My names | Page 5 | The Boneyard

My names

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Recruiting need to be part of the equation. Maybe not as big a deal when we were looking for Edsall's replacement, but we can't accept a guy who won't improve our recruiting.
The only way to improve recruiting is to hire the right staff. Those are the guys knocking on doors.

Reaction Score
From his Wiki page:

Clawson describes his coaching style as one that utilizes the available talent to maximize success. His philosophy focuses on getting individual playmakers more touches rather than sticking to a rigidly-defined system. His offenses have displayed components of the Pro-Style, Spread and Power Running attacks. His influences included Hank Small whom he coached under at Lehigh University and numerous NFL teams including the New York Jets, New York Giants and others.[11]

A philosophy I can get behind. No talk of prototypes.

Not enough FBS experience for my liking and I would also like to see a little NFL experience sprinkled in (playing and/or coaching). Yet, I do admit that the following quote from Wiki is appealing as it is about polar opposite of PP as on can get:
“Clawson describes his coaching style as one that utilizes the available talent to maximize success. His philosophy focuses on getting individual playmakers more touches rather than sticking to a rigidly-defined system. His offenses have displayed components of the Pro-Style, Spread and Power Running attacks."

Reaction Score
Clawson shares the same birth date as PP,Chandler Whitmer, and myself. Could we go to the well a 3rd time???

Reaction Score
Yes, Big Red Nation doesn't warrant criticism. Yet it was their coach who was trashing them for leaving early.

Big Ten, it's possible. We just need to leave earlier. Show them we belong.

Nothing like doubling down on stupidity. Aren't you the guy that said leaving early doesn't happen everywhere?

Keep embarassing yourself.

Reaction Score
Clawson shares the same birth date as PP,Chandler Whitmer, and myself. Could we go to the well a 3rd time???
So you're the problem? Fan base exit is directly to your left.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
From Wikipedia, "...After the unexpected and dominant performance, Narduzzi was pursued for head coaching jobs and a significant raise to become the defensive coordinator at Texas A&M University, but chose to remain at Michigan State and a 2012 defense that again led the Big Ten in total defense."

Coulda went to A&M, How much would it take to bring him to Storrs/East Hartford? How long did he stay in New Haven before he left? Was he raised there or did his family move when he was 4 weeks old (i.e. is he really a CT guy...which should not matter in the first place. Look what having a CT guy has brought this institution over the last 26 games).?

I didn't know about the A&M job. And in that case he's a really LONG shot. And I have no clue how long he was in CT for.

Reaction Score
I didn't know about the A&M job. And in that case he's a really LONG shot. And I have no clue how long he was in CT for.
Not really take the time to read these articles...
http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2013/06/michigan_state_football_coach_46.html
http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2013/03/loyal_michigan_state_defensive.html
http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2012/11/how_soon_will_pat_narduzzi_be.html

I took some time and googled both Narduzzi and Venables last night using their name and head coaching jobs. Won't be surprised to see them both on the short list. The Burton/Schenkman facility and filed plans for Rentschler expansion (these have been on file for a while now according to my friend who works for state over seeing capital improvement projects) will be big..especially Burton/Schenkman. But in the end it will come down to money and what they budget for a staff.

Reaction Score
If I were going with a MAC coach, I'd lean more toward Lembo from Ball State. I just think he has been a consistent winner. Took a team that went 2-10, 4-8 and went 6-6, 9-4 with wins over Indiana and Army. He has coached in the northeast (Lehigh, Assistant at Dartmouth) the south (Elon) and the mid-west and been able to succeed in 3 very different types of places.

Anyone who has Rossamundo on his or her list, forget it. UConn isn't hiring a D2 guy as its head coach. Not a chance. George DeLeone has a better shot at being named head coach at UConn than he does.

Reaction Score
Not really take the time to read these articles...

I took some time and googled both Narduzzi and Venables last night using their name and head coaching jobs. Won't be surprised to see them both on the short list. The Burton/Schenkman facility and filed plans for Rentschler expansion (these have been on file for a while now according to my friend who works for state over seeing capital improvement projects) will be big..especially Burton/Schenkman. But in the end it will come down to money and what they budget for a staff.

FYI, CDR’s website clearly state that the Rent can be expanded to 50K

http://crdact.net/projects/completed/rentschler_field.html
“In December of 2007, UTC offered the State an additional land donation of 65 usable acres which the State can develop as a permanent parking plan, with supporting infrastructure. Additional parking is being developed and is scheduled for completion in fall of 2011.

The Stadium was designed to meet or exceed NCAA Division 1-A requirements for football, and can also accommodate other grass-surface events such as soccer, rugby and lacrosse. Total stadium capacity is 40,642. The Stadium has been designed with expansion capacity for 50,000 seats.”

Reaction Score
FYI, CDR’s website clearly state that the Rent can be expanded to 50K

http://crdact.net/projects/completed/rentschler_field.html
“In December of 2007, UTC offered the State an additional land donation of 65 usable acres which the State can develop as a permanent parking plan, with supporting infrastructure. Additional parking is being developed and is scheduled for completion in fall of 2011.

The Stadium was designed to meet or exceed NCAA Division 1-A requirements for football, and can also accommodate other grass-surface events such as soccer, rugby and lacrosse. Total stadium capacity is 40,642. The Stadium has been designed with expansion capacity for 50,000 seats.”
I was told expansion will be 60,000-65,000... guy who sits next to me in Sect 242 was on design project for Rentschler...he said max is 65,000. Either way the expansion plans are on file and ready to go...they just need to be funded.

Reaction Score
If I were going with a MAC coach, I'd lean more toward Lembo from Ball State. I just think he has been a consistent winner. Took a team that went 2-10, 4-8 and went 6-6, 9-4 with wins over Indiana and Army. He has coached in the northeast (Lehigh, Assistant at Dartmouth) the south (Elon) and the mid-west and been able to succeed in 3 very different types of places.

Anyone who has Rossamundo on his or her list, forget it. UConn isn't hiring a D2 guy as its head coach. Not a chance. George DeLeone has a better shot at being named head coach at UConn than he does.
If you are talking MAC coaches you have to include PJ Fleck in the mix as well.

Reaction Score
Top 8 assistants on the verge of landing head coaching jobs:

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a...ts-on-the-verge-of-landing-head-coaching-jobs

Smart
Wilson
Wilcox
Nussmeier
Narduzzi
Frost
Morris
Durkin

Others: Mark Snyder, Chuck Martin, Tim Brewster, Shawn Watson, Eddie Gran

Just sharing - some are probably out of reach though based on comments within.

I really hope Warde follow's Cincinnati's recent path to success and only considers current head coaches who are having success at their current gig.

We need to come up with a "Moneyball" approach to picking a head coach. I'm not talking about finding someone on the cheap, i'm talking about finding a statistical method to aid in picking a coach. We need to figure out a way to increase our odds of success. I have a theory that the best way to maximize your odds of picking a good head coach is to hire a currently successful head coach. P would have never been hired if we went this route last time. Jim Calhoun was a successful head coach when he was hired at UCONN.

Reaction Score
I really hope Warde follow's Cincinnati's recent path to success and only considers current head coaches who are having success at their current gig.

We need to come up with a "Moneyball" approach to picking a head coach. I'm not talking about finding someone on the cheap, i'm talking about finding a statistical method to aid in picking a coach. We need to figure out a way to increase our odds of success. I have a theory that the best way to maximize your odds of picking a good coach is to hire a currently successful head coach. P would have never been hired if we went this route. Jim Calhoun was a successful head coach when he was hired.

I got 2 words for you. North Dakota St.

Reaction Score
Shoot for Petrino. He can get us where we desire and bring in recruits as he has proven. I know he brings baggage but does it matter in the short term (3 or so seasons). Once he gets us established even higher, then we can bring in the right honest personality., and he can get his high-end program he desires to be at again.

Reaction Score
Top 8 assistants on the verge of landing head coaching jobs:

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a...ts-on-the-verge-of-landing-head-coaching-jobs

Smart
Wilson
Wilcox
Nussmeier
Narduzzi
Frost
Morris
Durkin

Others: Mark Snyder, Chuck Martin, Tim Brewster, Shawn Watson, Eddie Gran

Just sharing - some are probably out of reach though based on comments within.
Medic it's kind of ironic how a guy like Venables has been a combo of picky and passed over during his time at OU. Now he has gone from a guy who made a list like that to no where near it. He has made comments about one reason he took the Clemson DC job was to help him get a HC job somewhere.

Reaction Score
Medic it's kind of ironic how a guy like Venables has been a combo of picky and passed over during his time at OU. Now he has gone from a guy who made a list like that to no where near it. He has made comments about one reason he took the Clemson DC job was to help him get a HC job somewhere.

Makes ya wonder doesn't it.

These lists are like "flavor of the month" sometimes but it does hopefully help ground people who think UConn can just go out and hire anyone they want because they can wave money $$ at them.

Reaction Score
Makes ya wonder doesn't it.

These lists are like "flavor of the month" sometimes but it does hopefully help ground people who think UConn can just go out and hire anyone they want because they can wave at them.
Yeah...ND DC Bob Diaco is also missing from that list. I think there are some guys from that list that would listen to and possibly take an offer from Warde though.

Reaction Score
Yeah...ND DC Bob Diaco is also missing from that list. I think there are some guys from that list that would listen to and possibly take an offer from Warde though.

Oh I agree... Some are within reach (or at least within reach with a pike pole) but some, while quality hires, just aren't gonna wander over to Storrs despite best efforts (for example the comment on Frost - " If the Nebraska job doesn’t open, expect Frost to stick around Eugene.").

Reaction Score
How about Matt Campbell at Toledo. 33 years old, currently the youngest head coach in FBS. He had a great start to his head coaching career last year and they are doing well this year (gave Missouri a tough game). Picking up a young MAC coach is how Cincinnati found Brian Kelly and Butch Jones. I watched a few videos of this guy, he seems to be a very impressive communicator. If he finishes near the top of the MAC again he should be given consideration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Campbell_(American_football_coach)

Reaction Score
Add Pat Narduzzi from Mich State, Bob Diaco of ND, Mark D'Onofrio of Miami, Brent Venables and Chad Morris of Clemson, John McNulty of Tampa Bay to that list. I'm gonna go with Venables and D'Onofrio.

Now you're talking. The first list was uninspiring. Might as well have had Paul Pasqualoni on it. Need to step outside of the Northeast and get something really different.

Reaction Score

Diaco is a football version of Ben Stein. You want energy? Look somewhere else.

Reaction Score
More on Matt Campbell from Toledo. This article ran announcing his hiring. Very Impressive. BTW Nick Saban started his head coaching career at Toledo.
TOLEDO, Ohio -- Toledo has hired offensive coordinator Matt Campbell as its new coach.
It's the first head coaching job for the 32-year-old Campbell who was named the school's interim on Friday after Tim Beckman announced he was leaving for Illinois.
Toledo officials moved quickly to hire Campbell, though, announcing the move Monday night after Beckman said last week that he wanted Campbell to join him with the Illini.
Campbell has been at Toledo the past three seasons and before that had coached at Bowling Green and Mount Union.
He said being a head coach has always been his "golden dream" and that he looks forward to the ultimate goal of bringing the Mid-American Conference championship back to Toledo in 2012.
He said he expected to be questioned due to his young age, telling reporters "age is just a number ... I've been a leader of men my whole life."
Campbell coached the offensive line at Bowling Green for two seasons before moving to Toledo, where he also coached the line. Before that, he spent two seasons as the offensive coordinator and line coach at Mount Union, winning consecutive Division III championships with the Purple Raiders.
Announcing the hiring, athletic director Mike O'Brien called Campbell "a true champion."
"Matt Campbell epitomizes what being a Rocket is all about," he said. "That is taking care of business in the classroom, making good decisions socially and competing for championships on the football field."
Campbell, a native of Massillon, Ohio, played on three national championship teams at Mount Union in 2000, 2001 and 2002. He was twice named the Ohio Athletic Conference's best defensive lineman.
His father was a high school football coach in northeast Ohio.
Beckman on Friday called Campbell one of the brightest young minds in college football, and perhaps that's fitting at Toledo, where there has been a pretty good history of football coaches.

Reaction Score
Guy from the MAC I like is Pete Lembo of Ball St. Built Lehigh and Elon into a winner on the FCS level and has done a really nice job at Ball St so far (6-6, 9-4 and 3-1 so far this season). Their offense is one of the best in the conference and he has an overall record of 97-47 as a head coach.

Reaction Score
Guy from the MAC I like is Pete Lembo of Ball St. Built Lehigh and Elon into a winner on the FCS level and has done a really nice job at Ball St so far (6-6, 9-4 and 3-1 so far this season). Their offense is one of the best in the conference and he has an overall record of 97-47 as a head coach.

Lembo is a great candidate. I'll be doing handstands if we get Lembo or Campbell. The MAC has proven to be a great incubator of young coaching talent, Warde being a MAC guy certainly knows this. UCONN needs to take a long swim in this talent pool very soon.

BTW Toledo plays Ball State on saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom