My Heart Goes Out To BC.... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

My Heart Goes Out To BC....

Reaction Score
And hopefully BC has a new AD who will make the right hires. I believe he will be doing a lot of that over the next year. With Jerry York he does not have to do much with the hockey program.

BC hired an up and coming college athletic administrator with no experience running a major college athletic department. You have to like his energy, but it's hard to know if he will be good or bad at this point. The facilities are below average, although the new indoor practice facility for football will help, but he will have to convince the administration to increase investment. Plus, it looks like he will be hiring a new football coach, a men's basketball coach, a women's basketball coach, and possibly a new hockey coach as Jerry York is now 72 years old. Doing all of that and getting it right is a tall task for even the best athletic director.

Reaction Score
My point exactly...hockey is and always will be first in Boston landscape...BC hoops will need to catch lightening in a bottle to even touch the Celtics..nothing they can do on the baseball diamond will even come close to the Sox.....as for football once BC and the Pats passed each other in the on-field success category they were done. Any new coaching hire in football will just appease the alumni.

I would never expect BC Sports to ever surpass any of the Pro teams in Boston. However if BC can be competitive they can attract good crowds for football, basketball and hockey and be more relevant in Boston. Many of the games are very family friendly and offer a good value. Tickets for BC-ND start at $100 and go up to $160.00. This will be the case for big OOC games and upper echelon ACC teams.

BC is in the process of adding a new baseball facility. It will be tough for BC, or any New England team to be competitive in baseball. The spring weather does not permit this. If i had a child that was a great baseball player I would be sending them south to a team that has the ability to be playing games in February and March outdoors and in good weather.

Reaction Score
My point exactly...hockey is and always will be first in Boston landscape...BC hoops will need to catch lightening in a bottle to even touch the Celtics..

That is because hockey is a far superior sport compared to BB. ;)

Reaction Score
BC was competitive in the ACC and will be again. The new AD is very impressive. He replaces two predecessors who made numerous bad decisions. It sounds as if the new AD will be given the tools needed to make the right hires and make BC competitive again. Time will tell!

I agree a pizzing match is lame but I had to point out the irony of what was said!

You had to why?

Reaction Score
I would never expect BC Sports to ever surpass any of the Pro teams in Boston. However if BC can be competitive they can attract good crowds for football, basketball and hockey and be more relevant in Boston. Many of the games are very family friendly and offer a good value. Tickets for BC-ND start at $100 and go up to $160.00. This will be the case for big OOC games and upper echelon ACC teams.

BC is in the process of adding a new baseball facility. It will be tough for BC, or any New England team to be competitive in baseball. The spring weather does not permit this. If i had a child that was a great baseball player I would be sending them south to a team that has the ability to be playing games in February and March outdoors and in good weather.
It's easy to remember pre-Belichick/Pre-Kraft days of the Pat's when BC football actually meant something in the Boston market. I guess Spaz and the Dazzler helped put the final nail in that coffin

Reaction Score
I just heard a radio promo for the game pitching "one of college football's greatest rivalries - Boston College versus Notre Dame." They don't even play each other every year. I could name at least 50 greater rivalries in college football. This is not Michigan-Ohio State, Alabama-Auburn, Texas-Oklahoma, USC-UCLA or virtually any major annual trophy game. Notre Dame alone has 3 rivalries that it maintains every season (USC, Stanford and Navy) that I'm sure mean more to it than BC.

Reaction Score
I just heard a radio promo for the game pitching "one of college football's greatest rivalries - Boston College versus Notre Dame." They don't even play each other every year. I could name at least 50 greater rivalries in college football. This is not Michigan-Ohio State, Alabama-Auburn, Texas-Oklahoma, USC-UCLA or virtually any major annual trophy game. Notre Dame alone has 3 rivalries that it maintains every season (USC, Stanford and Navy) that I'm sure mean more to it than BC.

The UCONN-USF trophy game is greater than the BC-ND game.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Another sad aspect of the BC situation is the hatred they receive from within the ACC. Other than Syracuse and Pitt, the schools have nothing but disdain for BC. They get no respect at all.

If you read the AAC fan sites, BC has two things going against them: they're "Yankees" and losers. That's deadly in a Southern conference. Once in a while, you'll see a comment saying, "I wish we had taken UConn instead of BC".

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
BC would not be competitive in the old BE with the way they are running their programs right now. The move to the ACC or more exactly the merger between the ACC and the BE football schools has nothing to do with their failures. They are the worst run program in the country.

They hired an AD with an tOSU and MSU background, so maybe they realize the errors of their way. Nothing changes the fortunes of a team like the hiring of a good coach and BC will be looking for one in 75 days.

Reaction Score
UCONN, BC, Syracuse and Rutgers should have never separated in conference realignment. They benefit from each other and together had the ability to drive interest in college athletics in a critical market area. It would have taken tremendous leadership to accomplish that, to the extent it was even possible. Unfortunately, there were folks like GDF involved who were the antithesis of leadership and were devoid of vision.

All these programs are at risk of being in a long downward spiral. Granted, UCONN will endure it with less conference money, but are BC fans really enjoying the experience? BC hired a new AD who is about 14 years old. Might end up being a great hire, but there will be some tough lessons for him to learn along with way and BC has little room for error right now.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
What BC team (any sport) has had the most success in the ACC (overall or single season)?

Reaction Score
I'm not a BC fan and hope they suffer endlessly- mostly, because they intentionally set out to destroy UConn, not once but twice

Having said that - I'd give anything to be in their shoes. They are in the P5, period. We are in purgatory.

Reaction Score
I'm not a BC fan and hope they suffer endlessly- mostly, because they intentionally set out to destroy UConn, not once but twice

Having said that - I'd give anything to be in their shoes. They are in the P5, period. We are in purgatory.

Of the two major men's sports, football and basketball, and the one major women's sport, basketball, which school, UCONN or BC will win more conference or national championships in the next ten years? Throw out women's hoops if you like.

BC has more money from conference affiliation, but hell will freeze over, thaw, and refreeze again before they win another conference championship in any of the major sports. I would rather be competitive in AAC football which we eventually will be, than hoping to win 2 or 3 conference games each season. As for hoops, UCONN's hoops programs are nationally relevant in a way that BC never has been nor ever will be, regardless of conference affiliation.

Reaction Score
Of the two major men's sports, football and basketball, and the one major women's sport, basketball, which school, UCONN or BC will win more conference or national championships in the next ten years? Throw out women's hoops if you like.

BC has more money from conference affiliation, but hell will freeze over, thaw, and refreeze again before they win another conference championship in any of the major sports. I would rather be competitive in AAC football which we eventually will be, than hoping to win 2 or 3 conference games each season. As for hoops, UCONN's hoops programs are nationally relevant in a way that BC never has been nor ever will be, regardless of conference affiliation.

I presume you are joking.

Using that analogy, who will win more conference championships, Princeton or UConn?

We are in a very bad spot, financially. We are in a very bad spot from a recruiting and prestige perspective. We are in a bad conference- with no historic rivalries and little that excites the fanbase. We are seeing the results already, on the field and on the court. The P5 programs are on a deliberate course to destroy everyone else. We are being hurt, a lot. this is not sustainable.

No one could argue they'd rather win a conf championship and remain out of the P5. BC will turn it around one day, as will Rutgers. They'll have too much $$ to screw it up every year.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
From the article: The Eagles made it to the Quick Lane Bowl last year, but only because they fattened up on UMass, Wagner, Buffalo, and UConn.

this one stung a little

Reaction Score
I presume you are joking.

Using that analogy, who will win more conference championships, Princeton or UConn?

We are in a very bad spot, financially. We are in a very bad spot from a recruiting and prestige perspective. We are in a bad conference- with no historic rivalries and little that excites the fanbase. We are seeing the results already, on the field and on the court. The P5 programs are on a deliberate course to destroy everyone else. We are being hurt, a lot. this is not sustainable.

No one could argue they'd rather win a conf championship and remain out of the P5. BC will turn it around one day, as will Rutgers. They'll have too much $$ to screw it up every year.

I'm not joking at all. Over the last three seasons you wouldn't have to take off your shoes to count the number of conference wins BC has in football and basketball COMBINED. Do you think fans and alumni have any interest in that?

Rutgers is just totally inept.

Our position is tough, but we can compete on a relative basis in football and hoops will be fine even in this awful conferece. Conference realignment is not over either...........

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
YEA RIGHT..NOT...

BC-Notre Dame hardly even registers here anymore - The Boston Globe

Shaughnessy hard on the locals interest....

While I could care less for BC troubles it is still really sad for Northeast college football. Having said that it will be the only time I will root for ND this year or any other for that fact.
You'd never know the teams are irrelevant from the ticket prices. I paid $400 for two tickets on StubHub for an anniversary gift for my husband, the ND fan. I told him I'll root for ND/against BC but I'm wearing my UConn sweatshirt. Let's see how that flies in Chestnut Hill.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
You'd never know the teams are irrelevant from the ticket prices. I paid $400 for two tickets on StubHub for an anniversary gift for my husband, the ND fan. I told him I'll root for ND/against BC but I'm wearing my UConn sweatshirt. Let's see how that flies in Chestnut Hill.
HuskyNan, when you divorce your loser ND fan hubby, know that I tailgate in blue lot by the Shot Doctor.

Reaction Score

I will be sure to say hello if I see you!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom