Name the National Championship Trophy after Pat | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Name the National Championship Trophy after Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
first of all, i assume it's an April Fool's joke. that would make the most sense to me. however, if it's a serious idea...

i'm with JS, Semper, Tony and others who say no way. emphatically. they can name their court after her. or they can name an end of season award after her (like Nancy Lieberman award). this is the national championship we are talking about, and Pat has not been the "best" since Geno burst onto the scene in 1995. but that's beside the point.

ALL teams are playing for a National Championship. they aren't playing for "Pat's award". there are many other ways to honor her that don't involve changing the name or theme of the National Championship. How about we change the name of the NCAA Football Championship to the "Paterno Bowl", and the NCAA Men's Championship to the "Wooden Championship"? Naming the NCAA women's championship trophy after Pat is just as silly.

There is a Wooden award out there already. there can be a Summitt award on the women's side. If they wanted to change the name of the Naismith award to the Summitt award i'd be fine with that. but no way, no how on the NCAA championship. i hope it gets zero traction.

and by the way, while i lost all respect for Pat for the way she handled UCONN and Geno in the past with the lies and accusations, i can certainly be of "two minds" and have a great deal of compassion for what she's going thru, as well as an appreciation for what she accomplished as a HC in WCBB. but just because she's ill does not change the fact that she was out of control for a number of years going after UCONN, and Geno personally.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Yeah if Pat were just retiring, no one would be making a big deal about it at all. It'd be a total non-event.

He said nothing even approaching her retirement wouldn't be a big deal. Why muddy the waters?

There's obviously a difference of opinion about Paige's push. Actually naming the NC in PHS' honor also would cause dissension in general. Who needs that?

Indeed, by proposing this, Paige has simply opened new opportunities to take swipes at her. This is NOT putting everything in the past, "getting over it" or "letting bygones be bygones" nor any similar weak salve.

For myself, until she explains exactly what all that dung-slinging targeting UConn really entailed, and apologises if it turns out it was what many here have spectulated, I'm not willing to forgive her. Forget her -- no problem. Woody and his sympathizers help revive my memory, though.

If it comes out that Geno/UConn in fact deserved to be dunged upon, I'd humbly offer my apologies for such posts as this one.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
He said nothing even approaching her retirement wouldn't be a big deal. Why muddy the waters?

There's obviously a difference of opinion about Paige's push. Actually naming the NC in PHS' honor also would cause dissension in general. Who needs that?

Indeed, by proposing this, Paige has simply opened new opportunities to take swipes a her. This is NOT putting everything in the past, "getting over it" or "letting bygones be bygones" nor any similar weak salve.

For myself, until she explains exactly what all that dung-slinging targeting UConn really entailed, and apologises if it turns out t was what many here have spectulated, I'm not willing to forgive her. Forget her -- no problem. Woody and his sympathizers help revive my memory, though.

If it comes out that Geno/UConn in fact deserved to be dunged upon, I'd humbly offer my apologies for such posts as this one.
That's pretty much what was said- that the ony reason people are suggesting this kind of recognition for Pat Summitt has to do with the circumstances under which her career is coming to an end, not that it's coming to an end, period.

Geno has long since moved on from this. UConn was not hurt one iota, nor was Geno. He's been to five consecutive Final Fours, won two NCs, won 90 games in a row, been named coach of Team USA, and continues to pick up prized recruits like trinkets at a dollar store.

The WCBB community in general does not make decisions of this sort solely to placate the hurt feelings of UConn fans, and I suspect that Pat will be honored and recognized in many significant ways on her way out.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
alexrgct, post:

... UConn was not hurt one iota, nor was Geno.
[/quote]

100% speculation, and my guess is it's wrong.

And in any case, that would seem to have been the intent: to hurt UConn/Geno

Reaction Score
I like the idea. The points pro and con are all good. Hard to argue against them.

Reaction Score
Wow... Pat Summitt is an accomplished coach. She has done many great things for womens basketball. That said...... I absolutely oppose this idea. Why now? What is the reason? Why not the Kay Yow NCAA title? What about those Oklahoma State coaches who died in the plane crash? Maggie Dixon? could keep going on....

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
And if Geno himself suggests and supports the idea of naming the Div. 1 NC or COY trophy after Pat then how does it affect folks thoughts?

Reaction Score
I personally think that naming the National Championship trophy after her is a very very bad idea. She was the attractive young coach in the new era of women's basketball with a lot of energy and she used that along with wonderful facilities to help create somewhat of a dynasty. She probably wasn't the best coach even at that time but because she was in the right place at the right time she capitalized and got the cream of the crop insofar as recruits are concerned. Through some hard work and some luck, she became the big name in women's college basketball and dominated. When a young buck with a great associate coach came to a regional school with lousy facilities and in a span of about five years made them a very viable team and within ten an unbeaten national champion, Summit's deity suffered a big hit. Instead of being gratious, she turned into a spiteful person who in the face of Geno's success started defaming him with ridiculous charges. If she were this wonderful deity, deserving of having her name on the Holy Grail, we would never have heard what we heard out of her and her university. Maybe some of that is attributable to the early onset of her disease but I don't think so. After all the years of adulation, she couldn't handle someone rising up to her success level and knowing that inevitably he would overtake her as the face of women's basketball. NO WAY, JOSE! This is not to say she is some horrible witch as I'm sure she's done some really nice things for the university, for the kids, and for woman's basketball but so hasn't Geno and a host of other people who didn't stoop to what she did in her later years.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
If any name goes on the trophy it will be something like "Jiffy Lube".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why did I just think about the Texas coaching thread?:oops:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
pap49cba said:
If any name goes on the trophy it will be something like "Jiffy Lube".
pinot said, "Why did I just think about the Texas coaching thread?"

Sadly that is the way a name is most likely to end up on the trophy today.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
And if Geno himself suggests and supports the idea of naming the Div. 1 NC or COY trophy after Pat then how does it affect folks thoughts?

Would not affect my thoughts a jot. And what Geno thinks should be irrelevant to the NCAA as well, in this regard.

Besides, if this were put to him, he off course would take the PC, diplomatic compassionate course. Can't come across as angry and unforgiving, like we can here.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Would not affect my thoughts a jot. And what Geno thinks should be irrelevant to the NCAA as well, in this regard.

Besides, if this were put to him, he off course would take the PC, diplomatic compassionate course. Can't come across as angry and unforgiving, like we can here.
My point is simply that some are still holding something that it appears for all intents and purposes Geno has moved beyond. I, also, contend much of the mess was based in the early onset of Pat's illness.

I think it is very legitimate to contend that no name should go on the trophy although I have little doubt at some point some commercial label will reside there. I am not sure making arguments on the basis a potentially compromised person's actions is sound.

Reaction Score

It doesn't. Unlike other fan bases, we don't have blind devotion to our coach. He has said things I've disagreed with in the past, and I'm sure he will again in the future.

I'm with eric - I don't like the idea of naming a championship trophy after anyone. Not even Mother Teresa.

Reaction Score
Yeah if Pat were just retiring, no one would be making a big deal about it at all. It'd be a total non-event.

It certainly would be a big deal, WCBB/ESPN would make a big deal out of it, as they should.

But they wouldn't be suggesting renaming the National Championship after her...they didn't rename the men's championship for Wooden or Rupp. Nascar doesn't call the Sprint cup championship the Earnhardt award. Does that make my opinion clearer for you?

Reaction Score

Indeed, by proposing this, Paige has simply opened new opportunities to take swipes at her. This is NOT putting everything in the past, "getting over it" or "letting bygones be bygones" nor any similar weak salve.

For myself, until she explains exactly what all that dung-slinging targeting UConn really entailed, and apologises if it turns out it was what many here have spectulated, I'm not willing to forgive her. Forget her -- no problem. Woody and his sympathizers help revive my memory, though.

Thats not what I said at all, but that is the way you choose to interpret it because it better supports your position and agenda.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Name a regional for PHS. East, West, and the other two -- South?, Midwest? -- don't reflect who plays in them, after all.

Then, ta-da, name one for Geno. And the other two for whatever coach is next in line in # if NCs? Tara has two? Anyone match or exceed her? If not, perhaps Mulkey of McGraw will match this year, or Tara could reach 3.

And when someone eclipses an incumbent — regional name change. Otherwise, names stay, those who tie an incumbent are outa luck.

This is nuts, of course. And, thankfully, they've already dumped the compass-direction naming pattern -- not that city names are a bunch better.

Reaction Score
Not a real bad idea but not a real good one either. Emotions and thought train being lead by heart strings........

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
My point is simply that some are still holding something that it appears for all intents and purposes Geno has moved beyond. I, also, contend much of the mess was based in the early onset of Pat's illness.

I think it is very legitimate to contend that no name should go on the trophy although I have little doubt at some point some commercial label will reside there. I am not sure making arguments on the basis a potentially compromised person's actions is sound.
what does being opposed to the idea have anything to do with moving on? the fact that i have no respect for Pat as she went after Geno and UCONN all those years has zero to do with it (her name being on the NC trophy).

if someone commits murder and the family forgives the crime, does that mean everyone else moves on from it? no. the murder is left to sit in jail for many years for his/her crimes. of course i'm not equating what Pat did to murder, but i'd say most all of us have moved on. it's not like we as fans sit around stewing about all the crap Pat pulled on UCONN and Geno. having said that, when the subject comes up, it gets discussed. the fact that people actually remember what she said and did is hardly "holding on".

and btw, if the mess was created by the early onset of Pat's illness, then she should come out and publicly apologize to Geno for what she did. that certainly would be the right thing to do. if what you suggested is true, i would certainly feel differently if her smear and attack campaign was the result of a mental illness.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
what does being opposed to the idea have anything to do with moving on? the fact that i have no respect for Pat as she went after Geno and UCONN all those years has zero to do with it (her name being on the NC trophy).

if someone commits murder and the family forgives the crime, does that mean everyone else moves on from it? no. the murder is left to sit in jail for many years for his/her crimes. of course i'm not equating what Pat did to murder, but i'd say most all of us have moved on. it's not like we as fans sit around stewing about all the crap Pat pulled on UCONN and Geno. having said that, when the subject comes up, it gets discussed. the fact that people actually remember what she said and did is hardly "holding on".

and btw, if the mess was created by the early onset of Pat's illness, then she should come out and publicly apologize to Geno for what she did. that certainly would be the right thing to do. if what you suggested is true, i would certainly feel differently if her smear and attack campaign was the result of a mental illness.
eric, read what I said. Fact is neither you or I know what went down. It was never prosecuted by the NCAA and neither Geno nor Pat has spoken. It may well have been the result of the onset of Pat's disease. Paranoia is one expression of Alzheimer's.

Comparing it to a capital crime is simply ridiculous.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
eric, read what I said. Fact is neither you or I know what went down. It was never prosecuted by the NCAA and neither Geno nor Pat has spoken. It may well have been the result of the onset of Pat's disease. Paranoia is one expression of Alzheimer's.

Comparing it to a capital crime is simply ridiculous.
ice, how about you read what i wrote. i was not comparing the crime. in fact i even said so. please read before you post. thanks!!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
ice, how about you read what i wrote. i was not comparing the crime. in fact i even said so. please read before you post. thanks!!
Except you did exactly that. It wasn't even necessary to bring it in.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Except you did exactly that. It wasn't even necessary to bring it in.
i most certainly did not. please stop with this. perhaps you are moody because we lost. but don't take it out on me.

Reaction Score
A championship win is a team win. I don't think the trophy should be named after any individual.

I think an award to be given in her name would be most appropriate.

Reaction Score
Woody Paige - Link

Would be hard to argue against it, if the NCAA decides to do it.
To my knowledge no NCAA championship trophy is named after anyone. Not John Wooden on the men's side, not Bear Bryant in Football, not even the Trinity squash coach. What if Geno wins 6 more (hopefully), and had something bad happen to him (hopefully not) would you change the name. Her place in history is secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom