Naheim Alleyne - VT transfer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Naheim Alleyne - VT transfer

Reaction Score
For the record, the state of Vermont's official two letter abbreviation is VT, for whater reason the school uses UVM (as if Ver and Mont were distinct words) as its abbreviation.
I thought UVM was for University of Vermont - Montpelier

Reaction Score
For the record, the state of Vermont's official two letter abbreviation is VT, for whater reason the school uses UVM (as if Ver and Mont were distinct words) as its abbreviation.
They use the Latin, being a public Ivy and all.

Universitas Viridis Montis

1650119257503.png

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'd be totally fine adding Alleyne as our 5th starter and giving him ~26 mpg. He's been a 3 year starter, solid contributer to a tournament team this past season, fills the shooter role we badly need (39% on high volume), hits his FTs, low turnover %, decent size for the 4 guard lineup..

The four out one in offense Hurley is talking about is not necessarily a four-guard offense. He’s fine as a sixth man, but if he’s starting, we’re not doing that well. Not a ball-handling guard, not great at getting to the rim (look at his 2pt FG %) and he doesn’t get to the line.

Like him as the Polley replacement, but we need a better starting guard.

Reaction Score
The four out one in offense Hurley is talking about is not necessarily a four-guard offense. He’s fine as a sixth man, but if he’s starting, we’re not doing that well. Not a ball-handling guard, not great at getting to the rim (look at his 2pt FG %) and he doesn’t get to the line.

Don't disagree with you.. Guys coming in are being sold on PT.. Esp. if they were starters at the schools they're leaving. Will this guy be happy at UConn with 20-25 minutes/per game if SC shows up as a reclass? Good problem to have if you're DH but maybe the guy decides its not worth the risk? Part of the dance that DH has as he begins to fill out the remaining spots of the roster.

Championship teams figure it out

Reaction Score
I thought UVM was for University of Vermont - Montpelier

Fyi... UVM existed before Vermont was a state, and I'm sure well before we were using abbreviations for states. And UVM is nowhere near Montpelier.

Ver = green
Monte = mountain

They named the school (and state) after the mountain range.

Lived in Burlington for 6 years is the only reason I know that.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Fyi... UVM existed before Vermont was a state, and I'm sure well before we were using abbreviations for states. And UVM is nowhere near Montpelier.

Ver = green
Monte = mountain

They named the school (and state) after the mountain range.

Lived in Burlington for 6 years is the only reason I know that.
I lived there 3 years, wife got masters at uvm. I knew ben & Jerry when they were starting and Necter was a friend, we used to hang out in the bar after they closed for the day. He was dating a teacher friend of my wife's, so we got to know him well

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

It's not even necessarily a 3 guard offense. It just means 4 guys who are good enough shooters that they have to be defended outside. If we have a 3 guard offense, it's because Jackson is a guard. Jackson, Newton, Hawkins + a stretch 4.

Reaction Score
How much eligibilty does he have?
2 years, same as Newton. Though both will be seniors like Cole/Martin this year so not sure on likelihood of them using both

Reaction Score
Sounds like a visit in the works if Andre is involved.
I was thinking the same. I really don't love this if he is going to be starting or playing 25-30 min a game. He played in a good offense last year tailored towards his strength(shooting 3s) and he was still wildly inconsistent and terrible from 2. If he is willing to a bench guy playing 15-20 min I guess I'll take him, but right now I am much more intrigued by Williams.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Don't disagree with you.. Guys coming in are being sold on PT.. Esp. if they were starters at the schools they're leaving. Will this guy be happy at UConn with 20-25 minutes/per game if SC shows up as a reclass? Good problem to have if you're DH but maybe the guy decides its not worth the risk? Part of the dance that DH has as he begins to fill out the remaining spots of the roster.

Championship teams figure it out
I am doubting that any player who has started and played a majority of minutes on another team is going to come to UConn being satisfied with PT minutes, especially 20 minutes a game. If so, I question their heart and desire, no matter where they have played Now there may be a few who may want to take a slighter role on a "better team" but I hope these aren't the ones DH is pursuing.

As far a championship teams figuring it out - I would say Kansas and Self have taken care of that

Reaction Score
I am doubting that any player who has started and played a majority of minutes on another team is going to come to UConn being satisfied with PT minutes, especially 20 minutes a game. If so, I question their heart and desire, no matter where they have played Now there may be a few who may want to take a slighter role on a "better team" but I hope these aren't the ones DH is pursuing.

As far a championship teams figuring it out - I would say Kansas and Self have taken care of that
We have 2 guards on the roster. One of which can’t dribble. There’s more than 20 minutes available

Reaction Score

So no Kromah for you, because you'd question his heart and desire?

There are plenty of kids who want to play against a higher caliber and test themselves. They all want to go somewhere and earn starters minutes, but none of them really know whether or not they will get them. Certainly, when Miller transferred here from Cornell he couldn't be certain that he'd be starting over Kenton Facey. He had to come here and find out.

Reaction Score
So no Kromah for you, because you'd question his heart and desire?

There are plenty of kids who want to play against a higher caliber and test themselves. They all want to go somewhere and earn starters minutes, but none of them really know whether or not they will get them. Certainly, when Miller transferred here from Cornell he couldn't be certain that he'd be starting over Kenton Facey. He had to come here and find out.
Kromah was a good veteran depth piece but that's all he was. We had the best backcourt in the country so we didn't need him to be anything more. This team is different, we still need another guy who can have a larger impact.

Reaction Score
Tripp and Andre have followed on IG. Tripp on twitter as well.
With Dexter Dennis looking like he'll commit elsewhere, hearing this news makes me feel very content.

Alleyne isn't close to the defender of Dennis, but he's well-built like Dennis and a way better shooter.

When you boil it down, does this team need more defenders or shooters? We all know the answer to that.

Back to my scouting report on Alleyne, I LOVE how he's coming from a very organized offensive system and a great x's and o's coach in Mike Young.

A career 38.4 3p% on a team that has ranked in each of his three years with the top-100 in 3PA ratio shows me he's got a willingness to let it fly, but he always plays within himself. Exactly the type of guy we need now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know we need more guard depth but I really hope Johnson earns a starting spot. He will need to show he can shoot from 3 and keep from fouling but I’ll be very happy if Samson earns big minutes. So little intel on SJ but he must be confident enough that he hasn’t enter the portal

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom