at UConn. I worked there for six years. Still love it. Just disappointed at photo choice.

Reaction Score
Yeah he was pretty accurate there. Just a sore spot for us lately and not a great picture choice.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Not trying to be a downer - but a wise man once said "let's not start s---ing each other's d---'s just yet".

This deal is a good thing, and I'll leave it at that. Any further implications are... Tenuous.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
A company that largely is a defense contractor gets nothing out of this but goodwill (maybe) for their workforce, and engines they sell to for-profit companies.

You do know that this isn't the only D-1 stadium where UTC has the naming rights, don't you?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Pretty hot take for someone who likely knows none of the contract terms.
Also, I'm not sure "interesting" naming rights exactly spells out "big-time college football." Prestige and blue blood are not the first ideas to pop into my head when I think of a hypothetical Dunkin Donuts Field.

I agree. The stadium of the team that took our spot in the ACC is named after a doosh bag. Didn't seem to be an issue. I don't know the terms, but as far as just the name goes it's great. A world acknowledged leader in their industry sponsors a stadium in their same town is a problem, how?

Reaction Score
My own number has always been 57,500-60,000 final build out.
I'm with you there. My utopian goal was & is 65,000 which was the figure for the aborted Adrien's Landing Stadium. I would take 55-60,000 in a heartbeat. Anything less is useless. And remember, these capacities mean total souls in the venue for fire code purposes. The RENT's current capacity of 40,000 is actually seating for 38,500. The balance is service, police, & fire dept. personnel headcounts. So, a figure of 60,000 could actually be seating for 56,000.

Reaction Score
How the hell do we need an additional 25 acres of parking?! The parking lots are rarely full as it is... ? Unless it's for further economic development.
Hey, look at the bright side. At least, until stadium expansion is a fait accompli, our kids might now have a "designated area" to throw around a football without interference from the tennis ball Nazis.

Reaction Score
In an ironic twist of fate, this announcement could be a p.r. boon for UConn Football. Officially, this news came out on the 90th Anniversary of Pratt's founding. In actuality, it comes during the MLB All-Star break, a "Slow news" day for the sports media. So, it might actually get some national recognition on the nation's sports pages & sports casts. Hey, ANY publicity is good publicity for this program.

Reaction Score
70,000 showed up at Lambeau today to not watch a game. Insane.

Attachments

• image-2594194063.jpg
    image-2594194063.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 59

Dooley

Reaction Score
70,000 showed up at Lambeau today to not watch a game. Insane.

I wonder if the Packers will retire, un-retire, re-retire, re-unretire, then officially retire his number in his honour.

Reaction Score
Dooley said:
I wonder if the Packers will retire, un-retire, re-retire, re-unretire, then officially retire his number in his honour.

That would be great. Dorsey is in the house.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I'm with you there. My utopian goal was & is 65,000 which was the figure for the aborted Adrien's Landing Stadium. I would take 55-60,000 in a heartbeat. Anything less is useless. And remember, these capacities mean total souls in the venue for fire code purposes. The RENT's current capacity of 40,000 is actually seating for 38,500. The balance is service, police, & fire dept. personnel headcounts. So, a figure of 60,000 could actually be seating for 56,000.
I'd say 52,455. One more than 52,454, the capacity of High Point Solutions stadium (Rutgers) .

Reaction Score
In an ironic twist of fate, this announcement could be a p.r. boon for UConn Football. Officially, this news came out on the 90th Anniversary of Pratt's founding. In actuality, it comes during the MLB All-Star break, a "Slow news" day for the sports media. So, it might actually get some national recognition on the nation's sports pages & sports casts. Hey, ANY publicity is good publicity for this program.
They need publicity like, "UConn wins opener", "UConn outflanks Army", "UConn sinks Navy", "The fur flies as the Huskies and Tigers collide". "UConn's winning streak continues with a stunner over BYU", "Huskies claw #15 Cincinnati 29-17"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom