Name the National Championship Trophy after Pat | The Boneyard

Name the National Championship Trophy after Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllAmerRedHeads

Barnstorming America author
Reaction Score
Wonderful idea, this sport and womens sports overall have much to thank Pat for.

JS

Reaction Score
No. I don't respond negatively to the idea (though I'd lean against) so much as to some of the reasons advanced for it in this article.

The "winningest and best" is only half true. She's not the best and hasn't been for a long time. She is/has been a great recruiter and master motivator. She was outstanding at coaching certain aspects of the game (defense, rebounding) but never, at her best, was as brilliant overall as Geno especially, and a few others.

And she has no special claim to association with the National Championship either directly (Geno will equal and then surpass her record on that in the not so distant future) or by general weight of accomplishment (latter point more arguable).

And the final thing that sticks in my craw is the "Geno waged a war of words to which she didn't respond." His "war" was never serious, just some "smart remarks" that were uppity at worst. She wasn't equipped for any number of reasons to respond in kind, which would've been entertaining. But she did respond, in ways that were not to her credit.

I can see this thread getting to be a problem and will have to watch it. But we can give Ms. Summit all due credit without exaggerating her skills or rectitude as this writer does.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
No. I'm with JS completely. Enough said. It's great to give honor where honor is due. And it is certainly DUE. None of us would doubt that. Don't want to make the thread problematic, but this would be over the top in my view, and the story is simply dishonest. Give honor honestly...there is no need for hyperbole like this.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Who is exagerating her skills? The article? I did not bother to read it. I was simply responding to the fact that Pat has currently won more NCs than anyone else to date and has more wins than any other WCBB coach in Div 1 as she approaches 1100. On those two items alone I think it appropriate. At the same time I understand what you are saying, JS, but the problem there is since nothing was ever litigated by the NCAA or addressed publicly it is all vapor and suppositions for all, even if I do expect Geno is closer to the truth.

Giving to her because of an article is nonsense, even a great article which it is not although much of it is good ( I have now read it). She is possibly the best coach ever, not sure that using probably is accurate given folks like John Wooden and Geno in the sport and Anson Dorrance in soccer.

Do it to recognize her record and how she helped to put the sport on the map and then raised it to new levels with Geno.

There is a long history in sports of naming trophies. If not the national championship trophy then maybe the COY trophy.

Geno and Pat are moving towards reconciliation. If they can I would hope so might we and leave the acrimony to other boards and other places.

Besides if and/or when Geno passes Pat for NCs he will literally be the primary holder for a long, long time of the Pat Summitt Trophy. I kind of like the irony of that.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm 100% with Ice.
Times have changed, acrimony is unseemly.
Its time for all of us to come together to honor a great career.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Yeah, I gotta admit, Geno as the long-time holder of the Summitt trophy is pretty good!! I'm all for it, just no lies about UCONN in the ramp-up materials, is all I ask. Putting the nuttiness to rest is the way to go.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I agree that Summitt has accomplished much but she has also caused much harm. Just when WCBB was starting to get the national attention it deserved, she single handedly killed it.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
No. I don't respond negatively to the idea (though I'd lean against) so much as to some of the reasons advanced for it in this article.

The "winningest and best" is only half true. She's not the best and hasn't been for a long time. She is/has been a great recruiter and master motivator. She was outstanding at coaching certain aspects of the game (defense, rebounding) but never, at her best, was as brilliant overall as Geno especially, and a few others.

And she has no special claim to association with the National Championship either directly (Geno will equal and then surpass her record on that in the not so distant future) or by general weight of accomplishment (latter point more arguable).

And the final thing that sticks in my craw is the "Geno waged a war of words to which she didn't respond." His "war" was never serious, just some "smart remarks" that were uppity at worst. She wasn't equipped for any number of reasons to respond in kind, which would've been entertaining. But she did respond, in ways that were not to her credit.

I can see this thread getting to be a problem and will have to watch it. But we can give Ms. Summit all due credit without exaggerating her skills or rectitude as this writer does.

Thanks, JS, for your objective point of view.

I appreciate that Pat made many contributions to women's basketball in the early and middle years of her coaching career. But her false accusations against Geno, and the way she asked the SEC to file her complaints, took her way off my list of respected coaches.

I think it would be awkward for many teams to compete for the "Pat Summit Trophy". It is the National Championship Trophy and it should not in any way have Pat Summit's name or other Tennessee connections on it.

Reaction Score
I'm with JS and Semper, and I won't be putting a plastic Pat on my dashboard, either... ;)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
JS ICE OC you are all ABSOLUTELY RIGHT . No way.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Why do we need to name the trophy for her again? I don't think we need to name the trophy anything other than the Women's NCAA Basketball Trophy. Can you imagine if the men came home last year with the "Adolph Rupp Trophy" or the "Bobby Knight Trophy"?? I think Pat Summitt being in the Basketball Hall of Fame is recognition enough for her stellar career.

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
I don't think putting a name on the NCAA Championship is correct. JMO

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I can see this thread getting to be a problem and will have to watch it.
"Pre-Crime" is on alert...LOL! Clearly TonyC is one of the Boneyard's three "Pre-Cogs", but who would be the other two? Icebear? Milford? Hmm....

Reaction Score
Well said Icebear.

lets all remember that without Summitt and the Vols Geno and UConn as we know them would not have been possible.
Who is exagerating her skills? The article? I did not bother to read it. I was simply responding to the fact that Pat has currently won more NCs than anyone else to date and has more wins than any other WCBB coach in Div 1 as she approaches 1100. On those two items alone I think it appropriate. At the same time I understand what you are saying, JS, but the problem there is since nothing was ever litigated by the NCAA or addressed publicly it is all vapor and suppositions for all, even if I do expect Geno is closer to the truth.

Giving to her because of an article is nonsense, even a great article which it is not although much of it is good ( I have now read it). She is possibly the best coach ever, not sure that using probably is accurate given folks like John Wooden and Geno in the sport and Anson Dorrance in soccer.

Do it to recognize her record and how she helped to put the sport on the map and then raised it to new levels with Geno.

There is a long history in sports of naming trophies. If not the national championship trophy then maybe the COY trophy.

Geno and Pat are moving towards reconciliation. If they can I would hope so might we and leave the acrimony to other boards and other places.

Besides if and/or when Geno passes Pat for NCs he will literally be the primary holder for a long, long time of the Pat Summitt Trophy. I kind of like the irony of that.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I not a big fan of naming champioship trophies - things like the Wooden awards were actually created with the name which is OK especial because he was actually involved in the process. And I think the Lieberman was also 'created with the name', but might be wrong.
I agree that Pat's accomplishments are incredible and worthy of honor, but I just don't think the national championship trophy should be given a personal name.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I think both Pat and Geno have done enough for the sport so that their names should be on annual awards.

Pat raised the bar in WBB and was a pioneer for the sport. Even if the bar is exceeded, it's ok to acknowledge that she established and held the record for most NCs for a long time (since 1991 for NCAA women's championships). Although the author is something of a hack, I have no problem with he premise she deserves her name on the NC trophy.

I also believe Geno should have one of the major COY honors named after him in recognition for how he's raised the bar in terms of coaching young women, designing offenses and defenses, assembling and using talent, and demanding and getting nothing but max effort from multiple generations of young women (no matter how much he likes to bitch about "kids these days").

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
This suggestion is a knee jerk reaction to Pat's terrible illness and unfortunate situation. It would not be considered without the illness or if she was simply retiring .
Yeah if Pat were just retiring, no one would be making a big deal about it at all. It'd be a total non-event.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Yeah if Pat were just retiring, no one would be making a big deal about it at all. It'd be a total non-event.

I'll go one step further: if it was just Pat retiring and not having a terrible illness, 50% of the Boneyarders would NOT be saying, "Go for it!" Just my opinion, of course, but I'm guessing it would be less than 10%...

Reaction Score
Why do we need to name the trophy for her again? I don't think we need to name the trophy anything other than the Women's NCAA Basketball Trophy. Can you imagine if the men came home last year with the "Adolph Rupp Trophy" or the "Bobby Knight Trophy"?? I think Pat Summitt being in the Basketball Hall of Fame is recognition enough for her stellar career.

If they want to give a trophy in Pat's honor then do what is done with one of the games other great coach, John Wooden. Currently the National Player of the Year, both men and women are given the John R. Wooden Award. If they want to changed that on the women side to the Pat Summitt Award, great, but not the National Championship Trophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom