name your top 10 huskies of all time | The Boneyard

name your top 10 huskies of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
patdrew28 said:
Do shabazz and kemba compare to rip and ray

From our past Mt. Rushmore/Top 5 discussions. I believe you'd find Kemba, Napier, Rip, Okafor, Ray as the top five if you disregard positions. Those are the four alphas on our national title teams and the greatest pro we've ever had. If you go by position, you'd get Donyell and Toby Kimball in the discussion at the four and disagreement as to which of our guards comes out. So I think they would clearly be top 10. Caron gets a lot of love as well so I think he'd be a consensus top 10, which gets us to eight.

From there, things would diverge a bit. You'd have Wes B, Tony Hanson, Cliff Robinson, Chris Smith, Khalid, Ben Gordon and maybe some votes for Rudy. Perhaps a stray vote for a personal favorite - Nadav, Jeff Adrien, AJ Price, Sheffer, or Ricky or Lyman if you are fielding a roster to actually play a game and you want a defensive stopper, Thabeet if you want more interior defense, or Rashad if you want a designated sniper.

Personally, I'd go the eight listed above, with Chris Smith and Ben Gordon edging out KEA in a really tough call. Nadav would be on mine if he played one more year - maybe my favorite player to watch.

Last edited:

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
In no order

Kea
Ray
Doron
Kemba
Shabbazz
Kfree
Donyell
Msg
Rashad Anderson
Rip

I'm 33 so say what u want about bias. Really wanted to put fair, boat, and giff Adrien on this list though.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
In no order

Kea
Ray
Doron
Kemba
Shabbazz
Kfree
Donyell
Msg
Rashad Anderson
Rip

I'm 33 so say what u want about bias. Really wanted to put fair, boat, and giff Adrien on this list though.
Remove Doron and add Oak and that would be my list.

Reaction Score
jleves said:
Remove Doron and add Oak and that would be my list.

Are you removing Doron instead of KFree or Rashad because they one ships or because you think they were better?

Doron was a far superior basketball player to either, especially Rashad.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Are you removing Doron instead of KFree or Rashad because they one ships or because you think they were better?

Nothing to do best players in my list. Just who I most enjoyed watching and rooting for.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

Favorite players. I'd like to find a spot for Butler too.

Reaction Score
was having an argument about whether shabazz was better than Gordon. What do you think

Reaction Score
Impossible list. Smitty was not a scrub and could hold his own to anyone named. Is he still the top scoring Husky?

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
We should make a list of our favorite 10 non-star Huskies.

Shad, Gavin Edwards, Niels, Denham, Taliek, Austrie, and Stanley Robinson come to mind. Then I have guys who I just loved regardless of their shortcomings like Chuck Okwandu, Wiggins, and Enosch, mostly because they made me laugh.

Reaction Score
I think the top 5 must include Shabazz, Kemba, Rip, Ray, and Emeka in any order with Donyell a very close sixth. Beyond that, you can make a case for a lot of players which makes this fun. Rounding out my top 10 would be Ben Gordon, Khalid, Chris Smith, and Rashad Anderson.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
Those that won championships.
KEA, Rip
EO, Ben
Kemba
Shabazz

Followed by Ray, Caron, Donyell, and Talik Brown, who was one hell of a tough point guard.

Reaction Score
Don't forget Toby Kimball. No other Husky led the nation in anything,

Reaction Score
Mau - thanks for mentioning Cal Chapman. Perhaps a little over the top, but I've always thought Cal C was under appreciated and in some ways was the key to getting UCONN back on the winning track after a couple of down years. Most folks on this Board are too young to know his name much less what Cal C did for UCONN. Another player on that team, not as good as Cal C, was Gary Custic. Tony Hanson replaced Gary as a starter about midway through Tony's freshman year. I'm too lazy to look it up but I think Gary Custic finished up with 999 points.

Reaction Score
Nowhere near as talented as Ray Ray, but I put Kemba at 1 on my list. Simply put, his energy and enthusiasm were infectious, and nobody had the ability to put a team on his back like Kemba. When he got drafted, I lost a bet, b/c I said he'd be top 9, and a poor man's Iverson.

After that, I'll stay with championship winners for a couple more. I give the edge to Rip over Emeka. I remember watching the '99 title as a student, and while UConn was a very, very good team, they beat a loaded Duke team.

Emeka was the most beloved player I've seen from a title team after Kemba. He provided amazing quotes - "this big orange thing was floating and asked me to grab it" - or something like that. Emeka played on the most talented team UConn has assembled.

Next I put Ray. We knew we had something special with him, just the cards didn't fall into place for a title.

I feel obligated to list Shabazz next. For some reason, I never thought he could lead a team in a Kemba like manner. I really didn't see it. I saw that whe tourney, and it took until the Mich St game to believe. If I had ever posted (which I didn't) my doubts of him, I would feel the need to apologize.

The old school guys are impossible for me to guage. I leave them off only for that reason.

6-10

donyell
Caron
Smitty
Gordon
Scott Burrell (only b/c nobody ever credits the guy for assisting the shot, that, and I'll never forget him hitting a 38 footer before halftime (with enough time that it wasn't necessary).

Reaction Score
In no order- Shabazz, Kemba, Okafor, Rip, Donyell, Allen, Caron, Selvie, El-Amin, Chris Smith.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Kemba
Bazz
MSG
Meka
Butler
RIP
Special K
Ray Ray
Donyell
Toby

Rudy would make the list based on his pro career, and AD based on what his future will bring, but neither belong based on their college careers

Reaction Score
Mau - thanks for mentioning Cal Chapman. Perhaps a little over the top, but I've always thought Cal C was under appreciated and in some ways was the key to getting UCONN back on the winning track after a couple of down years. Most folks on this Board are too young to know his name much less what Cal C did for UCONN. Another player on that team, not as good as Cal C, was Gary Custic. Tony Hanson replaced Gary as a starter about midway through Tony's freshman year. I'm too lazy to look it up but I think Gary Custic finished up with 999 points.

Gary Custic also a guy I liked and appreciated, I agree. Tony must have been one of the first classes that allowed freshman to play or was it a bit earlier? Speaking of too lazy to look it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom