Bill Corley
Tony Hanson
Nadav Henefeld
Earl Kelley
Chris Smith

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Man, just 10? I really like some of the nuts and blots kinda guys. Mostly when we had that #4/5 guy who was mean and out hustled everyone. Ed Dirty Water Saunders, Easy Ed Nelson, Freeman, Johnny Turnover Selvie, Dan Cyrulik, Boo Wilingham, Souley. Ive always felt that those guys meant as much to a team as those who scored night in and night out. Then there were the guys that came off the bench like Brian Fair, Rash Jones, Lasan Kromah that meant a lot to the team as well.

Reaction Score
Without a doubt. More skilled no. Better uconn player yes.

Perfectly said... Ben might have been pound for pound the most talented player we've ever had. He could do absolutely everything on a basketball court. I'm still surprised that he wasn't a perennial all-star and 20+ ppg scorer. However, Shabazz was more important as a UConn player as a major factor on one title team and the unquestioned leader, best player, and absolute rock of another one.

Reaction Score
In no order

Kea
Ray
Doron
Kemba
Shabbazz
Kfree
Donyell
Msg
Rashad Anderson
Rip

I'm 33 so say what u want about bias. Really wanted to put fair, boat, and giff Adrien on this list though.
Rashad and those dagger shots bring back fond memories. He was truly a 3pt assassin. Glad to see his name mentioned. Of course hard to argue with Rip and Kemba and Napier for their clutch and consistent play. Or the absolute swag that el Amin showed us especially those last second foul shots in Duke championship game. I may have read it here or somewhere else that Calhoun requested the inbound pass go to Khalid rather then Rip, not because he didn't think Rip would make the foul shots but because he knew Khalid would.

Reaction Score
was having an argument about whether shabazz was better than Gordon. What do you think
Almost an impossible question to answer. But under sodium pentothal I would say Shabazz as he carried so much of the load single-handedly. Yes Boat contributed lots but Napier carried so much on his own and lead the team physically and psychologically to the championship. Sad part is Boat did almost what Napier did but he had zero support players to close during most of season

Reaction Score
Chris Smith and Wes B. should be on that list and possibly Tony Hanson.

Reaction Score
was having an argument about whether shabazz was better than Gordon. What do you think
Next to Rip, my all time favorite Huskies are Shabazz, Kemba and Boat based on heart, how hard they played and that they were able to put less talented teams on their backs and carry them to unexpected runs to the promised land. However, Gordon averaged 20 pts., 5 assts., 4rbs., and 21pts., 5rbs., 5assts. his soph. And jr. Years respectively in an era when the Big East was loaded with All Americans and top 25 teams. When Ben played and you tuned in to watch the Huskies play a mid level program, such as Houston or Temple, the game was a formality as the talent the Huskies had on floor guaranteed a W. They were beating teams by 40, and would have never have been run out of the gym by 40 to the likes of Louisville. Of the 4 NC's, 2004 was the only year that they not only won the tourney, but they were rwithout argument, after beating Duke, the best team in college basketball. Gordon went on to be the 3rd overall pick in the NBA draft, which proved to be no fluke as he was on the first team all rookie team, won the 6th man of the year award and finished his career with the Bulls 2nd all time in 3 pointers. I love Shabazz, even named my pet fish after him, but clearly Gentle Ben was the better basketball player.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Can't do it~! I would need at least 3 different lists of players; one for heart & hustle, one for leadership & one for those who have given the most back to the program. Some of the same names would appear on all 3 lists, but not too many...

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
Gotta be Bazz, Giffey, DeAndre, Adrien, Caron, KEA, Ray, Rip, Charlie V, and Ben G.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Remember, you asked for favorites, not the best. These are the guys who I enjoyed watching the most over the last eon.
  1. Emeka
  2. Kemba
  3. Bazz
  4. Ricky
  5. Ray
  6. Caron
  7. Rip
  8. Thabeet
  9. Toby Kimball
  10. Jeff Adrien
Funny thing, I used to have a "Husky Hall of Fame" on my website. Last updated a year or so after the 2nd NC, I think. After I wrote this reply, I went looking for the old list, to see how much things have changed in a decade or so. There's only 4 players since then that have moved into my top 10. And Ben Gordon has inexplicably dropped all the way from fourth to somewhere outside my top ten.

Here's a link, if anyone's interested in checking it out.

And while I was wandering around the archives there, I found this, which I still can't disagree with. Not directly related to this post, but someone may find it interesting.

Reaction Score
Kemba, Rip, Ray, Donyell, Bazz, Ben, Okafor, Robinson, Dove, Khalid

Reaction Score
Those that won championships.
KEA, Rip
EO, Ben
Kemba
Shabazz

Followed by Ray, Caron, Donyell, and Talik Brown, who was one hell of a tough point guard.

Taliek Brown won a championship, so if he's on your list, he should be in that section. But, he should be nowhere near this list.

I'm 32, so I'm not going to include the Toby Kimball's and Wes B.'s of the world as I never saw them play. My list, in no particular order.

Kemba
Bazz
Rip
Ray
Donyell
Emeka
Gordon
Caron
KEA

Last spot is extremely tough. Chris Smith? Honestly, I was too young when he was playing to really make an assessment on him. Sheffer? AJ Price? Johnnie Selvie? The last spot is hard, but these top 9 are no brainers for me.

Reaction Score
Taliek Brown won a championship, so if he's on your list, he should be in that section. But, he should be nowhere near this list.

I'm 32, so I'm not going to include the Toby Kimball's and Wes B.'s of the world as I never saw them play. My list, in no particular order.

Kemba
Bazz
Rip
Ray
Donyell
Emeka
Gordon
Caron
KEA

Last spot is extremely tough. Chris Smith? Honestly, I was too young when he was playing to really make an assessment on him. Sheffer? AJ Price? Johnnie Selvie? The last spot is hard, but these top 9 are no brainers for me.

I turn 32 next month, and your list is nearly identical to mine, excepting that I did watch Smith and would put him in that 10th spot.

Reaction Score
Can't argue on the carrying of the load, but I think Gentle Ben was more talented than Bazz. If Gordon were on a team that didn't have at least four other players who'd end up in the NBA, how many points do you think he would have scored? And he still ended up with a lot.
Almost an impossible question to answer. But under sodium pentothal I would say Shabazz as he carried so much of the load single-handedly. Yes Boat contributed lots but Napier carried so much on his own and lead the team physically and psychologically to the championship. Sad part is Boat did almost what Napier did but he had zero support players to close during most of season[/QUOTE

Reaction Score
I turn 32 next month, and your list is nearly identical to mine, excepting that I did watch Smith and would put him in that 10th spot.

Beautiful! I did watch Smith as well, but was obviously pretty young so it's hard for me to remember exactly how I would compare him to some of these others. I'm comfortable putting him #10 on the list.

Reaction Score
We should make a list of our favorite 10 non-star Huskies.

Shad, Gavin Edwards, Niels, Denham, Taliek, Austrie, and Stanley Robinson come to mind. Then I have guys who I just loved regardless of their shortcomings like Chuck Okwandu, Wiggins, and Enosch, mostly because they made me laugh.

My non stars list include: Taliek, Niels, Rudy Johnson, Rahad Anderson, Charlie V. . Terry Coffey, Willie McCloud

Also how about your favorite short term(no term) Huskies: Phil Dixon, Sam Funches. Marcus Cox

Reaction Score
Look -- we had six who were national player of the year or first team All America candidates: Ray, Rip, Donyell, Shabazz, Kemba and Okafor. That's six. Personally, I don't think there is much of an argument that CAron is in the next 4. That's seven.

At that point, it becomes incredibly debatable and incredibly variable based on the criteria. I think it's hard to include anyone pre-Calhoun because they didn't play at the same competitive level, with the exception of Toby Kimball whose NBA career has to get him on the list. So the last three would come from Kimball, Cliff Robinson, KEA, Chris Smith, Sheffer, Donny Marshall, Ben Gordon, Josh Boone, Rudy Gay, A.J. Price, Thabeet and Jeff Adrien. Beyond that, you're not in the top ten. My last three -- Gordon, Gay and Smitty. But I can't believe people aren't considering Thabeet.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
businesslawyer said:
Look -- we had six who were national player of the year or first team All America candidates: Ray, Rip, Donyell, Shabazz, Kemba and Okafor. That's six. Personally, I don't think there is much of an argument that CAron is in the next 4. That's seven.

At that point, it becomes incredibly debatable and incredibly variable based on the criteria. I think it's hard to include anyone pre-Calhoun because they didn't play at the same competitive level, with the exception of Toby Kimball whose NBA career has to get him on the list. So the last three would come from Kimball, Cliff Robinson, KEA, Chris Smith, Sheffer, Donny Marshall, Ben Gordon, Josh Boone, Rudy Gay, A.J. Price, Thabeet and Jeff Adrien. Beyond that, you're not in the top ten. My last three -- Gordon, Gay and Smitty. But I can't believe people aren't considering Thabeet.

Cliff, Gordon and Gay by a neck over Smith for the last spot.

As good as the other guys were, none were the alpha dog during their years at UConn and I say that believing Sheffer was the best non-title winning PG we've every had.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Cliff, Gordon and Gay by a neck over Smith for the last spot.

As good as the other guys were, none were the alpha dog during their years at UConn and I say that believing Sheffer was the best non-title winning PG we've every had.
Better than Kevin Ollie? I gotta say, I am very surprised that HE isn't on this list.

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
As a player? He was a solid PG, but nowhere near any sort of rational top-10 list.
I thought he was one of the guys, like Kemba & Bazz who made everyone else on the team better.

Reaction Score
I thought he was one of the guys, like Kemba & Bazz who made everyone else on the team better.

I don't think he's even close to either of those guys. He definitely wasn't as good a player as Sheffer. Sheffer, Allen, and Knight all had their best seasons immediately after Ollie graduated, so I'd be hard-pressed to find the argument that he made them better.

Reaction Score
In There Own Stratosphere To Me:
1. Kemba (Started this latest, (apologies to KEA) new chapter of great scoring points
2. Bazz (GOAT to me with 2 NCs)
3. Ben Gordon (could do it all, remember Gentle Ben morphing into the guy carrying them in '04?)

1A
4. Emeka (so dominant, such a great ambassador for us, but I love guards that can shoot)
5. Ray Ray (the shot in the BET with the legs out - he's the reason this Pennsylvania kid started pulling for the Huskies when I was at Penn State)

Best of the Rest
6. Khalid El Amin
7. Sticks
8. Hasheem (what an improvement over the years)
9. Rashad (Onions, the shot against Dook with a few mins left to get us close in the Final Four)

Misc.
10. Tony Robertson - I thought he could've been an all-time great had he laid off the weed!

To me, this program is all about my respect and admiration for JC.

Even today, his legacy lives through KO. I love our head coaches even more than the players listed above - what they stand for and what they have weaved into the kids that wear Husky uniforms - the lack of entitlement but work harder mentality, the mental toughness in the pressure-packed moments - so many of the things that have made us successful.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is this a favorite players list? If so,

1) Rip
2) Shabazz
3) Caron
4) KEA
5) Kemba
6) Ray
7) Okafor
8) Chris Smith
9) Donyell
10) Donny

Reaction Score

KO was a good point who made people around him better. But he's not anywhere near a list of the top ten UConn players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom