My sources | Page 6 | The Boneyard

My sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You can't be serious. You really can't possibly believe that UMass is the equivalent of Memphis in either sport.

Obviously UMass isn't as good at basketball as Memphis.

The list of future Big East teams better at basketball than UMass is pretty short: UConn, Cincy, Temple and Memphis.

If you think you can differentiate between UMass, Tulane and Memphis at football? At least UMass has an excuse.

I'm not saying UMass should be in the league. Just pointing out some UConn fans want to keep UMass down like some BC fans want to keep UConn down.

I think they are all wrong. I think Syracuse, Rutgers, BC, UConn and UMass should all want to compete against each other because I think it makes them all better in the long run.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Obviously UMass isn't as good at basketball as Memphis.

The list of future Big East teams better at basketball than UMass is pretty short: UConn, Cincy, Temple and Memphis.

If you think you can differentiate between UMass, Tulane and Memphis at football? At least UMass has an excuse.

I'm not saying UMass should be in the league. Just pointing out some UConn fans want to keep UMass down like some BC fans want to keep UConn down.

I think they are all wrong. I think Syracuse, Rutgers, BC, UConn and UMass should all want to compete against each other because I think it makes them all better in the long run.
You've convinced me.

Reaction Score
Frank, I also enjoy your posts and your blog. I agree that UVA and UNC are not likely to be the next to leave the ACC. If anyone goes I think its FSU, to either B1G or SEC - I don't see them tempted by the B1g 12. Do you agree they are weakest link in ACC? How likely do you think FSU is next B1G add and do we have a chance at #16 in that scenario? Of course I'm assuming the rest of the ACC holds firm to get us in as #16.

Reaction Score
Frank, I also enjoy your posts and your blog. I agree that UVA and UNC are not likely to be the next to leave the ACC. If anyone goes I think its FSU, to either B1G or SEC - I don't see them tempted by the B1g 12. Do you agree they are weakest link in ACC? How likely do you think FSU is next B1G add and do we have a chance at #16 in that scenario? Of course I'm assuming the rest of the ACC holds firm to get us in as #16.
If FSU leaves the ACC, then USF is the replacement.

Reaction Score
You don't need to convince me of those things, but as I said in the first sentence of my post: fans underestimate how much university presidents OVERESTIMATE the value of BC. I'm not saying that I personally believe that BC is worth it, but university presidents have come to the conclusion that they are. As I've also said, I thought that the ACC was going to add UConn instead of Louisville from the get go. I pointed out on my blog during the ACC expansion talks that the gap between UConn and Louisville football was not nearly as much as the media was making out to be. However, UConn completely got crushed on selling that viewpoint themselves. I even told some UConn people during that week where the ACC was debating between expansion candidates that UConn was COMPLETELY losing the PR battle, the football quality perception gap (regardless of the actual gap in reality) wasn't even close, and UConn needed to change that perception immediately. It never happened. Props need to go to Louisville AD Tom Jurich on that front - he got it done and was relentless in selling that they were the "football" choice even though Louisville is as much of a basketball school as anyone.

Also, I believe that I underestimated how much of a detriment that the relative youth of UConn playing football at the FBS-level was going to be in the process. It might not be fair, but the pre-FBS football history of UConn (or any other school that has only recently upgraded to FBS football) is looked as non-existent by the power conferences, and that's something that can't be resolved with anything other than the passage of time. In essence, it was more advantageous for a school with a long and historically awful history like Rutgers than to have a short period of good rising prospects like UConn.

Look - I feel for you guys. UConn did pretty much everything that it was supposed to do as an athletic department over the past 15 years. If these realignment moves were being made 10 or 15 years from now, UConn wouldn't have been sweating. However, the timing is that massive changes are occurring now, which makes it more tenuous. You essentially have to hope that the ACC gets poached again (and even as a Big Ten guy that would benefit from that happening, I don't think it's anywhere near as likely as the realignment Armageddon people want to make it out to be).
Do people not realize that college football was invented in Storrs. we need to be more forthright in our history.

Reaction Score
What uconn has going for it that is alluded to often but should be more front and center in these discussions: the state politicians and tax-payers have shown a continued willingness to put loot down in order to be among the best. They are literally willing to spend up to and perhaps through bankruptcy.

Like 2.5B committed to capital improvements in the last 20 years, with another 3.2B in the next TEN YEARS ( assuming the 2.1B recently announced skates through the liberal legislature as expected ). In a horrible economy over the last decade that has hurt Connecticut more than most.

A new tech park on campus, a new hospital and biotech research facility, new dorms, classroom buildings, 500 new tenured professors, 30 percent increase in enrollment, thousands of STEM scholarships - all in the near future, all beyond the promise and wish state ( what I like to call the state of Rutgers ), and in addition to the expanded enrollment and massive overhaul on storrs campus, from the first 2B.

These are real and extraordinary commitments and plans, not Rutgers "promises" with no action, or FSU "imagine what we will look like based on these demographic projections". The state buying enrollment growth, faculty, research and students. Bird in the hand.

Secondly, CT ( like the rest of tri-state/new england) is population dense, money rich, perfectly situated between a number of major media markets with established presences AND room for growth.

Finally, when discussing wishes and dreams, long-term demographics, etc, it is not outside of the realm of possibility that tech innovations in the near term could create a revolution in cheap energy and high-speed rail in the next two decades...you would be hard pressed to find a state in the US that would benefit more from these than Connecticut.

In short, CT is a safe long-term bet with LOTS of upside.

Reaction Score
You lost me with high-speed rail.

The wave of the future, as long as temperatures stay between 55 and 62 degrees. Otherwise, expect delays in service.

Reaction Score
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...#project=COLLEGES1106&articleTabs=interactive

highly doubt FSU delivers the entire state of Florida and allows the B1G to change maximum rates. Even outside of that poll in my experience FSU is mostly popular in the Tallahassee and Panhandle region only.

UCF has one of the largest alumni base because they are one of the largest schools in the country.

FSU has competition, but in comparing the intensity and interest state-wide of FSU in the state of Florida compared to UCF or any state in the Northeast is a losing battle. There is zero question that FSU will deliver the maximum rate for the entire state. None. College football is the #1 sport in the state of Florida. Telling someone that FSU wouldn't carry the state of Florida because it's the #2 team behind Florida is like saying that the Patriots don't carry Boston because, all things being equal, they're behind the Red Sox in fan intensity. That's would be an asinine statement to anyone in the Northeast, just as it's crazy to say that FSU wouldn't carry all of Florida to a Floridian. The demand and interest in college football in football dwarfs what's available in the Northeast.

Reaction Score
I disagree. I think if FSU goes anywhere it goes to the SEC. They won't be asked by the B1G, and unless the Big 12 does something to make it more attractive and stable, FSU won't want to go there.

Reaction Score
That's an interesting thought. I may have the TV industry person that ran those numbers do an updated version soon. My guess is that UConn would end up with something close to Syracuse's number when including NYC. From what I recall, the assumption for was that they'd deliver Upstate New York and get "partial credit" for the NYC market. It would like be similar for UConn, where they'd get full credit for the state of Connecticut and partial credit for the NYC market.

Fairfield county is in the NYC DMA. Can we get full credit for that?

caw

Reaction Score
FSU has competition, but in comparing the intensity and interest state-wide of FSU in the state of Florida compared to UCF or any state in the Northeast is a losing battle. There is zero question that FSU will deliver the maximum rate for the entire state. None. College football is the #1 sport in the state of Florida. Telling someone that FSU wouldn't carry the state of Florida because it's the #2 team behind Florida is like saying that the Patriots don't carry Boston because, all things being equal, they're behind the Red Sox in fan intensity. That's would be an asinine statement to anyone in the Northeast, just as it's crazy to say that FSU wouldn't carry all of Florida to a Floridian. The demand and interest in college football in football dwarfs what's available in the Northeast.

Horrid analogy. Patriots and Red Sox have overlapping fanbases (large overlap). Florida and FSU have a much smaller overlap (if any at all). Closer comparison would be Mets and Yankees or Knicks and Nets or Jets and Giants.

Reaction Score
Caw - Fair enough, so think of it as claiming that the Mets can't get carriage for SNY in New York because the Yankees are more popular. That's not true. The point still stands: FSU can deliver the entire state of Florida all by itself. There might be other reasons why FSU wouldn't get added by the Big Ten, but it certainly wouldn't be because of TV money. FSU adds the most TV money (both nationally and for the BTN) for the Big Ten out of any plausible expansion candidate - it's honestly not even close. I understand why people here don't want to believe that the Big Ten would look southward for its next school(s), but I'm telling you that's what they *want* to do. The question is whether they can *execute* it because UVA and definitely UNC don't have the wandering eyes that Maryland did.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
Caw - Fair enough, so think of it as claiming that the Mets can't get carriage for SNY in New York because the Yankees are more popular. That's not true. The point still stands: FSU can deliver the entire state of Florida all by itself. There might be other reasons why FSU wouldn't get added by the Big Ten, but it certainly wouldn't be because of TV money. FSU adds the most TV money (both nationally and for the BTN) for the Big Ten out of any plausible expansion candidate - it's honestly not even close. I understand why people here don't want to believe that the Big Ten would look southward for its next school(s), but I'm telling you that's what they *want* to do. The question is whether they can *execute* it because UVA and definitely UNC don't have the wandering eyes that Maryland did.

Frank, if you think Delaney's wish list is currently something like ND, FSU, UNC, UVA, GTech and then maybe Connecticut, where would you have predicted MD and RU would have fallen on that list immediately prior to their invites?

Reaction Score

Another bad analogy. Yankees and Mets are 2 teams in 1 market. Florida has 5 D-1 teams in 1 market. Thats apples to oranges comparison.

By you saying FSU (with 20% of Florida being fans of the Noles) can carry the entire state of Florida with maximum subscription fees is bologna. By you saying that you are also saying that U Cal can do the same for California, NC St or Duke alone could do the same for NC or Tex A&M would do the same for the entire state of Texas.

How are you going to force maximum subsciption fees on 80% of the population that has no interest in the Noles or B1G? As I said before the Noles most popular in Tallahasee and the pan handle. Go alittle further south and its Gator Country (along with UF being the most popular team). Miami and southern Florida is mostly Hurricane fans (probably the most fickle fans in sports) and then you have UCF with about the same amount of fans with Miami and USF not far behind those 2. There is not 1 dominant team in Florida and there are a lot of New England transplants in Florida with no interest in the Noles.

Since such a large portion of hte population are seniors you would also have a very difficult time forcing cable carriers to push the B1G Network on them with no customers fighting back. Add to the fact that it is SEC country and BN would get worked by the SEC network and come nowhere close to competing in households with carriage and viewership ratings.

Since you brought up YES vs SNY maybe you should read this article from 2013.

http://metsmerizedonline.com/2013/01/yes-and-msg-networks-trump-sny-in-2012-viewership.html

SNY comes nowhere even close to competing with YES in the NYC DMA or tristate area.

During 2012, YES’s combined total-day average of 32,000 households in the three metered markets of New York, Buffalo and Hartford-New Haven within its footprint was more than MSG (16,000) and SNY (14,000) combined. In primetime, YES notched 78,000 households, versus 54,000 for MSG and 41,000 for SNY.

It also says YES had 75% more viewers than SNY. And the Hartford-New Haven SNY numbers are misleading because those were demanded by Conn residents in order to watch UConn sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom